The Graphics, (and my thoughts)

Hey’all.

I just want to applaud 343 on the graphics. Some scenes that are shown, especially of Master Chief, are so damnably hot I shudder and sweat. Especially that image of him in the dark background, shooting his BR and looking epic. I am so impressed with the lighting system, and the character models looks so good I’m getting confused with CGI. No joke, the character models are so amazing. And in the very likely chance that Armour Permutations are in, I can’t WAIT to mix and match! Way to go 343, I’m so pumped.

There are a few things that I’m not too sure of at the moment. The design of the BR (I reckon) isn’t that appealing to me, and is looking almost modern. I don’t know, I think it’s the scope mainly. The square shape reminds me too much of other games. I’ve always liked and adhered to Halo’s good old round scope, (except for the sniper of course, but that’s well, the sniper).

Also, the scoring system. From what we’ve seen, its been radically overhauled. Now I don’t know if that’s the official scoring system, or just a specific gametype, but I’m really pleading to 343 to keep it as the same (if it has been changed). I’m not against change, but I’ve always loved Halo’s wonderfully simple point system. One kill, one point. Done and finished.

The ‘perks’. I know they’re not even called that, and I know we haven’t even seen them in action yet. I’m actually looking forward to how 343 is implementing this new system. If it turns out that you can pick your own perks and each person can have a different perk depending on their play style, it is essential that they aren’t massively unbalanced. I pray you don’t get faster reloads or a stronger shield or moon boots. They need to be minuscule, not game-altering but at the same time helpful. From what I’ve seen so far, I think that having perhaps an extra grenade is at the right level. Perhaps a slightly longer sprint? A further zoom? Longer thrust in your pack?

I think that should be all I can remember for now. But 343 is showing some epic stuff, and I’m getting pretty excited. I had ME3 pre-ordered, and now I don’t even want to think about it anymore, let alone play it.

List your thoughts and opinions below! And maybe some ideas for ‘perks’ yourself?

> Hey’all.
>
> I just want to applaud 343 on the graphics. Some scenes that are shown, especially of Master Chief, are so damnably hot I shudder and sweat. Especially that image of him in the dark background, shooting his BR and looking epic. I am so impressed with the lighting system, and the character models looks so good I’m getting confused with CGI. No joke, the character models are so amazing. And in the very likely chance that Armour Permutations are in, I can’t WAIT to mix and match! Way to go 343, I’m so pumped.
>
> There are a few things that I’m not too sure of at the moment. The design of the BR (I reckon) isn’t that appealing to me, and is looking almost modern. I don’t know, I think it’s the scope mainly. The square shape reminds me too much of other games. I’ve always liked and adhered to Halo’s good old round scope, (except for the sniper of course, but that’s well, the sniper).
>
> Also, the scoring system. From what we’ve seen, its been radically overhauled. Now I don’t know if that’s the official scoring system, or just a specific gametype, but I’m really pleading to 343 to keep it as the same (if it has been changed). I’m not against change, but I’ve always loved Halo’s wonderfully simple point system. One kill, one point. Done and finished.
>
> The ‘perks’. I know they’re not even called that, and I know we haven’t even seen them in action yet. I’m actually looking forward to how 343 is implementing this new system. If it turns out that you can pick your own perks and each person can have a different perk depending on their play style, it is essential that they aren’t massively unbalanced. I pray you don’t get faster reloads or a stronger shield or moon boots. They need to be minuscule, not game-altering but at the same time helpful. From what I’ve seen so far, I think that having perhaps an extra grenade is at the right level. Perhaps a slightly longer sprint? A further zoom? Longer thrust in your pack?
>
> I think that should be all I can remember for now. But 343 is showing some epic stuff, and I’m getting pretty excited. I had ME3 pre-ordered, and now I don’t even want to think about it anymore, let alone play it.
>
> List your thoughts and opinions below! And maybe some ideas for ‘perks’ yourself?

The graphics are amazing, I came several times when I first saw them.

