The new and old FoR

is there a difference between the new and old FoR

The new one is extended and so better.

u mean more detailistic (dont think thats a real word) and mentions more things if so good cause that’s the one i read.

They made a few changes to the reprint. In the original for example, the Spartans made a mental note to tell Dr. Halsey that the Covenant ship they boarded had Artificial Gravity since at the time UNSC Ships did not have it themselves. This was most likely changed because Halo Wars clearly shows the crew of the Spirit of Fire walking around as if the ship had it.

hmmm…cause when i read the new FoR it mentioned the UNSC ships having artificial gravity…but ur talking about the old FoR so ur right

The updated edition is almost exactly the same as the original, except some dates and words were changed. There’s also an extra few pages at the end.

I was disappointed when I bought the 2010 edition of The Fall of Reach and the same errors that plagued the 2001 copy were still in it. Before I spend more money I need to know if anything is different?

I too want to know what is supposed to change in the 2011 print.

EDIT: I’ve checked the Kindle edition of the book and the dates seem to correctly say 2552 instead of 2542.

> I too want to know what is supposed to change in the 2011 print.
>
> EDIT: I’ve checked the Kindle edition of the book and the dates seem to correctly say 2552 instead of 2542.

Good, but now I feel that the money I spent on the 2010 edition was a waste of cash. Hmmm…

We’ve got other issues. Namely, total ambiguity regarding when races were first enountered.

> We’ve got other issues. Namely, total ambiguity regarding when races were first enountered.

The reprint removes all information that says the Elites were encountered for the first time at Reach. And Halo Reach wasn’t the first thing to contradict The Fall of Reach. The other novels did quite often but that’s what the reprint is for.

So most of us know about the 2010 edition of The Fall of Reach. Most of us also know that this reprint completely failed to bring things in line with the Reach game. Recent searches on Barnes and Noble along with Amazon.com revealed a “Definitive Edition” print in mass market paperback due out next month. My inclination was that this 2011 reprint would address issues regarding the game. My premise was that since the First Strike reprint had been subtitled “Definitive Edition” and changed things to match the game, that the same would be true for The Fall of Reach.

I discovered that the 2010 reprint in stores has now been replaced with the 2011 “Definitive Edition” reprint (in full-sized paperback) and checked it out.

In the book, everyone is still shocked and amazed to see the Covenant appear on Reach on August 30. The Pillar of Autumn still leaves Reach at 06:47 on the same day.

EDIT: If any member or representative from 343 Industries is seeing this post, consider this question: What on earth are you guys doing?!

According to Barnes & Noble, the Definitive Edition of Halo: The Fall of Reach will not be released until June 28th, 2011. From the picture they show on their website, the cover looks identical to the 2010 print of the book but with a blue “Definitive Edition” printed under the title. Halo: First Strike, (which I am currently re-reading), also has a blue “Definitive Edition” printed under it’s title.

Are you absolutely sure that you managed to get a legitimate copy of the Definitive Edition? It seems a little odd that you would find a copy a month early. It’s also odd that they would even bother with a whole new release date and pre-order for a book which has absolutely nothing added to it, aside from a “Definitive Edition” slapped to the cover.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Halo/Eric-Nylund/e/9780765367297

This copy of The Fall of Reach plainly said “Definitive Edition” on it. It was exactly like the upcoming cover. What gets released next month is the (smaller) mass market paperback. What’s already out is the (full size) paperback.

EDIT: I went to Barnes and Noble and bought it. I have uploaded a picture as well. Compare the name on the driver’s license with my user name here.

Barnes and Noble is a little notorious for releasing some books early. I’ve seen it happen.

AND BTW, remove your ID, you’re still leaving glaring info that will hurt you.

> Barnes and Noble is a little notorious for releasing some books early. I’ve seen it happen.
>
> AND BTW, remove your ID, you’re still leaving glaring info that will hurt you.

Like what? I’ve removed my address. Everything else is available anyway.

