The Next Best Shooter...

I play a lot of games still and need to diversify a bit. I play Halo almost exclusively because I love the franchise and continue to have so much fun with it, but wanted to know what the rest of the community felt was a good game to play alongside it, or that also deserves my attention moving forward. My personal thoughts, prior to hearing what people have to say and seeing poll results…

Battlefield: I’ve only played a bit of 3’s MP and 4’s campaign, seems fun and massive, but I’m not overly familiar with the franchise.

COD: I own Black Ops 3 and enjoy it, but not as big a fan of the style of play (run and gun, fastest trigger finger). That said, investing more time into a game lends itself to you liking it more, so maybe I just need more time with this series to appreciate it more when Infinite Warfare comes out!

Destiny: The Collection: It’s always tempted me, each passing new release of the game. But fear of not enjoying the universe / lore has kept me away (I love a good story), and how far behind I’d be at this point. The biggest draw continues to be that everyone says the actual gameplay is fantastic, the game sounds addicting, and very team-oriented with a great community.

Doom: I’m probably the least interested in this title, but if everyone says it’s amazing (MP and campaign) I’d definitely give it a solid try.

Far Cry 4 / Primal: I’ve never really invested any time into this series, and it’s an open-world shooter, so very different from the rest of the options on this list - is it worth playing through them? Can you invest several hours into it?

Gears of War 4: I never played 1 - 3, at least not much - very little campaign, even less MP. But the series was very popular for a reason, and a new entry into the timeline may be the perfect way to get into that franchise.

Overwatch: I’ve heard it’s amazing for cooperative, objective gameplay, which sounds like a blast. Looks odd and not sure if there’s any story tied to it, but gameplay is probably the most important thing for me to decide on future games.

Titanfall 2: Confession… I loved the first game, and already have pre-ordered the 2nd. But I still am considering a 3rd game to play out of this list, and who knows, maybe I’ll find that I’m going into the wrong new title of the holiday season - perhaps I should be doing one of the others above instead or in addition to it!

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

Comments as you go would be appreciated! Helps me to know why people are advocating each of these games over the rest.

DOOM singleplayer is -Yoinking!- amazing. Multiplayer is a little so-so though. I would definitely recommend getting it, especially if you have a solid pc build to run it on. Overwatch probably has the best multiplayer gameplay out of the whole list, but it is a little short on the content side of things and I eventually got bored of it and don’t really play anymore, but I definitely had a blast playing it with friends back in the day. Either one is leaps and bounds ahead of H5 in quality. I would avoid COD and Destiny as they are both -Yoink- Activision franchises that don’t deserve your cash after all the anti-consumer -Yoink- they pulled.

Titanfall 2 seemed alright from the beta, but I would wait until after release and see what people think about it first before committing though.

> 2533274899577089;3:
> DOOM singleplayer is -Yoinking!- amazing. Multiplayer is a little so-so though. I would definitely recommend getting it, especially if you have a solid pc build to run it on. Overwatch probably has the best multiplayer gameplay out of the whole list, but it is a little short on the content side of things and I eventually got bored of it and don’t really play anymore, but I definitely had a blast playing it with friends back in the day. Either one is leaps and bounds ahead of H5 in quality. I would avoid COD and Destiny as they are both -Yoink- Activision franchises that don’t deserve your cash after all the anti-consumer -Yoink- they pulled.

Thanks for the advice! I’ve heard great things about Doom’s single-player, I’d be playing on Xbox, not PC though. May be worth trying out! That’s what I’ve heard from Overwatch as well…

> 2533274920358788;5:
> > 2533274899577089;3:
> > DOOM singleplayer is -Yoinking!- amazing. Multiplayer is a little so-so though. I would definitely recommend getting it, especially if you have a solid pc build to run it on. Overwatch probably has the best multiplayer gameplay out of the whole list, but it is a little short on the content side of things and I eventually got bored of it and don’t really play anymore, but I definitely had a blast playing it with friends back in the day. Either one is leaps and bounds ahead of H5 in quality. I would avoid COD and Destiny as they are both -Yoink- Activision franchises that don’t deserve your cash after all the anti-consumer -Yoink- they pulled.
>
>
> Thanks for the advice! I’ve heard great things about Doom’s single-player, I’d be playing on Xbox, not PC though. May be worth trying out! That’s what I’ve heard from Overwatch as well…

I bought it on Xbone as well, but the graphics are just -Yoink!- insane on a good PC, which is why I suggested you buy it there instead if that was a viable option.

