The Gaming Industry (Halo 4 Especially) Rant

We have entered this age where you buy a game, and you are locked out of 90% of the content from the start…

Armor, Weapons, Specializations, Expansions, Maps, Gametypes, Levels, Campaigns, etc.

On top of that, they re-use the same features, and hardware from previous games.

Let’s see: Stolen Ideas
Xp System (no ranks required)
Xp unlocks armor/wepaons/etc.
Loadouts
Killstreak Rewards (ordinance drops)
Low Amount of maps to encourage people to “buy map packs”
No voice communcation (yes, people used to talk to eachother in Halo 2-3)
No Skill Requirement
No Skill Ranking System
Skins/Armor Variations
“Paid Passes for Future Content”
Etc.

You can stop reading here, and just discuss your own thoughts.

So let’s see…we Pay, for a game which we believe has all the content included, but instead we only receive a small portion, and then have to unlock, or pay to play to get the rest of the content.


As far as Halo 4 is concerned…most paid $65+ for a 4 hour campaign, and multiplayer. The multiplayer “locks” or Xp caps you if you play too much, and it “locks” your level once you hit 70. To advance any further you have to “wait” for content to be “unlocked” by the developers. Remind you of anything? (Beyond 10th Prestige in MW3 months after the game launched, WoW level caps, Diablo 3 level cap, etc.)


The future…this seems to be heading down a very narrow path, where you’ll have to buy the game, and keep paying for content that’s already on the disk to “unlock” features. Making a $65 game, a $15/m+ subscription based game.


What you should do…
Never buy a game for over $50 on launch. (Bought Halo 4 for $43…)
Do not Pay Tax or additional fees for s/h or gas or any of that nonsense.
Get a good PC
Download Steam
Every day there is at least 3 50-75% off sales, and every season every game essentially becomes 75% off, making even the top tier Xbox 360 games as low as $10 or less…

2-3 Full Good Games, or 1 Map Pack?


What I do…
USB 3.0 is faster than anything at the moment.
External 3.0 Hard Drive Dock
Exchangeable SSD Cards (you could get 100-120GB SSD’s for $60-100)
I’ll buy games like Fallout 3 + all the expansions + New Vegas and the Expansions for like $15 or less combined, and load them on a SSD.
SSD = No loading times (or extremely fast loading times, the N64 modernized)
You can then, bring your “cartridges” over to a friends house
and they can play your games, or you can play theirs via steam.
Multiplayer Games can also be played with multiple controllers plugged in USB
You can play any PC game with an Xbox 360 Controller…even Diablo 3…

So, Halo 4 may be one of the Last if not the last console game I decide to buy. I bought Black Ops 2 on the PC simply because the graphics are so much better…again…for $45, not $65…silly rabbits…

I also buy GOOD games for a few dollars which serve a much longer, and more rewarding purpose than a “map pack” or “unlockable code” I also have access to typically free downloadable content, and more features like map editors and such. I also buy games when they are on sale even if I don’t intend to play them right away.


Conclusion: I feel as if, Microsoft has become Money Hungry, and so have many other companies. Video Games should be about making a great game, and building a strong community through care, not “Profit”…consider Halo 1-2-3, they were forced to cut out so much content because Microsoft had them on a budget, so many levels, and features were simply “thrown out” to make the game complete. So sad…now it’s like…

“let’s make a game look great, but have little content, but promise there will be more, but not tell them about all the strings and hidden costs attached”


My feelings about Halo 4:
Graphics = Amazing
Story = Horrible, no flood, no brutes, covenant are against you, random robots, cortana goes dead space, no Johnson, or the memorable characters, besides MC…what are you even fighting for?
Multiplayer = Awesome, but such a low selection of maps…I pretty much play the same 3-4 maps over, and over…
Xp Cap = Sucks! Don’t make a 2xp promotion + commendations + challenges, if you are going to cap me every morning…
Level Cap = sucks! Basically, if I don’t get a code, I can’t play past level 70?
Ranking System = sucks! No skill, ranks mean nothing!
Loadouts = sucks! There’s always that 1 or 2 good combos that make you > all. ( Example: Dmr + PP + Camo + Supply + Explosions = OP
Campaign: Way too short…I played it at a friends house, and after 2-3 hours, he’s like “we almost beat the game”, and I’m like…wait a minute…we are on legendary, and the game’s over?!
Spec Ops: Firefight for noobs…instead of playing online, you get more xp by killing grunts…okay…
Armor Codes/Specializations: Horrible Idea!

