The new DMR and the Halo Reach Title Update

Well, hopefully we’ve all seen the gameplay video of the new Damnation, featured in today’s Halo Bulletin. A few things I would like to point out that a lot of people seem to be overlooking or missing.

Bloom and the DMR
People are cheering because of “bloom removal”, when this is clearly not the case. Bloom has not been removed, or even modified. The bloom system is the same as before. What has changed is the bullet spread of various weapons (though most noticeably, the DMR). Bloom is, as I have been saying since Reach released, a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic. The reticule blooms based on the spread of bullets, which is in turn based on how the player fires his or her weapon.

The leads me to the DMR, and the complete removal of bullet spread from it. In Halo 3, the BR was an all purpose weapon, one that could get a player out of any situation. This all but killed the need for any other weapon. Now, I know there are ways to counter the BR, but one reason the DMR was added to Reach was because of how the BR functioned as a utility weapon, not simply the mid-long range rifle it was meant to be. I am afraid of the return of such a weapon with the removal of the DMR’s bullet spread, or bloom (as people have incorrectly called it). I may be wrong, but it looks like the DMR has the same rate of fire as before, and without any (or very little) bullet spread, it could very well become the all purpose, get-out-of-any-situation weapon the BR was. Such a weapon kills the core of what Halo was built on: You have two weapons, and each has a specific combat role.

I think that’s it for now. I had more in mind when I started, but it escaped me as I wrote about the DMR. Oh well…

> Well, hopefully we’ve all seen the gameplay video of the new Damnation, featured in today’s Halo Bulletin. A few things I would like to point out that a lot of people seem to be overlooking or missing.
>
> Bloom and the DMR
> People are cheering because of “bloom removal”, when this is clearly not the case. Bloom has not been removed, or even modified. The bloom system is the same as before. What has changed is the bullet spread of various weapons (though most noticeably, the DMR). Bloom is, as I have been saying since Reach released, a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic. The reticule blooms based on the spread of bullets, which is in turn based on how the player fires his or her weapon.
>
> The leads me to the DMR, and the complete removal of bullet spread from it. In Halo 3, the BR was an all purpose weapon, one that could get a player out of any situation. This all but killed the need for any other weapon. Now, I know there are ways to counter the BR, but one reason the DMR was added to Reach was because of how the BR functioned as a utility weapon, not simply the mid-long range rifle it was meant to be. I am afraid of the return of such a weapon with the removal of the DMR’s bullet spread, or bloom (as people have incorrectly called it). I may be wrong, but it looks like the DMR has the same rate of fire as before, and without any (or very little) bullet spread, it could very well become the all purpose, get-out-of-any-situation weapon the BR was. Such a weapon kills the core of what Halo was built on: You have two weapons, and each has a specific combat role.
>
> I think that’s it for now. I had more in mind when I started, but it escaped me as I wrote about the DMR. Oh well…

Explain how bloom isn’t a game mechanic. I am curious to how you learned that.

So once Reach becomes more like every other Halo game, the core becomes broken. Gotcha.

> Explain how bloom isn’t a game mechanic. I am curious to how you learned that.

Bloom is a HUD visualization of a bullet spread, which is a game mechanic.
Here’s an example. If you remove the HUD, the way the game plays is not affected (not to be confused with how you, the player, play the game). If you directly effect how the bullets move, that is affecting the game mechanics.

> So once Reach becomes more like every other Halo game, the core becomes broken. Gotcha.

That is not what I’m saying. I am saying that I am worried the DMR will become another all-purpose weapon like the BR was. I could be wrong, but I am still worried.

> > So once Reach becomes more like every other Halo game, the core becomes broken. Gotcha.
>
> That is not what I’m saying. I am saying that I am worried the DMR will become another all-purpose weapon like the BR was. I could be wrong, but I am still worried.

CE had the Magnum. Halo 2 and 3 had the BR and Carbine. Do you mean to tell me that the core was bad in those games because they had useful utility weapons?

Oh that’s how you meant it OP. Thanks, now i am not confused on that issue. Bloom is just a visualization of bullet spread.

Still, if the DMR fires perfectly straight at spamming speeds, then i would worry it becoming OP. A fixed Rof could help the issue, as well as give an individual buff to weapons so they can still be relevant.

