The Magnum is in need of Saving

Compared to the Beta Magnum, it has been nerfed considerably. I have seen enough of this pistol, to know it is almost comparable to Halo 3’s. It shoots atrociously slow now for a 5 shot. This is a fast killing game, with high mobility. It needs speed or power, but it has neither now due to speed alone.

Besides CE or course, the most solid pistols we’ve had have been Vanilla/TU Reach pistol and H4 pistol. Don’t give us the, “it’s just mainly for sidearm use excuse.” It’s pitiful, but at least there is talk from 343, about a CE legendary pistol coming. Perhaps that’s why it has been nerfed to the ground, because there needed to be distinct difference between the two.

In the games I’ve mentioned before, you could effectively challenge and defeat a BR/dmr/ Carbine/NR etc with a pistol. It’s a side weapon, but push come to shove, they could tango with these weapons to an extent. Guardians pistol can’t compete with a Strong primary weapon start. Call it overreacting, whatever, but I’m sure we all can appreciate a worthy Magnum.

> 2533274821174589;1:
> Compared to the Beta Magnum, it has been nerfed considerably. I have seen enough of this pistol, to know it is almost comparable to Halo 3’s. It shoots atrociously slow now for a 5 shot. This is a fast killing game, with high mobility. It needs speed or power, but it has neither now due to speed alone.
>
> Besides CE or course, the most solid pistols we’ve had have been Vanilla/TU Reach pistol and H4 pistol. Don’t give us the, “it’s just mainly for sidearm use excuse.” It’s pitiful, but at least there is talk from 343, about a CE legendary pistol coming. Perhaps that’s why it has been nerfed to the ground, because there needed to be distinct difference between the two.
>
> In the games I’ve mentioned before, you could effectively challenge and defeat a BR/dmr/ Carbine/NR etc with a pistol. It’s a side weapon, but push come to shove, they could tango with these weapons to an extent. Guardians pistol can’t compete with a Strong primary weapon start. Call it overreacting, whatever, but I’m sure we all can appreciate a worthy Magnum.

Your last paragraph is the reason why it should be nered.

I want it to be useful. But it should never be a replacment for those.

I haven’t seen it in action since the beta, but I’m not liking what I’m hearing here. I’d be happy if they just slapped the H4 magnum in there, that thing was perfect.

Are there any videos that shows how it performs now? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone use it in the E3 videos I’ve watched.

You can see it in some of the warzone gameplay.

The only thing really confirmed so far is that the rate of fire was reduced. According to Josh Homes the post beta pistol was the best its been since CE so I imagine it must improved in some respect. Some brief gameplay I’ve seen actually made it look pretty good, but I hope the final version sees a 4 shot instead of just improvements to range.

I honestly have no idea why some of you consider the Halo 4 Magnum to be a good pistol, especially if you don’t want the pistol to be a mere sidearm. It was literally designed to be one in Halo 4 and it was inferior to the precision rifles in every way that mattered. The Reach Magnum was slightly better, but still limited by base spread on top of bloom and a low magazine.

No weapons should ever be designed to be a only a sidearm, each weapon needs to have its own niche to excel at and ‘clean up’ isn’t one of them. Especially if the starting weapons are going to be AR/Pistol, the Pistol needs to be able to stand up to Precision rifles on the map, otherwise new spawns will just get easily exploited. I’m reserving judgement until we actually get some concrete info on the Pistol changes though, one should not invoke the CE pistol if they are not seriously upgrading the H5 Pistol.

EDIT:Looking at some gameplay again it definitely a 5 shot, but the E3 build is likely an older build so there may be changes that were not reflected in build we just saw. I hope 343 considers bumping it up to a 4 shot before release, I saw a some arena gameplay on Fathom that showed what a 4 shot magnum would look like(the clip showed someone dying in 4 shots but no perfect medal) and oh man I want it so bad. Here’s hoping for change.

What I’ve heard from youtubers who played the game is that fire rate has been reduced but the damage is up.

