The good parts of the Reach campaign

While I realise the Reach campaign is only a shadow of what it could have been, I also think it to be the best Campaign I’ve played, and there are several aspects I’d like to be taken over into future Halo games. I also think that, with people busy pointing out the flaws, Reach doesn’t get any credit for what it did right.

Firstly, Tip of the Spear. Great mission. Lots of vehicle sections, the mounting severity of the attack is handled very well, the Frigates add a huge sense of scale and the closing cutscene is one of the best endings to a mission in Halo.

Lone Wolf was another awesome mission. First time a video game has ever made me feel emotional, the sad music and the good of the level made it a breathtaking finale. The ending cutscene, showing Reach being rejuvenated bu future humans, was the perfect way to close.

The short story arcs were another welcome addition, as was the way they changed the pace of the Campaign. TotS and LNoS gave a real sense of being in a war, both had missions had great scale, and the surprise Covenant fleet swarming in after Jorge sacrifices himself practically made my jaw drop. Then in Exodus and NA you switch to experience the human side of the war, seeing the civilians fleeing, the UNSC city defences overwhelmed, the city crumbling around you. While the lack of an overarching story was disappointing, the individual sections were amazing.

Anybody got anything else positive to say about the Reach campaign?

> While I realise the Reach campaign is only a shadow of what it could have been, I also think it to be the best Campaign I’ve played,

A very nice way of putting it. By no means was Reach a bad campaign but the scale was missed at a few spots. I honestly believe this is due to disc space more than anything. Either by making a multi-disc game or on the next-gen we’ll honestly get the full out scope we can imagine for Halo.

As for the ending, I was one who supported a few forums who asked for such an ending. Sure it too could have played out differently, but regardless, I was all too happy to die as a means to conclude the story of a soldier…na a living weapon.

Now to play a prequel to Reach starring 6 and his exploits as a LW… DLC?

I just couldn’t appreciate how it smacked established canon in the face.

I must admit that I do like to assasinate the General aboard the Corvette with a couple of organized friends.

> > While I realise the Reach campaign is only a shadow of what it could have been, I also think it to be the best Campaign I’ve played,
>
> A very nice way of putting it. By no means was Reach a bad campaign but the scale was missed at a few spots. I honestly believe this is due to disc space more than anything. Either by making a multi-disc game or on the next-gen we’ll honestly get the full out scope we can imagine for Halo.
>
> As for the ending, I was one who supported a few forums who asked for such an ending. Sure it too could have played out differently, but regardless, I was all too happy to die as a means to conclude the story of a soldier…na a living weapon.
>
> Now to play a prequel to Reach starring 6 and his exploits as a LW… DLC?

Well, we can dream.
I’m hoping 343 release a Campaign short. Something like how they would have started the Reach campaign if they’d been the devs, or one of Six’s previous missions. Nothing canon, just a few minutes of single-player awesomeness to give us an idea of what they can do.

Lone wolf was really great, though I missed some vehicles and survivors (just to spice up things).
The Space mission, both the fights and the boarding of the cruiser was my favourite though, Fast paced action, beach assault, sneaky combat in the ship, firefight like defence against the covenants. A great mix imo :slight_smile:

The other ones were pretty bland though, the sniper map was by far the worst, with sword base, just 2 long corridors (CoD). New Alexandria was also pretty empty.
Tip of the Spear was good, but I missed the battles shown at E3 (look at that video, epic!!). Tip of the spear had the most potential of the other campaign maps, but was also to small, narrow and not enough action ^^

Long Night Of Solace and Lone Wolf.

LNoS I liked, because of the Sabre fighting mainly. I’ve always wanted to be able to fly a ship in space, with Halo, and just run around and blow stuff up. That, is a lot of fun. That, and the mission was overall a good mission. Jorge’s ending there on that level was the only one that actually had any emotion to it, I think, comparing to the rest.
Big guy always was sentimental.

Lone Wolf, I think everyone can agree on as being a favorite part. I remembered playing though the game, and just going… ‘What?! There’s more?’ after the credits and such. I was honestly expecting a bit more out of the level… make it feel like your actually doing something, for a while, before a bunch of Generals with Concussion Rifles and Swords come and kill you. If your on Legendary, you take a few shots, and your dead. I think I lasted a whole two minutes, maybe, by myself when I finished on Legendary. But it made you feel epic nevertheless. The music, the way he goes down… Just Heroic. The only other game that did as well as Reach did, ending the game with the Hero dying, was Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. And they ended similarly, going down until you couldn’t any more. Honestly, I wish more games would do that. Get you really attached to the character, or have them play as ‘you’, and then make their end very epic.

