The Little Things You Want In Multiplayer

Alright folks. It’s time to get picky.

What are the little details you want to be correct in Halo 4?

For me, I want the following:

First Strike does not belong in Top Medals. In Reach, it doesn’t matter what spectacular feats were accomplished, First Strike is ALWAYS on the Top Medals. Newsflash, we don’t care.

No DMR’s in SWAT. Even if it means I have to deal with SWAT Magnums again, the red-headed stepchild of the SWAT family, I don’t care. Now that the BR is back, keep the DMR out. Bloom mucks something up in SWAT that doesn’t make it as sweet as it was in Halo 3.

DO NOT split the playlists into TU and non-TU. This was your fatal flaw with Reach, 343. You split the community even further than it already had been. Take a hint from Bungie: choose your formula and stick with it. When you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing nobody.

Bring back Double XP weekends. None of this maybe-I’ll-get-it-maybe-I-won’t Super Jackpot crap. Nothing was more fun than Double XP grifball goodness on Halo 3.

Objective-based Assassinations. The assassinations we’ve seen so far are pretty sweet. How cool would it be to really bring the pain to a bomb or flag carrier?

Any others? Take it away.

Third person custom game setting option.

Agree with everything in the OP…

• I would like the HORNET AND CHOPPER BACK from Halo 3

I’ll add my own.

1-**No unneeded separation of competitive/social playlists.**There is no reason for there to be sepasrate playlists of every kind in both ranked and social. This does nothing to benefit either side. There is nothing saying a casual player still can’t go into ranked and play, or vise versa. All this does is further separate the community.

If the social playlists were those like action sack or grifball, where skill can’t be measured accurately, then its fine. But if you have 2 slayer, 2 objective, 2 btb, etc. it would not benefit the game in any way.

2-Simplified playlists. This is different from classic in the fact that it still uses armor abilities. I want it to be set up like reach, where we choose from 4 preset loadouts, all with the same weapons but different AAs. No difference in weapons, no armor mods, no specializations. This way, the game can still play more like competitive halo of the past, while still offering several of the new features in the game.

3-Better defined search options. The options in halo reach were good, but they never seemed to do much. I want more options, like a slider for how many levels you want to search up and down.

off topic, I believe the DMR is better for swat than the BR. In halo 4 it will have virtually no bloom, so that won’t be an issue. It also doesn’t have the spread of the BR(which allowed for a lot of cheap double-triple kills in halo 3), and is apparently a bit more difficult to use than the BR in halo 4. I’m not against there being both BR and DMR gametypes in swat, but if I had to choose 1, it would be the DMR.

A betrayal/boot system that doesn’t suck.

I agree with the OP.

> Alright folks. It’s time to get picky.
>
> What are the little details you want to be correct in Halo 4?
>
> For me, I want the following:
>
> <mark>First Strike does not belong in Top Medals.</mark> In Reach, it doesn’t matter what spectacular feats were accomplished, First Strike is ALWAYS on the Top Medals. Newsflash, we don’t care.
>
> Yes, yes, YES! My friends and I all joke about the ‘Honorable Mention’ medal. It’s just stupid that a guy that gets an Extermination-Killtacular and a Running Riot doesn’t get all his medals noted, but my First Strike does. (Which did actually happen once.)
>
> No DMR’s in SWAT. Even if it means I have to deal with SWAT Magnums again, the red-headed stepchild of the SWAT family, I don’t care. Now that the BR is back, keep the DMR out. Bloom mucks something up in SWAT that doesn’t make it as sweet as it was in Halo 3.
>
> Would like to see dual loadouts, maybe. A BR and a DMR, cuz I know SWAT players who feel strongly in both directions. No harm in variety on a small scale, yeah? I, personally, would love a Carbine, but that’d just be unfair from the firerate. =P
>
> DO NOT split the playlists into TU and non-TU. This was your fatal flaw with Reach, 343. You split the community even further than it already had been. Take a hint from Bungie: choose your formula and stick with it. When you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing nobody.
>
> I would have liked that idea if I liked the TU rules, I think. Was (as I recall) originally Halo 3-esque melee bleed with some tweaks that made it feel a bit more like CE mixed with H3 and a few ZB Slayer games thrown in, but then the shields went back to stupid and for some reason I keep getting molested by the pistol unless I have power weapons or get the drop on someone.
>
> Bring back Double XP weekends. None of this maybe-I’ll-get-it-maybe-I-won’t Super Jackpot crap. Nothing was more fun than Double XP grifball goodness on Halo 3.
>
> Nothing to add. DoubleXP was super fun.
>
> Objective-based Assassinations. The assassinations we’ve seen so far are pretty sweet. How cool would it be to really bring the pain to a bomb or flag carrier?
>
> Also awesome. Taking their objective and then beating them to death it would be extremely satisfying.
>
> Any others? Take it away.
>
> Will do.