Total: I like the game, but feel like Microsoft/343 Industries were very greedy, and copied too many ideas from Call of Duty…the small things really irritate me as well…like being Xp capped everyday…or not receiving a code that I should have earned, and Microsoft Support blowing me off “we will email you within 24-72 hours”…okay…FU…I do know what that means…it means “i don’t care about your complaint”


I’ll reach the cap soon, likely next week when I have time to play, when I do, I won’t play anymore unless there’s some reason to. No skill, ranks don’t mean anything…I got to 50 in like 4 days…blah. and they are already showing off a “map pack” which I will buy…not. Consider this…I bought the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition + Ledgend of Grimrock for $10…> a few maps. :slight_smile:

Wow OP you sure do exaggerate a lot. Finish the campaign in 4 hours on legendary?

I’d rather stick with Xbox. If I had a good PC I’d have to spend hundreds of dollars every other year just so it’s able to play all the new games. On top of that, I’d buy tons of games on Steam and probably never play them because I’d have so many. I’m glad you bought the witcher 2 for $10. Steam needs to discount games to make money while Microsoft does not since its a subscription based model.

I wonder if you’ll even finish The Witcher 2 before you purchase another game or play another.

Anyways the gaming industry is this way because of gamers around the world. It’s not the industry’s fault, it’s the gamers fault for buying into games like Call of Duty every year running, making the industry think this is how we want our games to be.

I refuse to buy map packs.

The price is outrageous. 20 bucks for maps? I’ll buy a new game thank you very much.

If maps were like 1 dollar each and we had the opportunity to play them beforehand then I would by more.

I agree with you about PC gaming.

I just built a PC with an i5 3570k, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX and dual GTX 670s in SLI. Sure, it cost me about sux times the current price of a console, but it is already better than even the next generation consoles will be. It will be able to play new games at the highest settings for at least a few years.

Couple that with the fact that most PC games are cheaper on release, and you can get amazing deals on games through Steam and Amazon, and it will be a bit more even in price over the lifespan of the computer.

Plus, the graphics are much better and will be better than even next gen consoles. The mouse is also much better for playing FPS games, and the online communities tend to be much more mature and sportsmanlike.

The only reason I’m playing my Xbox at all these days is because games like Halo 4 are console exclusives, but if they weren’t I would consider just selling my Xbox all together.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not flame/attack others.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> I refuse to buy map packs.
>
> The price is outrageous. 20 bucks for maps? I’ll buy a new game thank you very much.
>
> If maps were like 1 dollar each and we had the opportunity to play them beforehand then I would by more.

20 bucks is for the map pass that you will be saving money on you tool -.-

Go play pc then. Good riddance. We don’t need PC elitists like you to be a part of our community anyway.

> Go play pc then. Good riddance. We don’t need PC elitists like you to be a part of our community anyway.

Aaawww, somebody’s jelly :frowning:

> > I refuse to buy map packs.
> >
> > The price is outrageous. 20 bucks for maps? I’ll buy a new game thank you very much.
> >
> > If maps were like 1 dollar each and we had the opportunity to play them beforehand then I would by more.
>
> 20 bucks is for the map pass that you will be saving money on you tool -.-

excuse me? Tool?

Seriously where do these children come from?

Well, it’s nice to see that the 14-year-old Brigade is still out in force across the Waypoint Forums. Let’s address some concerns.

“Stolen Ideas” - Stolen from whom? Is this like when those dastardly filmmakers steal techniques from each other? Y’know, the art of filmmaking? It’s disgraceful that we should see this kind of behaviour amongst developers; how dare they include solid, proven features from the get go.

“XP System (no ranks required)” - How can you still be unaware that ranked play is coming at the start of the year? Will it even actually matter for you? It’s not as if you’re that good a player.

“Loadouts” - Is this a criticism? Looks more like an observation; yes, I can confirm that loadouts are in Halo 4, but I don’t understand how you’re paying more for less in this area.

“Killstreak Rewards” - As above.

“Low Amount of maps to encourage people to “buy map packs”” - H4 has one of the largest numbers of launch maps of any Halo game.

