The LAST PRECURSOR

I’m usually pretty good with the Halo lore, but after reading Primordium, I am confused to heck on the whole Precursor/Gravemind situation. Are Precursors Flood? Did they make the Flood as a last jab at life? Any help clearing up this topic would be appreciated.

I think the captive said “im the last of THIS kind” or something like that.

That whole conversation between the Didact and the captive really spun my head around. Your guess is as good as mine.

The Timeless One was the last of his kind, though what that could mean is anyone’s guess. He does indicate that there are other Precursors alive, outside the galaxy, and that the Flood was created as the ultimate answer to the Mantle. The Flood is unity, as the Timeless One said, mean it would unity everyone under a single mind and end war and strife.

Ultimately, though, I think we’ll have to wait for the third book for definite answers.

Yeah that ending was messed up but ironically was the best part of the novel since it incorporated the Forrunner and human parts of the story together.

> Yeah that ending was messed up but ironically was the best part of the novel since it incorporated the Forerunner and human parts of the story together.

The ending was the best part because the whole damn book is nothing but walkingBasically Precursor’s are Graveminds, a special type of Gravemind. It’s possible that there were others that left the galaxy and are still alive.

> I’m usually pretty good with the Halo lore, but after reading Primordium, I am confused to heck on the whole Precursor/Gravemind situation. Are Precursors Flood? Did they make the Flood as a last jab at life? Any help clearing up this topic would be appreciated.

I suggest you use Spoiler tags for this discussion. Also there are currently other threads about this topic currently available.

> > Yeah that ending was messed up but ironically was the best part of the novel since it incorporated the Forerunner and human parts of the story together.
>
> The ending was the best part because the whole damn book is nothing but walkingBasically Precursor’s are Graveminds, a special type of Gravemind. It’s possible that there were others that left the galaxy and are still alive.

Um, no.

> > Yeah that ending was messed up but ironically was the best part of the novel since it incorporated the Forerunner and human parts of the story together.
>
> The ending was the best part because the whole damn book is nothing but walkingBasically Precursor’s are Graveminds, a special type of Gravemind. It’s possible that there were others that left the galaxy and are still alive.

Stop Spreading this every where there is nothing that supports that.

The TO says he is the last Precursor of his kind, says the ones that created the Forerunners left, and then Says there is no difference between the Flood and precursors.
That combined with everything at the End implies that his race of precursors willingly gave themselves to the flood.

It’s clear that the Primordial is a Flood organism, the Didact positively identifies it as a type of Gravemind. That much is not up for debate, it also appears to have been the ancient Humans that found it and put it in a Precursor prison, clearing up one potential plot hole.

Whether or not it is representative of the Precursors in general is basically up to whether or not you believe it. It claims it is, but it may just be saying this to strike at the Didact the only way it can, “misery is sweetness” after all…

I’m not sure I believe it about the Human’s “cure” either, it must have been researching infection of humans on that ring for some reason, after all.

And Riser seemed immune to airborne spores that quickly killed and consumed Forerunners. Perhaps those were targeted specifically at the Forerunner though.

From what I read I gathered this much:

The primordial was once a Precursor, but it was infected by the flood. Wheather or not it was
willing or not I cannot say. But I will say its clear the forerunners did a thorough job of wiping the
precursors from the galaxy. From what Primordial said its clear the flood were created by the
precursors. Which implies that it would be a last resort to destroying the forerunners. A dying
race would surely want their oppressors to suffer right? But that conclusion could only be drawn
if you believe what the Gravemind says. Even if it was once a Precursor, at that point, it was nothing
more than a mass of thought with a will to consume. Sorry but I refuse to believe anything infected by
the flood, least of all a Gravemind. If you’ve read how the one Gravemind slowly corrupted Cortana,
and how it persisted that Beggar After Knowledge betray the Forerunners, its clear
it will say anything to get what it wants. So to put it simply, even if it was a Precursor, to believe
it is, is to agree with the flood.

From what I read I gathered this much:

The primordial was once a Precursor, but it was infected by the flood. Wheather or not it was
willing or not I cannot say. But I will say its clear the forerunners did a thorough job of wiping the
precursors from the galaxy. From what Primordial said its clear the flood were created by the
precursors. Which implies that it would be a last resort to destroying the forerunners. A dying
race would surely want their oppressors to suffer right? But that conclusion could only be drawn
if you believe what the Gravemind says. Even if it was once a Precursor, at that point, it was nothing
more than a mass of thought with a will to consume. Sorry but I refuse to believe anything infected by
the flood, least of all a Gravemind. If you’ve read how the one Gravemind slowly corrupted Cortana,
and how it persisted that Beggar After Knowledge betray the Forerunners, its clear
it will say anything to get what it wants. So to put it simply, even if it was a Precursor, to believe
it is, is to agree with the flood.

This is my understanding:

The Flood used to be the last surviving Precursors, but they’ve evolved into something else for the purpose of “testing” the humans, and to a lesser extent, the Forerunners.[/spoiler]I know for sure that [spoiler]the “last Precursor” is the Gravemind from the Forerunner-Flood Wars, obviously, and even though he said that he really was the last Precursor, it may not true, since Graveminds seem to like saying cryptic -Yoink- that sounds literal but really isn’t at all.

Okay so I just finished the book and it actually turns out that no precursors are not flood and that precursors were actually pretty much the gods of the universe. Aso if u payed attention u would have read that the precursors beening in charge of the Mantle which is the duty of preserving species had CREATED forerunners to take there place but soon later they found they were NOT capable of this task so they created humans which we found out there were Human-Forerunner wars. and that after deeming the Forerunners unworthy of the task, they tested the Humans and we also found out that the flood can choose to infect its victims. so no the Primordium is not flood the last precursor was the primordium and that the humans were chosen to take over the mantle and also that the flood was created to bring the humans together, and not have civil wars like the forerunners did.

> > > Yeah that ending was messed up but ironically was the best part of the novel since it incorporated the Forerunner and human parts of the story together.
> >
> > The ending was the best part because the whole damn book is nothing but walkingBasically Precursor’s are Graveminds, a special type of Gravemind. It’s possible that there were others that left the galaxy and are still alive.
>
> Stop Spreading this every where there is nothing that supports that.
>
> The TO says he is the last Precursor of his kind, says the ones that created the Forerunners left, and then Says there is no difference between the Flood and precursors.
> That combined with everything at the End implies that his race of precursors willingly gave themselves to the flood.

That’s how I took it too. But I can see where people get confused because there are conflicting beliefs on that particular Gravemind/Precursor. How do we know he is talking in absolutes and not lying? How do we know they are one in the same? How do we know they aren’t?

I’ve re-read it a few times and tend to believe the flood did in fact merge with the precursors - but why?

Where does the mantle all fall into this, as well?