The Huragok Master Plan to Fire Halo (Yes, Really)

Link to article.

Few entities in Halo live quite as miserably as the Huragok do.

Shunned by their creators, enslaved by the Covenant, tortured and experimented on by the Banished… they just can’t seem to catch a break.

However, in recent years, you may not be aware that these seemingly unassuming victims had an unexpected plan they hoped to fulfil as the Human-Covenant war drew to its inevitable conclusion.

A plan that – if it had succeeded – would have changed everything.

I’d rather you discuss it here on Waypoint instead of trying to push people onto your blog.

> 2533274838418174;2:
> I’d rather you discuss it here on Waypoint instead of trying to push people onto your blog.

Seconded. I’d rather the argument be made here, even if you’re copying it directly from your blog.

> 2533274838418174;2:
> I’d rather you discuss it here on Waypoint instead of trying to push people onto your blog.

I mean, it’s 2500 words long which is not well-suited to a thread here, particularly with the unique formatting and emphasis on images, and it’s my content hub for something I’ve been doing for 6 years now…

I don’t spend hours planning, going over texts, going back through the games to take screenshots, all before actually sitting down to WRITE the thing, to be told to stop “pushing” my content platform.

You have the option to engage or not engage with it if that bothers you.

> 2533274838418174;2:

Actually, it should probably be delivered in the format that the content creator feels most appropriate. The content should live where the creator needs it to live, and the consumers (you) can then discuss it in their desired venue for conversation.

Supporting community destinations like blogs, websites, and other channels is incredibly valuable for the community as a whole. :slight_smile:

> 2533274797632135;5:
> > 2533274838418174;2:
> > I’d rather you discuss it here on Waypoint instead of trying to push people onto your blog.
>
> Actually, it should probably be delivered in the format that the content creator feels most appropriate. The content should live where the creator needs it to live, and the consumers (you) can then discuss it in their desired venue for conversation.
>
> Supporting community destinations like blogs, websites, and other channels is incredibly valuable for the community as a whole. :slight_smile:

Hey its Grim!!!

For those who seem to be unfamiliar with Haruspis, he’s been posting really good content on Halo for a long time. If you follow any youtubers like Halo Canon, he gets mentioned on there semi-frequently.

To respond to the article… well dang I felt bad for the Huragok before, and now I just feel worse. Some of the things the Banished have done to them were worse than even the Covenant could imagine. It seems the UNSC has done a better job of caring for them than the Covenant did at least. So here’s hoping that convinces them to give up this hypothetical plan to activate the Halos lol.

As always fantastic content, Haruspis! It somewhat amazing how the Halo series could make literal floating gasbags be some of the most sympathetic creatures in gaming fiction today. Will be curious to see what their role will be once the Prophets inevitably decide to come back to the galactic stage.

Wow, this is great, thanks! I didn’t know there was so much information regarding the engineers. To answer your question, I guess if it meant returning to my home, and reuniting with my forerunner creators, I would probably still fire the array. I would want to make sure that the surviving forerunners used the same survival method to shield themselves from the weapon too.

> 2533274811368357;1:
> **Link to article.**Few entities in Halo live quite as miserably as the Huragok do.
>
> Shunned by their creators, enslaved by the Covenant, tortured and experimented on by the Banished… they just can’t seem to catch a break.
>
> However, in recent years, you may not be aware that these seemingly unassuming victims had an unexpected plan they hoped to fulfil as the Human-Covenant war drew to its inevitable conclusion.
>
> A plan that – if it had succeeded – would have changed everything.

As ever, entirely brilliant work and took me down a rabbit warren of your previous blogs.

It always amazes me how many of the points you pick up on are things i spotted myself, but could never piece together properly so thank you for doing so.

Keep up the great work.

Adding on what we’ve discussed elsewhere, it is interesting that not only do the Huragok have this mindset about firing the rings, but so do Covenant associated intelligences. The one 343 GS encounters on the Truth and Reconciliation suggests that it will be free once the Covenant accomplish their task. Both synthetic beings, both in bondage to the Covenant, both hoping the Covenant kill itself so they can be freed. Sounds like something worth exploring in the future.

> 2533274812652989;10:
> Adding on what we’ve discussed elsewhere, it is interesting that not only do the Huragok have this mindset about firing the rings, but so do Covenant associated intelligences. The one 343 GS encounters on the Truth and Reconciliation suggests that it will be free once the Covenant accomplish their task. Both synthetic beings, both in bondage to the Covenant, both hoping the Covenant kill itself so they can be freed. Sounds like something worth exploring in the future.

It’s almost like that little exchange between GS and the Covenant AI was foreshadowing the motivations behind the Created Uprising. I know that was probably not the intended foreshadowing at all, but certainly makes me wonder.

I do not ever believe that the Huragok have ever been portrayed as miserable. Weren’t they always described as always being happy to fix things and build no matter for what faction? They’ve always been on the neutral side of things and have helped and interacted with the UNSC on many occasions.

The Huragok are not miserable, nor enslaved.

> 2533274825772887;12:
> The Huragok are not miserable, nor enslaved.

Halo 3: ODST quite clearly paints that picture. The Huragok are happy to fix/alter/improve things, not be used as floating bombs.

> 2533274851065491;13:
> > 2533274825772887;12:
> > The Huragok are not miserable, nor enslaved.
>
> Halo 3: ODST quite clearly paints that picture. The Huragok are happy to fix/alter/improve things, not be used as floating bombs.

Every Halo book I have read has portrayed them the same way

> 2533274825772887;14:
> > 2533274851065491;13:
> > > 2533274825772887;12:
> > > The Huragok are not miserable, nor enslaved.
> >
> > Halo 3: ODST quite clearly paints that picture. The Huragok are happy to fix/alter/improve things, not be used as floating bombs.
>
> Every Halo book I have read has portrayed them the same way

When they’re left to their own devices, they do appear in a blissful state. But that isn’t always the case, as Halo 3: ODST showed with the Covenant actively forcing them to wear explosives. Dare outright states this when first encounter what would become Vergil: “[…] They’re prisoners. Or slaves. Either way, they don’t like the Covenant any more than we do.”

The Banished also aren’t very gentle with their collection of Engineers, what with their various experiments, as Haruspis goes over in his blog.

At the end of the day, they’re not treated very respectfully.

> 2533274825772887;14:
> > 2533274851065491;13:
> > > 2533274825772887;12:
> > > The Huragok are not miserable, nor enslaved.
> >
> > Halo 3: ODST quite clearly paints that picture. The Huragok are happy to fix/alter/improve things, not be used as floating bombs.
>
> Every Halo book I have read has portrayed them the same way

Seems you missed the Engineers fleeing enmass from former Covenant worlds once the Covenant broke apart in Glasslands. Content beings to just jet off at the firsts opportunity.

When you’ve been mistreated for so many years, you tend to get a little desperate for a change in your dire situation.

I guess we should be lucky that the Huragok can’t light Halo rings then. Also not all of the Huragok are enslaved by the Covenant/Banished. We know that there were at least some in Dyson Spheres like the one at Onyx. This is besides the point as those who were mistreated, I feel bad for. Poor guys just trying to live their life, but it’s odd that Vergil wants his Masters (the Forerunners) to come back because they didn’t treat the Huragok the best either. What I mean by the Forerunners come back, is those that survived, who were out of our galaxy at the time of the firing of the Halo array.