The most disappointing part of Halo 4's story

I’d have to say, was the reaction, or complete lack of one; to the Didact’s revival. I’m liking how 343 in interrogating the novels into the game-verse, but I feel like they assumed everyone reads the novels and already knows who he is. I mean, I knew who he was, but it’d be nice if we had a quick couple of lines of dialog to say who the Didact is.
C:… That’s… the Didact.
MC: Didact?
C:Yes The Didact. A brilliant Military commander. A Forerunner-
MC:WAIT. your saying that’s a Forerunner? A living Forerunner?
Or something. I mean, my jaw dropped when I realized that’s who that was when I first played… I just feel an ingame reaction from John and Cortana to seeing an actual REAL living Forerunner for the first time would have been awesome. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone who read the Terminals in Halo 3 knew who the Didact was.

But you wouldn’t know that that is the Didact.
The Halo 3 Terminals didn’t even explain that there were two.

And I agree, the introducing of living Forerunners kind of skipped over people’s heads in the game.
The Chief made no reference, Cortana really made no reference, Infinity crew made no real reference (besides Lasky) about the Forerunner, Tillson cared more about the Composer being stuck in a rock than the Forerunner assaulting her station.

There were hints throughout the game that the Didact was there. A variation of his symbol randomly appearing on terminals, a Covenant computer terminal repeating the word “Didact” over and over and over again. An Elite lays eyes on him for the first time and shouts out “DIDACT!” and Cortana refers to him as Didact right before they grab a Ghost and boost the heck out of there.

Not that hard to figure out.

I find Spartan Ops the most disappointing part in Halo 4.

The Elites are a joke, and I feel the story is boring and unimportant. Doesn’t helps that Sarah is a major character, unlike in the Campaign, where she was only a secondary character, heck, more like a background character, I barely cared about her, but as a major character… good God…

Why don’t they replace the Elites with Grunts? The Promethean Knights with Crawlers or even Sentinels? I just hate it when a group of Spartan-IVs kills Elites like if they were Grunts, or the fact that they can barely fight.

> And I agree, the introducing of living Forerunners kind of skipped over people’s heads in the game.
> The Chief made no reference, Cortana really made no reference, Infinity crew made no real reference (besides Lasky) about the Forerunner, Tillson cared more about the Composer being stuck in a rock than the Forerunner assaulting her station.

Agreed. Tilson’s line was just horrible, it would have been so easy to edit it a little.

“Want’s it back? You don’t mean…”

At this point they could have said “A living Forerunner?”, but instead they went with “It can’t leave this station, you know that right?”.

> I feel the story is boring and unimportant.

Which is kind of funny because it has introduced the biggest game-changer for humanity in the entire franchise…

> > I feel the story is boring and unimportant.
>
> Which is kind of funny because it has introduced the biggest game-changer for humanity in the entire franchise…

In episode 9.

I’d say the first half of season 1 was boring and uninteresting, the 2nd half though is quite interesting in my opinion.

> > I feel the story is boring and unimportant.
>
> Which is kind of funny because it has introduced the biggest game-changer for humanity in the entire franchise…

I’d think that the intro of the Flood was more important since we don’t know the true power of the Janus key yet. I thought the Didact intro was a good service to those who read 3’s terminals. MC isn’t that emotional to begin with, and Cortana was probably in a thought coma trying to figure out how this was even possible.

I don’t really see this as an issue. Granted a few lines could have been said, but this way it might encourage the rather large group of players that have not read the books to actually READ the books.

Although I have to agree I would have liked to see a bit more “reaction” to the fact that a Forerunner had just appeared… But it is the master chief and he really has seen enough to take something like this in stride.

Also with 343 taking the helm the ship is bound to be a bit wobbly for a bit…and hopefully (God forbid) it won’t capsize.

> I’d have to say, was the reaction, or complete lack of one; to the Didact’s revival. I’m liking how 343 in interrogating the novels into the game-verse, but I feel like they assumed everyone reads the novels and already knows who he is. I mean, I knew who he was, but it’d be nice if we had a quick couple of lines of dialog to say who the Didact is.
> C:… That’s… the Didact.
> MC: Didact?
> C:Yes The Didact. A brilliant Military commander. A Forerunner-
> MC:WAIT. your saying that’s a Forerunner? A living Forerunner?
> Or something. I mean, my jaw dropped when I realized that’s who that was when I first played… I just feel an ingame reaction from John and Cortana to seeing an actual REAL living Forerunner for the first time would have been awesome. :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked the story of Halo 4

> Anyone who read the Terminals in Halo 3 knew who the Didact was.

Seriously.

> I’d have to say, was the reaction, or complete lack of one; to the Didact’s revival.

There was hardly time for a proper “reaction”. The Didact awoke, said “hi” to the Chief, and left. Next thing the Chief knows, he’s fighting off Covenant and Promethean forces to defend the Infinity.

The shortness of the campaign and lack of returning characters from previous halo games other than cortana and MC

> There were hints throughout the game that the Didact was there. A variation of his symbol randomly appearing on terminals,

That would require you to know what that symbol meant, which not everyone did.

> a Covenant computer terminal repeating the word “Didact” over and over and over again.

If you found it.

> An Elite lays eyes on him for the first time and shouts out “DIDACT!”

To be fair, you hear the Elite speak but what he says could be hard to understand. I missed it myself at first and only watching the cutscene again did I understand him.

> and Cortana refers to him as Didact right before they grab a Ghost and boost the heck out of there.
>
> Not that hard to figure out.

True, but I think a better entrance would’ve been nice.

I liked many of the ideas they introduced, but much of the campaign felt like a totally different franchise without much of the heart the original trilogy had. I hope to goodness that they step up their game for halo 5 and really tie it back in closer to the original story, because right now the lore has way to many holes in it.

> I liked many of the ideas they introduced, but much of the campaign felt like a totally different franchise without much of the heart the original trilogy had. I hope to goodness that they step up their game for halo 5 and really tie it back in closer to the original story, because right now the lore has way to many holes in it.

Halo 4 and the Reclaimer trilogy aren’t supposed to feel like the original trilogy. This is a completely new trilogy with a new cast of characters and enemies.

That, and the complete lack of reaction to chiefs return.

Probably the two biggest moments I was looking forward to and they were virtually nonexistant.

Also, I felt bungie had a way of making many things overly-subtle and in the background, but with lots of heart and feel. Well, 343 is making things way too blunt and simplified. Can we find a balance?