The Needler.. and special effects.. Revision?

First up, I preordered Halo CEA today. Looks amazing so far! Loving the graphical enhancements.

But there are a few things that I noticed in the update today that is bugging me. First up, is the Needler. Now, I’m not saying that it sounds bad, but it just doesn’t sound… right… Something about it is annoying. It’s hard to explain.

The second thing is the special effects. I was watching the rocket launcher sound comparison and my internet lagged out as the rocket hit the wall, and it froze. In the particular frame that it stopped on, the whole HUD had turned yellow/gold because of the explosion.

This normally would be pretty good, but the explosion was pretty far away. It doesn’t seem plausible at all that an explosion at that distance would cause the effect it did. In other footage I’ve noticed green blotches as you’re getting shot, and a pink one when the Needler super combines.

It seems to be really really prominent, and to be blunt, it looks distracting.

I was actually just about to make a thread about this. Thank you. The reload kinda sounds weird…

I noticed the same thing. Personally, I liked the explosions with no effects much more than with huge effects, I understand if the rocket blows up relatively close to you, but from that distance there shouldn’t be as huge effect.

On a side note as we’re talking about effects, I was kind of dissapointed that the Plasma Rifle’s bolts were small and when it overheated, there wasn’t that visible blue gas coming out of the vents. Same thing with Needler while shooting, the old model had some blue smoke venting from the top where the needles are. Although all of these could be because they still have the Reach weapon models for those weapons, same could explain the huge effect on the Rocket Launcher.

OP best be trollin’.

The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.

343i just went into beast mode.

> OP best be trollin’.
>
> The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.
>
> 343i just went into beast mode.

Have you ever played CE? Go play it than come back.

It might sound strange, but the needler sounds too … big, for the lack of a better term. It sounds like a huge, massive gun that fires God-knows-what kind of massive projectiles and not crystalline shards. The weapon’s sound has too much oomph now.

And on top of that, this high-pitched “chirping” sound the needler makes is totally fine in and of itself, but it kind of contradicts that massive sound.

God -Yoink!-, sometimes I wish my English was better. :confused:

> > OP best be trollin’.
> >
> > The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.
> >
> > 343i just went into beast mode.
>
> Have you ever played CE? Go play it than come back.

I have and I love every new sound for the guns in the game to me it feels like a 2011 Halo game.

Could be a glitch, most likely will get fixed. And about the needler’s sound, I like it, but is difficult for 343i to remake a sound for Anniversary that can please everyone.

BTW, they said that all the audio would be new, even if we go back to the old graphics, so I think it gets even more important as an issue…

P.D.: Have you notice the lack of empty shells being rocketed from the pistol? I think that is even more annoying…

> > > OP best be trollin’.
> > >
> > > The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.
> > >
> > > 343i just went into beast mode.
> >
> > Have you ever played CE? Go play it than come back.
>
> I have and I love every new sound for the guns in the game to me it feels like a 2011 Halo game.

Not you lol. Youre fine :slight_smile:

> > > OP best be trollin’.
> > >
> > > The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.
> > >
> > > 343i just went into beast mode.
> >
> > Have you ever played CE? Go play it than come back.
>
> I have and I love every new sound for the guns in the game to me it feels like a 2011 Halo game.

Not you lol. Youre fine :slight_smile:

I think the Needler’s reload has grown on me. You can hear the familiar audio, but it now has a more alien sound to it. I’m more concerned about the Plasma Rifle’s melee sound. I think that’s the only thing, sound wise, that needs tweaking.

I think the FX aren’t yet final, though. The Pistol’s missing the bullet shells; and the PR and Needler’s missing the venting gas and glow of the weapon fire . 343 wouldn’t overlook these details.

> OP best be trollin’.
>
> The Needler sounds like the beast that it is. It is the most awesome sounding Needler in any Halo game so far. I love all of the new sound effects.
>
> 343i just went into beast mode.

Agreed. These are some of the best halo sound effects so far.