The Inevitable Happened: REQs Killed Warzone

So you think you’re pretty good at Halo, yes?

Try this experiment then: get into Warzone and play the whole match using only the AR and Magnum. You will be D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-E-D (unless perhaps if you’re a Champion/Onyx - not that I would know).

So what’s my point? My point is that the REQ system transformed Warzone into a game that today - not even three months from launch - you can play only if you built up a massive arsenal. It’s not about technical skills anymore; it’s about who has the bigger guns.

The implications are profound.

For starters, if you’re a newcomer to the game, you will be put off and will just end up not playing it. New players are not gun capitalists. They start off with the basic stuff, just like we all did when the game launched last October. We all had fun back then, because everyone started from scratch and we were just battling it out on even ground. Today, a newcomer is thrown in a game where everyone else will inexorably destroy him with all sorts of mega-guns. He stands no chance. That’s not fun, and the newcomer will drop out. Result: always the same people will play this game. Those same people will inevitably get bored of it, and then guess what? Warzone will die.

Which is such a shame, because Warzone truly is a beautiful concept. But the REQ system will eventually kill it.

But you know what? I don’t think that even the railgun/ sniper rifle/ spartan laser-wielding, overshield-protected, ultra-loaded players really enjoy massacring a poor guy trying to empty an AR clip on them. Truly, you guys firing off all kinds of exotic cannons, you feel like you’re good players when you kill someone shooting at you with a Magnum? Of course you don’t. It’s lame, and you know it. I would even suggest it is somewhat cowardly.

Halo multiplayer is fun because it’s about duels and honing your technical skills. It’s about keeping that -Yoink!- Spartan in your crosshairs while both you and him jump around. When you kill a guy that was using your same gun, that’s when you say “Yes!”. When you use a SAW to kill a guy shooting at you with an AR, you know you don’t get any joy.

The solution? So simple. 343 please create a third Warzone type and call it “Warzone - no REQs”. I’ll bet that in one week 80% of the Warzone population will move over to that game mode. And they’ll be having fun again. Because let’s face it: why do we feel the need to escalate to an SMG or a SAW? Because everyone else does, and if you don’t, you’ll be slayed.

You think only the AR and Magnum would be boring? Want the thrill of the Banshee? Well then give a Banshee to everyone at the same time! Or give tanks or Wraiths to everyone at the same time. You get the idea. Give equivalent levels of destructive power to everyone at the same time.

When in the 1800’s real people had real duels, they used exactly identical pistols. People didn’t have duels of pistols vs. rocks or swords. In every sport in the world competitors use identical gear. That’s when real technical abilities stand out, and that’s when people have fun. Halo is no different. You get the thrill of the kill only if the kill is an honorable and a fair one.

You’ll say: then go play Arena. Fact is, I would like to play Warzone because I love the 12 vs 12 mega-battle concept. But not THIS Warzone, and I for one am dropping out because it’s not fun anymore.

While I disagree with the whole getting destroyed without using a single REQ thing, I’ve gone through multiple games just to get REQ points to build up my arsenal. I think a REQ-less warzone would be fun. Maybe just loadouts. Maybe even a playlist only for Lvl. 15> players.

I have a solution.

  1. Put a limit on high tier cards: This will prevent the enemy team spamming ultra banshees and wraiths, as well as ONI vehicles constantly. Let’s say the team can spawn a max of 2 of each high tier vehicle, so they have to use them strategically.

  2. Base tier vehicles and weapons spawn in armouries and garages- Firstly, this will give incentive to cap the bases, and secondly, base tier (I.e the weakest ones) items spawn there, once or twice a match. What this does is, eliminate those annoying Br and DMR camp fest matches. So everyone will have the chance of using a vehicle, and experience warzone. Once these one or two basic spawns are used, you can then spawn the more powerful REQs. This prevents the team with no good REQs (I.e bad luck in opening packs, like myself) getting steamrolled by ultra banshee after ultra banshee when the game gets to req level 6 and above. And before anyone says “use the plasma pistol and destroy them” that’s kind of hard when their infantry have snipes, beam rifles, and rail guns hammering your base while you are triple capped. The best I have done was destroying 3 scorpions by myself on noctus a few matches ago. And from memory we still lost, and I got the same amount of req points I would have got if I sat in my base tea bagging and doing nothing all game. (If you lose, you get 1800 req points regardless, I’ve tested this many times, I cap the first base, then go and AFK the rest of the match- and get the same amount of points that I would of got if I killed bosses capped bases, became MVP, but still lost, this is another issue).

