The Mic Thread

What happened to the community that we used to feel? Its not buried in nostalgia.
The community is there, we just need to make it a reality, we need to resurrect the microphone.
Ive played Halo 4 for over 2 days and I have yet to meet a single person with a mic that actually used it for its purpose; communicating.

I played all day today solely LOOKING for people that had mics and were team players. Nothing.

Microphone communication is what made the old halo’s great, and it can make this halo just as good.

I’m looking for competitive players that are willing to COMMUNICATE through their mic.
Players looking to WIN.
Add me: a wild seagull

bump.

I dont think I really want to talk to random team mates. Ran into 2 yesterday I had my mic unplugged and the following they said was. “Look at all these -Yoinks!- who dont have mics” along with other things.

Put your mic in! Talk!
Team work is how halo is supposed to be played.
They were probably just frustrated (like me) that no one ever uses their mics.

I thought about doing this, but something that I believe to be an impossible obstacle to overcome is the XBL party chat system. When you queue up solo and never hear anyone talk, usually they are actually blabbing away with there friends.

However, every now and again when I feel in an exceptionally good mood Ill play team captain and talk on the mic. Make some call-outs and organize a plan or two…

I’ll never use a mic outside of party chat. I only have it on to talk with friends if they are on as well.

I don’t talk to or listen to randoms. I’m under no obligation to listen to screaming kids, loud music, and tryhard trashtalking ragers screaming at the team for no reason.

> I’ll never use a mic outside of party chat. I only have it on to talk with friends if they are on as well.
>
> I don’t talk to or listen to randoms. I’m under no obligation to listen to screaming kids, loud music, and tryhard trashtalking ragers screaming at the team for no reason.

This is the problem. Everyone has to do their part for it become the norm (again). Back in the day people used to chat with whoever was in their game, and they had fun doing it.
If people weren’t so reclusive to begin with they would realize their is genuinely good people on xbox, and they could have fun, winning, as a team!
Try to use your mic with some randoms if you find any, it can be fun!

> What happened to the community that we used to feel? Its not buried in nostalgia.
> The community is there, we just need to make it a reality, we need to resurrect the microphone.
> Ive played Halo 4 for over 2 days and I have yet to meet a single person with a mic that actually used it for its purpose; communicating.
>
> I played all day today solely LOOKING for people that had mics and were team players. Nothing.
>
> Microphone communication is what made the old halo’s great, and it can make this halo just as good.
>
> I’m looking for competitive players that are willing to COMMUNICATE through their mic.
> Players looking to WIN.
> Add me: a wild seagull

I basically made the same thread the other day. Its sad that hardly anyone uses a
mic anymore and with the H4 rankings as they currently stand and the gameplay mixed with no communication there is almost zero TEAM effort.

It was also so much fun talking with random people although some may be annoying
the good weighed out the bad. And all the responses I got the other day fell in
the line of general consensus “I do not want to talk to randoms”. Terrible. Im 27 so is this the younger generation and simply the way it is with them?

> > I’ll never use a mic outside of party chat. I only have it on to talk with friends if they are on as well.
> >
> > I don’t talk to or listen to randoms. I’m under no obligation to listen to screaming kids, loud music, and tryhard trashtalking ragers screaming at the team for no reason.
>
> This is the problem. Everyone has to do their part for it become the norm (again). Back in the day people used to chat with whoever was in their game, and they had fun doing it.
> If people weren’t so reclusive to begin with they would realize their is genuinely good people on xbox, and they could have fun, winning, as a team!
> Try to use your mic with some randoms if you find any, it can be fun!

Sorry that I like to play games the way I want which is with friends in party chat. Not sure how I’m being a recluse when I’m in a full party with people I know …

I don’t have to do a damn thing. I don’t care if players use a mic or not. I play fine either way whne I am alone. I won’t be listening to random talk I don’t care about. If you have a problem with the way I enjoy playing games you can bring it up with my representative or file a complaint @ IwanttoforceotherstoplayhowIwant.com

I hate these mic threads and players who think they are entitled to telling others they must use a mic with randoms. No just no.

> > > I’ll never use a mic outside of party chat. I only have it on to talk with friends if they are on as well.
> > >
> > > I don’t talk to or listen to randoms. I’m under no obligation to listen to screaming kids, loud music, and tryhard trashtalking ragers screaming at the team for no reason.
> >
> > This is the problem. Everyone has to do their part for it become the norm (again). Back in the day people used to chat with whoever was in their game, and they had fun doing it.
> > If people weren’t so reclusive to begin with they would realize their is genuinely good people on xbox, and they could have fun, winning, as a team!
> > Try to use your mic with some randoms if you find any, it can be fun!
>
> Sorry that I like to play games the way I want which is with friends in party chat. Not sure how I’m being a recluse when I’m in a full party with people I know …
>
> I don’t have to do a damn thing. I don’t care if players use a mic or not. I play fine either way whne I am alone. I won’t be listening to random talk I don’t care about. If you have a problem with the way I enjoy playing games you can bring it up with my representative or file a complaint @ IwanttoforceotherstoplayhowIwant.com
>
> I hate these mic threads and players who think they are entitled to telling others they must use a mic with randoms. No just no.

