The End of an Era

Recently I wrote an article about how Halo 3 was the end of an era in FPS

Here’s the link: http://www.dablackalbino.com/2013/01/a-golden-era-of-halo.html

As halo fans, please share your opinions!

Nice article

Well written, but my grievances over Reach weren’t as heavy as yours were. I thought it still had map control but sacrificed the even playing field. Halo 4 has neither.

Indeed, after H3 the series went downhill (campaign-wise in my opinion).
I’m kind of slanted towards reach (the first Halo game I ever played) but Halo 4 is just an insult to the series.
I wish I found Halo in it’s heyday.

^ Yeah you missed a really great multiplayer experience with Halo 3 man.
It was the last Halo game that was truly balanced.

Reach was nothing like Halo 4, in fact I’m an Inheritor in Reach (from matchmaking, not firefight haha), but reach fell short for multiple reasons. A lack of unique and well designed (read: not forge world) maps as well as having very bad unique maps too (Boardwalk, Reflection… Sword Base… are you serious?) Sword Base was a good FFA map, but you had no space to breathe in 4v4.

Why Reach isn’t in the same league as Halo 2/3

  • Very very poor maps, and far less unique maps than Halo 2/3 (if you’re going to include forge world variants, we might as well include Foundry and Sandbox variants from Halo 3)

  • Armour abilities (mainly armour lock, sniper camo crouch combo and jetpack map breaking and evade) Sprint/Hologram were fine.

  • An absence of trueskill or a skill based rank system, there was that poor excuse arena which eventually ended up as one playlist which barely anyone played.

Halo reach was so poor from a competitive standpoint that it got removed from the MLG rotation.

I’ve said all that needs to be said about Halo 4 on previous articles I’ve written in regards to it:

http://www.dablackalbino.com/2012/07/halo-4-pre-release-speculation-part-1.html
http://www.dablackalbino.com/2012/11/halo-4-visually-beautiful-competitively.html

Thus other than “Halo 4 is in it’s own league of -Yoink-…” I’ve sold Halo 4 and I’m not even going to discuss it further. That game doesn’t deserve any more attention or energy.

I do remember the good ole days of halo 3, where I would actually have something to strive for online, being the level 50. In reach between the jetpack and no ranking system it ruined it for me. Halo 4 had many issues and I do not have a enough space for my complaints

Ok, I lost it at “Halo was essentially the Counter-Strike of Xbox Live”.
I must admit I like Halo 3 a lot, but with so much sectarian delight, I wonder if I played the same game just a few days ago.

I watched the video and wasn’t impressed. The article sounded someone living off nostalgia and never got over the hype that Halo 3 built up. Halo 3 was a mediocre game with so much hype built around people fail to realize the game was poorly done. It had very few good maps, it started the “Spartan Dress-Up” fad that has followed through Halo Reach and Halo 4. It was certainly the start of Halo changing because it introduces equipment, which led to AAs.

Not saying the game is bad, I played an entire day of Social BTB and Lone Wolves and had a blast. But all the maps were bad aside from Avalanche (remake) and Sandtrap. The BR was the equivalent of the DMR on Sandtrap. Everyone goes for the Splaser in Valhalla when they don’t get the Banshee. There is always a camper in The Pit. Guardian’s Camo and OS are poorly placed, etc, etc.

All Halo game have their problems, but how much they affect someone’s enjoyment of the game is different for everyone. Halo 2 was far superior IMO and Halo 3 failed to live up to and introduced a lot of things that made Halo bad.Halo 3 has a fun MP, no doubt about that, but it isn’t as good as people make it out to be.

This is all my opinion of course.

> I watched the video and wasn’t impressed. The article sounded someone living off nostalgia and never got over the hype that Halo 3 built up. Halo 3 was a mediocre game with so much hype built around people fail to realize the game was poorly done. It had very few good maps, <mark>it started the “Spartan Dress-Up” fad</mark> that has followed through Halo Reach and Halo 4. It was certainly the start of Halo changing because <mark>it introduces equipment, which led to AAs</mark>.