If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny

> 2533274973979999;7:
> If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny

I love a good challenge, but what do you mean by that? As in the grind, general gameplay, being behind so far from everyone else… Destiny has always intrigued me but I’ve had those concerns since The Taken King.

> 2533274920358788;8:
> > 2533274973979999;7:
> > If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny
>
>
> I love a good challenge, but what do you mean by that? As in the grind, general gameplay, being behind so far from everyone else… Destiny has always intrigued me but I’ve had those concerns since The Taken King.

The grind is what people really enjoy. However the game play is fun and I love the design tbh

> 2533274920358788;8:
> > 2533274973979999;7:
> > If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny
>
>
> I love a good challenge, but what do you mean by that? As in the grind, general gameplay, being behind so far from everyone else… Destiny has always intrigued me but I’ve had those concerns since The Taken King.

Some of the content is actually difficult and require multiple people working well together. Beating raids for the first times are usually extremely satisfying.
it can be really punishing sometimes though XD

Destiny sucks and the grind is boring as hell. And they honestly don’t deserve the business after all the -Yoink- they’ve pulled, regardless of how much you like their gameplay. From the straight up marketing lies, to selling us on disc content as dlc, Bungie is beyond saving and is undeserving of respect and money until they knock their -Yoink- off. They and Activision’s other franchises are effectively each their own case study of everything wrong in video games today. Don’t support those -Yoink- business practice, give your money to developers that deserve it.

Dooms campaign is great, MP is lackluster.
BF1 after the Beta will be going through many changes. Also has a great campaign trailer ,which is meaningless for FPS games these days.
I would recommend Diablo over Destiny tbh.
Gears looks awesome and I actually pre-ordered it along with BF1.
Primal is pretty repetitive, but fun.
If you are in the US try Gamefly.

Destiny is awesome but the grind is real. RNG can be a pain but getting exotics sure does feel great when it happens. And the VoG/Kings Fall are some of the most fun and challenging things I’ve ever played in a video game. The multiplayer is pretty good too, but no matter what they patched and tweaked there always seemed to be a few weapons that stood out and dominated.

BF1 beta was beyond awesome, I probably won’t play much Halo 5 anymore once that comes out.

And its its not a shooter but Dark Souls 3 is one of the most awesome games ever made and a new DLC comes out next month, I’ll be a no lifer for awhile when that drops.

Battlefield is winning? gears of war all the way boi

> 2533274973979999;9:
> > 2533274920358788;8:
> > > 2533274973979999;7:
> > > If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny
> >
> >
> > I love a good challenge, but what do you mean by that? As in the grind, general gameplay, being behind so far from everyone else… Destiny has always intrigued me but I’ve had those concerns since The Taken King.
>
>
> The grind is what people really enjoy. However the game play is fun and I love the design tbh

I’m good with a grind (see: Halo 5’s REQS… Almost done!), as long as the game is fun and I want to keep coming back to it. Thanks for the advice!