EDIT: Whatever. I blacked-out a lot more. Better safe than sorry.

Ok, something has to be done. 343i has to have a way out of this. I hope they just say ONI made up Halo:Reach as a story to tell the masses.

> I hope they just say ONI made up Halo:Reach as a story to tell the masses.

Someone brought this up in a thread over at the Bungie Universe forum. Someone else then said that some enclosed letter with the game between two ONI agents confirms that this (the game) is supposed to be what really happened.

> > I hope they just say ONI made up Halo:Reach as a story to tell the masses.
>
> Someone brought this up in a thread over at the Bungie Universe forum. Someone else then said that some enclosed letter with the game between two ONI agents confirms that this (the game) is supposed to be what really happened.

Meh, Bungie’s explanataion? Possibly. Maybe they’ll leave us with a cliffhanger. Or, it’s just a cool futuristic additon to the box set adn Reach actually happened like it did. Who knows?..

Bungie’s answer inserted here

I think the whole “OMG the canon is so outta wack now” thing is getting out of hand. I’m pretty sure if they wanted to, The Fall of Reach could be written as an attempt at disinformation by ONI. By an in-universe standpoint of course. Basically the events in the book are written by the point of view of the Spartan IIs. So what they experienced in the book actually happened but dates and times were changed by ONI for some unknown reason.

Dr. Halsey’s remark to the Spartans in the Definitive Edition of First Strike made me think of this. When they first meet up with her she says “With regards to recent events, I likely know far more about all of this than you do, but let’s stick with today.” How can she know more about what was going on than the Spartans who were participating in it? Simple, she participated in the events of Halo Reach. She knew the Covenant first arrived on July 24th and a larger fleet arrived on August 14th. She reinforces this by stating “I know that the Covenant arrived in FULL FORCE at approximately oh-five-hundred hours”. This implies the fleet that arrived on August 30th was just them in full force and not just a small group of ships like before. Basically they were the last nail in the coffin.

Why would the Spartans still not have known this and why were they surprised on August 30th? Easy, it was a secret. The Spartans are fiercely loyal to Reach because it’s their home. If they knew it had been invaded then they would stay and fight. The UNSC knew that they could not beat the Covenant on Reach. Once they found it Reach was already lost in their minds and they knew Earth would be next. The Spartan IIs assignment was too important for them to give up and futily defend a planet they knew was already doomed. But when the main Covenant Fleet arrived in full force at the edge of the system as the Pillar of Autumn was leaving, it was to hard to ignore. Either Keyes knew Reach had already been invaded and made the decision to ignore orders and assist or he was left in the dark as well and was legitimately surprised when the fleet showed up. Either or is a possibility.

You probably think that not knowing the Covenant was on the same planet as you is a little far fetched but it’s not if you think about it. I live in Michigan and for all I know New York, London or Moscow were all just blown off the face of the Earth right now. It’s a big Planet and I wouldn’t know something was going on until someone told me. Wherever the Covenant went they made dark zones so no one around them could call for help or alert the masses. At first they appeared to attack military targets like Sword Base or the secret launch facility that housed the Sabers. They were in a civilian area in the first level, however there were very few houses out there because it was all mountains and small farms. Easy to keep secret.

The geography of Reach plays an important role. From the looks of things, the Planet is mostly mountain ranges and ocean and probably only has a handful of cities. The reason the population is so big is because Reach’s cities make modern day New York look like a subdivision. The towers in New Alexandria were kilometers tall so the City could house millions upon millions of people in a relatively small area.

Why would ONI want to lie to the citizens of the UNSC? Well Forerunner structures were discovered long before the Covenant arrived so it had been known for sometime that we weren’t alone in the Universe. Yet the UNSC was still unprepared for the Covenant and let billions of humans die while they concentrated on some silly Insurrection. Halo Reach implies this because Halsey spent so much time working at Sword Base. However in The Fall of Reach it implies that they had no idea there were Forerunner structures on Reach.

That’s my theory anyways. Think about it.