The ODST Team (spoilers)

I haven’t posted on here in a while, and personally, I’m not terribly enthusiastic about what the future of Halo looks like, but here’s something that I do care about discussing.

So I’ve recently been informed about the status of the ODST squad, and here they are (mostly according to the books, sans DARE):

  • Dutch is retired - The Rookie is dead - Mickey is a rebel traitor, for some reason - Romeo is a Spartan-IV - Buck is a Spartan-IV - Buck is part of Locke’s teamI don’t know about you guys, but everything about this is extremely disappointing (except maybe that last bit, because it means we’ll probably see him in Halo 5), and I personally hope they just throw all of that out the window if they revisit the characters in the future (hopefully the near future).

And personally, to me, most of the squad seemed like the kind of people who would be among the last holdouts to not become Spartan-IVs, Buck especially. I remember there being something about him being a little bit bitter towards Spartans (or maybe that was just ODSTs in general, but still). I mean, they’ve almost confirmed him to be a Spartan in Halo 5 since he is wearing what looks to be Spartan armor in that one screenshot of him, and Locke would probably only want Spartans on his team, but they could just retcon it into Locke asking him to be part of his small special team because he’s one of the best ODSTs out there and an all-around exceptional soldier, and he’s looking for Buck’s special skills specifically.

Please don’t follow the books strictly, 343.

Who’s with me?

> 2533274856068111;1:
> I haven’t posted on here in a while, and personally, I’m not terribly enthusiastic about what the future of Halo looks like, but here’s something that I do care about discussing.
>
> So I’ve recently been informed about the status of the ODST squad, and here they are (mostly according to the books, sans DARE):
>
>
>
> - Dutch is retired
> - The Rookie is dead
> - Mickey is a rebel traitor, for some reason
> - Romeo is a Spartan-IV
> - Buck is a Spartan-IV
> - Buck is part of Locke’s team
> I don’t know about you guys, but everything about this is extremely disappointing (except maybe that last bit, because it means we’ll probably see him in Halo 5), and I personally hope they just throw all of that out the window if they revisit the characters in the future (hopefully the near future).
>
> And personally, to me, most of the squad seemed like the kind of people who would be among the last holdouts to not become Spartan-IVs, Buck especially. I remember there being something about him being a little bit bitter towards Spartans (or maybe that was just ODSTs in general, but still). I mean, they’ve almost confirmed him to be a Spartan in Halo 5 since he is wearing what looks to be Spartan armor in that one screenshot of him, and Locke would probably only want Spartans on his team, but they could just retcon it into Locke asking him to be part of his small special team because he’s one of the best ODSTs out there and an all-around exceptional soldier, and he’s looking for Buck’s special skills specifically.
>
> Please don’t follow the books strictly, 343.
>
> Who’s with me?

Uuuuuum what?

There’s always room for a new ODST team for a future ODST-style Halo game. I like that Buck gets to become a spartan and kick -Yoink- on a new level while throwing out one-liners all Fillionesque style.

It’s maybe disappointing to you because you were just told what happens instead of experiencing what happens first hand in the book. I thought the story was handled very well and it showed how the rookies death effected each of the ODSTs differently. Also it explains that buck turned down the spartan IV augments at first, but later reconsidered.
Also this

I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…

And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.

> 2533274800197828;5:
> I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…
>
> And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.

Mickey being a traitor honestly never bothered me. He was my least favorite character from ODST anyway.

What book is this?

> 2533274799626130;7:
> What book is this?

Halo: New Blood

I also was dissapointed in discovering Rookie’s dead and Mickey became an insurrectionist, but there is a reason for this: they killed the Rookie so that he remains for sure the faceless investigator we know from odst, then they made Dutch retired and Mickey an insurrectionist to destroy the whole team and be able to put Buck in Locke’s team. I’m happy for Dutch to be retired, he earned it, the only controversial decision was making Mickey an insurrectionist (although I always thought he didn’t totally fit UNSC in H3 odst) the only question is: where the -Yoink- is Romeo? XD

then, 343 must keep following books, they make them! and it is always been like this. gameplay>lore>everything else

> 2533274892367695;9:
> I also was dissapointed in discovering Rookie’s dead and Mickey became an insurrectionist, but there is a reason for this: they killed the Rookie so that he remains for sure the faceless investigator we know from odst, then they made Dutch retired and Mickey an insurrectionist to destroy the whole team and be able to put Buck in Locke’s team. I’m happy for Dutch to be retired, he earned it, the only controversial decision was making Mickey an insurrectionist (although I always thought he didn’t totally fit UNSC in H3 odst) the only question is: where the -Yoink- is Romeo? XD
>
> then, 343 must keep following books, they make them! and it is always been like this. gameplay>lore>everything else

Funny thing about mickey, playing through odst again I noticed he was a little too happy to see that ONI building blow up.

Spartan Crespo had the perfect background to be turned into an insurrectionist. The Rookie dying also gave the opportunity to drive the story forward. If these events hadn’t happened, how would you justify turning Buck into a Spartan and having him join Fireteam Osiris? It wouldn’t make sense.

I was sad yet happy dutch retired. He was my favorite character, he just had the best personality too me in the whole sqaud

New Blood is a short book an WELL worth the read. It’s up there as one of my favorite EU novels.

