The Forerunners, Prometheans and the Didact.

I’m confused as to where all the things I listed in the title fit together in terms of canon so i’m hoping somebody here can help me out.

Okay, so the Prometheans are the new enemy class in Halo 4, it has been said that they are the warrior-servant class of the Forerunners and yet they look completely unlike anything that we are told Forerunners should look like. Are the Knights, Crawlers and Guardians actually Prometheans or just a creation of the Prometheans?

Also Didact is a warrior-servant but has been exiled to a Cryptum, it’s been considered that he is the main antagonist in Halo 4 yet it’s confirmed he believed in the Mantle, if that’s the case why would he be an antagonist?

Last point, Forerunners were a war-free race up until their war with the Flood so why do Humans fight them in the first place?

> I’m confused as to where all the things I listed in the title fit together in terms of canon so i’m hoping somebody here can help me out.
>
> Okay, so the Prometheans are the new enemy class in Halo 4, it has been said that they are the warrior-servant class of the Forerunners and yet they look completely unlike anything that we are told Forerunners should look like. Are the Knights, Crawlers and Guardians actually Prometheans or just a creation of the Prometheans?
>
> Also Didact is a warrior-servant but has been exiled to a Cryptum, it’s been considered that he is the main antagonist in Halo 4 yet it’s confirmed he believed in the Mantle, if that’s the case why would he be an antagonist?
>
> Last point, Forerunners were a war-free race up until their war with the Flood so why do Humans fight them in the first place?

Have you actually read Cryptum and Primordium?

Forerunners were anything BUT war free, they nearly wiped us out and they did take out the Precursors because the Precursors were about to kill them for going against the mantle. Also as for the Promethean appearance I have a feeling that is likely due to The Composer.

If you read cryptum it answers a lot of your questions. I’m gonna start primordium over the weekend. It was a really good book too!

> Okay, so the Prometheans are the new enemy class in Halo 4, it has been said that they are the warrior-servant class of the Forerunners and yet they look completely unlike anything that we are told Forerunners should look like. Are the Knights, Crawlers and Guardians actually Prometheans or just a creation of the Prometheans?

Forerunners go through many mutations in their long lifetimes, because of this it is impossible to say what a ‘standard’ forerunner looks like. Yes the knights are prometheans, however they are not the prometheans we have seen in cryptum/primordium, why the are so drastically different is a mystery.

> Also Didact is a warrior-servant but has been exiled to a Cryptum, it’s been considered that he is the main antagonist in Halo 4 yet it’s confirmed he believed in the Mantle, if that’s the case why would he be an antagonist?

Alot of people are assuming that the Didact is the antagonist in H4 but I don’t think it is that simple…

> Last point, Forerunners were a war-free race up until their war with the Flood so why do Humans fight them in the first place?

The forerunners were certainly not war free.

> I’m confused as to where all the things I listed in the title fit together in terms of canon so i’m hoping somebody here can help me out.
>
>
>

The forerunners weren’t all that peaceful, we were at war with them after retreating from human controlled space(running from the flood) in a time that humans rivaled forerunners in tech (or were close) and had a pretty large amount of the universe under our control. There was a war, then humans were devolved into many subspecies. The humans were from then on primitive until I believe 100,000 years after the halo rings were fired.

The Promethean knights are dead forerunners put in to a shell, not necessarily designed after the forerunner body(from what I’ve heard).

The Didact talked to an ancient creature know as a precursor (considered evil by most) and could have been corrupted. (they talked for a LONG time)

> > I’m confused as to where all the things I listed in the title fit together in terms of canon so i’m hoping somebody here can help me out.
> >
> > Okay, so the Prometheans are the new enemy class in Halo 4, it has been said that they are the warrior-servant class of the Forerunners and yet they look completely unlike anything that we are told Forerunners should look like. Are the Knights, Crawlers and Guardians actually Prometheans or just a creation of the Prometheans?
> >
> > Also Didact is a warrior-servant but has been exiled to a Cryptum, it’s been considered that he is the main antagonist in Halo 4 yet it’s confirmed he believed in the Mantle, if that’s the case why would he be an antagonist?
> >
> > Last point, Forerunners were a war-free race up until their war with the Flood so why do Humans fight them in the first place?
>
> Have you actually read Cryptum and Primordium?

