The Halo CE/PC Banshee was the great Banshee

As Halo 4 approaches, I am brimming with anticipation. But the coming of new games also reminds me of the past:

> The Halo PC Banshee was a vehicle with a “skill gap.” I use this term to only convey that one could “master” a Banshee and discover many beneficial maneuvers. One could perform quick and precise turnarounds. There was no button for automatic flips. The fuel rod wasn’t a 1 hit kill. In Halo PC, one could fly upside down.

CE Banshee:

a) Plasma and Fuel Rod could be fired together (only a short pause perhaps) because of separate buttons.

b) It was ideal to drain the shields of an opponent with plasma fire and then use the Fuel Rod to finish them. Faster than using the fuel rod and waiting for it to recharge. Note, took two Fuel Rod hits to kill an enemy.

c) Fuel rod did not home in. Allowed for user accuracy, precision flips of enemy vehicles.

d) No boost or automatic flips. It seems an effective strategy for the Reach Banshee is to:

• shoot fuel rod
  • instantly do upwards flip insanely fast
  • oftentimes repeat for many kills

e) With the CE Banshee one could rely on surprise attacks or unique maneuvering to survive against groups. You could do maneuvers that aren’t possible in the later variations.

• Skydiving, head straight down. Like dive bombing.
  • Hover and turn in place.
  • Turn at extremely tight angles.
  • Cut the power and drop extremely quickly.

Concluding, I love/loved the Halo CE Banshee. Fairly sturdy, fun to use, much sharper turn radius than the H3 and Reach variants. More like an air support vehicle (matched full speed of Warthogs I believe) than a boost flip fuel rod strike vehicle.

Sadly, some aerial feats cannot be repeated without a mouse and keyboard, but the controller still makes for some fast turnarounds and swift dodges.

I am very much looking forward to Halo 4! The maps look great and the vehicles will be fun to use. But if the Banshee reflects some of the CE Banshee capabilities, I will enjoy Halo 4 even more.

I prefer the Halo 2 Banshee.

I honestly don’t care which Banshee is introduced in Halo 4, so long as it’s not that broken heap of Banshee from Reach. Out of everything they TU’d, you would have thought 343i would at least have considered the Banshee.

It was horribly imbalanced, and in the Invasion Playlist on Spire all the Spartans would do was simply camp The Elite Spawn and Banshee to Stat-Pad. Same goes for BtB. It was an utter joke. :confused:

The Banshee in Reach was a disasterpiece of a vehicle.

As an avid Halo PC player I agree.

But the problem is, is that the sandbox is much different. If in an alternate reality, the Reach Banshee WAS good, you could say it could be in Halo 4. The gap between H4 and Reach is not nearly as big as H1 and H4.

For example, a strategy of Halo PC players was to teamshoot the Banshee with the magnum. The god pistol was only in Halo 1, not in others, so right there it’s a problem.

But yeah, what the guy above me said…just make it better than Reach’s.

I bet you guys love the banshee because it can’t be destroyed.

I don’t really get the rap against the Reach Banshee. It’s still fairly nerfed from what it’s supposed to be like story-wise, and there are so many weapons that can beat it that getting in one usually only ensures a dozen kills, if that, before you get blown away.

I’d argue that it has a big skill gap, with that in mind. If you’re average at it, you get a couple kills at most and die. If you listen closely for rockets, remain aware of any potentially harmful elements like a turret, tank, Falcon, etc., know when to retreat, dodge, etc. you can get a crapton of kills.

> I don’t really get the rap against the Reach Banshee. It’s still fairly nerfed from what it’s supposed to be like story-wise, and there are so many weapons that can beat it that getting in one usually only ensures a dozen kills, if that, before you get blown away.
>
> I’d argue that it has a big skill gap, with that in mind. If you’re average at it, you get a couple kills at most and die. If you listen closely for rockets, remain aware of any potentially harmful elements like a turret, tank, Falcon, etc., know when to retreat, dodge, etc. you can get a crapton of kills.

Indeed, it’s so easy to take a Banshee down, but nobody ever does it. You only need 3 or 4 guys to shoot at it and it will get destroyed in seconds. The Banshee is supposed to be fast and powerful, but to be that, the Banshee also has to give up endurance.

I liked Halo: Reach’s and Halo 2’s Banshee the most and I absolutely hated the Halo 3 Banshee. The most annoying thing was that you only had a small angle to look up and down, same thing with the Hornet, it was terrible…

> I don’t really get the rap against the Reach Banshee. It’s still fairly nerfed from what it’s supposed to be like story-wise, and there are so many weapons that can beat it that getting in one usually only ensures a dozen kills, if that, before you get blown away.
>
> I’d argue that it has a big skill gap, with that in mind. If you’re average at it, you get a couple kills at most and die. If you listen closely for rockets, remain aware of any potentially harmful elements like a turret, tank, Falcon, etc., know when to retreat, dodge, etc. you can get a crapton of kills.