“No voice communication” - That’s not 343’s fault. That’s because of the introduction of the Party system in 2008/09.

“No Skill Requirement… No Skill Ranking System” - Already addressed, but seriously, you are not a good enough player for it to have any negative effect on you.

“Skins/Armor Variations” - Now you don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make. This is additional content. Your argument was that you’re paying more for less, but this entry on your list just defeats everything you’re trying to get across.

“Paid Passes for Future Content” - So what? Games have had these for years. It’s the way of the future, and you’ll just have to get used to it. You’re sitting there whinging and trying to spruik Steam without realising that a great many games on Steam also feature paid passes for future and present content.

I’ll grit my teeth and press on, skipping much of your post because it’s almost pure -Yoink-. Thank you for your compelling explanation of your videogame purchasing habits, though.

“consider Halo 1-2-3, they were forced to cut out so much content because Microsoft had them on a budget, so many levels, and features were simply “thrown out” to make the game complete. So sad…now it’s like…” - You’re great at pretending that you know things about the dev cycles of those games. The fact is, genius, that disks only have a certain amount of space and the Xbox can only handle a certain amount of data at one time. Halo has had an almost-unlimited budget from H2 onwards, so that’s not an issue.

As for your feelings about Halo 4, I don’t even know where to begin. Complaints that Johnson is not in the game? What the actual -Yoink-? That turd nugget aside, how can you complain that the story is bad based on a lack of Flood, Brutes, or what you call “memorable characters”

Your exp cap complaint is -Yoink-. You’re not hitting cap every morning. If you were, you’d have max levelled already.

The level cap is temporary, so try to keep your -Yoink!- unbunched, if at all possible.

Ranks, we’ve covered. You need to climb off that high horse.

Your campaign complaint is -Yoink-. You’re not that good a player that you speedran Legendary in 2-3 hours. I think I covered Campaign on Normal in about 5-6, and that was with probably around 1-2 deaths per level, if any at all.

Your Spec Ops complaint is of a similar -Yoink- standard. It’s not even a complaint. You’re just talking out of your -Yoink- about it in a semi-literate way. Given your track record in this post, I’d rather you didn’t clarify your concerns. For me, it’s just not worth the effort of reading. And you really mustn’t have played much FF if you think that SO’s “get more xp by killing grunts” is new.

“Armor Codes/Specializations: Horrible Idea!” - Well, thank you for that helpful criticism. I’m glad that 343 will now know what to do to make you feel better about the way the game plays. It’s not -Yoinking!- rocket science to properly write down what you don’t like - there is nothing wrong with armour codes or specialisations.

Look, it was a nice try, but you end the round with a fairly abysmal 0/10. Better luck next time.

> Your Spec Ops complaint is of a similar -Yoink!- standard. It’s not even a complaint. You’re just talking out of your -Yoink!- about it in a semi-literate way. Given your track record in this post, <mark>I’d rather you didn’t clarify your concerns. For me, it’s just not worth the effort of reading.</mark> And you really mustn’t have played much FF if you think that SO’s “get more xp by killing grunts” is new.
>
> “Armor Codes/Specializations: Horrible Idea!” - Well, thank you for that helpful criticism. I’m glad that 343 will now know what to do to make you feel better about the way the game plays. <mark>It’s not -Yoinking!- rocket science to properly write down what you don’t like</mark> - there is nothing wrong with armour codes or specialisations.
>
>
> Look, it was a nice try, but you end the round with a fairly abysmal 0/10. Better luck next time.

When trolling, keep it short and simple. Lest you unravel your own efforts.

Parts of this thread feel more like a ‘‘buy a gaming PC now’’ thread, rather than discussing the state of Halo 4.

Why is it that PC players in particular always try and sell you PCs? Xbox and even PS3 fans don’t do it, yet I see PC users doing this EVERYWHERE, forums, youtube comments etc.

No offense, but I’m not looking to spend £600+ for a gaming PC.

I agree with you though, the game industry is ridiculous, just compare last-gen to this one. Last gen, games sold for less, made less money for the developers and publishers, and we got more content.

Now, production costs have gone up (although game prices have too to accommodate that), we get shorter games, day 1 DLC content that is on the disc but locked to be sold back to you, online passes and the occassional game that’s buggy/semi-finished, meaning we need patches just to play the game. It’s a shame.