The armor in halo 3 was earned for completing achievements, not by playing for hours on end until you get enough credits to buy them. Skill vs. time logged.

And equipment was balanced because everyone had equal access to it, and could fight for it like they would fight over any other weapon on the map. Whereas say if you have hologram, you cant pick up that AC ability from that guy you just killed.

> Not saying the game is bad, I played an entire day of Social BTB and Lone Wolves and had a blast. <mark>But all the maps were bad aside from Avalanche (remake) and Sandtrap. The BR was the equivalent of the DMR on Sandtrap. Everyone goes for the Splaser in Valhalla when they don’t get the Banshee. There is always a camper in The Pit. Guardian’s Camo and OS are poorly placed, etc, etc</mark>.

There are plenty of good maps in halo 3 other than the 2 listed, more so than reach ever had, besides the forge world maps which were ok.

Yes, in halo 3 you spawned with a BR, and in reach you spawned with a dmr. People dont like halo 4 because you can spawn with both and one is literally better than the other one.

Map control at its finest. And the warthog was actually useful back then too.

Campers? Frag them.

I would rather have AC and OS poorly placed on the map than have them given directly to me.

> All Halo game have their problems, but how much they affect someone’s enjoyment of the game is different for everyone. <mark>Halo 2 was far superior IMO and Halo 3 failed to live up to and introduced a lot of things that made Halo bad.</mark>Halo 3 has a fun MP, no doubt about that, but it isn’t as good as people make it out to be.
>
> This is all my opinion of course.

I respect your opinion, but I dont see how you could complain about halo 3 when it basically brought back everything from halo 2 + more. (ok, so there was no dual needlers or spectre, I’ll give you that). I would sooner complain about the transition from halo 3 to reach than halo 2 to halo 3. Or even halo 4…

> Ok, I lost it at “Halo was essentially the Counter-Strike of Xbox Live”.
> I must admit I like Halo 3 a lot, but with so much sectarian delight, I wonder if I played the same game just a few days ago.

It’s a fair analogy, counter-strike was the biggest PC fps multiplayer and Halo 3 was the biggest 360 fps multiplayer until 2009.

The game you played a few days ago isn’t the same game being talked about as it’s long past it’s hay-day now. It’s no longer supported and the population is small, comparing it in it’s prime to now is an incoherent use of logic.

Sadly for me the days of playing halo in general day in and day out ended awhile ago. It just wasn’t the same after halo 3 for sure. I still play halo games from time to time but it’s no longer the one game to rule them all anymore.

The H4 “fans” are the “haters” in Halo3 threads and Halo3 “fans” are the “haters” in H4 threads… Halo community is broken, its clearly proof.

> The H4 “fans” are the “haters” in Halo3 threads and Halo3 “fans” are the “haters” in H4 threads… Halo community is broken, its clearly proof.

Definitely. This is undeniable, a lot of diehards left and a lot of people who are EX-COD turned up on the Halo Reach and H4 doorsteps.

> The H4 “fans” are the “haters” in Halo3 threads and Halo3 “fans” are the “haters” in H4 threads… Halo community is broken, its clearly proof.

Yet both can unite hating Reach :wink:

Oh man do I miss the old H3 days of when you actually had to be good to win. Those were the days.

I was pretty annoyed at Halo 3 right before Reach Launched but coming back to it feels really good the only thing I wish it had was an improved netcode like Reach and Halo 4 and it would be just about perfect.

Definitely wish Halo3’s population was still high. Tried to find games the other day and it was taking me about 15 minutes to find half a lobby.
Halo is what really got me into gaming.
Sure, I played the classics. but Halo 2…my God Halo 2 was -Yoinking!- epic.

and personally, The campaigns past 3 were shotty and ill made compared to 1-3.

and truthfully, When i first put Halo4 into my disc tray and heard the opening music theme. i knew I wouldn’t like it. And not to my surprise…I don’t like it. I played a decent amount of MP and campaign to make a healthy decision. To stop playing.

