The lag ... Yeah .. This again :-)

Ok, Ive been playing Halo since day one and while there have always been issues I cant remember anything like this plethora of frustrations.

Am I a great player? No … Am I good … Yes … But I play for fun and of all the Halo 4 issues the lag has sucked the joy out of this for me … I can deal with all the other issues but the lag

For example: Today I was in the tournament (which btw Im doing terrible in mostly due to lag) … There was a player just standing there (easy kill) … I literally unloaded 2 clips from the Carbine into his head and he didnt drop … Finally, I ran up and hit him … Then he dropped … By then the activity alerted others to my location …

In other instances I shoot and hit 10+ times and they dont drop … Heck, even that many body hits should do the job …

Newer issue is I shoot … I get killed … I respawn … 30 seconds later I get a message that I just killed that player … Huh?

Its not my internet connection … My NAT is set correctly … Landline connection … Wired controller …, you get the picture …

Im getting to the point where there is little point in playing anylonger … Its more frustrating than fun …

I know others are experiencing this so I have to wonder if there is any end in sight? (heck, how about just minimizing it?)

Its gotten to the point where its easy now for me to turn off the game and walk away … Which is sad when you consider we are true Halo fans in my house (games, books, action figures, movie, energy sword …)

Unlike many I dont mind the new story line, the changes in game play … But the lag sucks the enjoyment out of the game experience …

If we were allowed to search regionally, lag wouldn’t be a problem.

If it was still a problem even with this option, then that’s pretty evident that there is a problem with either the players connection or the servers.

I agree, it is the primary reason i stopped playing in January.Even after the game just came out and there were 200k players online with 60k or so in ISlayer, i still experienced constant lag.

I like my headshot’s registering instantly, tyvm.Let’s not forget the crap with getting shot when you go behind a wall and die.

Luckily this will disappear almost completely in Halo 5 as those dedicated servers gonna be coming.Buhahahahaha.

Let’s not forget, no more host advantage.Buhahahahaha.

Sadly this is mainly caused because 343 refused to put in a regional filter option.Which causes people, that should have never been in the same lobby, to connect to each other.

Like the last poster, I played my last H4 multiplayer on June 6th because 70% of my ~1400 H4 WarGames and co-op games were lagged by 0.5+ seconds. I switched back to Halo Reach, use the “Best Connection” filter and less than 5% of my Reach BTB games are lagged like most of my H4 games are. And that’s with less than 25,000 people playing Reach daily and typically 500 to 2,500 people in the Halo Reach BTB Lobby.

Besides the issues raised in the above posts (i.e. “No Best Connection” filters, no “Local Only” filters), there is also the issue of host selection too. H4 inflicted “Host History” on us, which I have explained here :

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2567780_Is-Halo-4-s-Netcode-Bogging-Down.aspx#post2567780

in great detail. That also shows how much effect Host Advantage has on game play (I still wonder why they do not knee cap the host using the average ping time of the players in a game as a solution).

Lastly, these network connection issues could be fixed without changing the game code or GUI - which is the excuse 343 used for not adding a visible CSR in the H4. Host selection method and connection filter options are handled by the player matching servers, therefore they do not need to change the game code to solve this. And they could also allow us to turn on or off filters like “Best Connection” (as in Reach), “Local Only” or “Allow JIP” by logging into your WayPoint account and then checking or unchecking these options on a web page. Then your choices are updated to the server and applied the next game lobby you get into. They already do this with their back end tuning code to adjust weapons and game play, why not do it to help solve crippling lag issues?

But if losing 320,000+ multiplayers in the first month:

http://halocharts.com/2013/playlists_halo4.php

is not sufficient reason to do something, I guess nothing is. I won’t be pre-ordering H5 and likely won’t be buying an Xbox One if I don’t get H5 either.

Lastly, unless MS is building Xbox One server farms all over the world, the only thing that dedicated severs solves is that no one has host advantage. If they build one big server Farm in the USA, then lag due to location will be even worse the further you are from the servers. Search for BF3 server lag issues if you doubt me on this.

