The music of the Halo franchise

So I was doing some critical thinking about the Halo series and a thought came to me. All the Halo games have really good music and one thing was coming back to me and that was ODST and Reach had a different feel. Now don’t get me wrong it was great music all the same but it had a darker tone which it should have but I was thinking how great would it be to get back the type of music we had from the first three games. Like the action music and the mystery of the forerunner music and the horror of the flood. Those were all really good sets and I miss them from the first three games. Reach and ODST had some action music yes but it wasn’t the same. My personal hope is that in Halo 4 whenever that may be, they bring us back to the Halo music roots.

Anyone else gunna miss Marty’s work on halo?

The Halo Reach soundtrack lacked a bit of something. The halo 3 ODST soundtrack has good music at night and some at day but some tracks seemed a bit empty. The halo wars soundtrack was really good, it’s good for reading, specially halo cryptum. The halo 3 soundtrack is very emotional, the halo 2 soundtrack is also emotional. The halo CE soundtrack is the base of the soundtracks and the halo legends has some really epic music in it.

> The Halo Reach soundtrack lacked a bit of something. The halo 3 ODST soundtrack has good music at night and some at day but some tracks seemed a bit empty. The halo wars soundtrack was really good, it’s good for reading, specially halo cryptum. The halo 3 soundtrack is very emotional, the halo 2 soundtrack is also emotional. The halo CE soundtrack is the base of the soundtracks and the halo legends has some really epic music in it.

Halo Reach had a lot of music that wasn’t written by Marty. Personally, I think Marty was a little worn out after doing the entire ODST soundtrack in such a short time. ODST, by the way, is my favorite videogame soundtrack of all time… absolutley loved it!

As a musician /wannabe composer myself, I will miss Marty’s work a great deal. He is a truly gifted composer. So much of Halo’s dramatic power is owed completely to him and Micheal Salvatori for their music.

ODST and Reach are completely different than the first 3 halo games. They are darker and more somber, which Marty’s music reflects pretty well.

I am going to miss his music in the next Halo, but I am excited to hear what someone else can do with it.

True that they are a bit different. The first three games had a more religion feel. But i absolutely LOVED the main Halo 3 ODST song. Oh my god that sax is just amazing! The other favorite soundtrack is Halo 2 MJOLNIR mix.

> Anyone else gunna miss Marty’s work on halo?

Me.

One major factor that got me into halo was the amazing sound track I mean by god that music was emotional, inspiring, heroic, moving, uplifting…need I say more? I loved it! Especially Light at the end from the odst soundtrack I play piano and I love that two minutes of solid piano…**beautiful! muy hermoso, magnifico…**need I say more? I loved it, now that halo is losing its soul…Martin O’Donnell I’m a little bit afraid and have only one request Please by god do not I urge you deign to go hardcore with the music Please keep the old soul of halo music and the wonderful theme ( I sing it in class and everyone instantly knows it’s Halo) I know 343i may have found someone or disregard this post in its entirety but as a suggestion think of Hans Zimmer Listen to Batman soundtrack or POTC he’s amazing and I’d love to still enjoy the music in halo cause its the best in gaming and I love it!

…it’s not just a game its…its Halo.

Marty is a fantastic composer and what gets me into the story and universe is the music. It gets me emotional about who just died or what just happened. Without that, i wouldnt care about what just happened. I heard Marty is not composing for 343i, so im worried about who will compose. I have HUGE hopes for 343i and believe theyll be more successful than Bungie. But i do NOT believe that the music will be as good as Martys. What are your thoughts? Anything to make me feel better?

Have you heard the music for 343s motion-comics, it still has that Halo feeling to it, so I think we’ll live. =)

I sincerely hope so. I have based my life around music, going to a musical school. And if Halo 4 fails at it, it will be hard to forgive. I might still play but still… you get my point.

The guy in charge of the audio did a lot of work with the Metal gear series I guess and I kinda liked that. We will have to wait and see though. Hope it’s really good. 343 seem to know music plays a big part in games. They went to all the trouble of redoing the sound for H:CEA with Skywalker studios so that tells you something.

I guess thats what i wanted to hear (kinda). Thanks.

> I guess thats what i wanted to hear (kinda). Thanks.

Sure Here is the guys name and info:

http://jp.linkedin.com/pub/sotaro-tojima/12/a1b/397

I have a feeling 343i will do a bang up job on the Halo franchise!

<4 <343

The guy in charge of music worked on the MGS series. We’ll be fine, trust me. Those of you who have played the MGS games will know.

Well, from what I’ve heard of the music in the motion comics and such, it seems like it will be good. And the music on the Halo 4 trailer, especially at the ending bit there, I loved the sound of that so much. It set an ominous mood.

I’m sure the music will be fantastic. C:

Halo wars, motion comics, halo legends.

Seems good enough.

> Halo wars, motion comics, halo legends.
>
> Seems good enough.

Wasnt Halo wars made by Ensemble?..

<4 <343

343i only hires the best of the best. It’s top shelf or nothing when it comes to halo.