The ONLY way Loadouts can work

First off, when I say “Loadouts”, I mean pre-set loadouts like Reach. Definitely NOT custom loadouts from Halo 4 - those were cancer.

Now, one of the valid complaints about the possible removal of loadouts is that people won’t get to start with the Carbine or Light Rifle or Storm Rifle or any other gun they prefer over the Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle.

So - here’s my proposal on how loadouts can potentially bring some greatness to Halo 5: Guardians.

Now firstly, we can’t have precision and automatic loadouts together. It kills automatics and precision weapons dominate, and then the game just becomes a precision fest.

Here’s my vision:

There are two main Slayer gametypes: Slayer and Slayer Pro.

In Slayer, the loadouts are pre-set with automatic weapons. Players get to choose from the AR, Storm Rifle, and Suppressor. This means that people get to choose whatever weapon they prefer and the game stays true to normal slayer - there are no precision starters.

Then in Slayer Pro, the loadouts are pre-set with the precision weapons. Players get to choose from the BR, DMR, Carbine, and Light Rifle. Now the gametype may be called Slayer Pro, but it will not be the Slayer Pro from Reach, with radars off and all that. It will just be Slayer with the precision weapons. Think Slayer BRs from Halo 3.

In both gametypes, secondaries will be magnums and grenades will be frags, obviously.

Thoughts? I feel this is a great way to allow players to use the weapon they prefer while keeping the game from becoming the precision fest that Halo 4 is.

I’d rather everybody start with the exact same weapons. Being able to choose from different weapons would mean 343 would have to balance everything out so that neither gun would be better than one another, and Halo 4 has shown us that this only makes weapons that are clones of each other. Having a more unique weapon sandbox, where every weapon behaves substantially different from each other, is the way to go imo. Makes the guns much more unique and fun to use, rather than choosing between the BR or DMR because of how the weapon looks.

So you want to once again drive a wedge between the automatics and the precision rifles and put them back in their place as glorified secondaries? And not only do that but then have them treated like primaries any way? No thanks, 343 has done the right thing by trying to bring the automatics up in the world. Granted there’s room for improvement but it can be done. I actually made a thread regarding what can be done to automatics in Halo 5 to really cement their new place in the sand box as true primaries. And here it is.

And what are you planning to do to the DMR and other long range rifles? Are you going to nerf their range and turn them into medium range rifles? Or are you just gonna leave them in their current niche? It sounds kinda weird to keep the medium and long range rifles together but then cut out the close range rifles.

You seem to have the idea that a rifle is either an automatic or a precision weapon and that’s the end of the story. It’s not. It’s better to think of the primaries as either a close, medium or long range rifle. The AR, SR, and Suppressor are close range rifles, the BR and CC are medium range rifles and the DMR and LR are long range rifles.

If you’re going to separate the close range rifles why do you think keeping the medium and long range ones together is ok? Just because they’re precision weapons doesn’t mean they occupy the same niche. The DMR is as about as closely related to the BR as it is with the AR. All three of these weapons occupy different niches. On the surface the BR and DMR may have similarities but they both accomplish different things in the sandbox.

If you’re dead set on separating the rifles based on their niche you had might as well make three different game types instead of just two. One with just close range rifles, one with just medium range rifles and one with long range rifles only. Unless of course you plan on turning all the long range rifles into medium range rifles that it is. Then I guess it could work but who wants four or five rifles within the same niche?

