The Flood Look. (fan explaination)

I’ve never seen as Flood infection form get ahold of a Spartan before.

I imagined that it’d look a lot like this. <= There’s a link there. Click that. Please excuse my colored text.

Why? Why no antannae? Why the scary helmet of skin and bone? Why the massive crab hand?

I’ll give you my personal theory.

For centuries, for the most part, mankind has been usin’ weapons. In Halo lore, historically, humans had achieved a grasp of firearms and high level technology, that RIVALED the Forerunners, hundreds of thousands of years ago.

The Flood was adapted to us long before they jumped Sargent Johnson and his gang in Combat Evolved.

We’re usually right handed. So when holding a rifle, part of our neck and shoulder are relatively exposed. That’s probably where an attacker roughly the size of a softball with tentacles would go if it wanted fast access to our nervous system. From there they start drilling to your chest cavity. It’s not pretty.

Those wounds are APPARENT on the infected Spartans. Note the grotesque hump on the right shoulder. That’s probably the entry wound.

Why no antannae?

Because with a Spartan, they had more to work with.

The grotesque hump was probably caused by the recycling of something that Spartans have in abundance. Bone stuff. Carbon, Calcium, whatever.

Their skeletons are practically saturated in chemicals that harden bones. The flood probably reused a healthy amount to cover all access points, along with the titanium bodysuit that Spartans are so fond of.

That would explain the wicked crab claw, whereas normal humans get a dinky little bone blade. It’d explain the dope helmet, as the flood would just chuck some calcium to protect the trooper’s head.

I think their new look is a work of art.

Grim, grinning, disgusting, rated M for holy s*** ART.

So, my Waypoint friends, thoughts? Am I the only one who is giving this much consideration?

They need more bird feathers. Then I’ll be happy.

Well my fan explanation is a lot more short and sweet.

Artistic liberties, but your explanation is interesting

The art director is a former Id employee. The Flood look like Imps from The Doom reboot for a good reason.

> Well my fan explanation is a lot more short and sweet.
>
> Artistic liberties, but your explanation is interesting

That’s certainly a rational, logical way of lookin’ at it.

But when it comes to Halo, for me, Lore > Logic.

Artistic liberty or not, they really hit it out of the part when it comes to Flood Spartans. :3

> They need more bird feathers. Then I’ll be happy.

Flood Moa mode anyone?

assuming that the scientists at ONI could predict how a flood infection would mutate a Spartan and that was an accurate representation…

Those Spartans are obviously not infected by infection forms but by spores. Spartans have a far denser Biomass and FAR harder bones than a human, makes sense for the flood to use them as biological armor and weapons as opposed to the tentacles and for the combat form to be less fluffy than the usual

My conclusion is that some older generation flood spores took on some of the forerunner DNA traits or something along those lines

> They need more bird feathers. Then I’ll be happy.

pmsl.

> 1 assuming that the scientists at ONI could predict how a flood infection would mutate a Spartan and that was an accurate representation…
>
> Those Spartans are obviously not infected by infection forms nut by spores. Spartans have a far denser Biomass and FAR harder bones than a human, makes sense for the flood to use them as biological armor and weapons and for the combat form to be less fluffy than the usual

Ah HAH, a valid argument!

However, if you observe the infected Spartans, they’re dressed up to the nines in their body suits. A sign that they were armored before infection.

As once noted by Guilty Spark, Mjolnir armor protects the Spartans from climate shifts. Master Chief was perfectly safe from Flood Spores, and yet marines, sangheili and

Forerunners outside of their skins (if you read the new Greg Bear book)are perfectly susceptable due to their lack of filtered air and exposed flesh.

You can see the tear marks by the right arm. Signs of trauma, struggle, and penetration on the body.

Why their armor’s hard points were abandoned is sort of a mystery to me. It may be because the armor is so danged heavy that the infected Spartan’s first instinct was to peel it all off for mobility.

But I may be reaching, and I find your theory both valid, logical, and loretacular.