All immaturity aside, they do look great, though the only part I have to complain about is the shade of blue used for the BR’s screen and scope. They should be a much darker shade, closer to what we’ve seen in past Halo games on the AR’s screen.

The black rocks behind him and the ground beneath him look sooo real; it’s like RAGE graphics on better-graphic-steroids.

Especially that scene where he backsmacks the dude in the spine. Oh wow, I would’ve just stopped before I hit the melee and just admired the shininess.

I will actually say the the old scope looks like every other scope in every game and looks more modern (Its round) Like the real world. The square take on it is actually looks more sleek and looks more futuristic with it being set 2500 it should

Well the Multi-player that was shown looked better than Reach even at this stage, but what they showed of the Single-player is a big leap forward from Reach or 3. The big question is can they maintain a decent frame-rate with graphics that good?

I have to somewhat agree with you on that. It wasn’t butter smooth during the gameplay sections that were shown, but I’m certain that was just, how do you explain it? Bad recording? I’m sure that when we get shown some proper gameplay that lasts beyond 3 seconds we’ll finally see, but I guess it would be like Reach, perhaps better if they’ve been trying to improve.

> I will actually say the the old scope looks like every other scope in every game and looks more modern (Its round) Like the real world. The square take on it is actually looks more sleek and looks more futuristic with it being set 2500 it should

It’s interesting that you say that, because my reaction was that the decision made it look too ridiculous.

One of the things that Bungie strove for was a sense of weight with their artistic designs. The Chief is big and heavy, and we’ve all known that for a long time. In the first, game he basically looked like a man had strapped on a tank (specifically, a Batman-style Tumbler, with its many angles and protrusions), and that made sense. Super Space soldier cyborgs should look like walking tanks.

What they did with the weaponry designs though, in my view, was always brilliant and likely brilliantly owed to Robt McLees. Being a gun enthusiast, he wanted them to be believable. It’s been like 150 years since the rifle was invented, and not much has really changed. They are all essentially grooved tubes in which a controlled explosion happens creating a ballistic weapon. The guns in Halo were designed to look like sophisticated, precise, reliable pieces of equipment. We see this in their simplicity. Simple is always better in military terms. A ballistic weapon is a simple construction. It has a few metal pins holding together some other metal bits and springs. A gun enthusiast could look at a Battle Rifle and know exactly what it was supposed to be. The scope on top was traditional because that was recognizable, and made the most sense. You’re going to be under fire with this thing. You don’t want a sensitive electronic component that too much jostling or rough impact could screw up, miss-align, or even break. You want to rely on the old mark 1 eyeball.

Which is something they refer to in the extended fiction. What makes Chief such a monster soldier isn’t all of his amazing high-tech equipment. It’s his willingness to utilize the simplest, oftentimes most brutal solution in which the fewest number of factors can fail. The Spartans even had a term for when things didn’t proceed exactly as they had predicted in their very simple plans.

The effort at making it more “detailed” actually just adds extraneous “sci-fi” pieces that I’m not personally a fan of. We can see the M6 sidearm on his leg, and there’s no question about what it is or that it looks great. The BR, on the other hand, looks bizarre. It looks like something out of Borderlands that Gearbox forgot to color in. Bring back the round scope. Whatever that weird secondary breach is halfway up the rifle? Dump that. What is it even there for? I don’t mind the new look of the railing. In fact, it looks a little beefier, and I like that. It’s slightly more industrial. It looks like a Nerf gun, actually, and that’s a terrible thing to have a comparison made to for Halo as a franchise. But the weapon looks a ton more complicated, which I have a hard time swallowing because it deviates from the established flavor of the franchise. And not just in the original games - the extended fiction, much of it now managed by 343i itself, reinforces this ideology all the time. The human military belief is “simple is better.” Extra pointless bits make it seem like it’s trying to be more “futuristic.” It was more interesting when it was simpler as, once again, that makes it more recognizable and, by extension, believable.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but Halo was mysterious and wondrous because of how much familiarity there was in it. Guns were still guns. Marines were still marines. Jeeps still jeeps. So on and so forth. This gave your brain a break and let you marvel at everything else amazing around you the entire time. The Alien weaponry was a different story, but even then, it’s clear how they operate. There’s a hot bit in the middle that superheats something, and then those glowy teeth bits on the front accelerate the superheated whatever it is out the front toward the bad guy. The Needler sucks needles out of the top and spits them in a direction. Some things were bizarre and fantastic, but it wasn’t pseudo-science magic.