Sadly, Im hearing here what I found researching and talking to others … That if there is a fix in the near future its a carefully guarded secret which leads me to believe that lag is here to stay …

I know some will say that 0.5+ sec lag isnt much … Of course those who say it must not play because its more than enough time to effectively ruin things …

Wonder how many have quit playing due to sheer frustration? (I have this mental image of some gamer so frustrated that they throw their controller at the tv … Its actually comical in my head lol …)

What I find disturbing is that this seems to be a widespread issue. Its making gameplay difficult to pointless. Its keeping people from playing.

So why hasnt something been done?

I just realized why the lag bothers me so much … Had a “duh” moment.

I dont complain about a the other changes in H4 because I can learn how to work with new armor, abilities, weapons, maps, vehicles … These are all things that are learnable with time and effort …

However the only thing learnable with lag is that it will completely mess up your game play … There is nothing to learn …

dont get me started on lag.

-host migration every 5 min.
-usless guns(dealling no damage)
-teleporting
-BULL(insert s word here)

> Sadly, Im hearing here what I found researching and talking to others … That if there is a fix in the near future its a carefully guarded secret which leads me to believe that lag is here to stay …
>
> I know some will say that 0.5+ sec lag isnt much … Of course those who say it must not play because its more than enough time to effectively ruin things …
>
> Wonder how many have quit playing due to sheer frustration? (I have this mental image of some gamer so frustrated that they throw their controller at the tv … Its actually comical in my head lol …)
>
> What I find disturbing is that this seems to be a widespread issue. Its making gameplay difficult to pointless. Its keeping people from playing.
>
> So why hasnt something been done?

No Idea why 343 can’t figure this out and fix it. The number of players in the Global championship:

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailyplaylist/Global%20Championship

sure speaks volume to me about how playable H4 is. Thats’ a $200,000 prize and they can barely drum up 7,000 peak players and less than 2,500 a week later? I know some of them are now using the “Host History” as an exploit to always pull host by getting a new account. It’s been complained about on the GC forum list - as well as Lag issues too.

I do know that from reading other Lag related posting in the forums that people have stated they have broken their controllers (thrown. dropped ,beaten with a fist etc.) in frustration over this. Maybe it’s part of the 343 / MS game plan to help sell more 360 Xbox controllers :wink:

I do not have any url links to prove it, but people that attended some of the conferences where 343 had forums had mentioned that 343 is happy with the network play. Obviously 343 is only playing on closed LANs and do no real world testing of the game under typical network conditions. But I guess it’s good enough for them so they can tune maps and weapons - so we lagged out players don’t matter.

This is the first of these threads I’ve ever responded to, but lag has become a problem of late for me. What kills me most is the wait time for games. Not sure what can be done about this, but I’ll throw my voice in to the mix so hopefully 343 can think of a way to improve search times/game lag in Halo 5.

> dont get me started on lag.
>
> -host migration every 5 min.
> -usless guns(dealling no damage)
> -teleporting
> -BULL(insert s word here)

This^ not to mentioned getting kicked 1-2 times a day when a new host is chosen.

I don’t know what changed but ever since around the time BTskirmish was added I’ve been getting the spinning circle by my gamertag almost every game and usually if I see it I’m going to have a game filled with lag.

And no it’ not my connection. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2875250227

Today lag is absolutely terrible. I am not a great player by any means but this is bad.

People complain about lag in this game as if they are trying to play Quake 3 on a foreign server. Yes, I tried that once it was horrible and at least 300 times worse than anything I have experienced in Halo 4.

If you are experiences a lot of problem I suggest that one (or more) of the following is the cause. Ordered from most likely to least likely.

• You are overly sensitive to lag.

• Your home network is congested with other traffic such as YouTube or BitTorrent.

• Interference on Wi-Fi from microwave ovens, neighbors etc.

