The Gunplay Of Halo

Okay, so here’s a simple question: What is the Gunplay of Halo (Multiplayer) and what so special about.

What’s the problem with it as of now?

I ask this question, because after playing another addictive FPS (BF3), I wonder whats so great about Halo gunplay; Understand I’m NOT saying Halo should become all BF3-like, but everytime I jump into a Halo game, I know what to expect out of the game-Aim for the head, look at your radar, Maybe bother with the objective, melee when close but be wary of boltshotters, grenade when enemies are in corners, avoid using automatics, rinse and repeat…

Also here’s another question, if you can how would you change The Gun-play of Halo; Do you think you know a solution to make automatics more skill required to use? Or something of that sort.

I’ve never played Battlefield. Is it a twitch shooter where a few bullets to the foot gets the kill like CoD? I like Halo because when I get shot in the back I have a chance to turn around and still come out on top.

If using a precision weapon:
Point gun in general direction of bad guy
Fire quickly
Run out of ammo
Die
You are now 5-2! Enjoy.

If using an automatic weapon:
You are using the Assault Rifle
Point gun at bad guy’s chest
Shoot, shoot, shoot!
If the bad guy is 3+ meters away, die
If the bad guy is less than 3 meters away, run out of ammo
Die
You are now 3-2! Enjoy.

> I’ve never played Battlefield. Is it a twitch shooter where a few bullets to the foot gets the kill like CoD? I like Halo because when I get shot in the back I have a chance to turn around and still come out on top.

It used to be something like that, but after a number of patches it takes quite a bit to kill someone now; suffice to say it was never a ‘run n’ gun’ type of game; go watch some videos of even the close quarters to mid range gameplay, there are moments where does feel a bit run n’ gun-ish but thats usually because of the -Yoink- shotguns.

> If using a precision weapon:
> <mark>Point gun in general direction of bad guy</mark>
> <mark>Fire quickly</mark>
> <mark>Run out of ammo</mark>
> <mark>Die</mark>
> <mark>You are now 5-2! Enjoy.</mark>
> <mark>If using an automatic weapon:</mark>
> <mark>You are using the Assault Rifle</mark>
> <mark>Point gun at bad guy’s chest</mark>
> <mark>Shoot, shoot, shoot!</mark>
> <mark>If the bad guy is 3+ meters away, die</mark>
> <mark>If the bad guy is less than 3 meters away, run out of ammo</mark>
> <mark>Die</mark>
> You are now 3-2! Enjoy.

you see stuff like this doesn’t happen in BF3 because weapons aren’t anywhere near as accurate as they are in Halo and they have ridiculous recoil. Again, im not sating halo needs this, but I can easily see adding recoil to the arguably OP DMR could solve balancing issues.

I prefer the arcade like style of Halo. Jumping around like an idiot and shooting people in the face in the most unrealistic ways imaginable. BF3 doesn’t sound like it would interest me in any way.

> I prefer the arcade like style of Halo. Jumping around like an idiot and shooting people in the face in the most unrealistic ways imaginable. BF3 doesn’t sound like it would interest me in any way.

BF3 is a much larger game, with a greater focus on vehicle play and a better balance between infantry and vehicle play.
Better than H4, I mean.
Oh, and the classes+loadouts work much, MUCH better in Battlefield games.

If Bad Company 2 still had a good-sized population, I would suggest that.

> > I prefer the arcade like style of Halo. Jumping around like an idiot and shooting people in the face in the most unrealistic ways imaginable. BF3 doesn’t sound like it would interest me in any way.
>
> BF3 is a much larger game, with a greater focus on vehicle play and a better balance between infantry and vehicle play.
> Better than H4, I mean.
> Oh, and the classes+loadouts work much, MUCH better in Battlefield games.
>
> If Bad Company 2 still had a good-sized population, I would suggest that.

