The effective implementation of sprint.

It kind of baffles me on some level that people are STILL trying to get Sprint removed from the game. Like their rants are making any sort of difference whatsoever… It’s sounding like a broken record at this point.

Here’s the deal… Halo CAN have Sprint and still be a great game. You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.

I was skeptical too… HIGHLY skeptical in fact, going into the H5 Beta. Not only of Sprint but of the several new abilities that were introduced as well. However H5 turned out to play beautifully from a pure gameplay standpoint, and while we have these added layers to consider in combat, the FOUNDATION of the game remains the same as Halo 1, 2, and 3. Balanced-starts (same weapons AND abilities, map control, and Halo’s Golden Triangle… guns, grenades, and melee). It’s all here!

I really don’t feel like going into specifics and really, you all know how it works, and the past repercussions on gameplay… and it mostly comes down to personal opinion anyway, but being a Halo fan since the beginning, and playing thousands of hours online at a fairly high level, I can say that 343 has eliminated all major complaints I have had with Sprint. Not only that but the new abilities have also brought added layers to Halo’s combat. They present new situations where players’ wit and raw skill and reaction time can be further tested.

I welcome these changes… I have enjoyed learning and mastering new mechanics of a new Halo game and adapting to new maps and their designs. What 343 has done has given us a very well thought-out, cohesive multiplayer shooter, in overall vision and design. Everything is seamless… Play H4 and tell me how clunky the gameplay and mechanics were… It was a mess! It is a prime example of a gaming franchise undergoing an identity crisis. It was tangible, even down to a mechanical level…

End point, Halo 5 is a fantastic game, even with Sprint. Is it perfect? No… Were any of the past games? No… Does it need to be? No… What I do think it is though, is an appropriate leap forward for Halo’s gameplay… If it needed to be done, for whatever reason, this was the way to go.

I love traditional OG Halo… but I love what 343 has done with Halo 5 too and look forward to see its procession into H6, provided that it STAYS TRUE to Halo’s FOUNDATIONAL elements and ideals. THIS is the key factor here… it’s not Sprint.

Not to be mean man but there is already a large sprint thread Here. Mods will likely lock this one. Might wanna post your thoughts there. I agree 100% though.

I agree to a point. 343 has done well with sprint in this game, but also just having it in the game drastically alters the maps from a core design standpoint. You have to make the maps larger to compensate for sprint. We’re NEVER gonna have maps like the classics again, because if you kept the maps smaller everyone can run away even easier than before. Imagine having sprint on Lockout. Would not work.

The only thing that fundamentally changed Halo’s gameplay is sprint; 5 still has the whole gun-melee-grenade gig going on with it.

I also face-palm when people claim that thrusters and ground-pounds fundamentally changed Halo 5’s gameplay, but when CoD does it the same people say that it’s always been the same.

> 2533274814405955;3:
> I agree to a point. 343 has done well with sprint in this game, but also just having it in the game drastically alters the maps from a core design standpoint. You have to make the maps larger to compensate for sprint. We’re NEVER gonna have maps like the classics again, because if you kept the maps smaller everyone can run away even easier than before. Imagine having sprint on Lockout. Would not work.

What you say is true, and you know what? That’s ok…

Halo 5 has plenty of great maps, some with hints of a classic feel even. Nothing feels purely OG, but as with the gameplay, the map design philosophy was expanded upon to better accommodate the usage of new abilities (as we all know)… and they’ve done a pretty good job with this as well.

> 2533274873580796;1:
> You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.

Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.

> 2533274873580796;1:
> the FOUNDATION of the game remains the same as Halo 1, 2, and 3. Balanced-starts (same weapons AND abilities, map control, and Halo’s Golden Triangle… guns, grenades, and melee). It’s all here!

No it’s not. Sprint disables your ability to shoot, and meleeing changes into the Spartan charge move, so you don’t have a triangle but some weird trapezoid instead.

> 2533274801176260;6:
> > 2533274873580796;1:
> > You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.
>
>
> Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.

Running away from gunfights was always prevalent in the series. In Halo 3, for example, because the maps were on a much smaller scaled due to the lack of sprint, anyone could just retreat into the corners or somewhere else to escape. It happened to me a bit often, actually.

