The Horrors of the Unknown

I was thinking, after reading the popular theory of Event Horizon being an early venture into the Warhammer 40k universe, that we know so little about the hidden and the unknown of the Halo universe.

The worst we’ve seen so far, and currently know of, in Halo is the Flood - who were created by the Precursors. But if the Precursors were so far advanced so early in the history of the known universe, what other horrors lie beyond the Milky Way Galaxy? Have other species rose to power that equals or exceeds the capabilities of the Precursors, and are there horrors that make the Flood seem tame?

If mankind should achieve the Mantle in the future iterations of the game and vanquish the remnants of the Precursors or the hostile elements of the Forerunners, what will their next challenge be?

Problem is that the UNSC is not the Imperium. Theres a limit on how powerful they can make whatever humanity fights before it gets silly. Whereas if you had a crazy Bloodthirster show up you could just have a Space Marine go toe to toe with that.

I think that while it is an interesting view, looking at halos universe on a larger scale opens up infinite possibilities, both bad and good.

Seeing the precursors as good or bad is possibly a wrong outlook, we have to remember, that the precursors may not share the same moralities sentiment that we do.

When they attacked us in the past, think prehistoric human era, they were testing us, t o see if we were worthy. In the same way a teacher would test his students to make sure they are prepared for what lies a head.

We had proved ourselves worthy and they left us alone. What we see in the games, is a small collective of what remains on the rings, trying to survive. It attacks us out of necessity, rather than to destroy us.

I feel we won’t ever fight against the flood again, unless the precursors decide to test us once again, which is unlikely. I would like to meet a precursor in future games.

Even though im not very religeous and don’t believe in a god, it would be amazing to see their divine power, and see what they think of us. Bottom line is I think the future of what lies ahead, is both exhilirating and harrowing, but we shouldn’t assume any one motive over the other.

My approach here is what might possibly lie in other galaxies in the Halo universe. I don’t know if we’ll ever explore that possibility, but if the Precursors and Forerunners reached the level that they did, it’s reasonable to assume that another species in another galaxy is equally, if not more advanced.

The Precursors went to another galaxy and took the Flood with them when they fled. So there’s a chance that the Flood reached the self sustaining stage in this other galaxy. Consider it non-canon until we get news saying otherwise though.

> 2533274803587475;2:
> Problem is that the UNSC is not the Imperium. Theres a limit on how powerful they can make whatever humanity fights before it gets silly. Whereas if you had a crazy Bloodthirster show up you could just have a Space Marine go toe to toe with that.

Spartans doing battle with deamons. That, I would pay to see.

The Precursors nature is horrifying enough. They’re straight up eldritch abominations inspired by Lovecraft, and from Greg Bear’s own words the Eddorians, the monster from the book Atlantic Abomination etc and they’re similar to those unpronounceable chaotic beings from Marathon. Also Silentium references Forerunner ships disappearing near mysterious Precursors Anchors and most were never seen again. Those who did come back who were still alive were found to have gone insane from whatever they encountered and required extensive mind-reconstruction therapy to fix. I immediately thought of the movie Event Horizon and Lovecraft.