No, i’ve never read any of the books and I want to clear some things up so I posted this.

> Alot of people are assuming that the Didact is the antagonist in H4 but I don’t think it is that simple…

The reasoning might not be simple but we are going head to head with him and that much is confirmed.

> The reasoning might not be simple but we are going head to head with him and that much is confirmed.

Huh? When has it been confirmed we are going head to head with the didact?

>
>
>

The flood attacked ancient humans and the humans invaded forerunner worlds in order to escape it. Forerunners retaliated by attacking them. Humans destroyed their cure for the flood as revenge.

Forerunners were far from a war-free peaceful culture.

I believe that the promethean knights we see were composed into machines. The rest are simply creations.

The Didact was released from his cryptum. And at the end of primordium after he talked to and killed the timeless one, he seemed angry and afraid about what he had heard and seemed to become angry about the idea that humans would replace them after the forerunners destruction by the flood.

> > > No, i’ve never read any of the books and I want to clear some things up so I posted this.
> >
> > Then I suggest your read them, that is going to be the best way to clear things up.

> Huh? When has it been confirmed we are going head to head with the didact?

You are now entering spoiler territory

> The Didact talked to an ancient creature know as a precursor (considered evil by most) and could have been corrupted. (they talked for a LONG time)

They had a short conversation, but what was said seemed to have a big impact on him.

> > I’m confused as to where all the things I listed in the title fit together in terms of canon so i’m hoping somebody here can help me out.
> >
> > Okay, so the Prometheans are the new enemy class in Halo 4, it has been said that they are the warrior-servant class of the Forerunners and yet they look completely unlike anything that we are told Forerunners should look like. Are the Knights, Crawlers and Guardians actually Prometheans or just a creation of the Prometheans?
> >
> > Also Didact is a warrior-servant but has been exiled to a Cryptum, it’s been considered that he is the main antagonist in Halo 4 yet it’s confirmed he believed in the Mantle, if that’s the case why would he be an antagonist?
> >
> > Last point, Forerunners were a war-free race up until their war with the Flood so why do Humans fight them in the first place?
>
> The flood attacked ancient humans and the humans invaded forerunner worlds in order to escape it. Forerunners retaliated by attacking them. Humans destroyed their cure for the flood as revenge.
>
> Forerunners were far from a war-free peaceful culture.
>
> I believe that the promethean knights we see were composed into machines. The rest are simply creations.
>
> The Didact was released from his cryptum. And at the end of primordium after he talked to and killed the timeless one, he seemed angry and afraid about what he had heard and seemed to become angry about the idea that humans would replace them after the forerunners destruction by the flood.

I know all about the war with ancient Humans/Flood but thanks for the last part, The timeless one is a Gravemind, right? So when did those events take place in relation to Halo 4?

> > > > No, i’ve never read any of the books and I want to clear some things up so I posted this.
> > >
> > > Then I suggest your read them, that is going to be the best way to clear things up.
> >
> > Maybe one day but the easiest way right now is for someone who already knows to just explain to me what i’ve missed, i’m not looking for huge details, just links.

> > The Didact talked to an ancient creature know as a precursor (considered evil by most) and could have been corrupted. (they talked for a LONG time)
>
> They had a short conversation, but what was said seemed to have a big impact on him.

I heard otherwise, but its from a person on waypoint who generally knows allot. I haven’t read the book in forever so I went with what i heard :stuck_out_tongue:

>
>
>

1. We’re not entirely sure as to the nature of the Promethean enemies. The watchers and crawlers are almost certainly AI. My prediction for the Knights, is that they are treated similarly to the Didact’s children- preserved in durances, inside of other machines. They’re like AI, but with more personality and the fact that they were once forerunners. Essentially speaking, they may have once been Forerunners who were felled in battle, their durances rounded up by the Didact, and put into new ‘bodies’ to continue service as the Knights we are about to know and love. Preserving their warrior spirits, at best.