> 2533274821174589;1:
> Compared to the Beta Magnum, it has been nerfed considerably. I have seen enough of this pistol, to know it is almost comparable to Halo 3’s. It shoots atrociously slow now for a 5 shot. This is a fast killing game, with high mobility. It needs speed or power, but it has neither now due to speed alone.
>
> Besides CE or course, the most solid pistols we’ve had have been Vanilla/TU Reach pistol and H4 pistol. Don’t give us the, “it’s just mainly for sidearm use excuse.” It’s pitiful, but at least there is talk from 343, about a CE legendary pistol coming. Perhaps that’s why it has been nerfed to the ground, because there needed to be distinct difference between the two.
>
> In the games I’ve mentioned before, you could effectively challenge and defeat a BR/dmr/ Carbine/NR etc with a pistol. It’s a side weapon, but push come to shove, they could tango with these weapons to an extent. Guardians pistol can’t compete with a Strong primary weapon start. Call it overreacting, whatever, but I’m sure we all can appreciate a worthy Magnum.

The magnum shouldn’t be as good as the BR or any other load out weapon because your always going to spawn with it

> 2533274819446242;6:
> The only thing really confirmed so far is that the rate of fire was reduced. According to Josh Homes the post beta pistol was the best its been since CE so I imagine it must improved in some respect. Some brief gameplay I’ve seen actually made it look pretty good, but I hope the final version sees a 4 shot instead of just improvements to range.
>
> I honestly have no idea why some of you consider the Halo 4 Magnum to be a good pistol, especially if you don’t want the pistol to be a mere sidearm. It was literally designed to be one in Halo 4 and it was inferior to the precision rifles in every way that mattered. The Reach Magnum was slightly better, but still limited by base spread on top of bloom and a low magazine.
>
> No weapons should ever be designed to be a only a sidearm, each weapon needs to have its own niche to excel at and ‘clean up’ isn’t one of them. Especially if the starting weapons are going to be AR/Pistol, the Pistol needs to be able to stand up to Precision rifles on the map, otherwise new spawns will just get easily exploited. I’m reserving judgement until we actually get some concrete info on the Pistol changes though, one should not invoke the CE pistol if they are not seriously upgrading the H5 Pistol.
>
> EDIT:Looking at some gameplay again it definitely a 5 shot, but the E3 build is likely an older build so there may be changes that were not reflected in build we just saw. I hope 343 considers bumping it up to a 4 shot before release, I saw a some arena gameplay on Fathom that showed what a 4 shot magnum would look like(the clip showed someone dying in 4 shots but no perfect medal) and oh man I want it so bad. Here’s hoping for change.

" The side arm in the game shouldn’t be designed to be a side arm." Halo 4s pistol was good because it could kill in emergency situations, but it’s not something you would Storme a base with

That doesn’t make it a good weapon.

Practically any weapon can fill the “clean up role”, and with higher ammo and fire rate weapons like the Carbine do it better anyways.

But apparently it should be useless just because “it’s a pistol”.

> 2533274819446242;6:
> The only thing really confirmed so far is that the rate of fire was reduced. According to Josh Homes the post beta pistol was the best its been since CE so I imagine it must improved in some respect. Some brief gameplay I’ve seen actually made it look pretty good, but I hope the final version sees a 4 shot instead of just improvements to range.
>
> I honestly have no idea why some of you consider the Halo 4 Magnum to be a good pistol, especially if you don’t want the pistol to be a mere sidearm. It was literally designed to be one in Halo 4 and it was inferior to the precision rifles in every way that mattered. The Reach Magnum was slightly better, but still limited by base spread on top of bloom and a low magazine.
>
> No weapons should ever be designed to be a only a sidearm, each weapon needs to have its own niche to excel at and ‘clean up’ isn’t one of them. Especially if the starting weapons are going to be AR/Pistol, the Pistol needs to be able to stand up to Precision rifles on the map, otherwise new spawns will just get easily exploited. I’m reserving judgement until we actually get some concrete info on the Pistol changes though, one should not invoke the CE pistol if they are not seriously upgrading the H5 Pistol.
>
> EDIT:Looking at some gameplay again it definitely a 5 shot, but the E3 build is likely an older build so there may be changes that were not reflected in build we just saw. I hope 343 considers bumping it up to a 4 shot before release, I saw a some arena gameplay on Fathom that showed what a 4 shot magnum would look like(the clip showed someone dying in 4 shots but no perfect medal) and oh man I want it so bad. Here’s hoping for change.

