The Ideal Forge Mode

Of course, the ideal next step for Forge Mode would be a full on map-creator, with terrain editing, night and day features, etc. However, if terrain editing is something that just isn’t going to happen, here’s a list of things that 343i could improve on.

*Most of these, if not all, are aesthetic features.

-Bigger Budget
That’s a given.

-Dynamic Lighting
Pretty much the most hated thing in Halo 4’s variation of Forge but I don’t think we need to get rid of it completely. It could be made optional for those times that it would actually help. 343i could also implement a day/night system where you can determine the time of day (position of the sun) to move the shadows cast by your structures and hopefully brighten, or darken, your map.

I’d also suggest making flood-lights a place-able object so you don’t have really dark sections of your map or simply make the already available “lights” brighter because in their current state, they’re more like glowing beacons indicating which base is which, instead of being actual lights.

Or it could just be done away with, whatever works.

-Color/Object Palates
I like the way each Forge map in Halo 4 has it’s own unique objects and I think that can definitely be improved on. For instance, Forge Mode in itself could have three or four different palates, separated by race. Examples being a Human/UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner or even a Flood object palate to create the perfect creepy atmosphere for the, hopefully fixed/improved, Flood game-type.

-Objects
More simple objects or Building Blocks. Since Forge 2.0, I’ve always felt that Forge had lacked rounded objects like spheres and cylinders. I’d certainly be quite happy with less-blocky objects to work with.

More variation in natural objects. Bigger rocks (both flat and rounded), Trees, downed logs, etc. I’m sure some of you could think of more but I’m the kind of person that likes creating outside spaces and I don’t usually want to rely on the areas that are given, so I add “land” using rocks and upside-down tin plates, but most of the time, I’m not able to complete the space due to budget and object restraints.

-Forge Environments
I like the fact that we have three different Forge canvases to choose from but only one of them is the ideal size. So if we could have two or three different Forge World/Forge Island sized maps to choose from, I think I’d be perfectly happy.

That’s about all I can think about at the moment but do you agree/disagree?

What’s your ideal Forge Mode?

> -Objects
> <mark>More simple objects or Building Blocks.</mark> Since Forge 2.0, I’ve always felt that Forge had lacked rounded objects like spheres and cylinders. I’d certainly be quite happy with less-blocky objects to work with.

Building parts, as opposed to complete buildings. Stairways, not staircases. Operable doors. Operable light bridges. Operable hanger doors.

Cmon guys, help me out here.

After dealing with the fact that indoor maps are unfathomly dark due to Dynamic Lighting, and that the actual Light objects themselves fail to properly illuminate areas, I’d really like to see a “Light Volume” object that emits omniscient light throughout a selected radius.

It’d be pretty damn useful, I’ll say!

> After dealing with the fact that indoor maps are unfathomly dark due to Dynamic Lighting, and that the actual Light objects themselves fail to properly illuminate areas, I’d really like to see a “Light Volume” object that emits omniscient light throughout a selected radius.
>
> It’d be pretty damn useful, I’ll say!

Yeah I was thinking that Dynamic Lighting could be kept just by implementing the Day/Night feature but then I thought about indoors maps, like the Grifball court on Erosion: virtually useless because of DL.

> > -Objects
> > <mark>More simple objects or Building Blocks.</mark> Since Forge 2.0, I’ve always felt that Forge had lacked rounded objects like spheres and cylinders. I’d certainly be quite happy with less-blocky objects to work with.
>
> Building parts, as opposed to complete buildings. Stairways, not staircases. Operable doors. Operable light bridges. Operable hanger doors.
>
> Cmon guys, help me out here.

I definitely miss the simple staircase from Halo 3. In fact, I miss the simple palate styles as well.

all of those ideas are great. but with the terrain one, maybe 4 different forge island maps with different terrain. like raining, desert, snow, and just basic ( the terrain they usually use in forge meant worlds) and i would love a much bigger budget. i hope 343i reads this stuff. i mean i get there’s allot of work behind everything we’re asking for. but some of these ideas are definitely worth a look.

i would like to se maybe at least three different forge worlds with objects that fit into their theme layout. different forgeworlds could be

• earths landscape
  • forerunner landscape à la Requiem
  • alien surface landscape maybe some sort of methan swamplands/forest on a homeworld of the grunts or sth like that

:slight_smile:

I would like to see four new things to forge:

1. Terrain shaping (similar to Far Cry 2 map editor)

2. Terrain skins like snow, gras, ice, concrete, sand, …

3. Weather and Time options

4. New object skins (e.g. midship-purple and Sandtrap-brown)

Personally, I despise the colors/design of the objects in Halo 4 forge.
A bit too white/yellow-white for my taste and those colors on the edges makes the map look like a child’s playground.

Perhaps something of a fusion between Halo 3 colors/styles and Halo Reach colors/styles?

And about the dynamic lighting…only if they remove that stupid loading sequence before you can physically jump into a map.

I’d like dynamic lighting better if it could be manually generated… From the Special Tools menu, and NOT each time you exit editor mode.

Forging on split-screen is extremely annoying because of that.

The problem with Dynamic Lighting was that it had to load it EVERY TIME you try to test your maps. If they just make it happen when you save your game instead, it would be a very welcome feature. It makes map look less odd and out of place.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I agree with all other points :slight_smile:

> I’d like dynamic lighting better if it could be manually generated… From the Special Tools menu, and NOT each time you exit editor mode.
>
> Forging on split-screen is extremely annoying because of that.

Multiplayer forging in general sucks now. Which is a shame, since it would have been much better with just that one small change. I used to screw around with friends in Forge all the time and I never could in Halo 4…

> all of those ideas are great. but with the terrain one, maybe 4 different forge island maps with different terrain. like raining, desert, snow, and just basic ( the terrain they usually use in forge meant worlds) and i would love a much bigger budget. i hope 343i reads this stuff. i mean i get there’s allot of work behind everything we’re asking for. but some of these ideas are definitely worth a look.

I’ve always wanted a snow map to forge on.

> Personally, I despise the colors/design of the objects in Halo 4 forge.
> A bit too white/yellow-white for my taste and those colors on the edges makes the map look like a child’s playground.
>
> Perhaps something of a fusion between Halo 3 colors/styles and Halo Reach colors/styles?
>
> And about the dynamic lighting…only if they remove that stupid loading sequence before you can physically jump into a map.

-I like the colors better than Reach’s bland grey, but it does get boring seeing the same thing over and over so I’d like to see a few different palates. Like one with a Covenant color style, one with a UNSC and another with a Forerunner style.

-I think dynamic lighting goes a bit deeper than the momentary loading screen. The built-in indoor grifball court on Erosion is useless because it ends up being too dark when you Forge in it.