Warzone is fine. You just get matched against full teams of 12 while playing with randoms. None of the Vehicles are super OP and everything has simple counters. Accept it and move on. Warzone is a very popular play list and the majority likes it how it is. The ONLY thing that could be used to help out warzone is make sure Teams of 12 get placed against teams of 12. Not teams of 12 face -Yoinking!- a entire team of randoms who wont talk to one another all the time.

You think that fancy extotic cannons means no skill and you are simply just lacking in skill. You can kill a person using a Mythic shotgun easily with a AR. Distance is the ally. Another funny thing is that the best weapons are not always the high tier ones.

Whiplash is by far the best gun to use still and its a uncommon.

The plasma pistols will all -Yoink- on any Legendary/Ultra rare vehicle and those are tier 3s common to rare.

A anti vehicle AR will -Yoinking!- destroy a Banshee fairly quickly. 2-3 people using a AR with kenetic rounds shreds a Ultra Banshee pretty quickly also. With that, you should see what a SMG will do.

A BR can and often does shut down any power weapon req pretty easily.

It is all about player SKILL. Warzone is a large team based game mode where there is so many other players and factors going on it does not matter if you are using a Nornfang. A BR can still kill you. If 2 people see you? You can easily die before being able to take cover.

The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.

Not much of an experiment.

> 2728966917079826;5:
> The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
>
> Not much of an experiment.

You missed his point mate.

Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.

Personal Anecdote:
My highest CSR is Platinum 3. I don’t use Reqs at all, I sell them to get more points for unboxing cosmetics (In fact that’s pretty much the only reason I currently play Warzone, the higher amounts of RP). The only weapons I really use are the AR, Magnum, SMG, and BR (the latter two most people have at least one version of by now, and the BR I unlocked in my first crate).

I definitely agree that Warzone is fundamentally imbalanced with the way the req system is executed. I disagree that a No-Req variant would be even remotely popular, because then you’ve really just made a redundant BTB playlist with even less tactical play.

> 2533274875084332;6:
> > 2728966917079826;5:
> > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> >
> > Not much of an experiment.
>
>
> You missed his point mate.
>
> Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.

Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.

Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.

> 2533274925980038;8:
> > 2533274875084332;6:
> > > 2728966917079826;5:
> > > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> > >
> > > Not much of an experiment.
> >
> >
> > You missed his point mate.
> >
> > Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.
>
>
> Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.
>
> Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool. Is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.

Please read my previous post mate.

Its a problem when you have them spamming your base, I did not mean they are OP and indestructible.

Also, you leave out the skill of the user. If the ONI tank user is skilled, he will not be easily boarded. And what if he has 2 ultra banshees watching his back? This happens very often, and is hard to beat, especially while trying to organise randoms to fight against it.

Also. OP. You seem to be making the Magnum out to be some weak under powered weapon… Have you not see how much people scream for it to be nerfed? Magnum is considered by many to be very OP and a lot of people feel it is far to strong.

> 2533274925980038;10:
> Also. OP. You seem to be making the Magnum out to be some weak under powered weapon… Have you not see how much people scream for it to be nerfed? Magnum is considered by many to be very OP and a lot of people feel it is far to strong.

This I agree with. The magnum will beat a BR or DMR if the user is better than the opponent. I.e you get a perfect kill, and they miss a shot or two.

> 2533274875084332;9:
> > 2533274925980038;8:
> > > 2533274875084332;6:
> > > > 2728966917079826;5:
> > > > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> > > >
> > > > Not much of an experiment.
> > >
> > >
> > > You missed his point mate.
> > >
> > > Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.
> >
> >
> > Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.
> >
> > Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool. Is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.
>
>
> Please read my previous post mate.
>
> Its a problem when you have them spamming your base, I did not mean they are OP and indestructible.

If they are spamming your base and no one wants to use their common “trash” tier reqs which are very easily capable of stopping vehicle spam then that is your teams problem. It likely means you got matched against a team of friends playing together OR a more skilled group. Instead of -Yoinking!- about Reqs go play BTB where power weapons can be camped by… oh teams and where people can get outside the maps and snipe you with almost complete safety.

