The Flood (Not that scary on anniversary, how can we change this)

First of all I’ll clarify that I’m not condemning Anniversary, 343 did an incredible job and totally nailed the remake that we all wanted, THANKS 343.

Now with that out of the way I’ll begin.

The flood in CE Anniversary look great, but the atmosphere wasn’t scary enough for me. If the flood are to return in Halo 4,5, or any other Halo game and/or remake in the future they need to be as terrifying as they can possibly be. I have 2 favorite scary flood moments.

1. Going REALLY deep into the forerunner facility as the arbiter and sliding down into the level full of brown fog.

2. Going out into the snow, hearing the distant shriek of the flood and then watching them charge in.

4 things are needed to make the flood scary.

Firstly they need to look mangled and horrible, they always look like that so that part is nailed.

Secondly the music needs to sound twisted (Ancient Machine on Halo 2) and psychologically intimidating.

Third comes the sounds they make, the simple growl isn’t too scary but when they give out a wheezey howl and shriek from the distance, it’s terrifying. They need to sound like they have smoked 500 cigarettes ON TOP of being infected with an alien parasite.

And lastly comes the setting. Halo CE:Anniversary is very colourful, From other games I’d say that a bleak color scheme of browns and greys makes the situation more scary. Grey is a check in a forerunner building, and compliment that with toning down the blue lights on the walls and filling the room with a thick brownish fog coupled with the aforementioned horrific noises and they will surely scare the living daylight out of anybody.

This is however assuming the flood are going to be in Halo 4, it could happen, it might not. I’m opting to try and avoid spoilers by all means necessary. I just thought I’d share with you my views on the flood.

> Third comes the sounds they make, the simple growl isn’t too scary but when they give out a wheezey howl and shriek from the distance, it’s terrifying. They need to sound like they have smoked 500 cigarettes ON TOP of being infected with an alien parasite.

Sooo… What you are saying is that the flood need to resemble the small old guy from the movie Colinwood, only infected and out for galactic domination…

Dear God what have we unleashed?

> > Third comes the sounds they make, the simple growl isn’t too scary but when they give out a wheezey howl and shriek from the distance, it’s terrifying. They need to sound like they have smoked 500 cigarettes ON TOP of being infected with an alien parasite.
>
> Sooo… What you are saying is that the flood need to resemble the small old guy from the movie Colinwood, only infected and out for galactic domination…
>
>
> Dear God what have we unleashed?

Ever played dead space? those things that pollute the air and have a proper wheezey sound. That’s a disheartening noise my friend.

> Ever played dead space? those things that pollute the air and have a proper wheezey sound. That’s a disheartening noise my friend.

I have indeed played dead space, not without soiling myself, however, so your point is taken.

the flood are so boring to fight.

Flood were never really scary in the first place, just mildly disturbing.

The flood: not that scary. Ever.

What’s scary is I’m about to leave work and continue playing the campaign on Truth and Reconcilation where you first enter the ship. Invis elites are the scariest and most annoying creation in the Halo universe. They own my face in Reach Firefight and now in CEA.

-Yoink-

> What’s scary is I’m about to leave work and continue playing the campaign on Truth and Reconcilation where you first enter the ship. Invis elites are the scariest and most annoying creation in the Halo universe. They own my face in Reach Firefight and now in CEA.
>
> Yoink!

Speaking of those God awful things… I was playing that mission with a buddy last night, and the first invis elite you encounter on the ship got a killing frenzy on me.

It was a dark day for halo.

The flood were never terrifying, but they are at least meant to make you sit on the edge of your seat. And who says in future games 343 can’t take these tips and MAKE them the scariest damn enemies the gaming world has ever seen, nothing’s stopping them. As long as they’re REALLY disturbing and make horrific noises in dark foggy places with an eerie soundtrack, there’s nothing in the way of them achieving that.

If I’m ever to encounter the flood in future Halo games, they need to be terrifying, and that’s essentially what I’m saying in this whole post.

> Speaking of those God awful things… I was playing that mission with a buddy last night, and the first invis elite you encounter on the ship got a killing frenzy on me.
>
> It was a dark day for halo.

Dude, you do know I was LMFAO the whole time.

> > What’s scary is I’m about to leave work and continue playing the campaign on Truth and Reconcilation where you first enter the ship. Invis elites are the scariest and most annoying creation in the Halo universe. They own my face in Reach Firefight and now in CEA.
> >
> > Yoink!
>
> Speaking of those God awful things… I was playing that mission with a buddy last night, and the first invis elite you encounter on the ship got a killing frenzy on me.
>
> It was a dark day for halo.

I not too long ago did that part (just rescued Keyes), and it was pretty frustrating. On Legendary, you sometimes get multiple sword-wielding Elites randomly showing up at once (and this is before the climax). I was like ‘you can not be serious’. They’re jumping around the place, gutting my allies. Sometimes I just was in awe at how frightfully efficient they were.

> > Speaking of those God awful things… I was playing that mission with a buddy last night, and the first invis elite you encounter on the ship got a killing frenzy on me.
> >
> > It was a dark day for halo.
>
> Dude, you do know I was LMFAO the whole time.

Yes, I remember, you sick -Yoink!-

> If I’m ever to encounter the flood in future Halo games, they need to be terrifying, and that’s essentially what I’m saying in this whole post.

So basically you want them to look like Chloe Kardashian?

its called growing up.
The flood look more decayed and rotten now more than ever with the reach skins.
Just because the 20 year old you reacts less to them than the 10 year old you does not mean they are less scary than they were.