Varied Playlists: Remember when SWAT was a Rumble Pit option? Or when Team Slayer had the occasional objective game? I miss that. A ‘Bit of Everything’ playlist for both FFA and Team would be amazing. Having gametypes entirely segregated is saddening to me; the thrill of going from gametype to gametype with one party of randoms you’d become fond of without leaving the playlist was never an option in Reach.

On that same matter, back when in Halo 3, we used to have a Double XP Weekend playlist that could be anything from Grifball to Infection to Fiesta, different from week to week. Some of my best gaming memories are playing those lists and wondering what we’d get this week, and I’d love to see them return.

Also, as a closing note on this one, Action Sack is sorely missed.

Fairness in Betrayal: The ‘Option to Boot’ is broken in a severe manner. No rhyme or reason seems to exist to the number of betrayals it takes to get booted. A concrete set of numbers needs to be applied, a ‘strike system’, if you will.

I don’t much care precisely what it is, I just want an end to being killed by someone several times with no boot option, then getting instabooted when I retaliate, or being instabooted for accidental incidents, or more often, the mistake of a teammate (E.G. walking in front of the guy charging a laser/throwing grenades/shooting rockets, running in front of the Warthog or assassinating a ‘stuck’ enemy).

Team Switching in Lobby: I’ve always loved going against a friend, each of us with a team at our backs, in matchmaking. But it’s so hard to do. Having an option to switch teams in the pre-game lobby would be awesome.

Best way I can think to do it is to allow you to pick a Red, Blue or Neutral preference, and it’ll sort you accordingly. Most people probably won’t care, and will be Neutral, but having a friend and you select opposing team preference would allow a little friendly competition in the matchmaking arena. Functionally, it would be similar to Elite or Spartan preference affecting team assignment in Invasion.

Alternatively to that, perhaps a way to mark players you encounter with a preference tag, either that you prefer to fight alongside or against them, and it’ll sort you as best it can accordingly if you end up in the same lobby together.

Probably an impractical daydream, but I had to mention it. Would love it if it can be done.

Might post more later if I think of them and can find this thread.

EDIT: Totally just noticed the OP’s username. Just wanna go on the record saying that she is the best pony.

The end of the game kill fest.
A better booting system
No pointless medals like reload this
Double XP weekends

A sniper rifle that doesn’t dominate against every single thing on a map. It’s ludicrously overpowered, I am hoping that the H4 Sniper is like the sniper of old or at least doesn’t destroy a Banshee in a single clip.

I want to be rewarded for teabagging. I also want rendering for my fileshare here on Wp so I can render my teabagging clips. I plan on making a Teatage before H4’s release. Hell, you never know, you may be featured in my Teatage and not even know it.

> No DMR’s in SWAT. Even if it means I have to deal with SWAT Magnums again, the red-headed stepchild of the SWAT family, I don’t care. Now that the BR is back, keep the DMR out. Bloom mucks something up in SWAT that doesn’t make it as sweet as it was in Halo 3.

I’m sooooooooo not with you on this, screw the BR. DMR SWAT is so buttery. One shot, BAM. No spread to give you safe kills like in Halo 3.

My picks: Decent death animations, reduced melee lunge, remove stupid medals, and bulltrue mutual deaths need to go.

Also, simple playlists, no TU/non-TU BS. Catering to EVERYONE in Reach has got to be 343’s worst move as a new dev.

> I’ll add my own.
>
> 1-**No unneeded separation of competitive/social playlists.**There is no reason for there to be sepasrate playlists of every kind in both ranked and social. This does nothing to benefit either side. There is nothing saying a casual player still can’t go into ranked and play, or vise versa. All this does is further separate the community.
>
> If the social playlists were those like action sack or grifball, where skill can’t be measured accurately, then its fine. But if you have 2 slayer, 2 objective, 2 btb, etc. it would not benefit the game in any way.

Ok so everything BUT action sack and multi team IS RANKED

Is that what you are saying .???

> I want to be rewarded for teabagging. I also want rendering for my fileshare here on Wp so I can render my teabagging clips. I plan on making a Teatage before H4’s release. Hell, you never know, you may be featured in my Teatage and not even know it.