> Why their armor’s hard points were abandoned is sort of a mystery to me. It may be because the armor is so danged heavy that the infected Spartan’s first instinct was to peel it all off for mobility.

MJOLNIR is hooked up to a Spartan’s neural system, right? And whenever the Flood overtakes a hosts body, I believe they scramble the nervous system. Perhaps this scrambling renders the armour useless, so the Flood form just casts it off?

> I’ve never seen as Flood infection form get ahold of a Spartan before.
>
> I imagined that it’d look a lot like this. <= There’s a link there. Click that. Please excuse my colored text.
>
> Why? Why no antannae? Why the scary helmet of skin and bone? Why the massive crab hand?
>
> I’ll give you my personal theory.
>
> For centuries, for the most part, mankind has been usin’ weapons. In Halo lore, historically, humans had achieved a grasp of firearms and high level technology, that RIVALED the Forerunners, hundreds of thousands of years ago.
>
> The Flood was adapted to us long before they jumped Sargent Johnson and his gang in Combat Evolved.
>
> We’re usually right handed. So when holding a rifle, part of our neck and shoulder are relatively exposed. That’s probably where an attacker roughly the size of a softball with tentacles would go if it wanted fast access to our nervous system. From there they start drilling to your chest cavity. It’s not pretty.
>
> Those wounds are APPARENT on the infected Spartans. Note the grotesque hump on the right shoulder. That’s probably the entry wound.
>
> Why no antannae?
>
> Because with a Spartan, they had more to work with.
>
> The grotesque hump was probably caused by the recycling of something that Spartans have in abundance. Bone stuff. Carbon, Calcium, whatever.
>
> Their skeletons are practically saturated in chemicals that harden bones. The flood probably reused a healthy amount to cover all access points, along with the titanium bodysuit that Spartans are so fond of.
>
> That would explain the wicked crab claw, whereas normal humans get a dinky little bone blade. It’d explain the dope helmet, as the flood would just chuck some calcium to protect the trooper’s head.
>
> I think their new look is a work of art.
>
> Grim, grinning, disgusting, rated M for holy s*** ART.
>
> So, my Waypoint friends, thoughts? Am I the only one who is giving this much consideration?

well, since it is still taking place in the holodeck of the Infinity, and these spartans arent really infected, its probably just the UNSC interpretation of what a well developed infected spartan should look like.

you know, train the spartans against something stronger than a spartan?

Flood Spores explain why there’s no Infection Forms. The Claw is just the giant tentacle, but in infected Spartan form.

Doesn’t need a bigger explanation than that.

Well I really like this explanation, it makes a lot of sense! A good read, for sure.

> > 1 assuming that the scientists at ONI could predict how a flood infection would mutate a Spartan and that was an accurate representation…
> >
> > Those Spartans are obviously not infected by infection forms nut by spores. Spartans have a far denser Biomass and FAR harder bones than a human, makes sense for the flood to use them as biological armor and weapons and for the combat form to be less fluffy than the usual
>
> Ah HAH, a valid argument!
>
> However, if you observe the infected Spartans, they’re dressed up to the nines in their body suits. A sign that they were armored before infection.
>
> As once noted by Guilty Spark, Mjolnir armor protects the Spartans from climate shifts. Master Chief was perfectly safe from Flood Spores, and yet marines, sangheili and
>
> Forerunners outside of their skins (if you read the new Greg Bear book)are perfectly susceptable due to their lack of filtered air and exposed flesh.
>
> You can see the tear marks by the right arm. Signs of trauma, struggle, and penetration on the body.
>
> Why their armor’s hard points were abandoned is sort of a mystery to me. It may be because the armor is so danged heavy that the infected Spartan’s first instinct was to peel it all off for mobility.
>
> But I may be reaching, and I find your theory both valid, logical, and loretacular.

If you remember reading The Flood an infection form found the soft spot in Chief’s neck. He’d have been a flood had Cortana not EMP’d him with Chief’s shields. They probably got taken down in a similar fashion, and I doubt they have guardian angels.

That’s a pretty enlightening explanation. Thank you for not playing the -Yoinking!- holodeck card.