"The last of his kind, humanity's only hope"

If you read the back of Halo 3’s cover, it reads, “the last of his kind, a warrior born for combat, bred for war… and humanity’s only hope”. That phrase alone brings so much to the table. It made the player feel like Master Chief is something extremely special, that Spartans are the best of the best, rarest of the rarest. It also contributes when marines or even occasionally ODST’s exclaim in shock when they see Master Chief.

In Halo 4 I felt like Chief and Spartans in general didn’t matter as much. Sure it is up to him to save the world but the new Spartan IV’s neglect the superhero stance as they are almost equal. Just calling them Spartans alone makes the phrase obsolete and now over used. When they and Chief made first contact, the Spartan IV’s just acted like they’ve known him forever, that he was never MIA, and like he was their equal. From now on, Spartans aren’t as magnificent. They are, however large in numbers which kind of defeats the “cool” feeling that being one in the previous Halos gave.

Sorry, but I disagree. Also I’m glad Spartans are being brought back into the game. Having only one Spartan is not ideal to me.

They said that in Halo CE, too. It’s false, but it’s meant to get the reaction that you had–to make you feel important as Master Chief. In reality, there were still Spartan II’s around throughout the original trilogy, as well as Spartan III’s. Noble Team consisted of 5 Spartan III’s and one Spartan II (Jorge).

The Spartan IV’s aren’t anything new. Spartan II’s are more effective, but are much harder to produce (only about 70 were ever sent into combat roles). Spartan III’s were like Spartan II’s, but cheaper in both augmentation and armor, made to be disposable forces that could be sent into large battles to decimate the enemy. Spartan IV’s are just marines with special training and armor.

This is because of political reasons. Remember at the beginning when that ONI dude was roasting Halsey about the Spartan II project? That’s why the new Spartans aren’t like Master Chief.

While I do agree with you completely, that was kind of the whole point of the Spartan-IVs. To many people, like Del Rio, the Chief is nothing special, just another guy in powered armour, who was replaced by the Spartan-IVs who are much more numerous and “better”. Compared to them, John and the other Spartan-IIs and Spartan-IIIs are abominations of sorts, since they were stolen as kids and forced into a military regime.

However, this also has the effect of showing that Master Chief is, after all, still human. Now that he is one of many, people won’t just regard him as a mythical machine anymore, but as a guy who suffered through a lot.

Of course, although Spartan-IVs do have augmentations and armour, they don’t have nearly the same amount of training or perfect genetics that take full advantage of the augmentations, so John is still superior to them in many ways. Of course, that’s assuming that the Spartan-IV augmentations aren’t vastly superior to those of the IIs and IIIs, but I doubt that they are.

> They said that in Halo CE, too. It’s false, but it’s meant to get the reaction that you had–to make you feel important as Master Chief. In reality, there were still Spartan II’s around throughout the original trilogy, as well as Spartan III’s. Noble Team consisted of 5 Spartan III’s and one Spartan II (Jorge).
>
> The Spartan IV’s aren’t anything new. Spartan II’s are more effective, but are much harder to produce (only about 70 were ever sent into combat roles). Spartan III’s were like Spartan II’s, but cheaper in both augmentation and armor, made to be disposable forces that could be sent into large battles to decimate the enemy. Spartan IV’s are just marines with special training and armor.
>
> This is because of political reasons. Remember at the beginning when that ONI dude was roasting Halsey about the Spartan II project? That’s why the new Spartans aren’t like Master Chief.

Just to make a point of clarity, there were 75 conscripts. Roughly half of those died. There weren’t even 40 Spartan-IIs ever deployed.

> > They said that in Halo CE, too. It’s false, but it’s meant to get the reaction that you had–to make you feel important as Master Chief. In reality, there were still Spartan II’s around throughout the original trilogy, as well as Spartan III’s. Noble Team consisted of 5 Spartan III’s and one Spartan II (Jorge).
> >
> > The Spartan IV’s aren’t anything new. Spartan II’s are more effective, but are much harder to produce (only about 70 were ever sent into combat roles). Spartan III’s were like Spartan II’s, but cheaper in both augmentation and armor, made to be disposable forces that could be sent into large battles to decimate the enemy. Spartan IV’s are just marines with special training and armor.
> >
> > This is because of political reasons. Remember at the beginning when that ONI dude was roasting Halsey about the Spartan II project? That’s why the new Spartans aren’t like Master Chief.
>
> Just to make a point of clarity, there were 75 conscripts. Roughly half of those died. There weren’t even 40 Spartan-IIs ever deployed.

