The game's graphics really has improved since!

Seeing the new April update, like omg… it looks so good! I still think the assault rifle is super skinny but everything else looks amazing. The atmosphere I saw in the pictures felt like I was engulfed into the ring like the mission “The Library” from Halo CE. Im glad they took the CE direction again. Looking at those FOV changes to really far, it just makes me want to role around the ground of so much big space.

It really does give the mystical and mysterious atmosphere you can feel just by the pictures.

yes

Disagree to be honest, these new screenshots have a weird quality to them. Lighting and shadows look very strange to me. Some shadows seem to be missing or aren’t logical (brute long shadow towards you, jackal zero shadow). Characters seem to float because of it. Models look plasticky. Especially the brute design still looks terrible.

Draw distance is also still not impressing me (last screenshot in the update). Those trees man…Hexagons are still grating to look at for me, baffling decision to make them so ubiquitous.

It looks like a last gen game and anyone expecting a significant upgrade from Craig is going to be very disappointed come launch.

So far it looks like they nailed the atmosphere. As soon as I saw those screenshots all I could feel is CE vibes with updated graphics.

> 2533275031939856;5:
> So far it looks like they nailed the atmosphere. As soon as I saw those screenshots all I could feel is CE vibes with updated graphics.

I said something similar on a different post, but to add to your discussion here because I agree with a lot of what you all are saying - I am a big fan of atmosphere, lighting, that kind of ambience, etc. I am reserving total judgement until release and I see it in motion because that always looks different than still images and compressed online videos. But is reminding me of H2A and that game looks gorgeous on XSX I think. I just worry because I don’t want them to only make it look like old halo games, wow me with something new too please. I thought Jedi Fallen Order did a good job of this marrying nostalgic familiar with something new and unique.

Its looks pretty good imo. People still think it still looks rough but are forgetting those are WIP screenshots.

as long as it gets better i am all for it

While I’m mostly the type that don’t care about graphics as much as gameplay (cuz if it’s pretty but boring or uninteresting to play, it’s not worth buying and playing the game), I still think they can improve some aspect of it.

But honestly as long as the game is fun and enjoyable, I will play it even if the graphics stay like they are right now because they already look pretty good (especially compared to the early build from the gameplay reveal).

The graphics are hardly an upgrade.

The July demo was in motion. Pausing the video for a still is not the same as taking an intentional screenshot of the game engine. And this is months after taking heavy criticism for the graphics and acknowledging it. They could have at least shown their best work in parts of the game that are nearly complete.

Draw distance is unacceptable. And as someone who recently picked up H5 and instantly noticed this issue (that does affect gameplay), I’m not optimistic that this is even on their list of concerns. In H5 (also developed by 343 on the Xbox One but “optimized” for the Series X), it’s noticeable when enemies are just 100 meters out that they change to super low polygon models with almost claymation-like framerates. Those Brutes and Grunts in the latest Infinite screenshots suffer from the exact same problem but are much closer than 100 meters in most cases. Anti-aliasing also appears to be non-existant, most notably on the character models. Most MCC games look better than this. Instead of fixing small problems like this, they want to tax our PCs with twice the amount of pixels in 32:9?

Also, I’m still not seeing anything indicating the ray tracing we were promised. Another recent popular FPS claimed ray tracing would come in a post-launch update… and then never did. I hope 343 will maintain their ethical standards and still follow through with this.

The textures are still flat. I get it that Infinite is going for a certain style and not exactly realism. But I’m still not seeing that modernized sheen that made the CE and H3 graphics so iconic.

We are being conditioned little by little to lower our expectations until we’ve gone full OMITTED fanboy, “Graphics don’t matter. Gameplay is the only thing that matters!”. They might as well develop the next Halo on a $300 handheld toy with cardboard box peripheral devices.

For now, these are just a few images. I want to see a new demo

> 2535421108515819;10:
> The graphics are hardly an upgrade.
>
> The July demo was in motion. Pausing the video for a still is not the same as taking an intentional screenshot of the game engine. And this is months after taking heavy criticism for the graphics and acknowledging it. They could have at least shown their best work in parts of the game that are nearly complete.
>
> Draw distance is unacceptable. And as someone who recently picked up H5 and instantly noticed this issue (that does affect gameplay), I’m not optimistic that this is even on their list of concerns. In H5 (also developed by 343 on the Xbox One but “optimized” for the Series X), it’s noticeable when enemies are just 100 meters out that they change to super low polygon models with almost claymation-like framerates. Those Brutes and Grunts in the latest Infinite screenshots suffer from the exact same problem but are much closer than 100 meters in most cases. Anti-aliasing also appears to be non-existant, most notably on the character models. Most MCC games look better than this. Instead of fixing small problems like this, they want to tax our PCs with twice the amount of pixels in 32:9?
>
> Also, I’m still not seeing anything indicating the ray tracing we were promised. Another recent popular FPS claimed ray tracing would come in a post-launch update… and then never did. I hope 343 will maintain their ethical standards and still follow through with this.
>
> The textures are still flat. I get it that Infinite is going for a certain style and not exactly realism. But I’m still not seeing that modernized sheen that made the CE and H3 graphics so iconic.
>
> We are being conditioned little by little to lower our expectations until we’ve gone full OMITTED fanboy, “Graphics don’t matter. Gameplay is the only thing that matters!”. They might as well develop the next Halo on a $300 handheld toy with cardboard box peripheral devices.

They are heading in the right direction. I’m digging the aesthetic and feel that it does pay suitable homage to the original games.

Agree that we need to see it in motion… and thankfully E3 is just around the corner.

Bit harsh of H5. It’s a five year old game that was very, very good for the hardware it came out on. Compromises were made to get it to a stable 60fps - and these things are baked into the game / engine and are not going to be fixed by the Series X ‘optimisations’.

I wouldn’t be hanging out for ‘ray tracing’. It’s going to take developers a game gen or two to get the hang of what the new consoles can do (apparently basic ray tracing has only just been added to the APIs). They may add a bit extra sauce to the PC versions… but I doubt they will want too big a contrast. Some general lighting maybe, shadows, and the occasional sun beam poking through the trees. And besides I don’t think Halo is well suited to lots of fancy ray tracing reflections etc - semi-open world with (hopefully) too much going on with enemies and bullets etc.

personally speaking I think last E3’s showing other than some fairly obvious rough spots and a seemingly bright tinge to it, it looked good. I’m not exactly blown away by the new shots but then I don’t think we need to be. They do look rather excellent to me though because they’re doing justice to what I expect from this environment. I still love the look from Halo CE Halo level and Infinite is the basis so I’m very pleased with this

It looks a lot better, at least in the concept art. I’ve seen all the PC screenshots and I do have to say that they look so much better.

Looks nice, but show me what it looks like on Xbox