Celebratory crouching spree!

> A sniper rifle that doesn’t dominate against every single thing on a map. It’s ludicrously overpowered, I am hoping that the H4 Sniper is like the sniper of old <mark>or at least doesn’t destroy a Banshee in a single clip.</mark>

Yeah man, because if Reach has taught us anything it’s that the Banshee needs all the help it can get…

Okay, that reminds me of mine - take away the Banshee’s ability to flip. It’s stupidly overpowered and easily abused. If it has to remain, make the flip take energy from the boost bar. As it stands, a “good” pilot will just flip around like they’re on disco biscuits and rack up 50 kills in a game. It’s ridiculous.

> I want to be rewarded for teabagging. I also want rendering for my fileshare here on Wp so I can render my teabagging clips. I plan on making a Teatage before H4’s release. Hell, you never know, you may be featured in my Teatage and not even know it.

If you ever run into me online, please, -Yoink!- and upload. It’d be my honor.

Came up with a couple more, but most not enough to write any more than a tick on a list for.

- If we must have a Covenant mid-grade explosive weapon, please, for the love of the Gods, let it be the Brute Shot, not the Concussion Rifle. Rapidfire explosives that stun and half-blind you? I’d rather have the vehicle-tipping, harder hitting but slower Brute Shot.

- Vehicles, as I understand, are more on Halo 2/3 levels of durability instead of the tinfoil atrocities that Reach had. I hope this is true, and that the ability to de-turret a tank is either removed or takes a little more than a single Spartan Laser hit anywhere on the turret.
At the very least, normal rifles should not be able to throw a several-ton Warthog around like it was made of fluff and rip it apart, nor should a sniper rifle end up one of the better anti-aircraft weapons. Remember how impractical destroying a Hog with anything less than explosives was in Halo 3? Should be that way again, though being able to snipe someone through the windshield with a Sniper rifle? Keep that. The near-impenetrable H3 windshield was annoying.

- As a somewhat opposing point of view to my previous statement, I hope the Splazer is deadlier than in Reach. You used to get torched if it even grazed you when you were out of a vehicle in Halo 3, and it would gut almost anything in one hit if you hit it in the right spot. I want that back.

- A vote of support for S282’s idea of Banshee dodging using up boost meter. It does tend to get a bit ridiculous.

• Assassination animations for more weapons. Ones that come to mind are crushing someone with the ‘heavies’ -Splazer, Rockets, FRG, etc-, some kinda cool thing with the blade on the back of the Grav Hammer and maybe some special ‘brass knuckles’ beating with an Energy Sword with no charge just for fun.

Unique death animations. Lets be honest who doesn’t enjoy it when you kill someone and you have a second to spare and watch him crumble to the floor slowly clutching onto life in vein (god that made me sound like a psycho)

1- A Sniper Rifle that is anti-personnel only. It’s pretty stupid that it can destroy pretty much any vehicle in Reach with ease. From Halo 1 - 3 it was one of those weapons that behaved pretty much perfectly, why it was changed is beyond me. There are already plenty of other anti-vehicle weapons available. Also it needs to be idiot proofed, it seems that just about anyone can pick it up and start raking up kills with it, it’s way too easy to pull off a headshot with it.

2- Someone already mentioned this, but we need to remove multiple playlists that just do the same thing. How many Team Slayer playlists are in Reach? About 3 or 4 (Team Slayer, Super Slayer, The Arena and MLG (Though I think keeping MLG would be a sensible option). Just reduce it down to 1 playlist for Slayer because it’s just splitting up the community. This brings me to my third point:

3- Double XP Weekend Playlists - Halo 3 style, every weekend have a different “weekend” playlist that offers up something that the other playlists don’t. Living Dead shouldn’t be a permanent playlist, but as a double XP weekend it works out just fine - just like Grifball, Action Sack and maybe even SWAT. This can help reduce the amount of unneeded niche playlists that divide the community too much. 343 should identify a “standard” varient of Halo 4 and stick with it, Reach feels like a bit of a jumbled mess. The vast array of custom settings are one of Halos greatest strengths, but are also one of its greatest weaknesses because it doesn’t provide a very cohesive experience. Every time I’ve tried to introduce a friend to Halo (mostly Reach because it’s the newest) they’ve become overwhelmed by the different game variants.

4- Return of the PokéBall emblem. It has been removed from Reach and I miss it dearly. My Gamertag is Pokeh and I can’t even have a PokéBall as an emblem? What’s that all about? Sad face.