> 2533274895603860;7:
> > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > 2533274873580796;1:
> > > You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.
> >
> >
> > Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.
>
>
> Running away from gunfights was always prevalent in the series. In Halo 3, for example, because the maps were on a much smaller scaled due to the lack of sprint, anyone could just retreat into the corners or somewhere else to escape. It happened to me a bit often, actually.

Yes, but the other player was still able to pursue while firing. If you were then still able to escape around a corner and let your shield recharge, you positioned yourself strategically close to a corner or another shortcut. But now, the attacker has to pick one over the other, disempowered when he was actually winning. You could stand in the middle of an empty space without shields and you could still thrust out of the line of fire, then run to the door on the far side of the room.

> 2533274801176260;6:
> > 2533274873580796;1:
> > You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.
>
>
> Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274873580796;1:
> > the FOUNDATION of the game remains the same as Halo 1, 2, and 3. Balanced-starts (same weapons AND abilities, map control, and Halo’s Golden Triangle… guns, grenades, and melee). It’s all here!
>
>
> No it’s not. Sprint disables your ability to shoot, and meleeing changes into the Spartan charge move, so you don’t have a triangle but some weird trapezoid instead.

So… what’s your point? You know not to Sprint infinitely, at least I hope you know not to… lol

Spartan Charge can be annoying, but it’s not really a “problem.” I don’t get it… if you have a problem with lowering your weapon in certain situations… DON’T LOWER YOUR WEAPON!

Running away barely helps you in H5, especially against a good team, and that’s IF the player is even able to Sprint away considering factors such as stopping power and the somewhat faster TTK’s across the board. Then they have to put up with delayed recharge. I really don’t see a solid argument here…

> 2533274873580796;9:
> So… what’s your point? You know not to Sprint infinitely, at least I hope you know not to… lol

The fleeing player can run indefinitely until he just happens to reach his teammates or a power weapon, because the attacker is either forced to lower his weapon or let the kill slide.

> 2533274873580796;9:
> Spartan Charge can be annoying, but it’s not really a “problem.” I don’t get it… if you have a problem with lowering your weapon in certain situations… DON’T LOWER YOUR WEAPON!

???
Sprint forces you to lower your weapon.

> 2533274873580796;9:
> Running away barely helps you in H5, especially against a good team, and that’s IF the player is even able to Sprint away considering factors such as stopping power and the somewhat faster TTK’s across the board. Then they have to put up with delayed recharge. I really don’t see a solid argument here…

Then look closer. H5G allows a player to flee indefinitely, forcing his attacker to either… why am I even repeating myself? Point being, the H5G-iteration of sprint is the most broken and unbalanced version of the entire franchise. (So far, that is. 343 has a track record of screwing up in ways that were previously inconceivable.) At least sprint in Halo 4 and Reach was limited, so you could still finish somebody off after it ran out. Now, it just doesn’t even do that anymore…

> 2533274801176260;10:
> > 2533274873580796;9:
> > So… what’s your point? You know not to Sprint infinitely, at least I hope you know not to… lol
>
>
> The fleeing player can run indefinitely until he just happens to reach his teammates or a power weapon, because the attacker is either forced to lower his weapon or let the kill slide.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274873580796;9:
> > Spartan Charge can be annoying, but it’s not really a “problem.” I don’t get it… if you have a problem with lowering your weapon in certain situations… DON’T LOWER YOUR WEAPON!
>
>
> ???
> Sprint forces you to lower your weapon.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274873580796;9:
> > Running away barely helps you in H5, especially against a good team, and that’s IF the player is even able to Sprint away considering factors such as stopping power and the somewhat faster TTK’s across the board. Then they have to put up with delayed recharge. I really don’t see a solid argument here…
>
>
> Then look closer. H5G allows a player to flee indefinitely, forcing his attacker to either… why am I even repeating myself? Point being, the H5G-iteration of sprint is the most broken and unbalanced version of the entire franchise. (So far, that is. 343 has a track record of screwing up in ways that were previously inconceivable.) At least sprint in Halo 4 and Reach was limited, so you could still finish somebody off after it ran out. Now, it just doesn’t even do that anymore…

You seem really unaware of how games and Sprint even play out in Halo 5… Where are your H5 stats?