> In Halo 3, the BR was an all purpose weapon, one that could get a player out of any situation. This all but killed the need for any other weapon. Now, I know there are ways to counter the BR, but one reason the DMR was added to Reach was because of how the BR functioned as a utility weapon, not simply the mid-long range rifle it was meant to be.

Finally, someone gets it.

> Well, hopefully we’ve all seen the gameplay video of the new Damnation, featured in today’s Halo Bulletin. A few things I would like to point out that a lot of people seem to be overlooking or missing.
>
> Bloom and the DMR
> People are cheering because of “bloom removal”, when this is clearly not the case. Bloom has not been removed, or even modified. The bloom system is the same as before. What has changed is the bullet spread of various weapons (though most noticeably, the DMR). Bloom is, as I have been saying since Reach released, a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic. The reticule blooms based on the spread of bullets, which is in turn based on how the player fires his or her weapon.
>
> The leads me to the DMR, and the complete removal of bullet spread from it. In Halo 3, the BR was an all purpose weapon, one that could get a player out of any situation. This all but killed the need for any other weapon. Now, I know there are ways to counter the BR, but one reason the DMR was added to Reach was because of how the BR functioned as a utility weapon, not simply the mid-long range rifle it was meant to be. I am afraid of the return of such a weapon with the removal of the DMR’s bullet spread, or bloom (as people have incorrectly called it). I may be wrong, but it looks like the DMR has the same rate of fire as before, and without any (or very little) bullet spread, it could very well become the all purpose, get-out-of-any-situation weapon the BR was. Such a weapon kills the core of what Halo was built on: You have two weapons, and each has a specific combat role.
>
> I think that’s it for now. I had more in mind when I started, but it escaped me as I wrote about the DMR. Oh well…

“The bloom system is the same as before”

“Bloom is … a function of the HUD, not a game mechanic”

Wut? Did we not watch the same video? Bloom has clearly been modified in the DMR shown in the Damnation gameplay. Bloom is a game mechanic that is shown on the HUD.

Do you know what “HUD” stands for? “Heads Up Display”. Tell me how bloom, or “bullet spread” (wut?), is solely a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic, like, for instance, the radar, health bar, and ammo count.

> “The bloom system is the same as before”
>
> “Bloom is … a function of the HUD, not a game mechanic”
>
> Wut? Did we not watch the same video? Bloom has clearly been modified in the DMR shown in the Damnation gameplay. Bloom is a game mechanic that is shown on the HUD.
>
> Do you know what “HUD” stands for? “Heads Up Display”. Tell me how bloom, or “bullet spread” (wut?), is solely a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic, like, for instance, the radar, health bar, and ammo count.

He’s saying that your shots becoming less accurate when you fire too quickly is bullet spread, whereas bloom (AKA reticle bloom) is your reticle growing larger to show the player that the bullet spread mechanic is occurring.

> Oh that’s how you meant it OP. Thanks, now i am not confused on that issue. Bloom is just a visualization of bullet spread.
>
>
> Still, if the DMR fires perfectly straight at spamming speeds, then i would worry it becoming OP. A fixed Rof could help the issue, as well as give an individual buff to weapons so they can still be relevant.

Exactly. I’m worried about it becoming over powered like the BR was. I’ll hold final judgement until I play myself, but it’s a concern I felt I needed to voice

> “The bloom system is the same as before”
>
> “Bloom is … a function of the HUD, not a game mechanic”
>
> Wut? Did we not watch the same video? Bloom has clearly been modified in the DMR shown in the Damnation gameplay. Bloom is a game mechanic that is shown on the HUD.
>
> Do you know what “HUD” stands for? “Heads Up Display”. Tell me how bloom, or “bullet spread” (wut?), is solely a function of the HUD, and not a game mechanic, like, for instance, the radar, health bar, and ammo count.

I know what HUD stands for. Do you know how a HUD in a video game works? It visualizes various functions of a game. It’s a UI screen, not a game mechanic.

-The visual radar works by looking at data from a function that measures distance between a player and anyone around the player within a set distance. This data is then visualized on the HUD radar. There’s the radar as a game mechanic, and the visual radar on the HUD.

