The Most Halo, Halo-Trailer Since 2007

I see a lot of disappointment and frustration in threads on here (which…y’know…to each their own), and I just wanted to share the thoughts of someone who’s been playing since Halo: CE, and loved what he saw today.

Today’s engine demo was more Haloesque in style and tone than any other Halo-game-trailer in the series since 3 (even with, and especially because, of the rhinos and deer some seem so up in arms about). It was beautiful, and it captured the essence of what it was like to land on a Halo ring for the first time in CE. Perhaps those who aren’t fond of what they saw got into the series around Reach or 4 or 5, and can’t connect today’s presentation with their idea of what Halo should be. Recent Halo games in the main series have been way more about a bunch of Spartans showcasing their super powers. Back in the day, Halo was about The Chief, and it was also about delivering the experience of interacting with a massive alien world. That is what today’s trailer gave us. Mystery. Intrigue. A promise of something special and epic and decidedly unlike every other shooter.

Today’s demo also showed how that Halo-world can be expanded and updated for current generation gaming (fully fleshed out weather systems, different & distinct environments, explorable ancient ruins, and various indigenous species all working in concert to give players the feeling of being stranded on a Halo-world). That conceit, and that tone, as well as the allure of exploring such a structure has been missing from the series for the past decade, traded instead for Bro-Spartans. It’s nice to see 343 is bringing the series back to what really made it special (an inviting, strange new world and an exciting, operatic scope), rather than allow Halo to forever stumble in the shadow of COD and other “power oriented”, bland, military run & gun FPSs that cater to short attention spans.

I still remember the Halo 5 cinematic trailer with the Spartans jumping around like overpowered bunnies and sliding all over a mountaintop shooting aliens (it was the opening cinematic of the campaign too) as Knights of Cydonia played in the background.

That was way weirder than the Halo-deer and Halo-rhinos we saw in today’s trailer. That was a disappointment (at least for this longtime Halo fan), because it completely deviated from the tone and perspective that had always made Halo unique. Today, what I saw reminded me why I originally fell in love with this series. It was more than enough to make me excited for whatever 343 has in store, and if it doesn’t come out until 2019 or 2020…that’s perfectly fine. Continue to take your time, 343. Make it as great as possible. It seems like you’re merging the best of the old with the best of the new, and that’s exactly what we need today.

> 2533274803103899;1:
> I see a lot of disappointment and frustration in threads on here (which…y’know…to each their own), and I just wanted to share the thoughts of someone who’s been playing since Halo: CE, and loved what he saw today.
>
> Today’s engine demo was more Haloesque in style and tone than any other Halo-game-trailer in the series since 3 (even with, and especially because, of the rhinos and deer some seem so up in arms about). It was beautiful, and it captured the essence of what it was like to land on a Halo ring for the first time in CE. Perhaps those who aren’t fond of what they saw got into the series around Reach or 4 or 5, and can’t connect today’s presentation with their idea of what Halo should be. Recent Halo games in the main series have been way more about a bunch of Spartans showcasing their super powers. Back in the day, Halo was about The Chief, and it was also about delivering the experience of interacting with a massive alien world. That is what today’s trailer gave us. Mystery. Intrigue. A promise of something special and epic and decidedly unlike every other shooter.
>
> Today’s demo also showed how that Halo-world can be expanded and updated for current generation gaming (fully fleshed out weather systems, different & distinct environments, explorable ancient ruins, and various indigenous species all working in concert to give players the feeling of being stranded on a Halo-world). That conceit, and that tone, as well as the allure of exploring such a structure has been missing from the series for the past decade, traded instead for Bro-Spartans. It’s nice to see 343 is bringing the series back to what really made it special (an inviting, strange new world and an exciting, operatic scope), rather than allow Halo to forever stumble in the shadow of COD and other “power oriented”, bland, military run & gun FPSs that cater to short attention spans.
>
> I still remember the Halo 5 cinematic trailer with the Spartans jumping around like overpowered bunnies and sliding all over a mountaintop shooting aliens (it was the opening cinematic of the campaign too) as Knights of Cydonia played in the background.
>
> That was way weirder than the Halo-deer and Halo-rhinos we saw in today’s trailer. That was a disappointment (at least for this longtime Halo fan), because it completely deviated from the tone and perspective that had always made Halo unique. Today, what I saw reminded me why I originally fell in love with this series. It was more than enough to make me excited for whatever 343 has in store, and if it doesn’t come out until 2019 or 2020…that’s perfectly fine. Continue to take your time, 343. Make it as great as possible. It seems like you’re merging the best of the old with the best of the new, and that’s exactly what we need today.

