THIS IS NOT A HATE TOPIC / POST - IT’S PORPOSE IS TO BRING ATTENTION TO WHERE THE CAMPAIGN WENT WRONG & HOW TO PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPNING IN FUTURE HALO GAMES. - All the presented material in this post is mainly brought to life by the youtuber “the act man” (his videos are linked)
~ My reason for writing this is because Halo holds a very special part in my heart and has been a big part of my life. I want to see the Halo games prosper and be viewed as I view them (and still does) as EPIC games with incredible journeys and amazing story telling which just leaves you wanting more. ~
Now this topic serves to bring focus on what the issues are with the Campaign of Halo 5 (note the Campaign, not the rest of the game). If you like Halo 5 story and the way it was executed that’s fine, but the VAST majority thinks it is a direct slap in the face. Perhaps it was not intentional by 343 but it happened, now this here serves to prove a sorta “Overview” of what is wrong / what went wrong.
As mentioned above (in italic) This information / material in these posts are brought to “life” / together by “The act man” and his videos series called "Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD!?". The series is split into 5 parts each video being roughly 20 minutes long. I will present the links to all five videos below as well as make a quick summarise of the points made through out the videos & make present, the focus of each video more in depth as well (for those who wish to read it or just simply have it on text).
Links to the videos :
Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD !? (Part 1)
Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD !? (Part 2)
Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD !? (Part 3)
Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD !? (Part 4)
Why is Halo 5’s Campaign SO BAD !? (Part 5)
Quick Summarisation of the points made in the videos (on why Halo 5’s Campaign was so bad) :
• The misleading ad campaign that painted a truly epic picture but failed to be in the actual game
• The apparent connection of the campaign with loads of expanded lore material, which alienated the general audience
• Intro cinematics that ruined the pacing and started things of at the wrong foot
• The action scenes that were wasted potential, which acted as a distraction and added nothing to the actual story
• The pointless characters that was shoehorned in to satisfy game mechanics or act as fan service
• Terrible dialogue that consisted of too much exposition
• Poorly written + devolved characters that behave noting like previously
• The lack of connection with the previous games, while simultaneously dropped everything from Halo 4
• The absence of a true protagonist and antagonist, attempts to tell a more complex story that jumps outside the fiction telling norms but a failure to execute this
• A complete disregard for the fundamental basics of fiction writing : Chekhov’s gun, show don’t tell
• Plot points with little to no explanation
• Failure to make the player care or connect to the setting, story and characters.
• A large chunk of terribly voice acted audio logs
• A missing campaign theatre, time trails, leaderboards and campaign scoring (which we eventually got, so good job on this)
• Enemies and villains that we don’t understand or care about
– Very Big ones below –
• An unclear Tone that players can’t feel or connect with
• Vast amounts of filler and a bunch of ideas don’t work together to form a complete “puzzle”
• The misleading ad campaign that painted a truly epic picture but failed to be in the actual game and no explanation from developers on why it never made i
These above points are basically what Halo 5 failed to do properly or if at all.
Now below will be a more in depth focus on each individual video and what they express / what their focus points are. Of course I cannot include every single thing stated in the video (that would take WAY to long to write) but I will try and do the videos justice BUT honestly go watch the videos, they are bound to do the job 100 times better than I can write
Along with these videos “the act man” (the creator of the videos) gives his own take at were 343 went wrong with this campaign and how (potentially) they could / or can fix it in future Halo games.
> I will add the more in depth details of each video over the following days, since they take some time to write down and set up