The Future of Infection

A “Holdout” style Infection map has only one area, say a fairly small two story building that Humans cannot exit. Humans must survive constant Zombie attacks from multiple different entrances while defending their holdout area. Unlike a traditional Infection map, Humans have no influence over Zombie respawn points. Zombies randomly spawn near entrances to the holdout area, like outside a window, above a skylight, or down a hallway that is inaccessible to Humans.

A “Linear Progression” style Infection map builds on the Holdout concept. Rather than a single holdout area, there are multiple holdout areas. Humans spawn in the first holdout area and must defend it until the entrance to the next holdout area is opened. Entrances can open automatically at a certain times in the game or entrances can require the Humans to destroy an object blocking the path. Once a new holdout area is opened, the Zombies’ available respawn points are adjusted to give them access to the new holdout area.

The past: Zombies kill humans. Humans become zombies.

The present: Players progress from one holdout location to another as the map allows.

The future: Maps have multiple routes that players can choose to take and interactive elements that players can choose to activate.

Rather than a single path that all Humans must follow, diverging paths, that eventually reconnect, allow Humans to make different decisions and experience different areas of the map in addition to giving Zombies choices like which group to attack. Multiple paths allow the Zombies to separate some Humans from the group, single them out, and infect them.

Interactive Map Elements that the Humans can activate, ranging from automated map defenses like auto turrets to map movement options like a subway train to map altering elements like overhead lights allow both Humans and Zombies to have a dynamic experience each time they play the map.

What would you like to see in future versions of the Infection gametype?

yes. A progression style map in infection would be great, same with the holdout.

EVAC- players must escape a linear area before the time runs out. If you make it, you board a pelican and escape. There will be multiple PRE SET loadouts with multiple roles for infected and humans.

INFECTED
Combat- Fast,weak,half damage(hits cause slow infection over time)
Brute-basic
Juggernaught- slow, take hits,double damage

SURVIVOR
Medic-fast,smg,can heal slow infection
Guard-basic
Tank-Slow,takes hits,shotgun,double damage

Are there 2v2 infection gametypes? If so, which would one recommend?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve done Infection on Reach a lot more than on other games ^^;

> Are there 2v2 infection gametypes? If so, which would one recommend?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> I’ve done Infection on Reach a lot more than on other games ^^;

I don’t think 2v2 would work very well for Infection.

I want to see the interactive dynamical map elements in infection… like High Ground… except instead of one activation to open, which remains open… the doors should be closeable. So continually re-spawning the terminal timer to open/close or on/off doors/bridges.

> Are there 2v2 infection gametypes? If so, which would one recommend?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> I’ve done Infection on Reach a lot more than on other games ^^;

I’m not a h4 hater, but Infection in reach is way better.
I’d rather have a normal spartan as the infected, than a failed flood character model, which looks more like it’s from resident evil than from halo.

> > Are there 2v2 infection gametypes? If so, which would one recommend?
> >
> > Sorry if this is a dumb question. :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > I’ve done Infection on Reach a lot more than on other games ^^;
>
> I’m not a h4 hater, but Infection in reach is way better.
> I’d rather have a normal spartan as the infected, than a failed flood character model, which looks more like it’s from resident evil than from halo.

I love infection but I think Flood should be a varaition of infection. So in infection you can have the option too turn on flood. I also think flood should have multiple models or forms like combat,infection form,juggernaught etc. sort of like dead space 2. Humans would play roles like tank,scout etc. I think 343 should expand on flood but keep the og infection as the standard.

[deleted]

Regarding your suggestions, OP: While my personal preference is for linear Infection maps, I’d be interested to see the gameplay effects of branching maps.

IMO the key advantage that linear maps have over traditional maps is that in traditional maps, everyone does their own thing. “Survive” is a very open-ended objective, and unless an exploit or imbalanced spot is being used, I don’t often see survivors team up. In a linear map, everyone’s going to the same place via the same path, so there’s nothing else to do but team up. It does remove some variety from the experience, but I find it results in more interesting gameplay.

I’d expect a branching map to produce something in between: little improvised units of players, with teamwork within units and scattered independence between units. It’d be interesting to see, and I can even imagine situations where the actions of a unit on one path might affect the circumstances of a unit on another path. If it works, it could solve the small variety problem that some linear experiences have.

As for what I’d like to see? Some official Megalo-based support for progression-based Infection maps would be good. Linear infection maps in Reach used Safe Havens as an improvised win condition, while such maps in Halo 4 couldn’t even do that. I fully expect a next-gen Megalo engine to be able to support an Invasion/Infection hybrid, so I’ll be a little disappointed (if unsurprised, given the treatment Infection has often received from the devs) if such a gametype doesn’t become official.

i hope they show you turning in to the flood like they did in halo 3 for infection

I’m less concerned about maps and more the structure of the gametype itself.

Usually zombies are nothing more than cannon fodder, and winning is based on the humans slipping up. Honestly it was fun mowing through zombies when I was a kid, but now the gametype is mostly just stale.

We can either make the horde slightly more effective, or we can move away from horde-esque gametypes into something different. Something where the humans are trying to survive a single powerful enemy with an achilles heal, and not a horde of weak ones.

But I digress, map design isn’t an important issue. Pretty sure people can already make such maps to an extent, and it’s something the developers are bound to look into later on.

Halo 4 made some strides towards making zombies more effective, of course everyone complained about it.