> So you want to once again drive a wedge between the automatics and the precision rifles and put them back in their place as glorified secondaries? And not only do that but then have them treated like primaries any way? No thanks, 343 has done the right thing by trying to bring the automatics up in the world. Granted there’s room for improvement but it can be done. I actually made a thread regarding what can be done to automatics in Halo 5 to really cement their new place in the sand box as true primaries. And here it is.
>
> And what are you planning to do to the DMR and other long range rifles? Are you going to nerf their range and turn them into medium range rifles? Or are you just gonna leave them in their current niche? It sounds kinda weird to keep the medium and long range rifles together but then cut out the close range rifles.
>
> You seem to have the idea that a rifle is either an automatic or a precision weapon and that’s the end of the story. It’s not. It’s better to think of the primaries as either a close, medium or long range rifle. The AR, SR, and Suppressor are close range rifles, the BR and CC are medium range rifles and the DMR and LR are long range rifles.
>
> If you’re going to separate the close range rifles why do you think keeping the medium and long range ones together is ok? Just because they’re precision weapons doesn’t mean they occupy the same niche. The DMR is as about as closely related to the BR as it is with the AR. All three of these weapons occupy different niches. On the surface the BR and DMR may have similarities but they both accomplish different things in the sandbox.
>
> If you’re dead set on separating the rifles based on their niche you had might as well make three different game types instead of just two. One with just close range rifles, one with just medium range rifles and one with long range rifles only. Unless of course you plan on turning all the long range rifles into medium range rifles that it is. Then I guess it could work but who wants four or five rifles within the same niche?

Just… Just this. All of this.

343 took the right steps with Halo 4 and it’s weapons. They actually reminded players that the Automatics are Primary weapons.

343 should allow players to choose their weapons upon spawning into a game and when they are respawning. Just because 343 needs to balance out the weapons, Doesn’t mean that they have to make them all the same.

I’m only going to talk in regards to Halo: Reach as I refuse to play Halo 4 and I don’t know about the problems people had with that.

I’ve always been in favour of designing gametypes around Loadouts. Rather then only making an AA the difference, change the rest of the Loadout. For example, one Loadout has the DMR, Hologram and 1 grenade, while another will have Sprint, AR and 1 grenade, and other can have Plasma Repeater, AL and no grenades. Designed around being balanced to each other this will also encourage players to try and move around the map to get a secondary weapon or even more grenades.

I’ve also been in favour of a split between all weapon gametypes and precision designed gametypes. I’d much prefer it if Slayer DMR and Slayer Pro were in their own playlist while regular Team Slayer got more variety of gametypes designed around all weapon usage. Can experiment and find ways to find the right balance, like increasing weapon damage to 125% and see how all weapons compare to precision weapons, or even turning off headshots to see the difference. May even need to increase movement or something, see what exactly works.

Throwing both gametypes into one playlist just annoys both sides whenever their preference isn’t selected.

not a bad way to do it, but I would also be ok with everyone just starting with the same weapons, My biggest problem is people starting with plasma grenades and plasma pistols. Especially the grenades though. I also don’t think the supressor will be in H5

Like MP bots and non-humans being scaled down in multiplayer, this is another page we should take from Gears of War’s book.

If anyone remembers, you start off with a Snub Pistol, a couple frags, and a rifle and shotgun of your choosing, which you selected before the game began, or even in Settings.

So that’s what 343i should do: in the main menu, we pick a weapon (AR, Plasma Rifle, etc.) and a sidearm (Magnum, SMG, maybe a new Covie sidearm). No Armor Abilities, no Tactical Packages or Support Upgrades; just the weapons you go into battle with.

And boom. Fixed.

> Like <mark>MP bots</mark> and non-humans being scaled down in multiplayer, this is another page we should take from Gears of War’s book.
>
> If anyone remembers, you start off with a Snub Pistol, a couple frags, and a rifle and shotgun of your choosing, which you selected before the game began, or even in Settings.
>
> So that’s what 343i should do: in the main menu, we pick a weapon (AR, Plasma Rifle, etc.) and a sidearm (Magnum, SMG, maybe a new Covie sidearm). No Armor Abilities, no Tactical Packages or Support Upgrades; just the weapons you go into battle with.
>
> And boom. Fixed.

Bots were the one thing Gears MP did wrong. Difficult to enjoy the game when you’re losing purely because the AI player that’s been forced on your team is bleeding respawn tickets.