The FishStick Button layout

Anyone else use it? I play a lot of COD, and this control scheme is the exact same thing. It feels like I’m playing COD, instead of halo 4.

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing…

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing…

I didn’t like it considering scoping works completely different in Halo compared to CoD. I have just stuck with the tried and true Green Thumb I’ve been using since Halo 1.

> I’m not sure if that’s a good thing…

Have you ever quickscoped someone with a beam rifle?

> > I’m not sure if that’s a good thing…
>
> Have you ever quickscoped someone with a beam rifle?

It’s all about the “NO SCOPES” now.

> Anyone else use it? I play a lot of COD, and this control scheme is the exact same thing. It feels like I’m playing COD, instead of halo 4.

Besides “fishstick” is more borderlands controls over CoD

Tried it at one point in time for SnGs. But like someone already mentioned before me, zooming is way different in Halo compared to games like Crysis, CoD, MoH, etc.

I have been using Green Thumb myself as well. Sprint replacing Crouch on the Left Thumbstick has made it hard on a tried and true Halo vet.

Every title had Crouch as Left Thumbstick, Right Stick as Zoom. Messing with that formula and putting Crouch on the B Button has now caused everyone to Camp to there hearts content.

@IRON SAUSAGE - How do you get used to Zoom as RB? I’ve used the Right Thumbstick since CE-Reach and I find it difficult. Especially since there is no de-scope I find myself in Zoom mode longer then I need to. Or switching back when I don’t need to.

And I’m so used to Reach’s Melee Button (RB). That I keep trying to Melee people and go into Zoom mode. Vice Versa.

IDK what it is about this game but it’s making it real hard to find a Controller Layout that truly WORKS FOR ME… >.<

RECON: Can’t do B as Melee. Actually not can’t, I won’t.
BUMPER JUMPER: LB as Jump… just feels soooo alien! A is my Jump… these confuse
BOXER: I actually used this avidly in Halo 2. But I can’t do LT as Melee anymore. You throw your grenades with your LEFT arm… it just makes sense! RB too CoDish.

I personally wish they would allow for Custom controls. So I can actually try and find something that works without having to sacrifice something else.

The fact the someone can say all these CoD things about a Halo game makes me feel sad inside.

I switched to Fistick month ago, and since I’m playing lots of other games (not only CoD) which use same or similar control scheme, I’m very happy with it. While each Halo game needed to make new reflexes, now it’s the most intuitive. Switching between normal and precise aiming sensitivity with left trigger is much more comfortable than clicking analog stick (one that I’m aiming with).

My only complain is about zooming. 343i should just let decide is zoom behavior is toggle or hold - just like with crounching, otherwise it gets messy in the heat of battle. Zooming with sniper rifles needs some tweaks too.

> I switched to Fistick month ago, and since I’m playing lots of other games (not only CoD) which use same or similar control scheme, I’m very happy with it. While each Halo game needed to make new reflexes, now it’s the most intuitive. Switching between normal and precise aiming sensitivity with left trigger is much more comfortable than clicking analog stick (one that I’m aiming with).
>
> My only complain is about zooming. 343i should just let decide is zoom behavior is toggle or hold - just like with crounching, otherwise it gets messy in the heat of battle. Zooming with sniper rifles needs some tweaks too.

Thats why Ive been experimenting with Green Thumb. I too wish there was a Toggle Zoom feature.

But RB instead of RS isn’t that bad, it’s still taking some getting used to but it’s not bad. IMHO Green Thumb should’ve been the Default, it makes more sense since Sprint replaced Crouch as the LS.

