The next time there is a competition,

for Halo online, would it be possible for Big Team to be included? Seeing how it has been the most popular playlist for most of the life of Halo 4, it stands to reason it would draw the most participation.

It seems like the idea was to allow anyone to compete on an even footing. This means not having to rely on the inconsistencies of random teammates or being at the mercies of full teams when you yourself are searching by yourself.

i think free for all made the most sense for what they were trying to do, though I chose not to participate.

As far as drawing a crowd, team based competitions are always more exciting in my opinion, however I’m not sure if 343 has refined their BTB objective settings well enough for a good competition, and honestly (if one of their goals is viewership) objective is going to have to be key as BTB slayer can be slow paced and not as focused as objective. From a player perspective it seems very unlikely that a high volume good competitive 8-man teams could be formed.

To me, BTB would definitely be a better viewer experience than FFA, but I think all in all 4v4 or 2v2 makes more sense as a structure for competitive settings already exists, and it be much easier for non-pro players to form competitive teams. Not to mention the competitve audience already exists for 4v4 and 2v2.

If these championships become a regular thing up until the release of the next Halo I think it’s imperative that at least one of them be a 4v4. If we can do all three though, my suggestion would be the following, after the completion of the FFA:

2v2
8v8
And then finish it off with 4v4

That way players who have already participated can start teaming up into pairs, which will make forming teams for 8v8 much easier, while simultaniously giving 2v2 the competitive attention it has yet to get with this title.

Then we have BTB to break up having both the competitve crowd pleasers back to back, also giving 343 the opportunity to work up some good competitive BTB settings.

Then lastly we finish it off with the true defining competition that is Halo 4v4, by now having a health idea of the players who will be participating and the teams that will be formed so the viewer and fan has the best experience possible.

that’s just a dream though. Doubt 343 will have the time or resources to execute such a plan.

I can only think it would work via being only parties so that you can only play with your eight friends.

Then the game tracks stuff across games you play with those specific people only for stats.

> I can only think it would work via being only parties so that you can only play with your eight friends.
>
>
> Then the game tracks stuff across games you play with those specific people only for stats.

Keep in mind that would automatically eliminate the majority of the population from participating.

That isn’t a bad thing if your goal is to have the competition for its own sake, but the goal seems to be to encourage player involvement on a relatively spontaneous basis.

I would like to see the BTB guys get some love, but it’s twice as difficult to set up a LAN for BTB. You need twice the equipment, and 8 teammates to rely on.
I think the reason 343 decided to do FFA for their first “real” tournament is simply because you don’t need to worry about traveling with a team, or relying on anyone else when it finally gets down to LANning. You just need to bring yourself and a controller.

I’d like to see it happen. I enjoyed watching BTB.net on Reach.

> It seems like the idea was to allow anyone to compete on an even footing. This means not having to rely on the inconsistencies of random teammates or being at the mercies of full teams when you yourself are searching by yourself.
>
> i think free for all made the most sense for what they were trying to do, though I chose not to participate.

Makes sense, I hope that does not mean there will never be a Big Team competition sanctioned by 343.

Most popular does not equal competitive.

I would hate Big Team competitive games. I hate losing because my teammates are not as good as I am. Most Big Team games come down to me needing to win faster than my teammates can lose.

In a 16 player game, there are usually 4-6 good players and the other 10-12 players are bad. I’m not complaining; I’m just saying that it’s not competitive at all.

>

I kinda feel like it is a snub to exclude what currently draws the most Halo player to the table. The gameplay for Big Team differs from all other playlist and deserves to be showcased in a competition.

Two sanctioned competitions have passed and no love for the big team brawlers, seems a little unfair.

> >
>
> I kinda feel like it is a snub to exclude what currently draws the most Halo player to the table. The gameplay for Big Team differs from all other playlist and deserves to be showcased in a competition.
>
> Two sanctioned competitions have passed and no love for the big team brawlers, seems a little unfair.

How would you choose to set up the competition? Limit it to full teams of eight? Take individual placement from random teams?

Would you go by average rank on your own team (to allow for bad teammates) or would you use rank in the game as a whole? I assume you wouldn’t use simple win/loss.

The last GOOD BIG TEAM BATTLE TOURNAMENT was the Halo Charts one in Halo 3 .
I believe over 50 ish teams signed up

Intact I have most of all of the BTB games in my signature - just below- feel free to check them out .

I’m a BTB kid and it would take a lot of map/settings tweaking to what we have in MM to make it playable in a tournament setting.

-Until people are matched by skill/party size and people are unable to backout in lobby-
There shouldn’t be an ONLINE TOURNAMENT

> -Until people are matched by skill/party size and people are unable to backout in lobby-
> There shouldn’t be an ONLINE TOURNAMENT

I believe the free for all tourney didn’t allow backing out (no voting screen so no opportunity) unless you are referring to the three allowable DNFs, which I think are a necessary evil. Party size was limited to one (again, correct me if I’m wrong), so you were matched by party size by default.

The game generally does rank you by skill (its a consideration), but its painfully obvious that its not particularly effective. That being said, the way they organized the tournament to utilize placement in game, matching like skill would defeat the purpose. The eight worst players would have similar rankings to the eight best players (obviously the statistical truth breaks down at the extremes like this, but just for the sake of argument…) because they would be bumping each other off. Now, skill based matching would work if you were to use 1-50 true skill (CSR wouldn’t work in this scenario for obvious reasons, which only goes to show that it doesn’t work well normally either), but this would also favor people that played large numbers of games in a short period (you have to give it time to establish an accurate ranking), which is nonideal when prioritizing community accessibility.

No. Not in my opinion. If anything do 1v1s or 2v2s. 8v8 games are too hard to spectate, especially considering 343 hasn’t been all that supportive of the competitive tournaments with a spectator mode or anything like that. Even in 4v4s the observer loses so much of the action. 8v8s have too many screens to pay attention too.