I honestly do not get why people seem to think Warzone is so imbalanced when every req has multiple low tier and high tier counters to them. AR and Magnum are ALWAYS viable weapons. You get points for still losing. You also can be a huge help to teams by going and assassinating the 25p bosses as they spawn. No need for fancy guns. literally 1 punch will kill any soldier boss, any elite boss(whos not in a ghost) Learn the weak points on Ghost bosses. Use a pistol and blow up a Ghost boss in like 5 shots.

> 2533274925980038;10:
> Also. OP. You seem to be making the Magnum out to be some weak under powered weapon… Have you not see how much people scream for it to be nerfed? Magnum is considered by many to be very OP and a lot of people feel it is far to strong.

Many bk’s maybe.

The Magnum is strong in an arena environment. Not overpowered, but strong (and in my opinion not strong enough).

In a Warzone environment, that’s completely different. The sightlines are much larger, and a Battle Rifle is going to be the superior choice most of the time.

> 2533274925980038;12:
> > 2533274875084332;9:
> > > 2533274925980038;8:
> > > > 2533274875084332;6:
> > > > > 2728966917079826;5:
> > > > > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> > > > >
> > > > > Not much of an experiment.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > You missed his point mate.
> > > >
> > > > Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.
> > >
> > >
> > > Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.
> > >
> > > Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool. Is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.
> >
> >
> > Please read my previous post mate.
> >
> > Its a problem when you have them spamming your base, I did not mean they are OP and indestructible.
>
>
> If they are spamming your base and no one wants to use their common “trash” tier reqs which are very easily capable of stopping vehicle spam then that is your teams problem. It likely means you got matched against a team of friends playing together OR a more skilled group. Instead of -Yoinking!- about Reqs go play BTB where power weapons can be camped by… oh teams and where people can get outside the maps and snipe you with almost complete safety.

You did read the previous post right? I said I destroyed the 3 tanks myself and we still managed to lose. Even if you destroy them, they already are far ahead from the result of the steamroll.

> 2533274819302824;13:
> > 2533274925980038;10:
> > Also. OP. You seem to be making the Magnum out to be some weak under powered weapon… Have you not see how much people scream for it to be nerfed? Magnum is considered by many to be very OP and a lot of people feel it is far to strong.
>
>
> Many bk’s maybe.
>
> The Magnum is strong in an arena environment. Not overpowered, but strong (and in my opinion not strong enough).
>
> In a Warzone environment, that’s completely different. The sightlines are much larger, and a Battle Rifle is going to be the superior choice most of the time.

Most of the top tier teams bud just -Yoink- all over people using magnum. In Warzone it is not completely different. A Magnum has a shorter TTK then the BR but at long ranges the BR will outperform yes. Getting into mid range though is very easy in this game. I personally do not think the Magnum is a OP gun but to call it weak is sheer pathetic and skill lacking ignorance.

> 2533274875084332;11:
> > 2533274925980038;10:
> > Also. OP. You seem to be making the Magnum out to be some weak under powered weapon… Have you not see how much people scream for it to be nerfed? Magnum is considered by many to be very OP and a lot of people feel it is far to strong.
>
>
> This I agree with. The magnum willbeat a BR or DMR if the user is better thanthe****opponent. I.e you get a perfect kill, and they miss a shot or two.

JFC… Of course it would… My god people…

Anyways, a more considerate amount of starter REQ packs than previous players started with would probably be the best bet considering some of us have been playing since launch. Wouldn’t hurt to give new players a little taste of higher up REQ’s.

> 2533274875084332;14:
> > 2533274925980038;12:
> > > 2533274875084332;9:
> > > > 2533274925980038;8:
> > > > > 2533274875084332;6:
> > > > > > 2728966917079826;5:
> > > > > > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Not much of an experiment.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > You missed his point mate.
> > > > >
> > > > > Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.
> > > >
> > > > Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool. Is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.
> > >
> > >
> > > Please read my previous post mate.
> > >
> > > Its a problem when you have them spamming your base, I did not mean they are OP and indestructible.
> >
> >
> > If they are spamming your base and no one wants to use their common “trash” tier reqs which are very easily capable of stopping vehicle spam then that is your teams problem. It likely means you got matched against a team of friends playing together OR a more skilled group. Instead of -Yoinking!- about Reqs go play BTB where power weapons can be camped by… oh teams and where people can get outside the maps and snipe you with almost complete safety.
>
>
> You did read the previous post right? I said I destroyed the 3 tanks myself and we still managed to lose. Even if you destroy them, they already are far ahead from the result of the steamroll.

