The old Halo Formula but at higher speed

I think readopting Halo’s old formula isn’t necessarily the best course of action but if it happens one thing must be amended and that is the game speed. Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach and even now some what Halo 4 now seem too slow in contrast to other current online shooters. Now I am not saying the game should play as fast as Titanfall, CoD, or Battlefield but Halo X1 does need to move faster than it’s predecessors.

At what pace are we talking about here, and how do you propose that we get there?

Why does halo need to move faster? So what if it’s slower than other shooters out on the market? Does halo need to be faster to be more enjoyable, to sell more copies, to be an overall better experience? You haven’t really explained why halo needs to move faster, all you said was that it seems slower than other shooters out on the market. In fact the only halo games that honestly needed to move faster was Halo reach due to the slower base movement speed and shorter jump heights, and pre-tu halo 4 due to weapon kill times.

So I’m not really sure what you are trying to say.

To speed up gameplay all you have to do is

• Increase Movement Speed to that of the original trilogy.

• Decrease Movement Acceleration to that of Halo CE-2.

• Decrease Aim Assist .

• Decrease Bullet Magnetism.

• Increase Field of View to let say 90.

• Build smaller arena style maps

And if that isn’t enough then you can increase movement speed even more.

Out of curiosity OP, do you mean movement speed or game pace? The former I agree with, but not necessarily the latter (I’ll explain more depending on your answer).

If you refer to movement speed:

Faster movement speed requires lower TTK.
Lower TTK requires less health/stronger weapons.
Less Health/Stronger Weapons require more cover.
And so on…

My point is that we had this “faster” movement speed with sprint and people always ran away.

If you refer to game speed:

Take everything out that slows the game speed down (sprint, AA etc.) and return to map design a la midship or Onslaught (Foundry Custom Map - mainly used by MLG).

Instead of focusing on how to advance the individual (because the original trilogy had it right when it comes to that), it should be more so on the gametypes and the customs. I never remember - and hopefully will never have the opportunity to remember - an outstanding Halo game due to my kills or something that was awarded to me on an individual level; It was always when my team and I played a solid game against the opposition in gametypes like CTF or Invasion.

The original games were quite fast-paced, actually, especially at a higher level. A lot faster than Reach and Halo 4 and as a bonus, without all the randomness and confusion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I want a Halo where we can strafe projectiles with all-around fast movement speed again. Back when fastest-time kills took skill.

Fast moving while shooting would become chaotic mess because aiming with analog stick will never be as fast and precise as mouse. I think Halo 3 did right shooting part, but if we want to speed up game’s pace, sprint mechanics is the right invention for console shooter.

Yes, I like Halo 4 and I’m proud of it! Please don’t beat me.

> Fast moving while shooting would become chaotic mess because aiming with analog stick will never be as fast and precise as mouse. I think Halo 3 did right shooting part, but if we want to speed up game’s pace, sprint mechanics is the right invention for console shooter.
>
> Yes, I like Halo 4 and I’m proud of it! Please don’t beat me.

The thing is, Sprint actually slows down the game’s pace by a wide margin. Since the maps are larger, the base movement speed seems to be much slower in comparison. And, if people start to get shot, they just run away, which draws out the killtimes and the game as a whole.

Halo 1-3 did it right with killtimes. Sure, they were exactly the same as one another, but they had the general feel down pretty well.

Your own style of play effects the speed of the game. Do keep that in mind. I’m really aggressive so Halo 4 plays faster than any other shooter I’ve played for me.

On small maps with high movement speeds, the game will play perfect.

> The thing is, Sprint actually slows down the game’s pace by a wide margin. Since the maps are larger, the base movement speed seems to be much slower in comparison. And, if people start to get shot, they just run away, which draws out the killtimes and the game as a whole.
>
> Halo 1-3 did it right with killtimes. Sure, they were exactly the same as one another, but they had the general feel down pretty well.

Larger maps are rather developer’s mistake, but developer clearly learned it’s lessons. E.g. Skyline in Halo 4 isn’t actually any bigger than Assembly in Halo 3 (which was one of the smallest maps in there) and it feels very fine despite H4’s having sprint.

I’m not having such problem with runners as some other people, but if someone thinks that long killtimes can’t go with sprint, maybe there should some mechanics which could bring it together. Maybe people shouldn’t be able to spring without having full shield? One way or another I’d rather like to have sprint, than not having it, or to make entire movement faster.

I like my shooters slow and strategic vs fast and twitchy. I much prefer Halo, gow, and rainbow 6 to cod.

> > Fast moving while shooting would become chaotic mess because aiming with analog stick will never be as fast and precise as mouse. I think Halo 3 did right shooting part, but if we want to speed up game’s pace, sprint mechanics is the right invention for console shooter.
> >
> > Yes, I like Halo 4 and I’m proud of it! Please don’t beat me.
>
> Halo 1-3 did it right with killtimes. Sure, they were exactly the same as one another, but they had the general feel down pretty well.

