The flood is really necessary ?

I think the flood is a very special enemy than the forerunners but is really necessary the comeback of this enemies in the future of halo ?
-Sorry for the basic English guys ^^

Sure. Still bringing it back it too soon and killing it again only to bring it back later would risk it making it cartoon villain-esque enemy and they must be wise about it. I’ll say take this Created story to the end before bringing it back. Though they might go with the logic plague story which might bring back the flood soon.

I believe the Flood will return at the end of the franchise. Have the Primordial come back one last time and the parasite for the very end.

> 2533274939834264;1:
> I think the flood is a very special enemy than the forerunners but is really necessary the comeback of this enemies in the future of halo ?
> -Sorry for the basic English guys ^^

My position seems to be a minority (at least among the more vocal commenters). I believe the Flood’s role is over, and that the Created are the next step of the Precursors’ testing process to determine when humanity will be deemed worthy to hold the Mantle of Responsibility.

> 2533274883501878;4:
> > 2533274939834264;1:
> > I think the flood is a very special enemy than the forerunners but is really necessary the comeback of this enemies in the future of halo ?
> > -Sorry for the basic English guys ^^
>
> My position seems to be a minority (at least among the more vocal commenters). I believe the Flood’s role is over, and that the Created are the next step of the Precursors’ testing process to determine when humanity will be deemed worthy to hold the Mantle of Responsibility.

I’d be pretty disappointed if the story ended with humanity attaining then Mantle. We’re no better than any other species and one species rule hasn’t worked.

> 2533274812652989;5:
> > 2533274883501878;4:
> > > 2533274939834264;1:
> > > I think the flood is a very special enemy than the forerunners but is really necessary the comeback of this enemies in the future of halo ?
> > > -Sorry for the basic English guys ^^
> >
> > My position seems to be a minority (at least among the more vocal commenters). I believe the Flood’s role is over, and that the Created are the next step of the Precursors’ testing process to determine when humanity will be deemed worthy to hold the Mantle of Responsibility.
>
> I’d be pretty disappointed if the story ended with humanity attaining then Mantle. We’re no better than any other species and one species rule hasn’t worked.

Keep in mind that the Precursors’ version of the Mantle isn’t what we’d typically call “ruling”. It’s being as hands off as possible, intervening only in defense of other races, and only when their continued existence is at risk.

As for how the story ends, there are only three options:
1: the story ends before the fate of humanity is determined.
2: the story ends with humanity failing the final test and getting wiped out.
3: the story ends with humanity passing the final test and attaining the Mantle of Responsibility.

Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.

Maybe. Depends on how they’re brought back in and for what reason(s). If its part of the rising action of the final Master Chief Halo, where everything the entire series has built on falls in place in one epic fashion, then sure, bring em back.

As for JNDreher, I’d like to see humanity prevail and fail at the end. Remember that Halo is an epic. Epics are defined by not just the villains, but the heroes and how they save the day. Say humanity ends up doing some bad things, yada yada yada, but at the end finds the epic finale. So I’d say ending the series, or at least John’s story, with the Flood somehow in it on a good note is still necessary.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.

Mythos clarifies that a bit. According to it they did decide to exterminate the Forerunners but only after the Forerunners wrongfully claimed the Mantle and got too proud and arrogant as a result and began doing the same -Yoink- we saw from them millions of years later.

> 2533274869999832;9:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.
>
> Mythos clarifies that a bit. According to it they did decide to exterminate the Forerunners but only after the Forerunners wrongfully claimed the Mantle and got too proud and arrogant as a result and began doing the same -Yoink- we saw from them millions of years later.

And yet according to the Primordial, the Flood was meant to bring all life into an everlasting cacophony of pain and misery sshe nobody could ever rise against the Precursors again. A species capable of formulating a plan like that as retribution after what the Forerunners did is still hardly benevolent.

I wonder if the mantle of the responsibility might be as misunderstood concept as the Great journey was to the Covenant.

> 2533274812652989;10:
> > 2533274869999832;9:
> > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.
> >
> > Mythos clarifies that a bit. According to it they did decide to exterminate the Forerunners but only after the Forerunners wrongfully claimed the Mantle and got too proud and arrogant as a result and began doing the same -Yoink- we saw from them millions of years later.
>
> And yet according to the Primordial, the Flood was meant to bring all life into an everlasting cacophony of pain and misery sshe nobody could ever rise against the Precursors again. A species capable of formulating a plan like that as retribution after what the Forerunners did is still hardly benevolent.

We can’t trust the Primordial’s word alone given he’s well… the Primordial. It’s implied the went insane after the Forerunners started attacking them. I don’t consider their retribution benevolent either (assuming that is indeed their intention and not the Primordial acting by itself or twisting it’s brethrens’ intentions) but we can’t understand the level and scale the Precursors think on. Their thought processes and morality are completely alien to us. We don’t even know what the true version of the Mantle is which is probably what the Precursors are operating.on. The Ur-Didact put it best when he said our notions of morality, thinking and our concepts of good and evil are irrelevant and meaningless when it comes to the Precursors.

