The Misconception of ADS in Halo

Hello,
I would like to address the misconception that ADS has made it’s way into Halo.

When I first watched the beta reveal vidoc, I was a little skeptical that ADS had become a reality in Halo. I didn’t necessarily like this seeing as I like Halo’s unique gameplay where firing without aiming is no penalty to accuracy. However, I looked further into the trailer and it was also mentioned that this is a modified zoom function. Here is a link to show the new function:

The picture of the new zoom function is right below the title. Sorry, I am typing this on my iPad so I cannot create a proper link. Anyway, this new zoom changes what we see while the spartan is zooming in to see farther away objects. In this new form of zoom the gun is now present at the bottom. As far as I could tell, this is the only major thing that the new zoom function implements besides the new scopes on the weapons. There is no affect on the accuracy in the base gameplay. What I mean is that if you are not zoomed in, the game still works as it would in any other Halo game. You are able to accurately hit your opponent. The zoom function serves about the same purpose as it did before with a few modifications.

I hope I could clarify this issue as I have seen it being posted about numerous times over the past two days. If any of you have any further observations, please post them below so we can discuss. I would like to see what you guys think. Thank you.

Thank you.

It’s not a “misconception” it IS ADS. Watch the gameplay again. The ONLY gun who’s zoom works the same as in previous titles is the sniper. Yes when unscoped the targeting reticle is present just as before. However what we’ve all been referring to is the way the weapons now operate when zoomed in. The weapons are present when scoped in. Which if you don’t understand the problem with the difference it’s that ADS provides players with peripheral vision while zoomed and the weapon is blocking the part of the target area. It’s clearly ADS. I really don’t know how you’re not understanding this.

> 2533274874084320;3:
> It’s not a “misconception” it IS ADS. Watch the gameplay again. The ONLY gun who’s zoom works the same as in previous titles is the sniper. Yes when unscoped the targeting reticle is present just as before. However what we’ve all been referring to is the way the weapons now operate when zoomed in. The weapons are present when scoped in. Which if you don’t understand the problem with the difference it’s that ADS provides players with peripheral vision while zoomed and the weapon is blocking the part of the target area. It’s clearly ADS. I really don’t know how you’re not understanding this.

why don’t you wait for playing the beta instead of giving bad judgement before? I really think Smart Scope is different from ADS, watch more videos, trust me! :slight_smile:

(sorry for my english, I’m italian XD)

I’ve already watched all the gameplay footage available. I agree that it may not work exactly the same (for example the sights are stable they won’t move like in games such as destiny) but the overall style is.

I’m not trying to pass bad judgment I’m just saying based on what we’ve seen and heard that’s the way it seems to be. And as for waiting until beta it’s honestly better to get opinions out there before hand while they have more time for development.

> 2533274874084320;5:
> I’m not trying to pass bad judgment I’m just saying based on what we’ve seen and heard that’s the way it seems to be. And as for waiting until beta it’s honestly better to get opinions out there before hand while they have more time for development.

• What we have seen is gameplay footage of players using Smart Scope without any penalty to accuracy and movement.
  • What we have heard in videos is 343i saying that Smart Scope is not ADS.
  • What we have read is that Smart Scope is not like ADSSo why are you still saying that it is ADS?

ADS standing for Aim Down Sight. Which is EXACTLY what the new “smart scope” system does.
343i can deny it all they want. It IS ADS. Just because it doesn’t add penalties doesn’t mean it’s not a ADS system.

> 2533274874084320;7:
> ADS standing for Aim Down Sight. Which is EXACTLY what the new “smart scope” system does.
> 343i can deny it all they want. It IS ADS. Just because it doesn’t add penalties doesn’t mean it’s not a ADS system.

Actually it does mean that it is not ADS. ADS in most first person shooters is a way to get more accuracy by pulling the gun up. It also offers changes in movement and other aspects. What we have seen has offered no advantage in accuracy like ADS does. Call it ADS all you want but it is not ADS. ADS is what I explained above and that is not what Halo 5 has.

"Accuracy?" There’s a obvious (while pathetically less than previously) zoom when using smart scope. That’s what smart scope IS. It’s the new way the weapons now scope in. It’s not some optional thing it’s the zoom for the weapon. Unless you don’t count zooming in as trying to be accurate. The changes in movement and whatever “other aspects” is just the way that those games use their ADS system. It doesn’t mean that it’s not the same system. It’s just their variant of a ADS system. Again how do you not understand this concept?

> 2533274874084320;9:
> "Accuracy?" There’s a obvious (while pathetically less than previously) zoom when using smart scope. That’s what smart scope IS. It’s the new way the weapons now scope in. It’s not some optional thing it’s the zoom for the weapon. Unless you don’t count zooming in as trying to be accurate. The changes in movement and whatever “other aspects” is just the way that those games use their ADS system. It doesn’t mean that it’s not the same system. It’s just their variant of a ADS system. Again how do you not understand this concept?

Sure its ADS, but if its fresh, polished and doesn’t take ANYTHING away or add anything, then why is it a problem? For lore perposes it works, gameplay neither hinders or improves, its just a rework of something already there, just a meaty new layer wich will probably be disabled in “barebones”/“purist”/“old school” playlists… Honestly what is the problem?

That’s too much logic for one thread. Thank you, sir.