Halo 4 pistol had great speed, so it being 6sk was never much of a problem. It’s bloom is more or less aesthetic. Reach pistol is 5sk, shoots faster than current Guardians pistol, and TU made bloom almost an aesthetic. Even before TU, working its range and pacing was ok. I’ll never forget the first time I noticeably out pistoled a Dmr user in Reach all while it being a strafe battle. Neither of us missed, but I got my last shot off quicker (thanks to rof).

H2 and 3 pistols aren’t worth any mention. I saw that clip of the 4 shot pistol, but that was later debunked. We agree on a buff though, but I highly doubt the pistol will ever be 4 shot. A change for the better is much needed.

There’s not really much we can say or do until the game releases.

Can’t make a judgement call as I have not yet tasted the desert of the new and “improved” sandbox. However I do believe the original incarnation was something known to a few and yet to be discovered by many as a hair trigger beast in CQB yet a tame and rhythmed scalpel at range where a controlled last double-tap with the shields popping seemingly spelling doom for nearly all.

It was not invincible at any range but it had a feeling across the ranges that each had a unique cadence to find the sweet timing to double-tap the popped shields for a corked-dome kill.

And now for sure, it fires slower than the Carbine but definitely faster than the DMR and is said to be the best it’s ever been since CE… Which makes me ask, how?

The Beta version WAS the best it ever was since CE. The new changes seem to imply the assists have been upped a smidge with the damage otherwise the slower RoF wouldn’t lead to the claim it’s now even better. But as far as that goes… Better how? The potential unassisted TTK is reduced to get a more consistent average TTK because it’s… Tamed power???

As I plan to play more Warzone than Arena, the top tier Pistol may play more to my liking, so I’ll use it a lot more there. In Arena… Well, I will have to wait and see if the changes leave me sour or not.

The fire rate was slowed, but most people say it’s damage was increased, which is understandable considering a version of the pistol similar to CE’s will be a legendary weapon in Guardians(likely. though unconfirmed). It has a similar fire rate to Halo CE’s or 3’s I think.

I hope its not as slow as H3’s magnum, I could fire and reload a musket 6 times before I emptied the magazine in that magnum.

Based on the Warzone footage, it now has the same kill time and ROF as the DMR, which is a nerf compared to the beta. But they improved the scope and removed recoil. I just hope they speed up the ROF a bit - it needs to kill faster than the DMR, given that the DMR has better range. If we have AR + Pistol starts, you shouldn’t automatically always be looking for another precision weapon.

> 2533274971464218;16:
> Based on the Warzone footage, it now has the same kill time and ROF as the DMR, which is a nerf compared to the beta. But they improved the scope and removed recoil. I just hope they speed up the ROF a bit - it needs to kill faster than the DMR, given that the DMR has better range. If we have AR + Pistol starts, you shouldn’t automatically always be looking for another precision weapon.

Exactly, that’s what I’ve been seeing. In Warzone, I want to switch to pistol with confidence. I have seen people dump off the pistol constantly for another precision, or even automatic. You shouldn’t need to do that.

If you have watched season 2 of the sprint you will hear them mention possibility of halo ce magnum as a legendary weapon.

> 2533274830366691;18:
> If you have watched season 2 of the sprint you will hear them mention possibility of halo ce magnum as a legendary weapon.

Yes, I already mentioned that in my post, if you read it. Either way, they didn’t exactly confirm it yet. Even if they did, it’s rare weapon that obviously won’t be featured in the starting weapon set. So it’s not important, meanwhile the base pistol is in everyone’s hands, and subpar. People will be tossing it out.

Someone said it shoots about as fast as the Dmr, I say defintely slower. For it being a clean up weapon, doesn’t seem like it’s going to be effective at even that. Why should I keep a clean-up pistol that shoots slow, unless I want to give the opponent an easier chance of killing me.

I’ve seen to many of these pistol threads recently. Just post on those ones. Can someone Locke this