The Great Caper of Halo 5

little more the one year and a half, 3 threads all based around the same issue… and continued confusion as to why it is. Halo 5 is near to a monumental leap. Halo 5 will cross the benchmark of 100GB in size! Halo 5 is 97.7GB as of now.

To give some perspective, my games are ordered by size, Halo 5 is first at 97.7GB, the next? MCC at 62.5GB (I think its .5?). more than 30GB larger. Titanfall 2 is next at 61.2GB and then Destiny at 45GB. For starters, Ill give MCC a break as it has 4 games plus H2A multiplayer and forge. Titanfall 2 though… why so big? But I digress.

Halo 5’s large size as baffled me ever since it went higher than 50GB, I made past thread when it hit 70GB, then 90GB. But still the answer invades me, something I wish 343 would just finally spill the beans on and tell us the truth… Why is Halo 5 so big? Why does Halo 5 take up almost a 10th of a terabyte? Could it be the large amount of armors? the models and textures? what about the sound files from all of the weapons? Forge? The coding of the game? (I think this was ruled out as being the main reason earlier).

I think we deserve to know seeing as the game can easily cause problems with storage, I had to go buy and hard-drive because it was taking up so much space, And with things like split screen coming back (Yay!) if Halo 5 is nearly 100GB who knows what Halo 6 will be.

Do you guys find this an actual problem? Do you think 343 should at least give us some reasoning as to why its so large?

NOTE: I am not saying 343 should stop adding content to their games or make them smaller in scale, but I mean 97.7GB? come on…

> 2535429756019039;1:
> little more the one year and a half, 3 threads all based around the same issue… and continued confusion as to why it is. Halo 5 is near to a monumental leap. Halo 5 will cross the benchmark of 100GB in size! Halo 5 is 97.7GB as of now.
>
> To give some perspective, my games are ordered by size, Halo 5 is first at 97.7GB, the next? MCC at 62.5GB (I think its .5?). more than 30GB larger. Titanfall 2 is next at 61.2GB and then Destiny at 45GB. For starters, Ill give MCC a break as it has 4 games plus H2A multiplayer and forge. Titanfall 2 though… why so big? But I digress.
>
> Halo 5’s large size as baffled me ever since it went higher than 50GB, I made past thread when it hit 70GB, then 90GB. But still the answer invades me, something I wish 343 would just finally spill the beans on and tell us the truth… Why is Halo 5 so big? Why does Halo 5 take up almost a 10th of a terabyte? Could it be the large amount of armors? the models and textures? what about the sound files from all of the weapons? Forge? The coding of the game? (I think this was ruled out as being the main reason earlier).
>
> I think we deserve to know seeing as the game can easily cause problems with storage, I had to go buy and hard-drive because it was taking up so much space, And with things like split screen coming back (Yay!) if Halo 5 is nearly 100GB who knows what Halo 6 will be.
>
> Do you guys find this an actual problem? Do you think 343 should at least give us some reasoning as to why its so large?
>
> NOTE: I am not saying 343 should stop adding content to their games or make them smaller in scale, but I mean 97.7GB? come on…

I think the main thing is data compression.
Here, I’ll tell you what I mean:
I have this model of a Halo: Reach Armor Ability Module that I made for 3D printing. Uncompressed, it takes up 1.50 Megabytes of data. Once I compress it, it takes up 558 Kilobytes (0.56 Megabytes) of data. That’s roughly 1/3 of my hard drive space taken up. Sooo…It is reasonable to say that if Halo 5 were compressed, it could probably take up half the size. I’m no computer programmer, but I’d imagine they would leave some files uncompressed for fast and flawless performance of the game.

I think it’s safe to say “Case closed” :slight_smile:

> 2535460549344986;2:
> > 2535429756019039;1:
> > little more the one year and a half, 3 threads all based around the same issue… and continued confusion as to why it is. Halo 5 is near to a monumental leap. Halo 5 will cross the benchmark of 100GB in size! Halo 5 is 97.7GB as of now.
> >
> > To give some perspective, my games are ordered by size, Halo 5 is first at 97.7GB, the next? MCC at 62.5GB (I think its .5?). more than 30GB larger. Titanfall 2 is next at 61.2GB and then Destiny at 45GB. For starters, Ill give MCC a break as it has 4 games plus H2A multiplayer and forge. Titanfall 2 though… why so big? But I digress.
> >
> > Halo 5’s large size as baffled me ever since it went higher than 50GB, I made past thread when it hit 70GB, then 90GB. But still the answer invades me, something I wish 343 would just finally spill the beans on and tell us the truth… Why is Halo 5 so big? Why does Halo 5 take up almost a 10th of a terabyte? Could it be the large amount of armors? the models and textures? what about the sound files from all of the weapons? Forge? The coding of the game? (I think this was ruled out as being the main reason earlier).
> >
> > I think we deserve to know seeing as the game can easily cause problems with storage, I had to go buy and hard-drive because it was taking up so much space, And with things like split screen coming back (Yay!) if Halo 5 is nearly 100GB who knows what Halo 6 will be.
> >
> > Do you guys find this an actual problem? Do you think 343 should at least give us some reasoning as to why its so large?
> >
> > NOTE: I am not saying 343 should stop adding content to their games or make them smaller in scale, but I mean 97.7GB? come on…
>
> I think the main thing is data compression.
> Here, I’ll tell you what I mean:
> I have this model of a Halo: Reach Armor Ability Module that I made for 3D printing. Uncompressed, it takes up 1.50 Megabytes of data. Once I compress it, it takes up 558 Kilobytes (0.56 Megabytes) of data. That’s roughly 1/3 of my hard drive space taken up. Sooo…It is reasonable to say that if Halo 5 were compressed, it could probably take up half the size. I’m no computer programmer, but I’d imagine they would leave some files uncompressed for fast and flawless performance of the game.
>
> I think it’s safe to say “Case closed” :slight_smile:

That is true, and does bring much insight, but why so big when compared to other games that have more “stuff” then? I would assume they may have some uncompressed files as well. No?

Halo 5’s file size has always bugged me. Why? Because it’s -Yoinking!- huge. Making the file size so gargantuan doesn’t attract players, but it does repel players who juggled multiple Triple-A games at once. If I want to play Halo 5, I’m making a conscious decision that it will take up a full 5th of my hard drive space, which is unacceptable. It does nothing to entice players, but it will push players away, players who can find several games that can fill up that file space. I can play ESO and three Xbox 360 titles in the same space Halo 5 fills up. Why should I play the one game (halo 5) when I can play at least four games in the same amount of hard drive space?

Halo in the future needs to compress or limit its file size. Because as it stands, it does nothing to help it, but it’s another nail in Halo’s coffin.

> 2533274849069111;4:
> Halo 5’s file size has always bugged me. Why? Because it’s -Yoinking!- huge. Making the file size so gargantuan doesn’t attract players, but it does repel players who juggled multiple Triple-A games at once. If I want to play Halo 5, I’m making a conscious decision that it will take up a full 5th of my hard drive space, which is unacceptable. It does nothing to entice players, but it will push players away, players who can find several games that can fill up that file space. I can play ESO and three Xbox 360 titles in the same space Halo 5 fills up. Why should I play the one game (halo 5) when I can play at least four games in the same amount of hard drive space?
>
> Halo in the future needs to compress or limit its file size. Because as it stands, it does nothing to help it, but it’s another nail in Halo’s coffin.

agreed, but what I would really like to know is why? I really think 343 should explain why it is as large as it is, or try to break the size down into parts like coding, models, textures, forge, etc.