> Tried it at one point in time for SnGs. But like someone already mentioned before me, zooming is way different in Halo compared to games like Crysis, CoD, MoH, etc.
>
> I have been using Green Thumb myself as well. Sprint replacing Crouch on the Left Thumbstick has made it hard on <mark>a tried and true Halo vet</mark>.
>
> Every title had Crouch as Left Thumbstick, Right Stick as Zoom. Messing with that formula and putting Crouch on the B Button has now caused everyone to Camp to there hearts content.
>
> @IRON SAUSAGE - How do you get used to Zoom as RB? I’ve used the Right Thumbstick since CE-Reach and I find it difficult. Especially since there is no de-scope I find myself in Zoom mode longer then I need to. Or switching back when I don’t need to.
>
> And I’m so used to Reach’s Melee Button (RB). That I keep trying to Melee people and go into Zoom mode. Vice Versa.
>
> IDK what it is about this game but it’s making it real hard to find a Controller Layout that truly WORKS FOR ME… >.<
>
> <mark>RECON: Can’t do B as Melee. Actually not can’t, I won’t.</mark>
> BUMPER JUMPER: LB as Jump… just feels soooo alien! A is my Jump… these confuse
> BOXER: I actually used this avidly in Halo 2. But I can’t do LT as Melee anymore. You throw your grenades with your LEFT arm… it just makes sense! RB too CoDish.
>
> I personally wish they would allow for Custom controls. So I can actually try and find something that works without having to sacrifice something else.

what kinda vet wont use B to melee?!?

0_o

I find it fun to use when I play customs with some people.

And why is it called fishsticks anyway?

> I find it fun to use when I play customs with some people.
>
> And why is it called fishsticks anyway?

There’s a standing joke that people spell Call of Duty; Cod, or COD, instead of CoD. There is a fish called Cod. So people will say how it is hard for games to be similar to a fish.

343i made the ‘Fishstick’ layout so CoD players could play Halo easier instead of the older control schemes, and also as an inside joke.

> > Tried it at one point in time for SnGs. But like someone already mentioned before me, zooming is way different in Halo compared to games like Crysis, CoD, MoH, etc.
> >
> > I have been using Green Thumb myself as well. Sprint replacing Crouch on the Left Thumbstick has made it hard on <mark>a tried and true Halo vet</mark>.
> >
> > Every title had Crouch as Left Thumbstick, Right Stick as Zoom. Messing with that formula and putting Crouch on the B Button has now caused everyone to Camp to there hearts content.
> >
> > @IRON SAUSAGE - How do you get used to Zoom as RB? I’ve used the Right Thumbstick since CE-Reach and I find it difficult. Especially since there is no de-scope I find myself in Zoom mode longer then I need to. Or switching back when I don’t need to.
> >
> > And I’m so used to Reach’s Melee Button (RB). That I keep trying to Melee people and go into Zoom mode. Vice Versa.
> >
> > IDK what it is about this game but it’s making it real hard to find a Controller Layout that truly WORKS FOR ME… >.<
> >
> > <mark>RECON: Can’t do B as Melee. Actually not can’t, I won’t.</mark>
> > BUMPER JUMPER: LB as Jump… just feels soooo alien! A is my Jump… these confuse
> > BOXER: I actually used this avidly in Halo 2. But I can’t do LT as Melee anymore. You throw your grenades with your LEFT arm… it just makes sense! RB too CoDish.
> >
> > I personally wish they would allow for Custom controls. So I can actually try and find something that works without having to sacrifice something else.
>
> what kinda vet wont use B to melee?!?
>
> 0_o

A vet who prefers to use Bumper Jumper.

> > I find it fun to use when I play customs with some people.
> >
> > And why is it called fishsticks anyway?
>
> There’s a standing joke that people spell Call of Duty; Cod, or COD, instead of CoD. There is a fish called Cod. So people will say how it is hard for games to be similar to a fish.
>
> 343i made the ‘Fishstick’ layout so CoD players could play Halo easier instead of the older control schemes, and also as an inside joke.

Makes sense. Thanks.

nope. Use recon. Too used to the B being melee. I’ve played COD and halo for a long time. Halo longer though. I can’t stand mixing controls with each game.

> what kinda vet wont use B to melee?!?
>
> 0_o

I’ve used Default in every Halo game but Halo 3. Melee is on the RB in Reach, Anniversary and Halo 4 by Default.

> <mark>RECON: Can’t do B as Melee. Actually not can’t, I won’t.</mark>
> I personally wish they would allow for Custom controls. So I can actually try and find something that works without having to sacrifice something else.

It’s not actually that bad. I played a lot of H3 so the transition from 3 to Reach was much harder than the transition from Reach to 4. Overall I feel as though it’s the least limiting control scheme out there for me, as I like having RS to zoom and LS to crouch (hold to crouch).

It does make assassinations a lot more awkward though.

Rumor has it that 343i didn’t include custom controls due to the potential number of glitches arising from button combos, but I think that’s waffle. It should definitely have been included.