The Evolution, of the Hunter

Out of all the enemies in the game, the Hunter most likely had the most tweaks to it in each title. So I thought it would be nice to see how the Hunter evolved over the years, please not that I am going by the normal difficulty.

Halo: Combat Evolved: Compared to all the other games, this Hunter has to be the easiest to kill, two pistol shots or a shotgun to the back takes it down.

Halo 2: A bit harder that the first one, but is still relatively weak, can be taken down by an enraged brute easily.

Halo 3/ODST: Much harder to kill, takes more dodging and shots to kill, but a couple of grenades will weaken it a bit.

Halo Reach/4: I am grouping these two together as this is when the Hunter was at its best, hard to kill, but you felt so satisfied when you took them down, not even a good couple of rockets could take them down, and you were afraid to get close as their melee could kill you in to hits, but you were happy when you took them down.

Halo 5:… -Yoink- THESE HUNTERS!!! These guys are almost impossible to kill! The shots follow you somewhat, the melee was way to fast, and while the ones and 4 and Reach made you feel proud of yourself for taking them down, these guys just makes you want to scream “Finally” when you take them out. They are not fun to play agianst, and you will go though so many guns to kill them!

Okay that part was ranty, but I just hate the Halo 5 Hunters, why did they make them so infuriating to kill?

My favorites are actually the Hunters in Halo 5, because they feel like the Hunters I read about in the novels. The boss variants are usually tedious to fight, but the campaign Hunters I find somewhat enjoyable. CE comes as second favorite because it’s really satisfying to kill them with a single Magnum round.

H5 Hunters felt the hardest, all the others they were super easy to kill. I’d like to know why in ODST did some of them have gold armor though

I always had a little laugh when I killed a hunter in one shot to the back on legendary CE. I think the way they are now is how they should be. They are designed to be like walking tanks. In Halo 5 they accomplish that

I have seen people ask in Halo Wars why the hunters are anti vehicle and vehicles basically do nothing against them.

Looking at at them from a lore standpoint, they probably weigh close to 750 pounds JUST IN WORM WEIGHT. That doesn’t include their heavily reinforced armor which easily tops them out as heavier than a ton.

Now, not only are they 750 pounds, they are 750 pounds of pure muscle. Rather than having essential organs, skeletons, ect. They are basically nearly made entirely out of muscle tissue. This gives them incredible strength. (Note each individual worm has its own organs but these organs are likely to account for a much smaller ratio of muscle to organ than that of a human).

So not only are they pure muscle and reinforced armor. They have beastly weapons and insane reactions. This is most notably because each worm is its own living entity, thus they function more on a hive mind mentality and basically have eyes wherever worms are visible.

So so with all of that said, Halo 5’s hunters are by far my favorite. They truly are anti vehicle and anti infantry in this one. Their raw brute strength and incredible reflexes and speed for sure show in this one. What their cannons cannot do, their shield bashing and weapon smashing sure can.

Halo 1’s Hunters were fun to mess with, as the AI were the most stupid and 1HKO was so satisfiying to do to them, especially on legendary and mythic legendary. But they didn’t feel right, as hunters weren’t clumbsy or stupid.

Halo 5 Hunters best Hunters. Not laughable pushovers, a variety of attacks, and a visual cue for the berserk state. You’re probably mad over the bullet sponge Warzone bosses.

Though I do think the homing shots are frustrating and the boss Hunters (especially the Swarmlords) I think the H5 ones were one of the more satisfying to kill for me, but I liked the H2 ones, mainly because it was only then that I realised that you could shoot them into the back to get a bunch of damage on it.

H5 Hunters are indeed the most challenging. But I’ve found they’re also the most canon lol. We finally got to see the worms forming the hive mind colony which was awesome. My favs are probably H3 and H5.

Cool thread idea. I actually really like the H5 hunter, it’s threatening as f*ck and I’m actually afraid of it when it looks at me.

> H5 Hunters felt the hardest, all the others they were super easy to kill. I’d like to know why in ODST did some of them have gold armor though

The gold armored hunters used fuel rod guns while the normal hunters used the assault beam.

> Out of all the enemies in the game, the Hunter most likely had the most tweaks to it in each title. So I thought it would be nice to see how the Hunter evolved over the years, please not that I am going by the normal difficulty.
>
> Halo: Combat Evolved: Compared to all the other games, this Hunter has to be the easiest to kill, two pistol shots or a shotgun to the back takes it down.
>
> Halo 2: A bit harder that the first one, but is still relatively weak, can be taken down by an enraged brute easily.
>
> Halo 3/ODST: Much harder to kill, takes more dodging and shots to kill, but a couple of grenades will weaken it a bit.
>
> Halo Reach/4: I am grouping these two together as this is when the Hunter was at its best, hard to kill, but you felt so satisfied when you took them down, not even a good couple of rockets could take them down, and you were afraid to get close as their melee could kill you in to hits, but you were happy when you took them down.
>
> Halo 5:… -Yoink- THESE HUNTERS!!! These guys are almost impossible to kill! The shots follow you somewhat, the melee was way to fast, and while the ones and 4 and Reach made you feel proud of yourself for taking them down, these guys just makes you want to scream “Finally” when you take them out. They are not fun to play agianst, and you will go though so many guns to kill them!
>
> Okay that part was ranty, but I just hate the Halo 5 Hunters, why did they make them so infuriating to kill?

Impossible to kill? Not really, I would say it is as difficult as it normally is which is pretty easy (even on legendary).