The Hydra is a broken mess

Look at this clip, the thing didn’t even recognize that I was aiming at a player and didn’t lock on or even try to.
Not to mention, the gun is virtually useless, if I ever end up behind an unsuspecting enemy like that, there is no excuse for any weapon not to end up getting a kill.

Also dishonorable mention to the plasma caster

That was weird… maybe just a glitch? But I must say I personally like the hydra it’s a beast at long range.

> 2535434455150681;2:
> That was weird… maybe just a glitch? But I must say I personally like the hydra it’s a beast at long range.

Ive managed to get 3 or 4 kills with it from time to time but if the person youre aiming at sees you then youre done. All they have to do is land one bullet then you get descoped and it delocks and all your rockets miss. Its very underwhelming and impossible to use at close range or without aiming at the enemy for 3 seconds first.

> 2533274921838152;3:
> > 2535434455150681;2:
> > That was weird… maybe just a glitch? But I must say I personally like the hydra it’s a beast at long range.
>
>
> Ive managed to get 3 or 4 kills with it from time to time but if the person youre aiming at sees you then youre done. All they have to do is land one bullet then you get descoped and it delocks and all your rockets miss. Its very underwhelming and impossible to use at close range or without aiming at the enemy for 3 seconds first.

It actually wrecks at close range, one shot and melee is how to use it up close and in peoples face (Kind of like a weird shotgun, thats one way to think of it). Really good for ambushing people on Plaza and Riptide as those maps the lock on feature isn’t as effective with the sight lines.

Also, you were really close so I don’t know if you need a certain amount of distance for the lock on ability.

Yeah that looks like a glitch to me, which totally sucks, sorry dude. But I’m with gio206 and think the Hydra is awesome. If you’re using it at close range a lot it’s absolutely no surprize you hate it, it’s simply not a close range weapon like you were using it in that clip. Even if you got the lock there, it’s unlikely you would have lived considering he turned around. Hydra is a support weapon. Lock on to people far away and volley a couple missiles at them, and then don’t look. Go do something else while your missiles track and do their job. Nothing more satisfying than to fire a few off, and leave, and see a kill pop up a couple seconds later. Also remember to bank the shots. The lock will stick even if you fling your aim in another direction, so it’s pretty easy to arc the missiles over or around cover they might be hiding behind.

> 2533274802029738;5:
> Yeah that looks like a glitch to me, which totally sucks, sorry dude. But I’m with gio206 and think the Hydra is awesome. If you’re using it at close range a lot it’s absolutely no surprize you hate it, it’s simply not a close range weapon like you were using it in that clip. Even if you got the lock there, it’s unlikely you would have lived considering he turned around. Hydra is a support weapon. Lock on to people far away and volley a couple missiles at them, and then don’t look. Go do something else while your missiles track and do their job. Nothing more satisfying than to fire a few off, and leave, and see a kill pop up a couple seconds later. Also remember to bank the shots. The lock will stick even if you fling your aim in another direction, so it’s pretty easy to arc the missiles over or around cover they might be hiding behind.

Yeah Im woring on the Hydra commendation at the moment since fiesta is up and so Im only just now getting around to really learning the weapon and it seems inconsistent to say the least. With Typhon I can get 3 or 4 kills before running out of ammo, with the regular Hydra though I almost never get a kill. I do make sure to use it at long range which was why I was trying to stick to the wall when searching for the guy. I didnt know about arcing the shots though, thats helpful advice. Ive just found that it only ever does well when I spot a guy in the open a long ways away who doesnt know Im there…and those are pretty rare circumstances. I really think it needs a buff, I mean weapons like the sniper rifle exist which is a drastically more powerful weapon that involves being scoped so I think the Hydra can afford faster missiles or at least a better lock on feature.
Here are some other problems:
It doesnt always lock on when I aim

If Im aiming at more than one person it ALWAYS picks the one I dont want to be shooting at and I cant switch which target Ive locked on to

The missiles are too easy to dodge unless its the typhon and if the enemy dodges a full batch of 6 missiles then youre instantly low on ammo.

And the only way to use it involves taking away your radar which just adds to your vulnerability.

Allot of the power weapons require a learning curve, which is why the fiesta playlist is so helpful. I was glad to be finished with that commendation. The level 7 hydra absolutely wrecks, very long range, excellent at skirmish.

Halfway through your gun battle It locked on briefly but you got descoped

> 2533274849470050;8:
> Halfway through your gun battle It locked on briefly but you got descoped

As soon as he turned around when I aimed at him it wasn’t locking on so I descoped and tried again but it was too late

> 2533274921838152;9:
> > 2533274849470050;8:
> > Halfway through your gun battle It locked on briefly but you got descoped
>
>
> As soon as he turned around when I aimed at him it wasn’t locking on so I descoped and tried again but it was too late

Yeah you’re right and that was weird. I was just saying, after that when you’re backed up and he’s jumping around, the aimed reticule very briefly turns red then you immediately get descoped.
in my experience its a very good weapon at mid to long (not too long as it won’t lock on) when you remember to arc your shots. Close range however I struggle to get kills. Others have advised on how to manage it but I’ve only pulled it off a few times by spamming it lol

i usually just tuck it in my back pocket if I’m in close.

edit: when too close to enemies, even if you manage to get the lock-on, the missiles will still miss as there’s not enough time for the missile to change direction. It’s better in my opinion to not bother trying to get the lock when in close quaters. Either try to hit them direct or spam it at their feet (both unscoped) and melee or finish them with your secondary. Or just not use it for cqc.

I hate the Hydra Launcher. Tried locking onto a player, another got in the view and it didn’t know which one to lock on to! HOW ABOUT THE FIRST ONE I WAS LOOKING AT?!

Hydra is a great tool, Rocks at medium to extended, (but not long/CQB) range. Was one of the first commendations I finished. Plasma pistol on the other hand . . . .that I’m no good with lol. The Hydra’s not really designed for close combat, or even a head to head gun battle, I read somewhere on these forums that it’s more of an ambush weapon, & it’s true.

Unfortunately that was just a glitch, from my experience the Hydra is a pretty good weapon.

I usually do pick it up if there are some enemy vehicles on the map…other than that I’m not really a big fan of using it on infantry.

Same happened to me. It sucks…

> 2535471595119823;11:
> I hate the Hydra Launcher. Tried locking onto a player, another got in the view and it didn’t know which one to lock on to! HOW ABOUT THE FIRST ONE I WAS LOOKING AT?!

I know right!! This happens so often to me!

Huh, that’s odd. Guess you were just unlucky.

I personally enjoy the Hydra. I get kills with almost every time I use it.

I don’t like the hydra…I’d take a plasma caster over it any day.

This is why I hate the hydra. It never works reliably when I’m using it, but it never seems to fail in the hands of an opponent.

> 2533274820441404;14:
> I usually do pick it up if there are some enemy vehicles on the map…other than that I’m not really a big fan of using it on infantry.

I’m exactly the opposite. I feel like it takes too many shots to destroy a vehicle, whereas only two per infantry.

I’m glad I don’t have to use Fiesta to finish this weapon. I got this one done back when BTB was still ranked. It’s a much better weapon to max out on big maps. Once Fiesta is gone learn where those weapon spawns are and pick em up every time. I guarantee you that once you go on a few sprees with it you’ll love it. Same goes for the Plasma Caster, even though I have maxed out them both I still pick them up all the time.