As he said you are part of the problem. Sure its a free country and you can say or do mostly what you like. But the original Halo community feel is gone because of people like you. You can scoff and ignore but acknowledge that it is fact.

> As he said you are part of the problem. Sure its a free country and you can say or do mostly what you like. But the original Halo community feel is gone because of people like you. You can scoff and ignore but acknowledge that it is fact.

I don’t recall ever saying I’m not the ‘problem’ to no mic use if thats how you want to put it. The truth is I don’t care and fine about it. Everyone should be able to play the game how they want. Mic or no mic. Telling others they have to use a mic is just selfish.

> [
>
> As he said you are part of the problem. Sure its a free country and you can say or do mostly what you like. But the original Halo community feel is gone because of people like you. You can scoff and ignore but acknowledge that it is fact.

No that’s not acceptable. The cause needs to be addressed and blamed, not the symptom.

People using party chat all the time and exclusively party chat in order to avoid the general awfulness of in game chat are innocent. Its the fault of the people who make it awful that drive them away.

> > As he said you are part of the problem. Sure its a free country and you can say or do mostly what you like. But the original Halo community feel is gone because of people like you. You can scoff and ignore but acknowledge that it is fact.
>
> I don’t recall ever saying I’m not the ‘problem’ to no mic use if thats how you want to put it. The truth is I don’t care and fine about it. Everyone should be able to play the game how they want. Mic or no mic. Telling others they have to use a mic is just selfish.

Many would like to see a sense of community once again. No one can make you play any other way but your own. I dont care that you dont care. God forbid some one has an opinion other than your own.

I loved meeting random people to shoot the -Yoink- with through Halo. The countless hours I’d be blasting domes and talking about anything under the sun. It was definitely more social, but that’s because I usually split-screened, and we’d just watch each other’s back.

One of the most memorable moments from the mic was one particular group, between two teams, it was grudge match after grudge match, and the trash talking just escalated. Soon it got to ridiculous heights after a one-kill difference, everyone was laughing and talking trash, then it got a bit too heated. I broke in with “Hey, Hey! …Good game.”

There’s a 6 second pause, then “Good game.” “Yea, good game.”

That was awesome.

> > [
> >
> > As he said you are part of the problem. Sure its a free country and you can say or do mostly what you like. But the original Halo community feel is gone because of people like you. You can scoff and ignore but acknowledge that it is fact.
>
> No that’s not acceptable. The cause needs to be addressed and blamed, not the symptom.
>
> People using party chat all the time and exclusively party chat in order to avoid the general awfulness of in game chat are innocent. Its the fault of the people who make it awful that drive them away.

Maybe Im lucky but I do not have a problem with 90% of people I come across. Back in the day when everyone had a mic on you would get a -Yoink- here and there and the worst you would have to do is mute them. Oh boo hoo.

Again with the way H4 is setup there is almost zero TEAM effort. Not as fun simple as that.

My mic is always readily available for communication. I just end up muting my team due to them being really annoying either due to them being smug, or just random noise coming from their mic.

It’s also annoying when I do turn on my mic to tell my team that I’m going to grab flag and run left and I watch them sit in camo or something. That sort of thing makes me not bother with communication. :expressionless:

> Sorry that I like to play games the way I want which is with friends in party chat. Not sure how I’m being a recluse when I’m in a full party with people I know …
>
> I don’t have to do a damn thing. I don’t care if players use a mic or not. I play fine either way whne I am alone. I won’t be listening to random talk I don’t care about. If you have a problem with the way I enjoy playing games you can bring it up with my representative or file a complaint @ IwanttoforceotherstoplayhowIwant.com
>
> I hate these mic threads and players who think they are entitled to telling others they must use a mic with randoms. No just no.

If you are in a party with the players in your team that is fine.
If you are not in a party with the players on your team, you’re definitely not helping your team. You might as well go play FFA.
If you’re unwilling to help your team, why play a team based game?

I’m not telling you how to play Halo, go mic-less if you want. I’m ATTEMPTING to give suggestions of how everyone could enjoy the halo experience more than they are now. You CAN have positive experiences with random people. You’re setting yourself up for a negative experience if you go into a game with the mindset that everyone is an idiot squeaker.