I mean, my disagreement with the artistic direction doesn’t mean it’s bad or even wrong, and I know that. It’s just one of the little things that raises alarm bells in my brain. There are a lot of diehards that are ready to hate this thing, be they Call of Duty fans or otherwise. I find myself drawn to their viewpoint by little things like these decisions which seem to fly in the face of design methodology so well-documented, even lay people are familiar with it. This is a truly bizarre scenario to exist in for me.

Good post, and I happen to agree with you there.

I’m not sure if its the overall design itself, or simply because it’s taken such a huge leap from the traditional BR, if not the traditional Halo style of weaponry. I find it a bit too similar to a modern, everyday gun, and I think that’s what bothers me the most. It might look all technological and sleek, but I simply think it bears too much resemblance to everyday weaponry. I know the usual Halo guns might look quite similar to some guns nowadays, but I felt they always had their own unique taste. I think I just need to see more to familiarise myself with it, and view it in action or even use it myself (wink wink nudge nudge 343 :wink: ). Or maybe it’s simply the scope. I’m not keen on that square scope.

Dunno. We’ll have to wait and see. Gotta go now, so my reply might seem a bit cut off, haha.

I think the Graphics are great. It looks like they took the Halo 3 Engine and did a massive Overhaul, which is kinda what Frankie said they did. As long as it doesn’t have the Film Grain effect that Reach had, I’ll be happy. Even if it does, whatever, it’s still Halo.

As far as the BR is concerned, I think it looks great as well, They had to change the look and design anyways so that it is their own. As long as it feels like a BR, I’ll be happy. I can’t wait to try it out…

The details are just awesome. Chief actually looks like a cybernetic-space-badass-marine now!!!

They really are pushing the 360 there. It looks spine-tinglingly awesome, it should really exaggerate the beauty of Halo games even more.