Now, unlike most fans, I could’ve cared less that they changed canon. Even if story is the main reason why I love Halo, the Pillar of Autumn was great. I loved that you, the player, was in charge of taking care of Cortana and delivering it to Keyes. It’s just pure brilliance making us, the fans, (especially those who’ve been there since Halo 1) be a part of the story, and I’m glad they sacrificed the book’s story for the games (even if it wasn’t top notch).

I’ve heard some people say that The Reach Campaign wasn’t good simply because the master chief only made 1 appearance. (If you didn’t know the Master Mhief is in the game, its an easter egg in a cutscene in “The Pillar of Autumn”) I never really cared about them saying the game was bad for that reason, but once you have enjoyed the game for what it is, you start to think if it was played from the Master Chief’s point of view. Like in the book “The Fall of Reach” To be honest, Noble Team is pretty cool, but I would’ve prefered to have played as the Master Chief. And the Master Chief was the head of his own squad during reach, it would’ve been cool to command your own squad.

LNOS but still lacked length.

PoA felt like the end was near, not the end.

And the cut scenes… That’s all. :stuck_out_tongue:

The best parts of Reach were all before Jorge died.

Think about it: Almost all of Noble team was together up until that point, and you had real character development up to that point. Each character bounced off the other, and it all lead to the feeling that this was a real Spartan team. Jorge and Emile obviously don’t share the same mindset. Kat and Carter are in a bit of a co-leadership, with Carter trying to play it by the books while Kat always has an alternative solution…But Carter is clearly in charge.

The confrontation with Halsey was exemplary in a storytelling sense. Jorge, clearly friendly with Halsey, does most of the talking. Kat is confronted by someone who is clearly her technological superior, and she’s clearly at odds with Halsey from the start. While Halsey feels she’s always had control of her Spartans, Carter does not. Her and Carter are at very polar opposites at this point…“Are you a puppet or a Spartan?”…“Just some suggested reading ma’m”…This moment developed each of the characters, and the unit as a whole. It was brilliant…

Each cutscene up to the last one with Jorge in it had real meaning. Each extrapolated on the characters and who they were in relation to each other.

But the second Jorge gets killed off, the team as a unit hardly has any internal dialog. The closest you get is when Kat says “Your first glassing?..Mine too.”…And then she gets killed about 30 seconds later.

All the characters develop wonderfully until the team falls apart. You start doing missions on your own, and you never really hear from the rest of the characters again. Then they slowly start to die off before you can even begin to care about them…If you even had an opportunity to in the first place.

I really wish they’d kept Noble Team alive until the end. I would have cared much more about their deaths as a whole than their individual passings…

> The best parts of Reach were all before Jorge died.
>
> Think about it: Almost all of Noble team was together up until that point, and you had real character development up to that point. Each character bounced off the other, and it all lead to the feeling that this was a real Spartan team. Jorge and Emile obviously don’t share the same mindset. Kat and Carter are in a bit of a co-leadership, with Carter trying to play it by the books while Kat always has an alternative solution…But Carter is clearly in charge.
>
> The confrontation with Halsey was exemplary in a storytelling sense. Jorge, clearly friendly with Halsey, does most of the talking. Kat is confronted by someone who is clearly her technological superior, and she’s clearly at odds with Halsey from the start. While Halsey feels she’s always had control of her Spartans, Carter does not. Her and Carter are at very polar opposites at this point…“Are you a puppet or a Spartan?”…“Just some suggested reading ma’m”…This moment developed each of the characters, and the unit as a whole. It was brilliant…
>
> Each cutscene up to the last one with Jorge in it had real meaning. Each extrapolated on the characters and who they were in relation to each other.
>
> But the second Jorge gets killed off, the team as a unit hardly has any internal dialog. The closest you get is when Kat says “Your first glassing?..Mine too.”…And then she gets killed about 30 seconds later.
>
> All the characters develop wonderfully until the team falls apart. You start doing missions on your own, and you never really hear from the rest of the characters again. Then they slowly start to die off before you can even begin to care about them…If you even had an opportunity to in the first place.
>
> I really wish they’d kept Noble Team alive until the end. I would have cared much more about their deaths as a whole than their individual passings…

The mission themselves are the main concern here.

See, not to disagree with other posts here, but I have to say that the best part of the story was the second half of the Pillar of Autumn level. When I first played it spoiler I almost felt like maybe, just maybe, Noble 6 would end up being Master Chief. I mean, I know it was confirmed before hand, but plot twists and Halo go hand in hand.

If I had to pick a second good part though, I would have to go with the one that creeps me out the most in Reach; when playing Winter on Legendary the invisible elite freaks me out. Just knowing that he’s there, watching, just freaks me out every time.