• The health bar is a visual display of the amount of hit points a player has. In Halo’s case, there are two variables that hold hit point data: one for shields, and one for health. The HUD checks these variables and displays the health and shields of a player. Again, there’s the health as a game mechanic, and the visual health bar, a visualization of the actual mechanic.

• Same as before with the ammo count.

• Now, back to bloom. Bloom is short for Reticule bloom, the reticule being a part of the HUD. Bullet spread is a mechanic that causes bullets to spread further from the muzzle of a weapon as the weapon is fire faster or fully automatically. As a gun is shot faster or the trigger is held down, the code that controls this mechanic tells the game to spread the bullets out, within a set maximum distance. The HUD looks at this data, and adjusts the size the reticule on the HUD in accordance with the spread of the bullets.

Do you understand?

It’s in a separate list from default Reach. It’s there to act like a one-weapon-to-rule-them-all for those who want it too. It has nothing to do with skill (though others may say different), it’s about choice.

You won’t see me knocking too many times on choice. This is no different.

On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original, geometrically speaking :slight_smile:

> On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:

You’re in luck. You won’t even have to edit it.

> It’s in a separate list from default Reach. It’s there to act like a one-weapon-to-rule-them-all for those who want it too. It has nothing to do with skill (though others may say different), it’s about choice.
>
> You won’t see me knocking too many times on choice. This is no different.
>
> On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:

Oh, I’m aware, and I honestly look forward to the TU and the CEA maps. Damnation looks beautiful (incidentally, there are two versions of it: classic damnation, and damnation with the bridge).

Still, I wanted to voice my concern about the DMR.

The DMR is my weapon of choice. I rarely go out of my way to charge to Power weapon spawns.
I find great enjoyment of eliminating opposition that feels the need to rush for these weapons and it makes me feel like I have more skill. This no doubt leads to my lower range K/D spread and a greater loss of games.
However, I believe the DMR is a wonderful weapon that can overcome nearly any other weapon if used properly, and there is no feeling greater than destroying a power weapon toting opponent, stealing his power weapon, and going on a wild spree with said weapon.
I think that people who are against “Bloom” have no concept for bullet spread. All they can reference are the times when they think they should’ve killed an opponent with a headshot but they somehow didn’t. I think this problem can be blamed more on internet connectivity than a random bullet spread.

> Now, back to bloom. Bloom is short for Reticule bloom, the reticule being a part of the HUD. Bullet spread is a mechanic that causes bullets to spread further from the muzzle of a weapon as the weapon is fire faster. As a gun is shot faster, the code that controls this mechanic tells the game to spread the bullets out, within a set maximum distance. The HUD looks at this data, and adjusts the size the reticule on the HUD in accordance with the spread of the bullets.
>
> Do you understand?

Really? From what I’ve heard, spread, at least in Halo 2 and 3, is the spreading away from the muzzle over distance, rather than with firing faster because of the capped RoF, while spread in Reach and CE seems to act the way you described it.

> > On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:
>
> You’re in luck. You won’t even have to edit it.

The “bridge” for sprinters was added, I haven’t seen it with the gaps yet, go pics?

> > > On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:
> >
> > You’re in luck. You won’t even have to edit it.
>
> The “bridge” for sprinters was added, I haven’t seen it with the gaps yet, go pics?

http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/blog/TheHaloBulletin/8.17.11/image11.jpg

> > > > On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:
> > >
> > > You’re in luck. You won’t even have to edit it.
> >
> > The “bridge” for sprinters was added, I haven’t seen it with the gaps yet, go pics?
>
> http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/blog/TheHaloBulletin/8.17.11/image11.jpg

grumbles I wanted to do that link,go back to Zelda! Let other people link things!!! >_<

:wink:

> > > > > On a happier note, you have no idea how wicked I believe Damnation looks. Just wow. I do hope the map can be edited to be completely original :slight_smile:
> > > >
> > > > You’re in luck. You won’t even have to edit it.
> > >
> > > The “bridge” for sprinters was added, I haven’t seen it with the gaps yet, go pics?
> >
> > http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/blog/TheHaloBulletin/8.17.11/image11.jpg
>
> grumbles I wanted to do that link,go back to Zelda! Let other people link things!!! >_<
>
> :wink:

I is sorry, I can delete my post if you like? :)…btw nothing to do with Zelda, although that was a sweet game at one time.