> > I will actually say the the old scope looks like every other scope in every game and looks more modern (Its round) Like the real world. The square take on it is actually looks more sleek and looks more futuristic with it being set 2500 it should
>
> It’s interesting that you say that, because my reaction was that the decision made it look too ridiculous.
>
> One of the things that Bungie strove for was a sense of weight with their artistic designs. The Chief is big and heavy, and we’ve all known that for a long time. In the first, game he basically looked like a man had strapped on a tank (specifically, a Batman-style Tumbler, with its many angles and protrusions), and that made sense. Super Space soldier cyborgs should look like walking tanks.
>
> What they did with the weaponry designs though, in my view, was always brilliant and likely brilliantly owed to Robt McLees. Being a gun enthusiast, he wanted them to be believable. It’s been like 150 years since the rifle was invented, and not much has really changed. They are all essentially grooved tubes in which a controlled explosion happens creating a ballistic weapon. The guns in Halo were designed to look like sophisticated, precise, reliable pieces of equipment. We see this in their simplicity. Simple is always better in military terms. A ballistic weapon is a simple construction. It has a few metal pins holding together some other metal bits and springs. A gun enthusiast could look at a Battle Rifle and know exactly what it was supposed to be. The scope on top was traditional because that was recognizable, and made the most sense. You’re going to be under fire with this thing. You don’t want a sensitive electronic component that too much jostling or rough impact could screw up, miss-align, or even break. You want to rely on the old mark 1 eyeball.
>
> Which is something they refer to in the extended fiction. What makes Chief such a monster soldier isn’t all of his amazing high-tech equipment. It’s his willingness to utilize the simplest, oftentimes most brutal solution in which the fewest number of factors can fail. The Spartans even had a term for when things didn’t proceed exactly as they had predicted in their very simple plans.
>
> The effort at making it more “detailed” actually just adds extraneous “sci-fi” pieces that I’m not personally a fan of. We can see the M6 sidearm on his leg, and there’s no question about what it is or that it looks great. The BR, on the other hand, looks bizarre. It looks like something out of Borderlands that Gearbox forgot to color in. Bring back the round scope. Whatever that weird secondary breach is halfway up the rifle? Dump that. What is it even there for? I don’t mind the new look of the railing. In fact, it looks a little beefier, and I like that. It’s slightly more industrial. It looks like a Nerf gun, actually, and that’s a terrible thing to have a comparison made to for Halo as a franchise. But the weapon looks a ton more complicated, which I have a hard time swallowing because it deviates from the established flavor of the franchise. And not just in the original games - the extended fiction, much of it now managed by 343i itself, reinforces this ideology all the time. The human military belief is “simple is better.” Extra pointless bits make it seem like it’s trying to be more “futuristic.” It was more interesting when it was simpler as, once again, that makes it more recognizable and, by extension, believable.
>
> This is going to sound ridiculous, but Halo was mysterious and wondrous because of how much familiarity there was in it. Guns were still guns. Marines were still marines. Jeeps still jeeps. So on and so forth. This gave your brain a break and let you marvel at everything else amazing around you the entire time. The Alien weaponry was a different story, but even then, it’s clear how they operate. There’s a hot bit in the middle that superheats something, and then those glowy teeth bits on the front accelerate the superheated whatever it is out the front toward the bad guy. The Needler sucks needles out of the top and spits them in a direction. Some things were bizarre and fantastic, but it wasn’t pseudo-science magic.
>
> I mean, my disagreement with the artistic direction doesn’t mean it’s bad or even wrong, and I know that. It’s just one of the little things that raises alarm bells in my brain. There are a lot of diehards that are ready to hate this thing, be they Call of Duty fans or otherwise. I find myself drawn to their viewpoint by little things like these decisions which seem to fly in the face of design methodology so well-documented, even lay people are familiar with it. This is a truly bizarre scenario to exist in for me.

wow i have to admit that was the most thought out response ive ever read. but now you say that i have my own opinions.

yes everything that you said there is a valid point and some of it i agree with, like the scope yes it looks weird but then again i suppose we are all just used to how it looks in other games.

the only thing i want back in the weapon is that it feels the same way when you use it. and that when you press the right stick in it is still the same.

basically i like the new look yes its complicated but i bet when we see some of the new weapons it wont look as complicated then. it looks like it was made it the year 2500 which is good as halo is a futuristic game.

but i suppose this is all just my opinion.

I would love to see the BR in action. Probably my main cause of worry is because we all barely know how it functions, and with it looking so drastically different, I’m simply thinking that it’s a different a weapon. I can’t help it. I’m too used to the old BR, haha.

Guys! -Yoink- the graphics, have you seen the lightening?! It’s… AMAZING! How it reflects and illuminates, 343i I love you:3

Actualy to me the graphics looked so shiny and the spartan modles looked a bit cartoonish. I just hope its like this because its not the final version yet