The issue with Invasion is my personal vendetta. The Elites have a Plasma Pistol, sure. However, it doesn’t track nearly as well as it should against the Banshee. The Banshee’s evading is far too instantaneous, and can be spammed far to much.

Spartans have their DMR, so eliminating a Banshee with Team Shooting isn’t much of an issue. Though, Elites are forced to hit it with either a Plasma Bolt or stick it. It can be prevented, of course by making sure the Spartans don’t get it in the first place. However, unless you go in with a full team of 6 you always have a few idiots who don’t realize how overpowered it is in Spartan hands and end up ignoring the damn thing.

I usually go in with a Team of Two in Invasion, so the issue is obvious.

All it needs it a nerf with its evading, honestly and it would be fine. But, due to the Elite’s lack of good Anti-Vehicle Weaponry from the spawn it was ridiculous. Spartans at least have the AoE Grenade Launcher.

Outside of Invasion? Eh, Banshees aren’t very problematic if you have a few guys who know what they’re doing with a DMR.

I bet you guys love the banshee because it can’t be destroyed.

> I bet you guys love the banshee because it can’t be destroyed.

Which banshee are you referring to, the CE or Reach version?

I think the Reach banshee is a bit weaker than CE, but it’s boost ability gives it great speed that the CE Banshee did not have.

I believe if the Halo 4 Banshee has better maneuverability (without boost spins) and a weaker fuel rod, it will be a more enjoyable vehicle.

Halo 3 banshee was the best

> Halo 3 banshee was the best

I found the Halo 3 Banshee’s fuel rod was not overly powerful which was good. But it had an oblique turning radius and couldn’t hover like the CE Banshee. Kinda limited maneuverability, relying on its boost tricks.

What did you like about the Halo 3 Banshee?

having flown the halo 4 banshee at one of the events, I can say that it does not dive down as much as the halo reach banshee, the turns are wider, and the fuel rod cannon takes a single shot to kill. The plasma rounds also do more damage (from an interview i heard, although i can’t confirm that last bit)

I also liked the CE PC Banshee. A lot of people liked it too, but the issue with it was trying to destroy it. Just as much as the Reach banshee has maneuver ability issues, the CE banshee had destruction issues. sure, it was weaker, but it too how many shots from warthogs to destroy it?

Honestly, I like the Halo 4 Banshee currently, so I’m ok with no changes.

> I also liked the CE PC Banshee. A lot of people liked it too, but the issue with it was trying to destroy it. Just as much as the Reach banshee has maneuver ability issues, the CE banshee had destruction issues. sure, it was weaker, but it too how many shots from warthogs to destroy it?
>
> Honestly, I like the Halo 4 Banshee currently, so I’m ok with no changes.

The Machine Gun (Standard) Warthog was the best counter against the Banshee, I loved hunting down pilots with it. I didn’t think it took too many shots.

> having flown the halo 4 banshee at one of the events, I can say that it does not dive down as much as the halo reach banshee, the turns are wider, and the fuel rod cannon takes a single shot to kill. The plasma rounds also do more damage (from an interview i heard, although i can’t confirm that last bit)

Interesting, thanks. I watched a video of Gamesager playing, and the fuel rod’s area of effect seems a bit less. And he mowed down people with plasma very quickly, which is nice.

> > I bet you guys love the banshee because it can’t be destroyed.
>
> Which banshee are you referring to, the CE or Reach version?
>
> I think the Reach banshee is a bit weaker than CE, but it’s boost ability gives it great speed that the CE Banshee did not have.
>
> I believe if the Halo 4 Banshee has better maneuverability (without boost spins) and a weaker fuel rod, it will be a more enjoyable vehicle.

Um… Do you really have to ask?
Last time I checked, you can destroy the Reach Banshee. :expressionless:

As long as the Banshee isn’t horribly overpowered like Reach’s it’ll be ok.

My perfect Banshee: take the design from Reach, the engine sounds and firepower from CE, the endurance from Halo 3, make it so evasive maneuvers deplete your boost meter and voila! Perfection.

CE banshee was the best.

Aerial tricks aren’t needed for the banshee. They are frustrating to players trying to target the banshee and are long awkward animations that take away player control. They don’t encourage good piloting if you have an evade button.

The banshee shouldn’t always be on the move, bring back the hovering ability. You should be able to stay still, risk vs. reward at work. Stay still, get more shots off, but be open to more fire. Keep moving, less shots off, less prone to fire. Give the player choice.

Remove the auto tracking on the fuel rod bomb. Very nooby feature. Let players place their shots where they want.

Let the banshee fire both fuel rod bombs and plasma fire at the same time, weaken the bombs and plasma to accomodate.

Bring back the sleeker, longer design. The malformed dwarf banshees we have now look dumb.

Do this, and I’ll be happy. ^^

How about we just get a simulator-control aircraft, like Battlefield’s jets? No hovering for repeated kills and hard to use effectively, but the pilot is open to do whatever he can in terms of manueverability. Instead of pressing a button to do a flip, he actually does a flip. That’s what I want.