The Flood In Halo Wars - How Is It Canon and How Did It Come About?

I have been confused on this for a while. I never really got the story behind Halo Wars, and it occured to me not too long ago that the Flood in the game shouldn’t be there because the Covenant re-released the Flood in 2552 on Installation 04 and Halo Wars took place way before this time. I did a little research on it and all I could come up with was that the Flood was already on that planet before the Spirit of Fire and it’s crew landed there. My questions are how is this canon?, What did they do to escape/destroy the Flood?, and Why wasn’t the news of the Flood spread from this incident before 2552?

Please give me some more insight as to this situation, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Cassandra 075

It’s easily something the Forerunners overlooked. But yes, the Flood would have already been there, Spirit of Fire shows up, and then limps back in the general direction of home, which ensures nobody knows about the Flood until Halo CE.

It’s likely the Flood knew the location of every Shield World once MB switched sides, they would have seeded all of them. These Flood either turned feral once the Gravemind was destroyed or went into some sort of hibernation mode, awakening once food (The Covenant and UNSC) arrived.

> It’s likely the Flood knew the location of every Shield World once MB switched sides, they would have seeded all of them. These Flood either turned feral once the Gravemind was destroyed or went into some sort of hibernation mode, awakening once food (The Covenant and UNSC) arrived.

CRYPTUM

Not really, atleast not at first.

> It’s easily something the Forerunners overlooked. But yes, the Flood would have already been there, Spirit of Fire shows up, and then limps back in the general direction of home, which ensures nobody knows about the Flood until Halo CE.

This has been the most helpful so far, thank you very much for your insight. If anyone has any more information about this they can post, please do. I will check back regularly.

If you read the timeline the crew ect of the Spirt of fire are “getting infected by some unknown virus blah blah” Hmm, any guesses what that could possibly be? (Please note the sarcasm)

Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.

> If you read the timeline the crew ect of the Spirt of fire are “getting infected by some unknown virus blah blah” Hmm, any guesses what that could possibly be? (Please note the sarcasm)

They’re not getting infected, they are infected, and they get burned, they also decide against studying any infected because they don’t have any quarantine facilities. So the Spirit of Fire stays nice and clean.

> Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.

Which story is this implied in?

> Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.

To me the Mona Lisa only seemed to indicate that ONI knew about the Flood after Chief and Cortana got back to Earth, then they sent a team out there to Alpha Halo’s wreckage, and one of the Elites they picked up was infected, then Dr. Smith started experimenting with it on the Mona Lisa, and as all of use who have read that story know it all went to hell shortly thereafter.

> > Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.
>
> Which story is this implied in?

The mona lisa implies that seeing how they are in the soell system studying the flood during the time of first strike.

And MB knew nothing of the shield worlds, didact made them after MB went rampant.

It is canon because the SoF “never made it back” AKA Oni detained them

If you notice through the game, the UNSC forces have no idea what the Flood is, nor is it ever mentioned by name. The seperation of the Spirit of Fire from the main canon (chronologically and spatially), provides game play without really interferring with the established canon.

> The seperation of the Spirit of Fire from the main canon (chronologically and spatially), provides game play without really interferring with the established canon.

And this allows Halo Wars to become part of the canon itself without interfering with already established canon.

> > > Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.
> >
> > Which story is this implied in?
>
> The mona lisa implies that seeing how they are in the soell system studying the flood during the time of first strike.
>
>
> And MB knew nothing of the shield worlds, didact made them after MB went rampant.
>
> It is canon because the SoF “never made it back” AKA Oni detained them

The Mona Lisa takes place in October of 2552, just before that start of Halo 2 (sometime before High Charity and the entire Covenant Fleet showed up). By this time, the Chief would have gotten back to Earth and been debriefed about Halo and what happened there. So, ONI did not know about the flood until after the events of Halo CE.

Also, Mendicant Bias knew the locations of the Shield Worlds (at least some of them), so it’s entirely possible and likely that many were infected with flood life (http://www.halopedian.com/Shield_World).

So, as for the issue of the canon of Halo Wars: it does not interfere with known story events. The Human forces never made it back to UNSC space to warn anyone about the flood, and it was never stated whether or not the Covenant had knowledge of the flood prior to the events of Halo CE. If they did, it was likely known to a select few. Hell, in Ghosts of Onyx, which takes place after Halo CE, during Halo 2, there are dozens of Covenant forces that had no knowledge of the flood until it was “discovered” on Delta Halo.

> > > > Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.
> > >
> > > Which story is this implied in?
> >
> > The mona lisa implies that seeing how they are in the soell system studying the flood during the time of first strike.
> >
> >
> > And MB knew nothing of the shield worlds, didact made them after MB went rampant.
> >
> > It is canon because the SoF “never made it back” AKA Oni detained them
>
> The Mona Lisa takes place in October of 2552, just before that start of Halo 2 (sometime before High Charity and the entire Covenant Fleet showed up). By this time, the Chief would have gotten back to Earth and been debriefed about Halo and what happened there. So, ONI did not know about the flood until after the events of Halo CE.
>
> Also, Mendicant Bias knew the locations of the Shield Worlds (at least some of them), so it’s entirely possible and likely that many were infected with flood life (http://www.halopedian.com/Shield_World).
>
> So, as for the issue of the canon of Halo Wars: it does not interfere with known story events. The Human forces never made it back to UNSC space to warn anyone about the flood, and it was never stated whether or not the Covenant had knowledge of the flood prior to the events of Halo CE. If they did, it was likely known to a select few. Hell, in Ghosts of Onyx, which takes place after Halo CE, during Halo 2, there are dozens of Covenant forces that had no knowledge of the flood until it was “discovered” on Delta Halo.