And to add onto that, Spartan-IVs aren’t just marines with special training and armour. More like, they’re just marines or ODSTs with augmentations and armour. The very lack of specialized training is what makes Spartan-IVs so different and inferior to Spartan-IIs and IIIs.

I think the idea is that the Spartans HAVE become common place, to where people aren’t surprised to see one any more, though the Ivanoff station Marines often felt strong admiration to see the Chief.

This may be deliberate, to show how far humanity has come since the war, and it may prove to serve as a contrast for when John’s messianic archetype status kicks in with Halo’s 5 and 6, the one Librarian set up for him. At that point he will TRULY be a legend, more special than ever before, more than human.

Though I agree they could gave done a better job at portraying that admiration with the Spartans.

This.

It shows that Chief is still treated as a pretty big deal. The Marines and other Spartans know how BA Chief is.

A bit like the prequels of star wars, where before there were 5 force users, now there are more than 100.

Though unlike the prequels, I feel the spartan 4’s will actually be fleshed out rather than background scenery.

on a slightly related note, I feel that having spartan teammates should feel like another player, or at least someone that doesn’t basically die in 2 seconds just like the rest of the friendlies.

also slightly related, I feel for…halo 5 I guess, they should make spartan models in story mode/whatever other modes with spartan AI random, like they did with the bodies in the last level of reach.

alright, aside over.

I imagine you’ll see more of why Del Rio was so mean to Chief in Halo 5 and 6. Spartan IIs are probably viewed with a mixture of pity and disgust in human controlled space. Its hard to make a guess with anything in the current universe since youre in isolated areas most of the game.

True. He isn’t the only Spartan anymore. BUT!

How many Spartans saved the galaxy from extermination by both the flood and the Covenant?

One…unless you want to count Dustin Echoes(Which John does not ever recognize) …

Yeah the only scene that truly conveys how renowned Master Chief is, is in the epilogue when all the Marines and Spartan IV’s are waiting and salute him as he gets off the Pelican. I dunno maybe it was just me but I didn’t really notice any Marines or anything say WHOA! It’s Chief, he’s back after 4 years etc. It was sort of just brushed under the table and then after that point it was just business as usual.

I listened to the dialogue, especially on the level ‘Infinity’, and the marines talk about Chief when they see him.
‘Is that…?’
‘I don’t believe it’
‘I thought he was dead!’

Marines still love chief apparently.

The only thing Spartan IVs’ are better at than the previous spartans is that they are more prideful.(*cough Palmer)

> I listened to the dialogue, especially on the level ‘Infinity’, and the marines talk about Chief when they see him.
> ‘Is that…?’
> ‘I don’t believe it’
> ‘I thought he was dead!’
>
> Marines still love chief apparently.
>
> The only thing Spartan IVs’ are better at than the previous spartans is that they are more prideful.(*cough Palmer)

You’re right, also I’d love to see the Spartan IV’s personality change when they encounter the Flood.

There may be a lot of things people don’t like about the S4’s, but at the end of the day they’re trying to do good as well. They may not always act like it (Majestic) but when it’s all said and done they’re going to do whatever it takes to do whats right.

John was never really the last spartan… Just real life PR.

And they still treat John well, the others. Ending as someone else linked.

It’s just a marketing campaign. Granted it’s way better than “an ancient evil awakes” but it’s meant to sell discs more than anything else. Accuracy isn’t so important for that…

Think of movie trailers where the dialog doesn’t match the scene.

I thought OP’s quote was from the first Halo game where Bungie really didn’t know what they had until it was released. They originally only had story from the first game and had to extrapolate from there when they were going into Halo 2.

In my mind, Chief is the best, has and always will be

Stand in front of Marines for a while, and you’ll hear just how much they respect Chief. One even said his kid had a poster of Chief in his bedroom.