2. Just because he believes in the Mantle, does not mean he isn’t antagonist-worthy. The Mantle is directly breached by things of war it is argued, and yet it is deemed necesarry to go to war to protect the various species of the galaxy. As others have stated, I personally doubt the Didact is our true antagonist. He will probably appear to be our foe at first, but eventually the Didact will work with humans once again to rid a more ancient and terrifying evil- The Flood and their Precursor origins.

3. They, as others have said, were not remotely war-free. At best, they tried to put up the facade that they were to the general populace of the Ecumene. The truth was far, far uglier: The Forerunner-Precursor War and the Forerunner-Human War are both major engagements that happened long before the Flood-Forerunner War.

Any other questions you might want answered?

> > > The Didact talked to an ancient creature know as a precursor (considered evil by most) and could have been corrupted. (they talked for a LONG time)
> >
> > They had a short conversation, but what was said seemed to have a big impact on him.
>
> I heard otherwise, but its from a person on waypoint who generally knows allot. I haven’t read the book in forever so I went with what i heard :stuck_out_tongue:

Well he was wrong. The conversation in primordium was brief and monitor-chakas watched there so we know what happened. The original didact did have a previous conversation with it on charum hakor, though and i have no idea what was said(nobody does, as of now) but i don’t think it was a long conversation.

> >
> >
> >
>
> 1) We’re not entirely sure as to the nature of the Promethean enemies. The watchers and crawlers are almost certainly AI. My prediction for the Knights, is that they are treated similarly to the Didact’s children- preserved in durances, inside of other machines. They’re like AI, but with more personality and the fact that they were once forerunners. Essentially speaking, they may have once been Forerunners who were felled in battle, their durances rounded up by the Didact, and put into new ‘bodies’ to continue service as the Knights we are about to know and love. Preserving their warrior spirits, at best.
>
> 2) Just because he believes in the Mantle, does not mean he isn’t antagonist-worthy. The Mantle is directly breached by things of war it is argued, and yet it is deemed necesarry to go to war to protect the various species of the galaxy. As others have stated, I personally doubt the Didact is our true antagonist. He will probably appear to be our foe at first, but eventually the Didact will work with humans once again to rid a more ancient and terrifying evil- The Flood and their Precursor origins.
>
> 3) They, as others have said, were not remotely war-free. At best, they tried to put up the facade that they were to the general populace of the Ecumene. The truth was far, far uglier: The Forerunner-Precursor War and the Forerunner-Human War are both major engagements that happened long before the Flood-Forerunner War.
>
> Any other questions you might want answered?

Thankyou, they’re the answers I was looking for. My biggest confusion was with the Promethean’s as they are Forerunners but looked like AI/VI Constructs. I know in a Waypoint video it’s specifically made out they’re not monsters or robots but it seemed to me as though they’re not as intelligent as Forerunners should be but that could be due to all the footage we’ve seen of them is in combat.

> > > > The Didact talked to an ancient creature know as a precursor (considered evil by most) and could have been corrupted. (they talked for a LONG time)
> > >
> > > They had a short conversation, but what was said seemed to have a big impact on him.
> >
> > I heard otherwise, but its from a person on waypoint who generally knows allot. I haven’t read the book in forever so I went with what i heard :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> Well he was wrong. The conversation in primordium was brief and monitor-chakas watched there so we know what happened. The original didact did have a previous conversation with it on charum hakor, though and i have no idea what was said(nobody does, as of now) but i don’t think it was a long conversation.

Thanks for clearing that up :stuck_out_tongue:

^ As I said, it’s uncertain at best. If the game itself doesn’t elaborate enough for us, I’m almost certain that Greg Bear’s third novel, Silentium, will delve into the origins of the Knights and other Promethean guardians of Requiem.