The Forerunners Have Returned

So yes… in a way… the Forerunners have returned…

BUT…

not completely.

We know that some Forerunner escaped the galaxy during the firing of the HALO array.

So…

What if during this entire time these few Forerunners rebuilt themselves, repopulated, and rose to great power once again?

Maybe they went to Andromeda to start new. Maybe there’s an entire fascinating lore behind the tales of Andromeda and that someday it will intertwine into what we know of today in the HALO Universe within the Milky Way.

There just seems to be an a very intriguing opportunity for the HALO Universe knowing some of the Forerunners from ancient past survived the firing of the HALO array.

What are your thoughts on a massive return of an entire Forerunner civilization populating in the billions to the HALO Universe?

How would you like them to be brought in? What circumstances and events would come about for their return to make sense? Would we be enemies or friends?

I’d like to explore the possibilities of what could hypothetically happen given we know some Forerunners survived the firing of the HALO array.

Very curious to hear any of your thoughts on this topic.

I would love to see that the Forerunners who left the eccumene had evolved to become more human with out it’s influence over their culture. The Primordial makes reference to Forerunners and Humans being of the same species and I believe that the Domain keeping all information pertaining to Humans from Forerunners is a punishment of sorts.

As we know the domain has an intelligence and morality of it’s own , If the Forerunners and Humans are actually the same and Forerunners had for some reason cut us out of society , it would makes sense (if the Domain disagreed with the decision) that it would choose to cut off knowledge of Humans from the Forerunners.

As for what circumstances I would want them brought back in… The only thing I can think of which I would be even a little okay with is if humanity lost in war against the Flood. If the galaxy was about to be overcome and all hope had utterly failed, and then the Forerunners returned to help, having decided that leaving the Milky Way free of their guilt and meddling wasn’t worth it being lost.

Anything else just isn’t enough reason for them to come back. If they returned for some petty reason like the Created or just because they felt like it, then it would cheapen everything the Forerunners stand for in the story. Even in the scenario I mentioned before it would cheapen it.

Heck, even the Didact’s return cheapened it to an extent (but his character was worth it, I think), and the revelation that there are surviving Forerunners outside the Galaxy is I think very damaging to the story. Just learning about the Forerunners at all the way we have necessitated the creation of the idea of the Precursors, who are the new “unknowable mystery” that the Forerunners were before Halo 4’s extended fiction. Meeting the Forerunners on any real scale would just destroy their role in the universe.

The Forerunners are supposed to be gone, extinct. Having survivors, and even possibly having a strong new population of them all these thousands of years later in another part of the nearby universe… It’s not the same as the story we’d had until then, where the story of the Forerunners was a tragic tale of an entire race of people who even with their god-like technology and knowledge couldn’t defeat the Flood, which just elevated how terrifying the Flood is all the much more. It’s not as chilling or foreboding when there’s that spark of hope that the Flood could “miss a spot” and let some of them escape. That absolute power of the Flood was supposed to be what made the firing of the Array so essential, supposed to be what left the Forerunners as a species no option but to burn the galaxy with them to even hopefully defeat the Flood.

> 2533274884722193;3:
> The Forerunners are supposed to be gone, extinct.

No they aren’t. The original Halo games, and some novels, had attempted to establish that humans were the Forerunner. Since humans and Forerunner were one and the same, they were never extinct. The terminals in Halo 3 would end up changing this narrative and establish that humans and Forerunner were a separate species, but it would also acknowledge that Forerunner on the Ark survived because it was out of the Halo’s range. Those Forerunner would leave, carrying a record of what had happened to the galaxy.

Where the Forerunner have gone has been left open for nearly a decade and I don’t understand why some people would complain when we’re finally going somewhere with them.

> 2533274793749599;4:
> > 2533274884722193;3:
> > The Forerunners are supposed to be gone, extinct.
>
>
> No they aren’t. The original Halo games, and some novels, had attempted to establish that humans were the Forerunner. Since humans and Forerunner were one and the same, they were never extinct. The terminals in Halo 3 would end up changing this narrative and establish that humans and Forerunner were a separate species, but it would also acknowledge that Forerunner on the Ark survived because it was out of the Halo’s range. Those Forerunner would leave, carrying a record of what had happened to the galaxy.
>
> Where the Forerunner have gone has been left open for nearly a decade and I don’t understand why some people would complain when we’re finally going somewhere with them.

Yeah, I considered addressing the humans-being-Forerunner point in my post, but it was already getting a bit lengthy. I see that as different because in that relationship the humans of the present are still different from the Forerunners of the past, although they are physically descended. The new humans, born anew after the end of the pre-Flood galaxy, is its own new civilization. It’s not simply Forerunners picking up where they left off, it’s a new people coming who would have eventually inherited the old power the Forerunner left for them to reclaim in their stead. Present humanity was more a child of the Forerunners than they were Forerunner themselves. They were outside the legacy of guilt and failure which the Forerunners had left behind when they fired the Halos. Forerunners returning from outside the galaxy would simply be Forerunners picking up where they left off, and I feel that would detract in a serious way the role the Forerunners have played in the story up to this point, like a character whose story arc revolved around a dead parent suddenly finding out in the end the parent was alive all this time and had returned to them. Personally, I find that cheap.

As far as the Halo 3 Terminals news that Forerunners could still be out there goes, I do think was it not good for the story even back then. The dead parent of the previous example hasn’t come back… but we learn they’re not dead. That’s just a kind of an odd narrative (thankfully the separation of Forerunners and humans alleviates this somewhat) given the circumstances of Halo 3.

In regard to the topic of this thread, I just think that them returning would make this problem (which is simply how I view things personally) worse. Learning about the Forerunners has been fun. Reading the books and seeing the Didact and the Librarian has been interesting. I think it’s been worth it in the long run for us to “go somewhere” with the Forerunners, for sure. But I do think those outside the galaxy should stay there. As Filial Devotion said, in even those same Terminals:

I do not look to trade my life in order to preserve our past, but to secure the future—and if not ours, then the future of some [culture] yet to come.

*Isn’t sacrifice in the interest of others what you spoke of as being so noble? Should I have allowed another to bloody his hands while I remained safe behind a [shield of privilege]?*Isn’t this sentiment made much less poignant when it turns out the past of the Forerunners is in fact preserved (albeit outside the galaxy), and their people are in fact now allowing the current galaxy to bloody their hands, and against the very same threat, while these other Forerunners to this day remain safe? Not behind a shield of privilege, perhaps, but a shield of apathy as they skulk outside the galaxy? I’m not saying this damage is new or recent to the Halo universe, I just think it’s unfortunate and wouldn’t like to see it cascade even further with a true Forerunner resurgence.