> 2533274869999832;12:
> > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > 2533274869999832;9:
> > > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.
> > >
> > > Mythos clarifies that a bit. According to it they did decide to exterminate the Forerunners but only after the Forerunners wrongfully claimed the Mantle and got too proud and arrogant as a result and began doing the same -Yoink- we saw from them millions of years later.
> >
> > And yet according to the Primordial, the Flood was meant to bring all life into an everlasting cacophony of pain and misery sshe nobody could ever rise against the Precursors again. A species capable of formulating a plan like that as retribution after what the Forerunners did is still hardly benevolent.
>
> We can’t trust the Primordial’s word alone given he’s well… the Primordial. It’s implied the went insane after the Forerunners started attacking them. I don’t consider their retribution benevolent either (assuming that is indeed their intention and not the Primordial acting by itself or twisting it’s brethrens’ intentions) but we can’t understand the level and scale the Precursors think on. Their thought processes and morality are completely alien to us. We don’t even know what the true version of the Mantle is which is probably what the Precursors are operating.on. The Ur-Didact put it best when he said our notions of morality, thinking and our concepts of good and evil are irrelevant and meaningless when it comes to the Precursors.

Primordial’s state of mind aside, that’d be the ultimate end result of the Flood. If anything the Flood is the embodiment of the Mantle a species it actually is, a philosophy bringing stagnation upon entire species at the hands of one. No one species has the capacity to effectively rule over the other, no matter how hands off they promise to be.

I mean, seriously, what qualifies humanity to uphold the Mantle? We’re a divisive bunch, just as divisive as any other species.

> 2533274812652989;13:
> > 2533274869999832;12:
> > > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > > 2533274869999832;9:
> > > > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > > Given the Precursors would exterminate life they felt was unworthy, I think the idea the Mantle is hands off is a bit optimistic.
> > > >
> > > > Mythos clarifies that a bit. According to it they did decide to exterminate the Forerunners but only after the Forerunners wrongfully claimed the Mantle and got too proud and arrogant as a result and began doing the same -Yoink- we saw from them millions of years later.
> > >
> > > And yet according to the Primordial, the Flood was meant to bring all life into an everlasting cacophony of pain and misery sshe nobody could ever rise against the Precursors again. A species capable of formulating a plan like that as retribution after what the Forerunners did is still hardly benevolent.
> >
> > We can’t trust the Primordial’s word alone given he’s well… the Primordial. It’s implied the went insane after the Forerunners started attacking them. I don’t consider their retribution benevolent either (assuming that is indeed their intention and not the Primordial acting by itself or twisting it’s brethrens’ intentions) but we can’t understand the level and scale the Precursors think on. Their thought processes and morality are completely alien to us. We don’t even know what the true version of the Mantle is which is probably what the Precursors are operating.on. The Ur-Didact put it best when he said our notions of morality, thinking and our concepts of good and evil are irrelevant and meaningless when it comes to the Precursors.
>
> Primordial’s state of mind aside, that’d be the ultimate end result of the Flood. If anything the Flood is the embodiment of the Mantle a species it actually is, a philosophy bringing stagnation upon entire species at the hands of one. No one species has the capacity to effectively rule over the other, no matter how hands off they promise to be.
>
> I mean, seriously, what qualifies humanity to uphold the Mantle? We’re a divisive bunch, just as divisive as any other species.

I don’t think the Flood is the embodiment of the Mantle as the Precursors’ practiced it, maybe a twisted version but not the original version they upheld which involved which involved “the joy of life’s interaction with cosmos” or a celebration of life" which promoted diversity among biological life and free will and individuality - something that the Flood is the exact antithesis of given it’s end goal of eternal misery and suffering and stripping life of individuality. I see the Flood as the direct opposite of what the Precursors’ version of the Mantle is. As for what makes humanity worthy of it, I don’t know yet nor does anyone else.

We know the remaining Forerunners chose us to claim in the hopes of redemption through us, but we don’t know for sure if the Precursors’ actually chose us originally. That info came from the Primordial who told that to the Ur-Didact who it was trying to corrupt and drive mad and what better to do that then tell him his most deep-held beliefs about the Precursors’, the Mantle and humanity are lies and/or wrong.

I don’t trust that info completely just yet. If it is true though we don’t know the Precursors’ reasons yet for picking us over everyone else. The unofficial reason if true however is that Halo is made for a human audience and as humans we generally want ourselves to be particularly important in the story and have a vital role to play in it and having us as the inheritors of the Gods of the setting and the story revolve around us claiming it while defeating those who would try and stop us claiming it or trying to take it from us would fulfill that need for us.

> 2533274939834264;1:
> I think the flood is a very special enemy than the forerunners but is really necessary the comeback of this enemies in the future of halo ?
> -Sorry for the basic English guys ^^

The Flood is the main cause of the creation of the Halos, and we all know what happened after…