One of my few observations about it is it seems like it’s a halo 1 trailer that just got updated with xbox one graphics

I completely agree with OP. A lot of what made halo CE great was just exploring the world in a warthog and enjoying those calm moments between firefights. Those created that sense of wonder and mystery and elevated the gameplay.

> 2533274803103899;1:
> Perhaps those who aren’t fond of what they saw got into the series around Reach or 4 or 5, and can’t connect today’s presentation with their idea of what Halo should be.

I am one of those people you mentioned here. I started playing Halo with Reach about a year before 5’s launch. Personally, I see this as a huge benefit because that meant I didn’t have the new Halo mechanics trampling on my nostalgia but I was also able to play all the older games and appreciate them just as much as the new ones. In my opinion, all Halo is awesome and this trailer is definitely Halo therefore Infinite will be awesome. I can’t wait!

I can’t tell if they are trying to appeal to a younger fortnight generation or the Halo CE generations. CE had a mix of pretty levels like silent cartographer and gritty levels live the maw. I hope its going to be more halo CE and less fortnight but we definitely need another trailer.

> 2533274803103899;1:
> I see a lot of disappointment and frustration in threads on here (which…y’know…to each their own), and I just wanted to share the thoughts of someone who’s been playing since Halo: CE, and loved what he saw today.
>
> Today’s engine demo was more Haloesque in style and tone than any other Halo-game-trailer in the series since 3 (even with, and especially because, of the rhinos and deer some seem so up in arms about). It was beautiful, and it captured the essence of what it was like to land on a Halo ring for the first time in CE. Perhaps those who aren’t fond of what they saw got into the series around Reach or 4 or 5, and can’t connect today’s presentation with their idea of what Halo should be. Recent Halo games in the main series have been way more about a bunch of Spartans showcasing their super powers. Back in the day, Halo was about The Chief, and it was also about delivering the experience of interacting with a massive alien world. That is what today’s trailer gave us. Mystery. Intrigue. A promise of something special and epic and decidedly unlike every other shooter.
>
> Today’s demo also showed how that Halo-world can be expanded and updated for current generation gaming (fully fleshed out weather systems, different & distinct environments, explorable ancient ruins, and various indigenous species all working in concert to give players the feeling of being stranded on a Halo-world). That conceit, and that tone, as well as the allure of exploring such a structure has been missing from the series for the past decade, traded instead for Bro-Spartans. It’s nice to see 343 is bringing the series back to what really made it special (an inviting, strange new world and an exciting, operatic scope), rather than allow Halo to forever stumble in the shadow of COD and other “power oriented”, bland, military run & gun FPSs that cater to short attention spans.
>
> I still remember the Halo 5 cinematic trailer with the Spartans jumping around like overpowered bunnies and sliding all over a mountaintop shooting aliens (it was the opening cinematic of the campaign too) as Knights of Cydonia played in the background.
>
> That was way weirder than the Halo-deer and Halo-rhinos we saw in today’s trailer. That was a disappointment (at least for this longtime Halo fan), because it completely deviated from the tone and perspective that had always made Halo unique. Today, what I saw reminded me why I originally fell in love with this series. It was more than enough to make me excited for whatever 343 has in store, and if it doesn’t come out until 2019 or 2020…that’s perfectly fine. Continue to take your time, 343. Make it as great as possible. It seems like you’re merging the best of the old with the best of the new, and that’s exactly what we need today.

I agree, I loved the music choice but seeing that classic Mark VI helmet really made me happy

Compare this reveal to the Avengers ripoff/Power Rangers reveal of Halo 5…

This looks like it has serious potential to innovate, I’ve wanted Halo to become a more open and exploratory since the old days of CE.

I won’t lie I was expecting more than a teaser, but I’m so glad to see 343i pushing forward into something completely new while still paying respect to their roots.

Can’t wait to see whats next.

I mostly agree. I like Halo 5s opening cinematic. It bears nice contrast to Blue Team’s first scene.
I think you’re forgetting that mystery and wonder is just part of what makes a great Halo campaign. That other part is kicking -Yoink!- and playing as a supersoldier that can whoop butt, but take a beating too.
Edit: I take back that last line…for the most part. There’s a balance of mystery, intrigue, scope and adrenaline rushing battles that Infinite needs.