Although, Microsoft are a great publisher, big budgets, no online passes, no Day 1 DLC and generally high quality games under their belt, I’d say none of the stuff I said above applies to 343i or Halo 4. I’m a little suspicious that this first map pack could have very easily been given to us at launch though…Like the first map pack for Gears 3 that had on-disc files for the DLC.

> > I refuse to buy map packs.
> >
> > The price is outrageous. 20 bucks for maps? I’ll buy a new game thank you very much.
> >
> > If maps were like 1 dollar each and we had the opportunity to play them beforehand then I would by more.
>
> 20 bucks is for the map pass that you will be saving money on you tool -.-

I paid £3.79 and got Left 4 Dead 2 w/ ALL the DLC, plus the game supports mods and other things to extend the longevity of the game. All that for £3.79, half of what you’re paying for 3 maps, I bought a game with all it’s DLC.

DLC is WAY too overvalued, sorry but that’s the truth. Standard pricing blows, the map packs should be 500MS at the most, especially if it’s just 3 maps.

I want to go back to PC gaming so bad! But man it is just too expensive to keep up with the hardware cost. One good gaming computer costs the same as 2-3 xbox 360s. and then in 3 months your gear is 100% out dated. it frustrating.

I do agree with you though. Console Gaming has become ridiculous. I understand developers are struggling with money and they are trying to come up with ways not to shut their doors. That’s great and all…but their current strategy blows. I think the new MMO and Flash game strategies on PC need to be implemented some how on the console.

My biggest issue with the gaming world is the homogenization. I bought Halo to play Halo, not a mix of BF (Loadouts) and CoD (Challenges/Leveling). I feel slighted honestly…cheated even. And every game is becoming like this.
I want games built for GAMERS, like CS 1.6, not for casuals. Console game developers need to realize one major thing.
TO GAME DEVELOPERS:
IN 3 MONTHS OR LESS, ALL OF YOUR CASUAL GAMERS WILL MOVE ON TO ANOTHER GAME. HOWEVER, THE SKILL GAMERS WILL STILL BE HERE BUYING YOUR NEW RELEASES AND BRAGGING ABOUT YOUR GAME. IT’S TIME TO GO BACK TO MAKING GAMES FOR SKILL PLAYERS AND LETTING THE CASUALS DEAL WITH IT.

> I want to go back to PC gaming so bad! But man it is just too expensive to keep up with the hardware cost. One good gaming computer costs the same as 2-3 xbox 360s. and then in 3 months your gear is 100% out dated. it frustrating.
>
> I do agree with you though. Console Gaming has become ridiculous. I understand developers are struggling with money and they are trying to come up with ways not to shut their doors. That’s great and all…but their current strategy blows. I think the new MMO and Flash game strategies on PC need to be implemented some how on the console.
>
> My biggest issue with the gaming world is the homogenization. I bought Halo to play Halo, not a mix of BF (Loadouts) and CoD (Challenges/Leveling). I feel slighted honestly…cheated even. And every game is becoming like this.
> I want games built for GAMERS, like CS 1.6, not for casuals. Console game developers need to realize one major thing.
> TO GAME DEVELOPERS:
> IN 3 MONTHS OR LESS, ALL OF YOUR CASUAL GAMERS WILL MOVE ON TO ANOTHER GAME. HOWEVER, THE SKILL GAMERS WILL STILL BE HERE BUYING YOUR NEW RELEASES AND BRAGGING ABOUT YOUR GAME. IT’S TIME TO GO BACK TO MAKING GAMES FOR SKILL PLAYERS AND LETTING THE CASUALS DEAL WITH IT.

Homogenization summarises what the console FPS scene is becoming in a nutshell.
People think every game should have it’s own loadouts, killstreaks and all this other anti-competitive crap. If these mechanics were at least competitive it’d be great, but the entire arena-shooter genre is beginning to get neglected on all fronts. I agree with you 100%.

> Wow OP you sure do exaggerate a lot. Finish the campaign in 4 hours on legendary?
>
> I’d rather stick with Xbox. If I had a good PC I’d have to spend hundreds of dollars every other year just so it’s able to play all the new games. On top of that, I’d buy tons of games on Steam and probably never play them because I’d have so many. I’m glad you bought the witcher 2 for $10. Steam needs to discount games to make money while Microsoft does not since its a subscription based model.
>
> I wonder if you’ll even finish The Witcher 2 before you purchase another game or play another.
>
> Anyways the gaming industry is this way because of gamers around the world. It’s not the industry’s fault, it’s the gamers fault for buying into games like Call of Duty every year running, making the industry think this is how we want our games to be.

