The laziness of splattering

Splattering is one of the most fun, yet most annoying things in the game. In Reach, a full speeding ghost could kill you just by gently touching your hitbox as it pasts you - while a full speeding Warthog needs to hit a person who practically isn’t moving, and the mongoose, for some reason for me, splatters when I’m going the same direction as the enemy player, but not when we are going to each other. The one thing I really don’t have much complaints about is the Wraith, seeing as it is massive and has boost.

Please, make it better with less randomness and more physics involved…

I have noticed in Reach that splattering can be inconsistent. Well, at least for me. Everyone else can splatter me with ease.

Revert vehicle physics to Halo 3 = fun!

As long as it’s not Halo: CE love-tap splatters, I’m good with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

> I have noticed in Reach that splattering can be inconsistent. Well, at least for me. Everyone else can splatter me with ease.

Same for me, but with weapons also :confused:

> As long as it’s not Halo: CE love-tap splatters, I’m good with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah yes, many a co-op partner have succumbed to my 1 mph Warthog missile.

I believe it was either Nak3d Eli or Brovo that commented durring one of their live gameplays at PAX that the vehicle splatters were more consistant and more like the Halo 3 system.

> I believe it was either Nak3d Eli or Brovo that commented durring one of their live gameplays at PAX that the vehicle splatters were more consistant and more like the Halo 3 system.

Thank god, it infuriated me how in Reach, I could spend a minute or two tracking a vehicle, and getting close enough to board it, only to get splattered by a unintentional sideways motion from a Revenant, Wraith or Ghost. Or how I jump to board a Wraith and despite the fact that I’m already almost touching it, it accelerates (with or without boost) and kills me . . .

Halo 3 was much more consistent and fair. If I got close enough to a vehicle, it was mine, no and, but or doubts.

> As long as it’s not Halo: CE love-tap splatters, I’m good with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you see the Warthog on the map anywhere you’re probably already too late.

Halo 3 has the best Splatter physics in the series for sure. The netcode just needed improvement. Halo CE was “if it’s moving an inch an hour it kills you”, Halo 2 you literally only sent players flying with like half shields when you slam into them. Halo Reach it’s silly, you can splatter yourself against a wraith by Sprinting into it when it’s not even moving.

I dislike splattering because it’s simple and encourages players to simple thinking when using vehicles. It’s why I liked AL and wish the Hardlight shield could block vehicles. It made the driver more careful and think about how and where he’s driving.

The idea behind the Ghost is to find a target, boost in, fire your cannons, then boost out away from danger or to find another target. But people just hold the left trigger and one of two directions to circle a base and get free kills. Unless backed up by a team, this usually doesn’t last long, but the player doesn’t know anyway else to use the vehicle since splattering is easier and more tempting.

This shows vehicle inconsistency in Halo 4. It doesn’t even look like the guy takes damage… Out of everything I seen from Halo 4 this worried me the most. I had Reach flashbacks when I seen it and almost barfed.

> > As long as it’s not Halo: CE love-tap splatters, I’m good with it. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> Ah yes, many a co-op partner have succumbed to my 1 mph Warthog missile.

HA you too?

AND FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS DONT HAVE ME SPLATTERED WHEN THE TOP OF THE VEHICLE GRAZES MY FOOT.

> This shows vehicle inconsistency in Halo 4. It doesn’t even look like the guy takes damage… Out of everything I seen from Halo 4 this worried me the most. I had Reach flashbacks when I seen it and almost barfed.

NO!!!

> I dislike splattering because it’s simple and encourages players to simple thinking when using vehicles. It’s why I liked AL and wish the Hardlight shield could block vehicles. It made the driver more careful and think about how and where he’s driving.
>
> The idea behind the Ghost is to find a target, boost in, fire your cannons, then boost out away from danger or to find another target. But people just hold the left trigger and one of two directions to circle a base and get free kills. Unless backed up by a team, this usually doesn’t last long, but the player doesn’t know anyway else to use the vehicle since splattering is easier and more tempting.

While I do agree with you to a certain extent, I disagree with your idea of making the Hardlight Shield capable of blocking vehicles.

You see, I do find that the Ghost’s guns are quite underused since they are more useful than people seem to think, but Armour Lock just made me never splatter any enemy in fear that they would have Armour Lock. I don’t think that splattering an enemy should have the risk of having yourself blown up, that’s just rather unfair for the player driving the vehicle.

If Armour Lock EMPed a vehicle rather than blow it up, I’d be a bit happier with it, though I know that the enemy player would often just board the Ghost or stick it with a grenade, leading to essentially the same result.

Honestly, I think that having Armour Lock gone and Hardlight Shield the way it is to be the best way to go. All we can do is hope that people realized through Reach that the Ghost’s guns are actually more useful than they think.

I saved a video in Halo 3 of me splattering this guy at least 6 times in a row before getting out and killing him with my fist.

Vehicles need work.

> I dislike splattering because it’s simple and encourages players to simple thinking when using vehicles. It’s why I liked AL and wish the Hardlight shield could block vehicles. It made the driver more careful and think about how and where he’s driving.
>
> The idea behind the Ghost is to find a target, boost in, fire your cannons, then boost out away from danger or to find another target. But people just hold the left trigger and one of two directions to circle a base and get free kills. Unless backed up by a team, this usually doesn’t last long, but the player doesn’t know anyway else to use the vehicle since splattering is easier and more tempting.

Reach was a bad area for splatters since you couldn’t jump over a vehicle, armor lock was a necessity, which was annoying because vehicle drivers were suddenly getting terrible punished. Even if you think you’ve caught somebody off guard, they could react last minute from a small radar flash and get a kill off of you trying to surprise them.

In Halo 2, 3, and 4, the jump height is increased big time. You can jump clear over a boosting ghost, and THAT is the best defense. Splatters have always been exhilarating just because you know you caught that person off guard where they didn’t have time to jump. Splatters in Reach became a panic moment because people just going into the armor lock, then EMP’ing your vehicle, or just flat out destroying it. Especially something like a heavy Wraith boosting towards a Spartan, something like Armor Lock should NEVER keep you safe.

I’m happy AL is gone, and I’m happy vehicles are returning a bit more to the Halo 3 status. Splatters will be easy as long as you sneak up on the person, no more idiots spamming AL in the middle of the battlefield, and all around more strategy needed to use them.

I actually never really had a problem with Reach splatters, but the Halo 4 one they showed off at the PAX demo looks really inconsistent. It seems like Warthogs will send people flying more often than they kill them.

The amount of polish that Halo 4 has recieved in every other aspect just astounds me. But when it comes to splatter physics, there’s only one way of saying it.

343 Flubbed up.