> The best parts of Reach were all before Jorge died.
>
> Think about it: Almost all of Noble team was together up until that point, and you had real character development up to that point. Each character bounced off the other, and it all lead to the feeling that this was a real Spartan team. Jorge and Emile obviously don’t share the same mindset. Kat and Carter are in a bit of a co-leadership, with Carter trying to play it by the books while Kat always has an alternative solution…But Carter is clearly in charge.
>
> The confrontation with Halsey was exemplary in a storytelling sense. Jorge, clearly friendly with Halsey, does most of the talking. Kat is confronted by someone who is clearly her technological superior, and she’s clearly at odds with Halsey from the start. While Halsey feels she’s always had control of her Spartans, Carter does not. Her and Carter are at very polar opposites at this point…“Are you a puppet or a Spartan?”…“Just some suggested reading ma’m”…This moment developed each of the characters, and the unit as a whole. It was brilliant…
>
> Each cutscene up to the last one with Jorge in it had real meaning. Each extrapolated on the characters and who they were in relation to each other.
>
> But the second Jorge gets killed off, the team as a unit hardly has any internal dialog. The closest you get is when Kat says “Your first glassing?..Mine too.”…And then she gets killed about 30 seconds later.
>
> All the characters develop wonderfully until the team falls apart. You start doing missions on your own, and you never really hear from the rest of the characters again. Then they slowly start to die off before you can even begin to care about them…If you even had an opportunity to in the first place.
>
> I really wish they’d kept Noble Team alive until the end. I would have cared much more about their deaths as a whole than their individual passings…

Something I hadn’t thought about at all, bu yes, you’re right. It’s like character development got blown up along with the Supercarrier.

Long Night of solace was the best but tip of the spear was the worst just because of the cruiser that was there and the never before mentioned teleporters of the covenant.

> Long Night of solace was the best but tip of the spear was the worst just because of the cruiser that was there and the never before mentioned teleporters of the covenant.

The spires were the teleporters. The UNSC knew about them, but obviously didn’t know what they were. The supercarrier was cloaked, hence you not seeing it.

I thought Tip of the Spear was really badass. Favorite thing ever was stealing a Ghost and running circles around the grunts!

Good Parts:
*Build up to contact in Winter Contingency
*Nightfall
*Beginning section of Long Night of Solace
*Exodus
*Falcon joyride in New Alexadria (And easter Eggs)
*Parts of Pillar of Autumn
*After credit sequence.
*Gameplay variation(Space Combat/Sniping mission/changing objectives)

  • Enemy character models(General/Minor>Gold Elite/Blue Elite)
    Bad Parts:
    *No prolonged warthog/tank joyrides. Most levels with them are too constricting, as soon as you are getting close to a more open vehicle section they force you to get out and use either a Revenant or Ghost.
    *Little Progression of enemies/weapons. You fight Ultras wielding Repeaters in your first Elite encounter.
    *After Space Combat portion of LNOS
    *Ground portions of New Alexandria
    *Little Marine/Trooper interaction(Mostly 75% damage Noble Team)
    *Last major fight of the campaign is a rail gun segment? Lame.
    *Unnecessary canon alterations. Its not impossible to work into other parts of the canon like the books but why was it necessary to change some of them?

In many ways I actually think it’s the best Halo Campaign because although it’s not as epic and as grand as the others, it’s the only one I could keep replaying without getting bored, and it doesn’t have a stupid boss battle at the end or a level called ‘Cortana’ shudder.

I think Nightfall is a awesome quieter stealthy mission, Spear is just awesome. Solace is awesome, Package is pretty epic also.

Positive things to say about Reach’s campaign? Well, first off I love the fact that we can use our custom spartan armor. Helps give you the feeling that you are Noble 6. Also, like everyone else I did rather like the whole Lone Wolf mission. Very fun way to end the game. Sadly, I can’t think of anything good to say about the rest of the campaign. Even if you ignore the fact that it pisses all over previously established canon, it still isn’t very good imo. You are given little reason to care about the rest of your team, as they get very little character development before getting killed off. I also don’t get any huge sense of the destructive might of the Covenant (unlike from the book, Fall of Reach). While in Halo 2, Lord Hood states that “The fleet that destroyed Reach was 50 times this size,” yet I don’t see a whole lot more destruction during Reach then I did when in New Mombasa as MC, or again as The Rookie. New Alexandria is about the only level you see any real destruction by the Covenant.

Reach’s campaign gameplay was fantastic. Improved AI + Elites? Wonderful.

The story just lacked so much luster, and the settings were pretty much some of the most boring places I’ve ever been in a Halo game, excluding the Sabre missions and the Covenant corvette. Anything on the planet was just “Real is the new brown” or “Post-modern Styled City-thing”. No fun, unique, and new environments hardly at all. Only one level where you even felt like the planet was doomed, and that was New Alexandria (A bland, point-to-point mission)

…Anyway.

Gameplay? ++++

Jorge? <3

Everything else: poop noise