I can’t say that I agree Hotrod. Halo 3 an average of 1/3 of the bullets you land don’t even count, throwing kill times out of whack, and the projectiles are very unintuitive, so any non-h3 player is completely throw off by them. H1 kill times were very random and spiky because there was no aim assist at all. Players generally fire entire pistol clips at eachother and no one gets a kill, yet at times someone will get a lucky 3 shot and bam. H2 it was the player movement itself that adversely effects kill times. Players could literally matrix bullets. There was no strafe inertia so you could instantly change directions and still be going top speed, and jumping into the air crouching would cause your head to start teleporting around randomly and it was very difficult to kill someone doing this.

I found the speeds of the old ones good, the only problem was that FoV was decreased making it feel slugish when moving around.

> Larger maps are rather developer’s mistake, but developer clearly learned it’s lessons. E.g. Skyline in Halo 4 isn’t actually any bigger than Assembly in Halo 3 (which was one of the smallest maps in there) and it feels very fine despite H4’s having sprint.

It’s not a mistake. They’re made that way because of sprint.

Which is smallest for the respective game? Skyline and Assembly? Skyline is only slightly smaller than Haven, and Haven is about 60% larger in overview area than Guardian.

When I get time I’ll go measure Assembly.

Also, there are other aspect of map design regarding sprint other than just map size, such as jump lengths and corridor complexity.

> I can’t say that I agree Hotrod. Halo 3 an average of 1/3 of the bullets you land don’t even count, throwing kill times out of whack, and the projectiles are very unintuitive, so any non-h3 player is completely throw off by them. H1 kill times were very random and spiky because there was no aim assist at all. Players generally fire entire pistol clips at eachother and no one gets a kill, yet at times someone will get a lucky 3 shot and bam. H2 it was the player movement itself that adversely effects kill times. Players could literally matrix bullets. There was no strafe inertia so you could instantly change directions and still be going top speed, and jumping into the air crouching would cause your head to start teleporting around randomly and it was very difficult to kill someone doing this.

Overexageration much on your own inexperience? Or just an awful lot of misinformation? Seems like both. Teleporting heads in Halo 2 and no aim assist in Halo CE? Please provide source.

Regarding movement speed I say 343i
-removes sprint
-includes a more responsive strafe
-increases base play speed to a little faster than halo 3’s base player speed

Also include a good amount of maps (say 5 small, 5 medium and 5 large)

> It’s not a mistake. They’re made that way because of sprint.
>
> Which is smallest for the respective game? Skyline and Assembly? Skyline is only slightly smaller than Haven, and Haven is about 60% larger in overview area than Guardian.
>
> When I get time I’ll go measure Assembly.
>
> Also, there are other aspect of map design regarding sprint other than just map size, such as jump lengths and corridor complexity.

Yes, they made them that way because of sprint, but it was mistake. Sprint is made to travel faster, so making maps bigger doesn’t have sense at all. They probably understood their mistake, because walking Skyline around takes about same amount of time as walking Assembly around (I’ve checked). These maps are very similar in size and Assembly was one of smallest maps in Halo 3, but Skyline still plays very well.

Same goes to The Pit. I’m sure that if they remade Guardian 1:1, it would play just fine. Even if they made Haven’s corridors shorter, it would still be fine, just people wouldn’t use sprint that much.

I have posted similar thoughts before but here’s a short version; I’d like to see all the base meaningful tactical/support packages switched on for all players all the time. Like this:

Resistor + recharge + shielding + dexterity + firepower + mobility (some playlists with sprint and some without) + resupply + awareness + explosives + stability + drop recon.

I’d love to see this gametype play out, for the playlists without sprint, say proving ground, the base game would be quick with the current sandbox remaining largely the same e.g. kill times. However all the gameplay surrounding that core movement/gunplay would be fast and reactive.

We’re all Spartans and I’d like to see the in game multiplayer actions reflect that level of skill, precision, technology and reaction times etc.

> > > Fast moving while shooting would become chaotic mess because aiming with analog stick will never be as fast and precise as mouse. I think Halo 3 did right shooting part, but if we want to speed up game’s pace, sprint mechanics is the right invention for console shooter.
> > >
> > > Yes, I like Halo 4 and I’m proud of it! Please don’t beat me.
> >
> > Halo 1-3 did it right with killtimes. Sure, they were exactly the same as one another, but they had the general feel down pretty well.
>
> I can’t say that I agree Hotrod. Halo 3 an average of 1/3 of the bullets you land don’t even count, throwing kill times out of whack, and the projectiles are very unintuitive, so any non-h3 player is completely throw off by them. H1 kill times were very random and spiky because there was no aim assist at all. Players generally fire entire pistol clips at eachother and no one gets a kill, yet at times someone will get a lucky 3 shot and bam. H2 it was the player movement itself that adversely effects kill times. Players could literally matrix bullets. There was no strafe inertia so you could instantly change directions and still be going top speed, and jumping into the air crouching would cause your head to start teleporting around randomly and it was very difficult to kill someone doing this.

Dude, Halo CE has the MOST aim assist. Bungie did this as their engine was still not solid, and the Higher aim assist was actually required or your gonna be hitting a whole lot of nothing.

And your Halo 2 experience is even more short lived than your Halo 3 one. Strafing is an integral part of Halo, or was. The Halo 2 physics for strafing are still considered the best by the Majority, Social and MLG alike.