> 2533274973373704;11:
> That’s too much logic for one thread. Thank you, sir.

ya but honestly the fun happens when you can poke holes through an illogical posters complaints

The problem comes in that it’s changing the established gameplay of the series that’s helped separate it from other shooters. It’s obvious that 343i is doing it solely for marketing purposes or they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble in the first place. It’s a testament of where 343i is taking the series which is why it’s looked at as being such a large issue.

Its because they see the gun that they call it ADS.
Doesnt matter how much you explain to them that ADS doesnt work like Zoom or even that Smart Scope is but Zoom by another name.

In halo accuracy is tied to the gun itself zoom increaces magnification. The increaced accuracy is caused by the player themselves. Your able to see better but the gun functions the same as when hip fired. This is how smart scope works, this is how zoom works. They the same thing.

I didnt like it initially but no matter how wrong it looks or how wrong its going to feel its just regular old zoom. You have to use it as much as zoom because thats what it is.

It’s not “regular old zoom” it -Yoinking!- is ADS. Yeah your right about how accuracy works in Halo. This combined with 343i denying it is why some people aren’t accepting it as ADS but when you break it down you are aiming down the sight of the weapon thus making it a aim down sight system or ADS system. It’s the same thing it just uses a different mechanic. Just because the mechanics that the game uses for accuracy and such are different doesn’t mean it’s not at the root using the same style system

> 2533274874084320;15:
> It’s not “regular old zoom” it -Yoinking!- is ADS. Yeah your right about how accuracy works in Halo. This combined with 343i denying it is why some people aren’t accepting it as ADS but when you break it down you are aiming down the sight of the weapon thus making it a aim down sight system or ADS system. It’s the same thing it just uses a different mechanic. Just because the mechanics that the game uses for accuracy and such are different doesn’t mean it’s not at the root using the same style system

In bold you just defeated your own argument. Doesnt matter what the visuals are.
ADS and Zoom are game mechanics. You call it by What it functions not by what it looks like.

Giving the Zoom mechanic an ADS style paint job doesnt make it anything less of Zoom.

If in CoD they took away visual of the gun when aiming so it would look like the Zoom of Halo it does nothing to change the fact that Cod uses ADS. All that is created in this senerio is ADS with a Zoom paint job.

If halo had the ADS game mechanic that would impact gameplay and break the game. ADS in halo would mean id have to stop to shoot and we’d have a Run OR Gun style of play.

TL;DR version

It can look like ADS but if it Works like Zoom IT IS Zoom.
It can look like ADS but if it doesnt work like ADS it aint ADS

> 2533274874084320;13:
> The problem comes in that it’s changing the established gameplay of the series that’s helped separate it from other shooters. It’s obvious that 343i is doing it solely for marketing purposes or they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble in the first place. It’s a testament of where 343i is taking the series which is why it’s looked at as being such a large issue.

Except that it literally doesn’t change anything about the gameplay. Just a slight cosmetic change.

> 2533274821269382;17:
> > 2533274874084320;13:
> > The problem comes in that it’s changing the established gameplay of the series that’s helped separate it from other shooters. It’s obvious that 343i is doing it solely for marketing purposes or they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble in the first place. It’s a testament of where 343i is taking the series which is why it’s looked at as being such a large issue.
>
>
> Except that it literally doesn’t change anything about the gameplay. Just a slight cosmetic change.

This^^^^. I don’t get how people still don’t understand this -Yoink-. Selfish b*stards.

> 2533274874084320;13:
> The problem comes in that it’s changing the established gameplay of the series that’s helped separate it from other shooters. It’s obvious that 343i is doing it solely for marketing purposes or they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble in the first place. It’s a testament of where 343i is taking the series which is why it’s looked at as being such a large issue.

Rubbish.

First of all Having the option to change the sensitivity of inputs (ie. slow v. fast) on demand through ADS can contribute a lot to the level of control you as the player have on gameplay (which improves it by whatever definition you care to throw out, besides the self-serving and entirely circular “what we had was better because it was.”)

Secondly, being distinctive is not equivalent to being good. I’m glad you took to heart the “everyone is special” talk from your elementary school days but there’s lots of ways one can be special that aren’t constructive. See any given felony (which I’m not comparing anything here to). While ADS makes Halo less special that quality is BY NO MEANS an indicator of worth or quality. We want to avoid direct competition the adoption of any or even all of another game’s individual features will NOT ruin Halo. Its all in the mix for a start, and furthermore 343 seems to be doing a bit more than just updating the series to reach the underside of the bar (such as the integrated set of new movement and combat mechanics.)

> 2533274874084320;3:
> It’s not a “misconception” it IS ADS. Watch the gameplay again. The ONLY gun who’s zoom works the same as in previous titles is the sniper. Yes when unscoped the targeting reticle is present just as before. However what we’ve all been referring to is the way the weapons now operate when zoomed in. The weapons are present when scoped in. Which if you don’t understand the problem with the difference it’s that ADS provides players with peripheral vision while zoomed and the weapon is blocking the part of the target area. It’s clearly ADS. I really don’t know how you’re not understanding this.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but it is true that using zoom in Halo traditionally meant you had “tunnel vision”. Magnum or Sniper, it made no difference. Your field of view was narrowed. I also didn’t notice if the motion tracker went away, which is also a Halo zoom feature.