See “Time Played” https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/DESOLATER%20IV/campaign/
An hour of that was messing around on normal, and doing and doing a solo legendary mission…

To everyone saying PC’s get outdated.

I’ve had mine for years now, and it can still play everything on Ultra besides…Crysis 2. You don’t buy computers, you make them, or have them made for you. Saves you about $1000, and increases the lifespan a few years. You also don’t “buy cheap” you invest in something long term.

And then you upgrade every so often…I recently “cheaply” upgraded by finding the mysterious powers of the 3.0 ports, and hubs. :slight_smile:

Also…I used to be like all of you…until I began to realize how amazing games looked on PC on max settings compared to Console…even -Yoink- landscapes look great…Fallout 3…which you can re-buy on PC for a couple dollars. Or at least I did. :slight_smile:

It’s all about them making as much profit as possible as fast as possible.

What they’re doing is the equivalent of a car dealership selling a car without tires and making us buy the tires separately.

It’s blatant, pathetic, greed.

> It’s all about them making as much profit as possible as fast as possible.
>
> What they’re doing is the equivalent of a car dealership selling a car without tires and making us buy the tires separately.
>
> It’s blatant, pathetic, greed.

Agreed.

> To everyone saying PC’s get outdated.
>
> I’ve had mine for years now, and it can still play everything on Ultra besides…Crysis 2. You don’t buy computers, you make them, or have them made for you. Saves you about $1000, and increases the lifespan a few years. You also don’t “buy cheap” you invest in something long term.
>
> And then you upgrade every so often…I recently “cheaply” upgraded by finding the mysterious powers of the 3.0 ports, and hubs. :slight_smile:

This. I spent a little less than $1800 to build my PC, but it has the power to last for probably near to a decade of gaming. Especially if current games are any indication. Black Ops 2 doesn’t even touch the capabilities of this thing, nor would Halo 4 if it were on PC. Even the Witcher 2 with max settings and Ubersampling on just makes it sweat a little, so it should play all new games on max settings for a few years and on lower settings for years after that.

PLUS, you can upgrade parts as you go along. I could easily add a 3rd graphics card if I needed to.

> > To everyone saying PC’s get outdated.
> >
> > I’ve had mine for years now, and it can still play everything on Ultra besides…Crysis 2. You don’t buy computers, you make them, or have them made for you. Saves you about $1000, and increases the lifespan a few years. You also don’t “buy cheap” you invest in something long term.
> >
> > And then you upgrade every so often…I recently “cheaply” upgraded by finding the mysterious powers of the 3.0 ports, and hubs. :slight_smile:
>
> This. I spent a little less than $1800 to build my PC, but it has the power to last for probably near to a decade of gaming. Especially if current games are any indication. Black Ops 2 doesn’t even touch the capabilities of this thing, nor would Halo 4 if it were on PC. Even the Witcher 2 with max settings and Ubersampling on just makes it sweat a little, so it should play all new games on max settings for a few years and on lower settings for years after that.
>
> PLUS, you can upgrade parts as you go along. I could easily add a 3rd graphics card if I needed to.

Only have 1 Great Graphics card, but…3 monitors :slight_smile: (3.0 will soon revolutionize the world of computers)I’ve had my computer for like 4-5 years now, so it’ll definitely last another 4-5 years, if not longer. No problems at all. A $100 3TB 3.0 External Drive is faster than my current internal drive if that says anything…haha. 3.0 Faster than eSata. + External 3.0 SSD’s…<333

The only real thing you have to worry about is the Graphics card(s) which will cost half the price of the computer, so buy a good one. Haha. :slight_smile: Ram is extremely cheap, what like 16GB for $40? and a good CPU is important.

To the Xbox 360 Fans…my phone has the same amount of RAM as an Xbox 360. :slight_smile:

However: Xbox Live is nice…Avatars, Achievements, Players, Ease of Access…etc., I’ve always enjoyed my time on Xbox Live. Achievements on Steam don’t mean as much to me.