You see, this is all your opinion. I don’t like those types of games which is why I prefer Halo. Like I said, I love the small arcade type game. Goldeneye FTMFW!

> Also here’s another question, if you can how would you change The Gun-play of Halo; Do you think you know a solution to make automatics more skill required to use? Or something of that sort.

No, make them more viable would probably be the thing to do. Our notion of “required skill” is pretty much a joke because the basis of it is that the tighter the reticle the better you need to be to use the gun. True, in the dimmest possible interpretation of what gameplay is, but that ignores just about every other factor that effects how well you do in game besides accuracy. How difficult a gun is to use effectively is a better indicator of skill because it’s a more wholistic measure and by that automatics presently take more skill than just about any other weapon in the game (besides plasma pistols without the overcharge.) Try hopping into Halo Reach (worst case for automatics) and make the plasma repeater your TOD. You can’t without dropping your K/D spread signficantly because in order to make that weapon work in light of it’s other deficiencies you need to supply so much more to the equation. The DMR, on the other hand, is baby’s-first rifle because with it’s power and range you don’t need to do a whole lot to be a successful player. Just take the high ground and point at whatever you want dead.

Anyway, in order to improve gunplay in Halo what you need to do is remove these discepancies between weapons and weapon categories. Every weapon should work, every weapon should work just about as well, but each should be put to different uses so that the key to gameplay is using the tools at your disposal in the most strategic/proficient way possible (without there being a handicap to make one particular strategy the most profitable.)

> > Also here’s another question, if you can how would you change The Gun-play of Halo; Do you think you know a solution to make automatics more skill required to use? Or something of that sort.
>
> No, make them more viable would probably be the thing to do. Our notion of “required skill” is pretty much a joke because the basis of it is that the tighter the reticle the better you need to be to use the gun. True, in the dimmest possible interpretation of what gameplay is, but that ignores just about every other factor that effects how well you do in game besides accuracy. How difficult a gun is to use effectively is a better indicator of skill because it’s a more wholistic measure and by that automatics presently take more skill than just about any other weapon in the game (besides plasma pistols without the overcharge.) Try hopping into Halo Reach (worst case for automatics) and make the plasma repeater your TOD. You can’t without dropping your K/D spread signficantly because in order to make that weapon work in light of it’s other deficiencies you need to supply so much more to the equation. The DMR, on the other hand, is baby’s-first rifle because with it’s power and range you don’t need to do a whole lot to be a successful player. Just take the high ground and point at whatever you want dead.
>
> Anyway, in order to improve gunplay in Halo what you need to do is remove these discepancies between weapons and weapon categories. Every weapon should work, every weapon should work just about as well, but each should be put to different uses so that the key to gameplay is using the tools at your disposal in the most strategic/proficient way possible (without there being a handicap to make one particular strategy the most profitable.)

I agree, but with Halo 5 coming sooner or later, the possible return of the SMG+Dual wield may return. How then do we solve this problem, make these weapons require more skill or simply ignore them and label them ‘noobish’.

> Halo Gunplay

Used to be about out-strafing, out-shooting, out-maneuvering your opponent in pretty close-quarters spaces. Though moving has been nerfed and weapons are very easy to aim, it doesn’t really mean much now.

It also sometimes extended to medium sized maps with vehicle play incorporated.

It’s never been full-fledged BTB like Battlefield is. CoD is a twitch shooter, BF3 is a tactical one, Halo has always been in the middle.

> How to make automatics more skillful?

The Storm Rifle should be made vastly more accurate and the magnetism on it removed.

This would allow it to be used at long range, but you would have to be good at leading your shots.

Sort of an alternative to what the Sentinel Beam used to be. This is actually how the Plasma Rifle used to be in Halo CE, and no one complained about it then. You could cross map with the Plasma Rifle by firing a few shots at a time, but it was harder to pull off the farther the range.

As for the AR, it’-Yoink!--scan. I doubt anything is going to make it balanced and skillful at the same time.