The Forerunner designs are disappointing...

Now before you go all crazy on me, let me just say that Halo is really the only game I ever play and I’m for sure going to be buying the game. I made this thread for constructive criticism for 343, not because I want to be a -Yoink-. The environments of Halo 4 look great, the story seems like it’s going to be really interesting and the overall graphics are awesome, but the one thing I feel like 343 failed at was the artistic design of the Forerunner defense creatures and here’s why:

The Forerunner defense things are video game monsters. When you look at them you don’t think “That’s a machine built by an advanced alien race”, you think “Some artist wanted to make a video game monster.” The downfall in their design process was that they intentionally tried to make these Forerunner things scary, which ironically is what made them not so. Squinty glowing eyes, growling, heads splitting open with human skulls in them…give me a break. The reason why Sentinels from the previous Halo games were good Forerunner designs is because they had practical designs, not scary ones. 343 shifted design from a practical / functional character, which would have cool by default, to a forced “cool” and “scary” design, which isn’t (you know that person at school or work who always tries so hard to be cool but them trying so hard backfires and is actually what makes them not cool? Yeah, these character designs are just like that.)

Don’t get me wrong, Bungie had their fair share of mis-designs when they made Halo (Spectre, Hornet, those damn giant indigenous species on Reach, etc), and 343 has even improved on some designs, such as the Elephant, which looks a hell of a lot better than the one Bungie put in Halo 3, but where 343 let their creativity slip was with the Forerunners. I know that this criticism will have zero impact on Halo 4, but maybe 343 will realize the poor character design and do what Bungie did when they realized they had a poor design in their game: re-design. Bungie made some mistakes here and there and I know that 343 will be no different since that’s just life, but hopefully for Halo 5 they’ll redo these Forerunner creatures (if they’re still in the game) to take them from video game character-ish monsters to a practically believable advanced alien enemy.

That’s just my 2 cents though. Flame away.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not post spam.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

de gustibus non disputandum est

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Well, you can always stick with Halo Reach (lol).

Haters gonna Hate, and you are one of them.

In fact, Stay with reach, H4 will be more fun without you.

My opinion differs.

There not forerunners, there called Prometheans. Completely different things, even though there using the forerunner weapons.

It’s implied that they’re Forerunner Machines of war. Intimidation is a part of war. It makes sense.

Not gonna flame, 'cuz this is actually a very valid post. No demanding the death of those responsible or anything. I do have some disagreements, though.

I’d start out with saying the Huragok are a techno-organic race as well, and they look like, eh, tentacled scrotums.

The Promethean Knights are very likely not actually Forerunner. They could be entirely made from scratch, or made from the body of some other alien. The skull inside its helmet is very obviously not human when you look at it freeze-frame: it has a snout and its eye sockets are much too big.

I think they look cool, anyway.

The other stuff is about the same; very likely based off of some Forerunner creatures or made from their husks.

> There not forerunners, there called Prometheans. Completely different things, even though there using the forerunner weapons.

Prometheans are a class of Forerunner Warrior. While I don’t believe these are ACTUAL Forerunners, Prometheans are.

>

You’re either joking or a troll. If it’s the latter, go away, nobody likes you. If it’s the former, it wasn’t very funny.

Think about it this way.
If you were an advanced race and had the capabilities to produce killing machine AI’s to defend yourself.
Wouldn’t it also make sense to add a psychological impact?
Making the defenders look scary would cause adversaries to fear them.

It’s a similar concept to jagged teeth painted on WWII jet planes, etc. but on a larger scale.

They seem fine, and nothing appears human about them, there artificial intelligencies and appear robotic in nature more so than organic in a good way. They are obviously corrupted or such, the way they act is evidence of these in my opinion. They go well with what we have seen in previous Halo games when it comes to forerunner tech, but we dont know enough about them yet to say the design is flawed or something until then they are as 343 intended them to be.

Ok I see we’re ur criticism is getting at. I just would like u to be aware that one they are not forunner but promethian creatures. Which if u read the books are the civilization before the forunners. Their tech was so advanced that it had that weird elemental look. And for a explanation for the human skull thing. A forunner and promethian were structurally the same as humans. They were just different looking. Forunners had blue skin and white hair for example. And if u look at the creature with the skull u see smaller arms at the center of the body mass. This suggests that the creature is in a suit and the skull is of course it’s actual face. So yes I believe they could have put more detail in the images but their is a reason they look like that. Just so u know.

I have to agree with you. I’ve liked everything that Halo 4 has had to offer so far, except for the Promethean units, the Knights especially. I would have been fine with it if the head didn’t open up to reveal a skull. They look pretty cool and all, but they don’t really give off that Forerunner vibe that you’d expect.

I hope they include sentinels either way.

Those arn’t forunner there the enemies of the forunners so there more aggresive then the peaceful guys that made the halo’s. So if i was going to make an aggresive enemy I would i dont know try to make them frightening. GO 343!

> Ok I see we’re ur criticism is getting at. I just would like u to be aware that one they are not forunner but promethian creatures. Which if u read the books are the civilization before the forunners. Their tech was so advanced that it had that weird elemental look. And for a explanation for the human skull thing. A forunner and promethian were structurally the same as humans. They were just different looking. Forunners had blue skin and white hair for example. And if u look at the creature with the skull u see smaller arms at the center of the body mass. This suggests that the creature is in a suit and the skull is of course it’s actual face. So yes I believe they could have put more detail in the images but their is a reason they look like that. Just so u know.

…what?

You mixed up Precursors and Prometheans. Prometheans are high-ranking Forerunner warriors, not a seperate race.

They look fine to me except that little tiny thing that likes to catch your grenades and throw them back.

You know the EVA ? Emile's helmet from Reach? Same concept.

>

This is a HORRIBLE response…

> Think about it this way.
> If you were an advanced race and had the capabilities to produce killing machine AI’s to defend yourself.
> Wouldn’t it also make sense to add a psychological impact?
> Making the defenders look scary would cause adversaries to fear them.
>
> It’s a similar concept to jagged teeth painted on WWII jet planes, etc. but on a larger scale.

Yeah, that would make sense but I guess I just disagree with the route they took. Not that I’m an artist or anything, but I just feel like if something is made functional before it’s made to look nice or scary then you’ll almost always achieve the nice or scary look as a natural result.

I think the design looks amazing

I think the design looks amazing