• You are playing a low population playlist at off peak times (i.e. Crimson DLC @ 10pm GMT +10).

• Your ISP cannot tell the difference between regular peer to peer traffic and gaming traffic.

• You’ve got a bad line.

• You’re extremely unlucky.

The second item on that list does affect all games on Xbox LIVE and typically causes rubber banding, teleporting, not respawning and shots registering at random intervals. It just really sucks when these people get host.

Dedicated servers should be standard with all shooters. I was hoping for this with H4. Lag has always been an issue with host servers. COD and Halo are classic lag fests upon occasion that take away skill and replace it with slop. H4 really did not break any new ground. The COD like perks, crappy vehicle maps IMO and general lack of anything new and improved really brought this game down.
Halo has crippled itself with low team count which ruins most games as soon as a player leaves. One player leaving in a 4v4 destroys the whole game most times and JIP is just annoying and frustrating. I love the campaign, but even that is not innovative or fresh in the H4 installment.

you think that’s bad? it feels to me that 2 things happen every match for me
either

A. Someone Lag switches, which affect EVERYONE
and
B. I Get stuck on the spinning eagle logo that you see before the match starts 50% of the time…

> People complain about lag in this game as if they are trying to play Quake 3 on a foreign server. Yes, I tried that once it was horrible and at least 300 times worse than anything I have experienced in Halo 4.
>
> If you are experiences a lot of problem I suggest that one (or more) of the following is the cause. Ordered from most likely to least likely.
>
> - You are overly sensitive to lag.
>
> - Your home network is congested with other traffic such as YouTube or BitTorrent.
>
> - Interference on Wi-Fi from microwave ovens, neighbors etc.
>
> - You are playing a low population playlist at off peak times (i.e. Crimson DLC @ 10pm GMT +10).
>
> - Your ISP cannot tell the difference between regular peer to peer traffic and gaming traffic.
>
> - You’ve got a bad line.
>
> - You’re extremely unlucky.
>
> The second item on that list does affect all games on Xbox LIVE and typically causes rubber banding, teleporting, not respawning and shots registering at random intervals. It just really sucks when these people get host.

Can you please, please explain something to me. Why is it that with most games not having a local only search option I’m always experiencing lag, yet, when I play a game that does have this option, like Halo: Reach, I rarely experience lag?

Please, please explain that to me.

> http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailyplaylist/Global%20Championship
>
> sure speaks volume to me about how playable H4 is. Thats’ a $200,000 prize and they can barely drum up 7,000 peak players and less than 2,500 a week later? I know some of them are now using the “Host History” as an exploit to always pull host by getting a new account. It’s been complained about on the GC forum list - as well as Lag issues too.

This is interesting … I thought I was getting a false population count that there were only about 900 or so playing in the last few days …

> Today lag is absolutely terrible. I am not a great player by any means but this is bad.

This.

I have had a weird glitch that’s been happening to me for a week or two now that’s been driving me mad. I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered it.

It usually happens in a 1v1 battle in Big Team.

I’ll duke it out with someone, then at the LAST moment, just when I’m about to perform a headshot or killshot, my gun will automatically switch to my secondary and leave me helpless.

It’s terribly infuriating.
I know that I never pushed the switch weapon button. I even thought my controller was going bad, but the same thing has happened to me on 3 different controllers.

Went to a buddies house, and he was experiencing the same thing.

Thoughts?

I have had the gun switch thing occur as well under almost the same circumstances … No clue why its happening though …

Dont think this is lag related lol … But iit definitely disrupts gameplay flow

> I have had the gun switch thing occur as well under almost the same circumstances … No clue why its happening though …
>
> Dont think this is lag related lol … But iit definitely disrupts gameplay flow

Thanks for this.

I’m not sure if it is lag related or not, but it seems to only happen to me in laggy games.

At least I now know I’m not the only one it has happened to.

the crippling lag in spartan ops made it unplayable for me but regular mm was fine.

kinda bites.