Team based games are more fun when people work as a team. That is a fact.

Did you come into this thread thinking that my post was singling you out? That I was attempting to force you to play halo in a way that you don’t enjoy?
Please, this is a forum, a discussion area. Don’t go into a thread and start bashing everything you read because you don’t agree with it.

So instead of bashing the thread, tell me WHY you think that a team game is more fun when you play by yourself.

Who knows, maybe you could end up having an interesting conversation with a random person.

P.S. Every “you” in my reply IS NOT directed at solely towards “mystical gaming”, so please don’t take it as a personal attack. I’m trying to have a civilized conversation.

> tell me WHY you think that a team game is more fun when you play by yourself.

I am assuming you mean play by yourself as in not using a mic, or do you mean going in solo? I’ll assume you mean not using a mic

plenty of reasons:

[/li]- peace and quiet

• feel like listening to music through my headset instead of talking
  • feel like chilling out instead of going all tryhard and constant callouts
  • with no talking and chatter I can focus on things I’d miss otherwise
  • winning isn’t a big deal (at least in Reach and Halo 4)

for the record I played Halo 3 and Reach mostly alone. And yes this included halo 3 ranked. and yes if you are wondering, I got to 50 using no mic and listening to music most of the time. So anyone that says a mic is absolutely necessary to win and be good is only fooling themselves. Sure a mic can help but some of us play better without constant chatter in our ears.

> > Sorry that I like to play games the way I want which is with friends in party chat. Not sure how I’m being a recluse when I’m in a full party with people I know …
> >
> > I don’t have to do a damn thing. I don’t care if players use a mic or not. I play fine either way whne I am alone. I won’t be listening to random talk I don’t care about. If you have a problem with the way I enjoy playing games you can bring it up with my representative or file a complaint @ IwanttoforceotherstoplayhowIwant.com
> >
> > I hate these mic threads and players who think they are entitled to telling others they must use a mic with randoms. No just no.
>
> If you are in a party with the players in your team that is fine.
> If you are not in a party with the players on your team, you’re definitely not helping your team. You might as well go play FFA.
> If you’re unwilling to help your team, why play a team based game?
>
> I’m not telling you how to play Halo, go mic-less if you want. I’m ATTEMPTING to give suggestions of how everyone could enjoy the halo experience more than they are now. You CAN have positive experiences with random people. You’re setting yourself up for a negative experience if you go into a game with the mindset that everyone is an idiot squeaker.
>
> Team based games are more fun when people work as a team. That is a fact.
>
> Did you come into this thread thinking that my post was singling you out? That I was attempting to force you to play halo in a way that you don’t enjoy?
> Please, this is a forum, a discussion area. Don’t go into a thread and start bashing everything you read because you don’t agree with it.
>
> So instead of bashing the thread, tell me WHY you think that a team game is more fun when you play by yourself.
>
> Who knows, maybe you could end up having an interesting conversation with a random person.
>
> P.S. Every “you” in my reply IS NOT directed at solely towards “mystical gaming”, so please don’t take it as a personal attack. I’m trying to have a civilized conversation.

Well said.

As someone that generally doesn’t play with my mic plugged in, I can give you an insight into my reasoning. Firstly, I’m fairly introverted, so interacting with strangers can sometimes be quite tiring for me, and I’d rather play in silence.

When I am in a more sociable mood though, I still don’t plug in the mic 90% of the time because I can’t be bothered with abusive morons on Xbox Live, which unfortunately has been my general experience.

That and there are a lot of kids online, and as a guy in my thirties I feel it’s pretty inappropriate to be interacting with other peoples kids, and I can’t be bothered doing so anyway, as there’s too much of an age gap to have anything to talk about.

What does make me plug in the mic, is when I find a friendly group that have some friendly banter and (good natured) trash talk going on.

So those of you who want more people to plug in their mics, I’d suggest you go online more with your friends, and be entertaining. And don’t tolerate people who abuse others, because that’s the reason that a lot of adults just can’t be bothered with anonymous voice chat any more. This is especially true of female gamers. Don’t put up with creepy guys that try to hit on every female voice they hear, it’s a big reason that a lot of female gamers don’t use the mic. I’ve seen first hand the treatment that my wife gets online, and it’s not cool.

When it comes to teamplay, a mic definitely helps a lot, but I find that a lot of team work comes about naturally even without a mic. It’s not a case of either you play with a mic, or you play as an individual. You can infer by other people’s locations, whether they’re playing offence or defence, whether or not the flag carrier needs help, etc.