> 2533274836676480;10:
> > 2533274892367695;9:
> > I also was dissapointed in discovering Rookie’s dead and Mickey became an insurrectionist, but there is a reason for this: they killed the Rookie so that he remains for sure the faceless investigator we know from odst, then they made Dutch retired and Mickey an insurrectionist to destroy the whole team and be able to put Buck in Locke’s team. I’m happy for Dutch to be retired, he earned it, the only controversial decision was making Mickey an insurrectionist (although I always thought he didn’t totally fit UNSC in H3 odst) the only question is: where the -Yoink- is Romeo? XD
> >
> > then, 343 must keep following books, they make them! and it is always been like this. gameplay>lore>everything else
>
>
> Funny thing about mickey, playing through odst again I noticed he was a little too happy to see that ONI building blow up.

yeah, lol XD

> 2533274800197828;5:
> I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…
>
> And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.

It’s been established that writers take liberties, 343 doesn’t have control over what gets put into the books. Halo games have broken the books’ “canon” before (not just Reach, the start of the first cutscene of Halo 2 depicted the Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach as it was under attack) and they most certainly shouldn’t keep in whatever stupid developments a writer made about some beloved characters just for the sake of a stupid twist or two.

> 2533274856068111;15:
> > 2533274800197828;5:
> > I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…
> >
> > And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.
>
>
> It’s been established that writers take liberties, 343 doesn’t have control over what gets put into the books. Halo games have broken the books’ “canon” before (not just Reach, the start of the first cutscene of Halo 2 depicted the Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach as it was under attack) and they most certainly shouldn’t keep in whatever stupid developments a writer made about some beloved characters just for the sake of a stupid twist or two.

No, but 343 does control the main plot points. Whatever happened to each of Alpha-nine happened because 343’s writing team wanted it to. The sort of liberties 343 doesn’t control is Karen Traviss’ -Yoink!-/Halsey thing.
As for Bungie’s lore habits… We don’t talk about that. Honestly, they just ignored it for the most part. Even admitted to it. Which is a big middle finger to lore fans. I’m glad 343 isn’t like that. Most of their retcons have been minor or necessary.

I’d also like to point out how little sense it makes that Mickey became disillusioned with the UNSC because of them making him fight and kill other humans, leading to him joining the rebels… even though the rebels are honestly more about killing other humans than the UNSC are (despite what the UNSC has done in the past). He’s certainly going to spend more time fighting humans as part of the Insurrectionists than he would have in the UNSC.

bit disappointing with Rookies death but I’m interested in how this chain of events is going to affect Alpha Nine. I really wanna know what happened to Romeo, perhaps he joined Shadow team?

> 2533274932540799;16:
> > 2533274856068111;15:
> > > 2533274800197828;5:
> > > I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…
> > >
> > > And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.
> >
> >
> > It’s been established that writers take liberties, 343 doesn’t have control over what gets put into the books. Halo games have broken the books’ “canon” before (not just Reach, the start of the first cutscene of Halo 2 depicted the Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach as it was under attack) and they most certainly shouldn’t keep in whatever stupid developments a writer made about some beloved characters just for the sake of a stupid twist or two.
>
>
> No, but 343 does control the main plot points. Whatever happened to each of Alpha-nine happened because 343’s writing team wanted it to. The sort of liberties 343 doesn’t control is Karen Traviss’ -Yoink!-/Halsey thing.
> As for Bungie’s lore habits… We don’t talk about that. Honestly, they just ignored it for the most part. Even admitted to it. Which is a big middle finger to lore fans. I’m glad 343 isn’t like that. Most of their retcons have been minor or necessary.

Welllllll… Ugh. I didn’t need another reason to be disappointed in 343. But here it is…

I mean, I get the need to do some things for the sake of telling a good story, but these characters could have been a wealth of good stories & dialogue in future games, rather than just for one single book, + Buck probably getting some screen time in Halo 5. “Disappointed” doesn’t even begin to cut it.

> 2533274856068111;19:
> > 2533274932540799;16:
> > > 2533274856068111;15:
> > > > 2533274800197828;5:
> > > > I don’t understand how you can come onto the forums and attempt to make a serious thread -Yoinking!- about the EU while being 100% ignorant of the actual story. All of your criticisms & questions are directly addressed in New Blood, which btw was a novel sanctioned by 343 that came out a mere 3 months ago. So it isn’t going anywhere. Had you just read the novel instead of jumping on here to complain…
> > > >
> > > > And then you suggest they start retconning things, which should pretty much never be done except in the most drastic of circumstances, because… why? Because you don’t like what happened to the characters? Even if I were unhappy with the Rookie’s death or Mickey being a traitor, I wouldn’t ask that it be retconned because that destroys continuity in the universe and hurts everyone who closely follows the lore.
> > >
> > >
> > > It’s been established that writers take liberties, 343 doesn’t have control over what gets put into the books. Halo games have broken the books’ “canon” before (not just Reach, the start of the first cutscene of Halo 2 depicted the Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach as it was under attack) and they most certainly shouldn’t keep in whatever stupid developments a writer made about some beloved characters just for the sake of a stupid twist or two.
> >
> >
> > No, but 343 does control the main plot points. Whatever happened to each of Alpha-nine happened because 343’s writing team wanted it to. The sort of liberties 343 doesn’t control is Karen Traviss’ -Yoink!-/Halsey thing.
> > As for Bungie’s lore habits… We don’t talk about that. Honestly, they just ignored it for the most part. Even admitted to it. Which is a big middle finger to lore fans. I’m glad 343 isn’t like that. Most of their retcons have been minor or necessary.
>
>
> Welllllll… Ugh. I didn’t need another reason to be disappointed in 343. But here it is…
>
> I mean, I get the need to do some things for the sake of telling a good story, but these characters could have been a wealth of good stories & dialogue in future games, rather than just for one single book, + Buck probably getting some screen time in Halo 5. “Disappointed” doesn’t even begin to cut it.

Hey, they needed to be cleared out somehow. Buck needed a reason to leave, and I really don’t think any of that lot have the necessary professionalism for this particular job. (still love em.)