The Halo 4 team making the right decisions...

Other developers not so much, we all know that Jen Taylor will voice Cortana and that Steve Downes as always will voice Chief. Then on the performance capture side they are using Mackenzie Mason as Cortana and Bruce Thomas as Master Chief, then sync up the voice acting to the performance acting.

That brings me to the point I’m getting to as the new Splinter Cell has a new voice actor for Sam Fisher, not Michael Ironside who voiced him from the beginning. The reason the devs gave is that Michael Ironside is too old to do the performance capture acting required for the game. All they had to do was do what 343i are doing for Halo 4 and we would still have the same iconic voice we always had. 343 know it was very important to keep the same voice actors even if it means extra work for the team.

[deleted]

> I’ve never understood why people think it’s so important to have the same voice actor for every single game. If, a voice actor were to pass away for example, or if the voice actor decided to retire, would you still rage when a new voice actor takes the old one’s place?

IMO its very important as a voice identifies a character as much as what he/she look like. Regarding Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher he voiced him in the very first Splinter Cell his voice is Sam Fisher. Imagine if 343 changed the voice of the Master Chief I don’t think you or anyone else who is a Halo fan would like that, I know I wouldn’t.

> I’ve never understood why people think it’s so important to have the same voice actor for every single game. If, a voice actor were to pass away for example, or if the voice actor decided to retire, would you still rage when a new voice actor takes the old one’s place?

It’s completely different when a person dies. No one has any control over such a thing, so you can’t rage at them for hiring a replacement for that reason. C’mon…

But aside from that, keeping the same voice actors is important and especially so if the original one had an iconic voice or was simply brilliant in their role. Not many will be pleased to know you ditched the old actor because you thought they were getting old, and were too damn cheap to hire a performance capture to do the action bits for them. I know I wouldn’t appreciate that crap.

So I’m glad 343 kept our beloved voice actors. Steve Downes and Jen Taylor are a huge part of what makes Halo Halo imo.