The Next Halo (Development time worries me)

So Halo 5 will be releasing in late 2014 for Xbox One. I’m somewhat confused that this full-fledged game is releasing two years after the release of Halo 4 and it’s a sequel to Halo 4. I thought that a full Halo game normally has a 3 year development budget. Do you guys think 343i could possibly be rushing the next Halo?

They have plenty of time considering their resources.

Well, we’re not exactly sure when development started on Halo Xbox One. They might have even gotten started on it before Halo 4 was completed. We’re also not even sure Halo Xbox One is Halo 5. We know it will definately be the next game released, and part of the Reclaimer Saga, but there has been no official confirmation (even the Microsoft ad claiming it was Halo 5 was corrected) that it will be the next numbered title in the series.

They’ve been developing halo on xbox one before halo 4 was released so don’t worry :slight_smile:

Knowing that 343i has built up a team of over 500 employees for the past few years, and that most games begin development before the launch of the previous project, it’s safe to assume two things:

• Halo Xbox One has likely been in development before the launch of Halo 4
  • Halo Xbox One is likely being developed by a large portion of the 500 employees (perhaps 250 people)
    I don’t think the difference between a 3 year cycle over a 2 year cycle is going to make much of a difference in the long run.

> Well, we’re not exactly sure when development started on Halo Xbox One. They might have even gotten started on it before Halo 4 was completed. We’re also not even sure Halo Xbox One is Halo 5. We know it will definately be the next game released, and part of the Reclaimer Saga, but there has been no official confirmation (even the Microsoft ad claiming it was Halo 5 was corrected) that it will be the next numbered title in the series.

I read an article a while back in September of 2012 stating that Frank O’Connor said they were beginning to move the team into the initial stages of production for “the future of Halo.”

Unfortunately I’m having trouble citing sources, so this is simply speculation.

In regards to the OP, it worries me as well, but as WulfwoodsSins and many others are saying, we don’t exactly know all the details.

Thanks for the reassurance :slight_smile:

> •Halo Xbox One is likely being developed by a large portion of the 500 employees (perhaps 250 people)

Thats a pretty wild assumption IMO.

343 has 500 employees. How many of those are still working on Halo 4, on Waypoint, on the books and how many on the TV series (where I think most resources will currently be).

It would be good to have some kind of breakdown on what % of 343 employees do what but that won’t happen.

I’m always amazed when I watch a games credits at just how many people it takes to take a game to release and then keep it going afterward. Lots of 3rd parties get involved and seem to take direction from the main studio who more appear to manage the development rather than actually develop like in Spartan Assault

I’m sure Halo (the next one whatever it’s called) will be amazing as 343 cannot afford to loose anymore fans.

> > •Halo Xbox One is likely being developed by a large portion of the 500 employees (perhaps 250 people)
>
> Thats a pretty wild assumption IMO.
>
> 343 has 500 employees. How many of those are still working on Halo 4, on Waypoint, on the books and how many on the TV series (where I think most resources will currently be).
>
> It would be good to have some kind of breakdown on what % of 343 employees do what but that won’t happen.
>
> I’m always amazed when I watch a games credits at just how many people it takes to take a game to release and then keep it going afterward. Lots of 3rd parties get involved and seem to take direction from the main studio who more appear to manage the development rather than actually develop like in Spartan Assault
>
> I’m sure Halo (the next one whatever it’s called) will be amazing as 343 cannot afford to loose anymore fans.

I don’t really pay attention to the credits but aren’t they divided into categories of who does what like they do for movie credits?

> It would be good to have some kind of breakdown on what % of 343 employees do what but that won’t happen.

I don’t see how it would be “good.” Reassuring perhaps, but not “good.”

I would expect that people are moved around from project to project as projects are completed and new ones created. I’m sure many of the same people who worked on one project also worked on another one. And then there’s the more high-level positions (like Franchise and Creative Directors) that work on multiple projects at once.

Regardless of how much or little we know about 343i’s resource assignment though, we can’t do anything about it. All we can do is judge their work output and hope they adjust their business appropriately.

How much time did 343i spend on pre-production for Halo 4? It was in development for close to four years and look how it turned out…Same with 2, three laters Bungie actually screwed up half-way through development and practically remade the game from the ground up and ended up rushing it for it’s '04 release.

Halo is MS’ most important IP. They’ve likely had ‘durango’ dev kits since before other studios like the forza team or Crytek and they launch theirs last year. Halo 5 has likely been in development, or atleast the tinkering of the engine since mid 2011 to early 2012.

So no I’m not worried. Many great games have been development for only two years, thats actually the far more common time for many AAA series. 343i has stated that the game was set to be a trilogy. That tells me they had the plot, and ideas for the next game pretty much planned out for testing since 4’s release. As for the lack of info, dont take that as a negative for them being behind. It’s likely MS’s decision to save up their work for a big reveal at, say, their spring showcase or E3.

Dont worry about the dev time until you know for sure they’re squandering it or not. That’s all I can say.

> They have plenty of time considering their resources.

I think you misunderstand why Halo 4 had so many problems. The crater you see before you is exactly what happens when a company mismanages its development time.

I like to believe they are scrambling to win back the fans they alienated with Halo 4 but that is just wishful thinking on my part.

I imagine MS just wants more exclusive titles to make sell X1’s since they don’t have very many ‘pure’ X1 titles. Even things like TitanFall or Project Spark will be available on PC.

For better or worse they will be leaving Halo 4 behind fairly quickly. I figure they will either double down on the ‘new’ things in Halo 4 and let the old guard abandon(the multiplayer side) it completely, or they will try to win them back.

Who knows how it will turn out?

I agree, look at Assassin’s Creed 3 for example, that game had about one to two years of development time and when it came out, it was full of unnecessary bugs and the game overall felt like it hadn’t been polished nearly enough. I’m afraid the same thing might happen to Halo 5, it may not as Halo 4 also feels like one big beta and they will be able learn from its mistakes.

All the “worriers” are likely dissatisfied HALO 3 devotees. Honestly in my opinion Halo 4 had one of the best Halo campaigns ever, Spartan Ops was an OK b-side story, and Multiplayer was decent until I grew tired of the endless DMR onslaught. So let’s assume that most of Halo 4’s assets are going to be improved while being reused in Halo X1 and a lot of what is going on isn’t going to need a decade of development time.

> > They have plenty of time considering their resources.
>
> I think you misunderstand why Halo 4 had so many problems. The crater you see before you is exactly what happens when a company mismanages its development time.

For around half of Halo 4’s development 343i had few people. They were building their studio and their actual company at the same time. Only around 2 years or so into development did their team actually really start to increase, which also means they had a few cases of serious shifting around within the office.

Now, 343i is starting with a large team, starting with a vision, and have a major example of how they should/shouldn’t model that vision.

Halo 4 had a longer dev time, but if you actually look deep into it a lot of that early work was just a few ex-bungie people and core developers sketching out ideas.