Next game that’s out I’m not buying it and waiting on reviews like OP’s to fill me in on the status…

<mark>Sorry for the rant</mark>

> ^ Yeah you missed a really great multiplayer experience with Halo 3 man.
> It was the last Halo game that was truly balanced.
>
> Reach was nothing like Halo 4, in fact I’m an Inheritor in Reach (from matchmaking, not firefight haha), but reach fell short for multiple reasons. A lack of unique and well designed (read: not forge world) maps as well as having very bad unique maps too (Boardwalk, Reflection… Sword Base… are you serious?) Sword Base was a good FFA map, but you had no space to breathe in 4v4.
>
> Why Reach isn’t in the same league as Halo 2/3
>
> - Very very poor maps, and far less unique maps than Halo 2/3 (if you’re going to include forge world variants, we might as well include Foundry and Sandbox variants from Halo 3)
>
> - Armour abilities (mainly armour lock, sniper camo crouch combo and jetpack map breaking and evade) Sprint/Hologram were fine.
>
> - An absence of trueskill or a skill based rank system, there was that poor excuse arena which eventually ended up as one playlist which barely anyone played.
>
> Halo reach was so poor from a competitive standpoint that it got removed from the MLG rotation.
>
> I’ve said all that needs to be said about Halo 4 on previous articles I’ve written in regards to it:
>
> http://www.dablackalbino.com/2012/07/halo-4-pre-release-speculation-part-1.html
> http://www.dablackalbino.com/2012/11/halo-4-visually-beautiful-competitively.html
>
> Thus other than “Halo 4 is in it’s own league of -Yoink!-…” I’ve sold Halo 4 and I’m not even going to discuss it further. That game doesn’t deserve any more attention or energy.

I agree with everything you said except for Boardwalk, Reflection, and Sword Base being bad maps. I love all 3 of those maps, especially Reflection because it’s the remake of Ivory Tower from Halo 2. Sword Base is the ultimate “map control” map. If you didn’t have top control, it was extremely hard to break it. The team controlling the top just needed to watch the lifts. You could still get to the top via the bridges, but it definitely was difficult to do if the other team was coordinated. But I feel like I enjoy that type of map, because you can dominate when you have control, but when you don’t it’s like a tactical puzzle trying to break the other teams setup. And Boardwalk I think was intended to be a attack/defense type map for gametypes like 1 flag and 1 bomb. It definitely wasn’t balanced for slayer, because one spawn always got to the rockets down below first. Both sides had a sniper and a shotgun, but the defense side always got rockets. So it was bad for slayer balance wise, but it was a sweet 1 flag/1 bomb map.

Armor Abilities were what ruin Halo for me. I could deal with boring map design and the lack of a true ranking system. AA’s completely ruined the balance that Halo had maintained for three games. Don’t get me wrong I played (and enjoyed) Reach quite frequently and I’ve played (and enjoyed as well) Halo 4 since release but Halo 3 was the last true arena shooter.

> I watched the video and wasn’t impressed. The article sounded someone living off nostalgia and never got over the hype that Halo 3 built up. <mark>Halo 3 was a mediocre game with so much hype built around people fail to realize the game was poorly done.</mark> It had very few good maps, it started the “Spartan Dress-Up” fad that has followed through Halo Reach and Halo 4. It was certainly the start of Halo changing because it introduces equipment, which led to AAs.
>
> <mark>Not saying the game is bad, I played an entire day of Social BTB and Lone Wolves and had a blast.</mark>

You’re not saying the game is bad huh? You just called it a mediocre and poorly designed game, and yet you played it a whole day and had a blast? I fail to see how that makes sense.

And I wish there was a dislike button. How can you say Halo 3 is mediocre? What is really that bad about it? You played it all day, and it was a great game.