The Fireteam Osiris We'll Never Have

I did a lot of thinking on this topic years ago as I was struggling to overcome my disappointment with H5’s campaign. The locations & worldbuilding they accomplished was cool but the overall experience was mainly negative for me. One of the most outstanding issues with the game is the focus on Locke in the campaign (of which enough has been talked about already) but also Fireteam Osiris broadly.

They were just awful, and I’m sorry I have to include Nathan Fillion into that statement but the chemistry was all off, the characters weak and arbitrary. I personally think the game would have been much better with a more memorable & compelling team, one that we maybe already have emotional attachments to. I think a perfect Fireteam Osiris would have been the below:

• Locke (because that was the prime new character 343i was pushing) - Buck (he would have been so much cooler if he hadn’t had a poor team dragging him down) - Jun (because he is still around…) - Sarah Palmer (we had been introduced to her already in H4 and maybe 343i could have redeemed this character)What do you think?

Jun retired from active duty in order to become “Musa’ s as.” And palmer is The spartan commander, i don’t see them in Ot.
My personal osiris-dream-team is made of Locke, Buck, Vale and Mp spartan or That intruder spartan from Halo’s comics… I remember she was a girl but not her name sorry

I think your list has potential as well although im not sure if there are any lore issues that might stop Jun or Palmer from joining up with Locke.

Either way the real key to success is to have the video game Show; Not Tell. I think Tanka and Vale are solid characters on paper but like you said the chemistry was off and I think the fault of that has to got to the script and level design. Boring exposition talking over your entire campaign wont ever build that chemistry no matter who they choose, the characters presence and actions need to be relevant to the story at hand and it needs to be shown.

> 2535456459604699;2:
> Jun retired from active duty in order to become “Musa’ s as.” And palmer is The spartan commander, i don’t see them in Ot.
> My personal osiris-dream-team is made of Locke, Buck, Vale and Mp spartan or That intruder spartan from Halo’s comics… I remember she was a girl but not her name sorry

Yeah ok so I suppose the comics and some other esoteric parts of the extended universe may disqualify characters etc. But, in all honesty they could just retcon this in order to place the game experience first. I thought ‘Olympia Vale’ and ‘Holly Tanaka’ were seriously lame characters. Locke could have been cool I suppose but ultimately everyone suffered from poor writing, and a lackluster script.

> 2533274841519598;3:
> I think your list has potential as well although im not sure if there are any lore issues that might stop Jun or Palmer from joining up with Locke.
>
> Either way the real key to success is to have the video game Show; Not Tell. I think Tanka and Vale are solid characters on paper but like you said the chemistry was off and I think the fault of that has to got to the script and level design. Boring exposition talking over your entire campaign wont ever build that chemistry no matter who they choose, the characters presence and actions need to be relevant to the story at hand and it needs to be shown.

Absolutely agree. I personally just dislike when new characters are introduced for the sake of writing new characters. I’d much rather see them commit to some of the discarded characters we’ve seen appear in previous games.

With hindsight being 20/20, I purposed Locke being introduced in Halo 4, giving player a glimpse into his character there, instead him being force center stage in Halo 5.

The game opens similarly, with Halsey being interrogated by a mysterious figure, asking questions and getting answers to no avail. The game proceeds as it did, and upon the Chief coming into contact with Laskey and his Spartan IV fire team, we are introduced not only to him, but Palmer, and Locke. Locke accompanies Chief in clearing an LZ for their extraction where they all make it back to the Infinity.
This would give the players an introduction to his character, maybe softening the blow to his center stage push in Halo 5 alittle easier to swallow.

Later in a cutscene after the games finale, the interrogation scene is revisited. “…most of all do not underestimate him.” Halsey folder arms across her chest, staring into the unknown figured eyes. The figure stands up, “I’m not here to replace him ma’am, just to get him back.” The figure turns to the door adjusting his uniform’s collar, an ONI crest visible on his lapel, and additionally, a dark Spartan insignia. This could give players a quick glimpse at the next story.

In Halo 5, Locke is seen walking down a corridor adjusting his uniform, with the ONI and Spartan logos on it, revealing that he was the mysterious interrogator from the previous game.