The only issue is that the mona lisa does not give direct dates and the prisoner ship had to have been there before the red horse got there (which is in octoberish)

And never ever ever go off anything based off halopedian, ever, i am going off halo cryptum. In the book Didact said he was going to start making his shieldworlds, this was at the very end of the book after MB switched.

And it’s grey101 from bungie, it’s been awhile toa smileface

> In the book Didact said he was going to start making his shieldworlds, this was at the very end of the book after MB switched.

Not quite right. Page 339 states “You refused to give Faber what he needed to activate all the Contender Class AIs. You refused to give him the locations of all your Shield Worlds.

He had Shield Worlds already made and he refused to tell the Master Builder where they all were. This quote also means there are more than one Contender Class AI out there would could be a hint to what we shall meet in Halo 4.

> > > > > Also, read Halo Evolutions. It tells that ONI could have already known about the flood but kept it secret until Halo CE.
> > > >
> > > > Which story is this implied in?
> > >
> > > The mona lisa implies that seeing how they are in the soell system studying the flood during the time of first strike.
> > >
> > >
> > > And MB knew nothing of the shield worlds, didact made them after MB went rampant.
> > >
> > > It is canon because the SoF “never made it back” AKA Oni detained them
> >
> > The Mona Lisa takes place in October of 2552, just before that start of Halo 2 (sometime before High Charity and the entire Covenant Fleet showed up). By this time, the Chief would have gotten back to Earth and been debriefed about Halo and what happened there. So, ONI did not know about the flood until after the events of Halo CE.
> >
> > Also, Mendicant Bias knew the locations of the Shield Worlds (at least some of them), so it’s entirely possible and likely that many were infected with flood life (http://www.halopedian.com/Shield_World).
> >
> > So, as for the issue of the canon of Halo Wars: it does not interfere with known story events. The Human forces never made it back to UNSC space to warn anyone about the flood, and it was never stated whether or not the Covenant had knowledge of the flood prior to the events of Halo CE. If they did, it was likely known to a select few. Hell, in Ghosts of Onyx, which takes place after Halo CE, during Halo 2, there are dozens of Covenant forces that had no knowledge of the flood until it was “discovered” on Delta Halo.
>
> The only issue is that the mona lisa does not give direct dates and the prisoner ship had to have been there before the red horse got there (which is in octoberish)
>
> And never ever ever go off anything based off halopedian, ever, i am going off halo cryptum. In the book Didact said he was going to start making his shieldworlds, this was at the very end of the book after MB switched.
>
>
> And it’s grey101 from bungie, it’s been awhile toa smileface

Halopedia cites their sources. In the case of MB knowing the locations of the shield worlds, that was taken from the Halo Encyclopedia (not everyone’s fav, but still canon), and actually, at the end of Cryptum, Didact was going to reactivate his Shield Worlds and other defenses he put in place before he was placed in his Cryptum. The Shield Worlds were already there. It’s possible he constructed more (this would explain Onyx being Flood free, so far), but unknown for now.

Hey Grey. long time.

> > In the book Didact said he was going to start making his shieldworlds, this was at the very end of the book after MB switched.
>
> Not quite right. Page 339 states “You refused to give Faber what he needed to activate all the Contender Class AIs. You refused to give him the locations of all your Shield Worlds.
>
> He had Shield Worlds already made and he refused to tell the Master Builder where they all were. This quote also means there are more than one Contender Class AI out there would could be a hint to what we shall meet in Halo 4.

You guys are over doing the context, and i read the book 6 times i don’t need page numbers.

Didact was thrown into the cryptum because lost to the builders and thye built halo instead of shield worlds. He might have a small few (like under 5) beforehand but afterwards is when he is going to build all of them.

And if faber didn’t even know where the worlds were i highly doubt MB would, didact did not seem concerned about ti at the end of the book

> You guys are over doing the context, and i read the book 6 times i don’t need page numbers.
>
> Didact was thrown into the cryptum because lost to the builders and thye built halo instead of shield worlds. He might have a small few (like under 5) beforehand but afterwards is when he is going to build all of them.
>
> And if faber didn’t even know where the worlds were i highly doubt MB would, didact did not seem concerned about ti at the end of the book

I don’t know. Personally to me it seems that if the Ark was already built and operational by that point, then the Shield Worlds would have been too. We really don’t have a definitive number of Shields.

I hav’nt seen this mention yet so Ill just say it

no one knew about the flood after the events in halo wars because no one reported it. Regret left the planet after the arbitor captured anders. SO if he did find out about the flood he could not tell regret because regret already left.
The spirit of fire had no communication to the UNSC because they were to far so they would never know.
Also they never call it the flood in halo wars they say its a infection.
This is how no one elce found out and the flood were never reported.

thats a weird plot hole in the entire story that the story wrighters of halo wars found and I think we can all agree it was the best plot hole in all of halo/
The plot hole:If some one found it and never reported it how would any one know
They were a hell lot smarter the half of most story writers for most games because hey found a way to include the meanist bad guy, and the most deadly bad guy and stayed in cannon
Heck even the writers of reach broke set cannon just to be a little lazy.
The plot or story or writers of halo wars should be who make the rest of halo games