The point of Warzone is for nothing to be 100% bud. I have been on teams where we dominated a team. We even said in game chat we dont want to blow their core because we are having more fun kill farming them. What ended up happening is they managed to catch all 3 bases while we killed a boss because for some reason our team all decided to go to the bosses. They blew out core ending the game that we had a 500 point lead on them with.

Just because you blew up a bunch of tanks does not mean anything. Your team is capable of using tanks also. They are capable of using other reqs to stop the vehicle spam. If your team does not want to then that team does not deserve to win. Simple as that. Use what is available. All reqs common and Mythic tier have multiple counters.

> 2533274875084332;6:
> > 2728966917079826;5:
> > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> >
> > Not much of an experiment.
>
>
> You missed his point mate.
>
> Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.

It doesn’t take much to get a few REQs to get you started, seriously. Even just regular ones like loadout weapon upgrades are enough to hold your own. :\

So are we just not going to acknowledge the fact that all new players start off with 72 cards for free, and get what was it, like 8000 REQ points for free.

Not to mention the addition of daily win packs that have a chance of getting permanent unlocks.

Or that win or lose in warzone they still get 2k+ RP a game.

This game is more friendly towards new players now than it was when we all first started.

> 2533274925980038;17:
> > 2533274875084332;14:
> > > 2533274925980038;12:
> > > > 2533274875084332;9:
> > > > > 2533274925980038;8:
> > > > > > 2533274875084332;6:
> > > > > > > 2728966917079826;5:
> > > > > > > The entire point of Warzone is to use REQs, if you choose not to use them OF COURSE you’re going to be destroyed.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Not much of an experiment.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You missed his point mate.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Its the people who have no choice, the people who still don’t have any REQs to be able to combat those who paid/grind/got lucky and received the good REQs.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Everyone starts somewhere. It is not hard to get high quality reqs. If you think only Legendary and Ultra Rare are good Reqs you have other issues. Chaingun which is a common req costing 2 points is stupidly effective on Captain Wamik, Baron and the Banshee on Noctus. You melt them with it. I often get the kill on those bosses with it whenever I do those maps. Once you kill the banshee boss on Noctus with a Chain gun you can go sit by the jump pads. 3rd person view allows you to safely see when someone hits the jump pad on the opposing side and you can usually kill that person before they can react. A COMMON Req 2.
> > > > >
> > > > > Any tank is still a tank. Rare, Legendary. Board it, done. Easy as pie. Nothing special to that. Oni Tank while really cool. Is simply a tank. Simply walk up behind it, and it’s dead. Pretty easy thing to do.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Please read my previous post mate.
> > > >
> > > > Its a problem when you have them spamming your base, I did not mean they are OP and indestructible.
> > >
> > >
> > > If they are spamming your base and no one wants to use their common “trash” tier reqs which are very easily capable of stopping vehicle spam then that is your teams problem. It likely means you got matched against a team of friends playing together OR a more skilled group. Instead of -Yoinking!- about Reqs go play BTB where power weapons can be camped by… oh teams and where people can get outside the maps and snipe you with almost complete safety.
> >
> >
> > You did read the previous post right? I said I destroyed the 3 tanks myself and we still managed to lose. Even if you destroy them, they already are far ahead from the result of the steamroll.
>
>
> The point of Warzone is for nothing to be 100% bud. I have been on teams where we dominated a team. We even said in game chat we dont want to blow their core because we are having more fun kill farming them. What ended up happening is they managed to catch all 3 bases while we killed a boss because for some reason our team all decided to go to the bosses. They blew out core ending the game that we had a 500 point lead on them with.

I have had matches similar to this too. But my point is, not saying REQs are OP or unbalanced, just that we need to limit the amount of legendary ones that can be spawned in. That’s all I’m saying. There was no need to escalate.