The frame rate debate (and splitscreen)

here it is, the, hard definitive statistics, what do people actually want when it comes to halo 5 and its frame rate and splitscreen. The options that are given represent the most simple view of the argument. This is to straighten out the argument as to what people actually want for this game, to resolve the issue of who the majority and minority are. NO hateful comments please this is a pole, not a cat fight.
(Options below are representative of the two major points of view seen on the forums, there may be other views but the major ones are these)

30fps:

• in game detail can be increased (however it will be lowered for splitscreen)
  • allows splitscreen functionality (frame rate drops even more and so does resolution, this is what splitscreen does to a game)
  • game isn’t completed till late 2016 as the game has to be built from scratch again
  • will require additional crowd funding

60fps:

• the game is completed for late 2015 launch
  • will have high resolution (1080p hopefully, still subject to change) details and assets (may not be as high resolution as 30 fps, as a higher frame rate is more tasking on the system)
  • will have no splitscreen functionality
  • game will look good and runs well for competitive multiplayer (60 fps is a necessity for competitive shooters)

This is a basic as it gets, cast your vote and see what the community actually wants. If there are any more pros and cons that need to be added or changed to either side (legitament pros and cons) I will add/change them if you post a comment explaining them, please do not hesitate if you think there is a problem or there is too much bias in a point (I am human too and am subject to bias).

Problem is that even without the splitscreen the textures aren’t amazing. The 60fps is taking its toll, and it shows.

> 2533274846978810;2:
> Problem is that even without the splitscreen the textures aren’t amazing. The 60fps is taking its toll, and it shows.

Fair enough, but they are not going to look as bad as it will in splitscreen, I’ll add that change

I prefer 60 fps now. Mainly because if they get 1080p 60 fps nailed in Halo 5, then they may be able to add it in post or in Halo 6. So, for the possibility of having split screen with 1080 60, Ill stick with the 60. Plus, its a shooter, 60 is great for it. Opinions though.

I don’t think a lot of people are going to notice it without having an ultra-awesome TV, and besides, Halo 3 chose gameplay over graphics, and it was one of the better selling games of its time…

> 2533274814920695;5:
> I don’t think a lot of people are going to notice it without having an ultra-awesome TV, and besides, Halo 3 chose gameplay over graphics, and it was one of the better selling games of its time…

From what I can tell (in Australia, may be different in other countries) the standard for televisions usually is full hd (1080p) and 50hz

I want what was promised, nothing less, nothing more.

> 2712882632678788;7:
> I want what was promised, nothing less, nothing more.
>
> https://mobile.twitter.com/joshingtonstate/status/551899554191142912

Twitter post doesn’t promise, nor confirm conclusively, just states that they are planning (i.e attempting) to add the function into the game.

> 2712882632678788;7:
>

We plan to support and we promise are two very different things.

60fps is way too important, I would rather have 720p and 60fps then 1080 and 30

Could it be possible to add the word poll to the title?

> 2533274883181109;11:
> Could it be possible to add the word poll to the title?

I tried to when I realised I hadn’t, but someone had already cast their vote

> 2533274883181109;10:
> 60fps is way too important, I would rather have 720p and 60fps then 1080 and 30

What bothers me though is that even if they achieve 1080/60 then it’s still up to the consumer to actually have a tv that supports 1080…

I chose 30, split screen. I’m not looking forward to buying a second console just so me and my wife can play it together.

Seems like I’m kinda getting robbed…

Dude, these aren’t right choices. No matter what, single screen people will always have best framerate with best resolution and best amount of detail. It’s like giving people choice, if they want to eat, or they want to sleep - like these things were contradictory to each other.

Biased poll is biased, and quite honestly a farce.

Where’s the “I WANT 60 FPS, SINGLE PLAYER, HIGH-RES GRAPHICS - BUT WITH OPTIONAL 30 FPS LOW-RES GRAPHICS FOR SPLITSCREEN” option? Hell, Halo Reach had the option of going splitscreen on the Xbox 360’s limited hardware, where it toned down the graphical fidelity so as to keep it at a (near) constant 30 FPS.

> 2712882632678788;7:
>

If 343i discovered it was not possible later on, promises mean nothing.

> 2533274846978810;2:
> Problem is that even without the splitscreen the textures aren’t amazing. The 60fps is taking its toll, and it shows.

In development Give it time, companies will find ways to get both.

> 2533274928572671;1:
> - will require additional crowd funding

Halo 5: Guardians is being made by MICROSOFT.

Do you really think they need crowd-funding? Microsoft makes more money in one day than the entire continent of Africa in a whole year.

> 2533274928572671;1:
> - game isn’t completed till late 2016 as the game has to be built from scratch again

I don’t think so.

Right because those are the actual options on the table…

If anything is going to cause low res textures its 60fps…

I wouldn’t care if this was a single player cinematic oriented game, like last of us, uncharted, etc.

BUT, since 343i is trying heavily to introduce halo to esports again, 60 is a must. I don’t mind playing a game that plays superb, but might not look like a million dollar, (personally I think Halo 5 looks fantastic).

Whenever I had friends over and we played halo, we always swapped controls around if we were playing online, simply because it’s a -Yoinking!- nightmare to play split screen with 20 fps, and lose every duel that shoulda been a win.