> Hey’all.
>
> I just want to applaud 343 on the graphics. Some scenes that are shown, especially of Master Chief, are so damnably hot I shudder and sweat. Especially that image of him in the dark background, shooting his BR and looking epic. I am so impressed with the lighting system, and the character models looks so good I’m getting confused with CGI. No joke, the character models are so amazing. And in the very likely chance that Armour Permutations are in, I can’t WAIT to mix and match! Way to go 343, I’m so pumped.
>
> There are a few things that I’m not too sure of at the moment. The design of the BR (I reckon) isn’t that appealing to me, and is looking almost modern. I don’t know, I think it’s the scope mainly. The square shape reminds me too much of other games. I’ve always liked and adhered to Halo’s good old round scope, (except for the sniper of course, but that’s well, the sniper).
>
> Also, the scoring system. From what we’ve seen, its been radically overhauled. Now I don’t know if that’s the official scoring system, or just a specific gametype, but I’m really pleading to 343 to keep it as the same (if it has been changed). I’m not against change, but I’ve always loved Halo’s wonderfully simple point system. One kill, one point. Done and finished.
>
> The ‘perks’. I know they’re not even called that, and I know we haven’t even seen them in action yet. I’m actually looking forward to how 343 is implementing this new system. If it turns out that you can pick your own perks and each person can have a different perk depending on their play style, it is essential that they aren’t massively unbalanced. I pray you don’t get faster reloads or a stronger shield or moon boots. They need to be minuscule, not game-altering but at the same time helpful. From what I’ve seen so far, I think that having perhaps an extra grenade is at the right level. Perhaps a slightly longer sprint? A further zoom? Longer thrust in your pack?
>
> I think that should be all I can remember for now. But 343 is showing some epic stuff, and I’m getting pretty excited. I had ME3 pre-ordered, and now I don’t even want to think about it anymore, let alone play it.
>
> List your thoughts and opinions below! And maybe some ideas for ‘perks’ yourself?

I’ve Been playing Halo since… Well since there was Halo. I think it looks Phenomenal so far. I hope 343 keeps at it. I loved all of the games in there series, yeah Reach was different, But that’s what made it Unique and… well… Halo. I’m glad they’re changing things up and giving us a new Halo experience.

As long as the Core is Halo I’ll support them and this game to the Bank. I embraced the Change because I don’t want the Experience to get Stale (which it seems alot of the community does).

Reach was a nice change of pace from Halo 3, and Honestly, I’m not the best Online player in the world but I still do OK most of the time, and my Clan loves Halo as well. We’re going to keep the Tradition going by Posting as much News and Info on our website that we can, and by being there Release Day, to literally Play the -Yoink- out of this Amazing Masterpiece of Gaming Beauty.

> Well the Multi-player that was shown looked better than Reach even at this stage, but what they showed of the Single-player is a big leap forward from Reach or 3. The big question is can they maintain a decent frame-rate with graphics that good?

30 fps is confirmed

Wow, so much talking about -THE LOOK- of the new BR makes me realize the level of commitment/love people have for this game. I dig it, ‘cause I’m a Halo freak myself.
Personally, I like the new squared scope, I like the old round scope as well; to me, playing any Halo title is playing just ONE TITLE (even when I read a novel: it’s ONE story, no matter what book it is), given the chance to further acknowledge this mind-capturing, luring masterpiece story.
I think the perfect solution is to be able to modify it in The Armory (if it’s gonna be called like that on Halo 4); you like the round scope?, select it in the Armory. You like the new squared scope? place it via The Armory. Damn! “I want no bloody thing on top of my BR!”, do that.
About the graphics: I remember watching a video interview with Frank O’ Connor, and him saying Halo 4 would have it’s own (new) graphics engine; well, it shows. The few seconds of gameplay we’ve been able to see so far are damn pretty. I always wondered why Halo didn’t have the BEST graphics seen on a FPS, it didn’t matter THAT much, because the gameplay has always been superb. But I don’t know…it just tickles my head: Microsoft surely has the money to pull it off (best graphics of all FPS’s), so why don’t do it? You have millions of copies sold for sure already.
I say go ahead and make killer graphics, wipe out the competition like the Chief taking out an unarmed Grunt just by farting on his face, because Halo is the king!

I can’t wait to lay my filthy fingers on this game at december? 2012. I have the feeling this game is going to simply kick -Yoink-!

The graphics were absolutely beautiful, I’m very excited for this game as well as the graphics. While watching that first look video they really showed off the sound of the game and it just sounds sooooo good. The lighting system was also phenomenal. Its nice to see Halo pushing the bar higher and higher, isn’t that what we expect from a halo game? Just when we think things can’t get any better, Halo gets better in SOME aspects. Personally Halo 1-3 gave me that feel, not so much from ODST and reach gameplay wise.

Personally, I really like the square design of the BR scope, i think it looks really cool. If they switched it back to a round scope I would be bummed since im really happy with it’s current design, but either way, its the BR, im happy regardless.