The new Halo trilogy has to be dark.

Because http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc8MwRA84Ko < this is awesome music. It sets the mood and this mood seems sinister.

I really hope that this new trilogy is a more dark and mature experience than the Bungie era.

Anyone agree?

I don’t. It can certainly have dark moments, but it doesn’t need to a huge emotional letdown at every opportunity.

> It can certainly have dark moments.

It needs them. I’d like it if it had a feel of desperation.

Dark =/= emotional let down

I realize Bungie likes humor, but it was unnecessary. I was tired of going through the Halo 3 campaign, that was great, and have to listen to Grunts spill out cheesy jokes. It was really stupid, to me, considering the actually maturity of the entire conflict/universe. I hope 343i makes the next trilogy darker.

The forerunner saga: It gets darker and darker and the second book seems dark and mad.
The post-war books: They go into the mind of Doctor Halsey.
Halo 4, 5 and 6. So Mendicant Bias sent John-117 there. For a reason.

Well it’s really undevelopped but i have a feeling it’s going to be mad and dark.

I really liked how the Arbiter missions were handled in Halo 2. The atmosphere of the levels were dark. But story-wise, not emotionally upsetting (except when that Tartersauce betrays you).

I fell like in Halo 3, after the level “The Storm” things did get dark and a lot more desperate. The Flood were actually one Earth, the race to stop Truth from the end of the universe, Gravemind knowing that he actually needed to assist John and Thel, Miranda dying, John going back to High Charity to get back Cortana (and eventually the Arbiter going back to help John), and to activate the rebuilt Alpha Halo, Spark’s betrayal with Johnson dying and the ring destroying itself with an intense getaway and only Thel returning to Earth.

That’s dark and desperate. I don’t need Halo 4 to be like that, if it’s the start of something new let it deteriorate on its own organically, after a couple of years within the games like the original trilogy (dear God, we’re gonna start calling Halo 1-3 an “OT” now huh)? Let it be wonderous and exciting and when characters and the story change maybe the “dark” stuff can come in without effecting what “feels” like Halo.

> I really liked how the Arbiter missions were handled in Halo 2. The atmosphere of the levels were dark. But story-wise, not emotionally upsetting (except when that Tartersauce betrays you).
>
> I fell like in Halo 3, after the level “The Storm” things did get dark and a lot more desperate. The Flood were actually one Earth, the race to stop Truth from the end of the universe, Gravemind knowing that he actually needed to assist John and Thel, Miranda dying, John going back to High Charity to get back Cortana (and eventually the Arbiter going back to help John), and to activate the rebuilt Alpha Halo, Spark’s betrayal with Johnson dying and the ring destroying itself with an intense getaway and only Thel returning to Earth.
>
> That’s dark and desperate. I don’t need Halo 4 to be like that, if it’s the start of something new let it deteriorate on its own organically, after a couple of years within the games like the original trilogy (dear God, we’re gonna start calling Halo 1-3 an “OT” now huh)? Let it be wonderous and exciting and when characters and the story change maybe the “dark” stuff can come in without effecting what “feels” like Halo.

Yes I agree.

I agree. I hope grunts aren’t in Halo 4. People might think they lighten the mood but i think they are just annoying and a waste of ammo

The New Halo Trilogy

It seems to be teasing us as being very single-minded at heart. John has only the AI Companion “Cortana” with him and no-one else. The information on the page also explains that he confronts his own destiny.

In short, I believe that John or Master Chief will be alone for this game. Surviving what he can in a new and mysterious environment. The original idea of Halo: Combat Evolved twisted on its head.

Halo 3: ODST’s Isolation, Halo: Reach’s Dark Themes and Halo: Combat Evolved’s world of discovery could all be inspiration to Halo 4.

Show us what you got 343…

If you mean kinda like ODST with “dark”, then I’m all for it.

To be honest, I found the first trilogy to be too bright and colorful most of the time. You’re fighting a loosing war for the survival of mankind, and the graphics remind you of Super Mario. It didn’t fit.

Agree 100%

I hope that new trilogy will darker then in uprising, ODST, and Reach to the darker tone in like the dark knight, the empire strikes back or the war of the worlds.

If so, it needs to be balanced so he’s not just another Batman.

well i really liked the feel to ODST, which was certainly darker and more somber than the others, but im not sure if it will fit the chief to do the whole game or even most of the game that way… so it could use it to some extent, but making it into a drama would be weird…

ODST was my least favourite campaign, and that had a much darker mood.

And I hope to hell they don’t make the lighting as dark, I got lost roaming around that Mombasa district on so many occasions. At times it felt more like playing a survival horror game than a future space military fps.

[deleted]

> > It can certainly have dark moments.
>
> It needs them. I’d like it if it had a feel of desperation.

play bioshock then

So, because of one song, you want the entire new Halo trilogy to be dark.

I’m supressing a Reach forum response. I really am.

Did anyone else reading the title of the thread think of an emo Master Chief trying to cut himself, but can’t because of his armor and just gets more depressed? No? Just me?

Anyways, on topic, I don’t think it Halo needs to be dark unless it fits into the story. It’s not like it’s when the Covenant discovered Earth or Reach, both darker periods in the Halo story. Halo isn’t like Gears of War where every action you tend to make has a worse outcome in the long run, and fits it’s dark and gritty theme. In Halo the war is over, and Master Chief doesn’t have any enemies as far as we know, so there is no need for it to be dark.

Personally I won’t mind if Master Chief was in another breath taking world similar to when you first land on Halo. And then it can get darker when it fits into the story. But the whole thing doesn’t need to be another brown, gritty shooter.