> 2533274886694152;10:
> > 2533274920358788;8:
> > > 2533274973979999;7:
> > > If you’re up for a challenge I’d recommend Destiny
> >
> >
> > I love a good challenge, but what do you mean by that? As in the grind, general gameplay, being behind so far from everyone else… Destiny has always intrigued me but I’ve had those concerns since The Taken King.
>
>
> Some of the content is actually difficult and require multiple people working well together. Beating raids for the first times are usually extremely satisfying.
> it can be really punishing sometimes though XD

Got it - so I’d want to make sure I had a few friends (shouldn’t be a problem) that would play too. Unless there’s some form of a matchmaking system? I’ve heard raids are awesome but one major follow-up question… I sometimes have limited play-time available. 2 - 3 hours at night, sometimes 4 at most. How long does it take to complete raids / make progress in Destiny? One thing I love about Halo is I can play a couple of quick matches and be done over a lunch break, for example, if I wanted to. Can you describe the options there for me and approximate playing times required? That’d go a long way towards me trying it out. And whether or not I’m too late into the game now for it to matter… Is the player base / community still active?

> 2533274899577089;11:
> Destiny sucks and the grind is boring as hell. And they honestly don’t deserve the business after all the -Yoink- they’ve pulled, regardless of how much you like their gameplay. From the straight up marketing lies, to selling us on disc content as dlc, Bungie is beyond saving and is undeserving of respect and money until they knock their -Yoink- off. They and Activision’s other franchises are effectively each their own case study of everything wrong in video games today. Don’t support those -Yoink- business practice, give your money to developers that deserve it.

One thing I know I greatly dislike about Destiny is it seems, from afar, returning players get hosed by having to essentially buy $40 more of content at each major release… That said, if it’s viewed like COD or any other paid DLC, it’s more forgiveable in my eyes. Is there anything else Bungie has done that warrants how much you dislike there business and therefore why I shouldn’t support them?

> 2533274819667356;12:
> Dooms campaign is great, MP is lackluster.
> BF1 after the Beta will be going through many changes. Also has a great campaign trailer ,which is meaningless for FPS games these days.
> I would recommend Diablo over Destiny tbh.
> Gears looks awesome and I actually pre-ordered it along with BF1.
> Primal is pretty repetitive, but fun.
> If you are in the US try Gamefly.

May need to! Haha… I’ve heard a lot about Gamefly. Crazy part is our local library has several of these games and more we can check out, free, for up to two weeks at a time… So I may not need their service but for brand new releases. Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like Doom’s campaign is a must-play, heard the same thing about the MP. Personally, I still love campaign’s, so BF gets a positive check for including that, and I remember liking the start of B4’s. Gears looks interesting as well… So many choices!

> 2533274859655334;13:
> Destiny is awesome but the grind is real. RNG can be a pain but getting exotics sure does feel great when it happens. And the VoG/Kings Fall are some of the most fun and challenging things I’ve ever played in a video game. The multiplayer is pretty good too, but no matter what they patched and tweaked there always seemed to be a few weapons that stood out and dominated.
>
> BF1 beta was beyond awesome, I probably won’t play much Halo 5 anymore once that comes out.
>
> And its its not a shooter but Dark Souls 3 is one of the most awesome games ever made and a new DLC comes out next month, I’ll be a no lifer for awhile when that drops.

RNG? VoG and Kings Fall? What do these things mean? Haha… Good to know the MP is fun, even if a bit unbalanced. Halo is the game I’d consider myself competitive with, I’d probably treat Destiny like Warzone, casual, expecting to get wrecked by certain guns and weapons I don’t own. As long as I could still stand a chance now against everyone else and they’re not all going to dominate me to the point of it not being fun, I’d probably enjoy that.

With BF1, I feel the same way about Titanfall, but we’ll see… That’s part of the reason for this poll - it stands to reason that other guys who like Halo may have similar shooter tastes to my own and therefore could help me avoid the missable games in favor of the must-plays! I have limited time now so that’d be awesome.

I’ve never played a Dark Souls game… Sorry boss! But I do other types of games as well, shooters just seem to get me the most addicted / longest playtime.

> 2533274941773412;14:
> Battlefield is winning? gears of war all the way boi

Haha nice… A Gears fan to add to the conversation… Ok… Are the campaigns / story good? Is the MP fun, and could it give me several months of playtime like Halo, or would it get old fast? I’m completely new to the Gears franchise, what’s the selling point chief?