“Running away indefinitely” will get you killed every single time, especially against a well-coordinated team… and they will take you out FAST. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a player just turn and run. It’s a death-sentence.

Sprinting is way more balanced here than any previous Halo game. It discourages you to sprint away from gun-fights, if you do you can’t regain health… You’re a sitting duck! You have to know the appropriate times to use it to your advantage, it’s a skill in the game, just like anything else… They’re very brief moments…

> 2533274873580796;11:
> “Running away indefinitely” will get you killed every single time, especially against a well-coordinated team… and they will take you out FAST. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a player just turn and run. It’s a death-sentence.

Wrong.
Such wrong.

> 2533274873580796;11:
> Sprinting is way more balanced here than any previous Halo game. It discourages you to sprint away from gun-fights, if you do you can’t regain health… You’re a sitting duck! You have to know the appropriate times to use it to your advantage, it’s a skill in the game, just like anything else… They’re very brief moments…

Au contraire, mon ami, it is highly encouraged to run away from losing gunfights every single time since the pursuing player has no chance of ever taking you down because your sprint doesn’t run out like in previous titles. The only difference is, in Reach and 4, you were forced to find cover quick, like a hiding spot, whereas now you just keep going until you find your teammates to wreck your attacker (who is also on low shields while running), until he gets bored of the cat-and-mouse game or until he loses track thanks to the useless motion tracker range. This is most definitely intended, otherwise radar would be eighty meters instead of eighteen. And none of this has anything to do with “skill”. It’s not a skill to push one button when close to death.

> 2533274801176260;8:
> > 2533274895603860;7:
> > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > 2533274873580796;1:
> > > > You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.
> > >
> > >
> > > Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.
> >
> >
> > Running away from gunfights was always prevalent in the series. In Halo 3, for example, because the maps were on a much smaller scaled due to the lack of sprint, anyone could just retreat into the corners or somewhere else to escape. It happened to me a bit often, actually.
>
>
> Yes, but the other player was still able to pursue while firing. If you were then still able to escape around a corner and let your shield recharge, you positioned yourself strategically close to a corner or another shortcut. But now, the attacker has to pick one over the other, disempowered when he was actually winning. You could stand in the middle of an empty space without shields and you could still thrust out of the line of fire, then run to the door on the far side of the room.

I see what you mean. Fair points. I guess it now depends on the player: I’ve both killed players who tried to retreat and there have been players who got away.

Sprint is fine in Halo 5, it has a slow start up period where getting shot knocks you out of it and the unlimited sprint is a non-issue if the opponent has thumbs.

In the video examples, the player got away because of thruster more than sprint, probably could have gotten away without sprint and had his shields back anyway.

People just like to complain

> 2533274895603860;13:
> > 2533274801176260;8:
> > > 2533274895603860;7:
> > > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > > 2533274873580796;1:
> > > > > You can’t go and say that it can’t work due to the problems of Reach and H4 because we now have H5 where Sprint has been balanced and practically discouraged in a roundabout way.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Sprint is in no way balanced in H5G and it never will be as long as a player losing a gunfight can suddenly enforce movement superiority at the press of a button. In fact, it might be the most broken iteration of sprint yet, seeing as the developers made it infinite now.
> > >
> > >
> > > Running away from gunfights was always prevalent in the series. In Halo 3, for example, because the maps were on a much smaller scaled due to the lack of sprint, anyone could just retreat into the corners or somewhere else to escape. It happened to me a bit often, actually.
> >
> >
> > Yes, but the other player was still able to pursue while firing. If you were then still able to escape around a corner and let your shield recharge, you positioned yourself strategically close to a corner or another shortcut. But now, the attacker has to pick one over the other, disempowered when he was actually winning. You could stand in the middle of an empty space without shields and you could still thrust out of the line of fire, then run to the door on the far side of the room.
>
>
> I see what you mean. Fair points. I guess it now depends on the player: I’ve both killed players who tried to retreat and there have been players who got away.

But it’s generally easier to escape with sprint, than in a game without sprint.
As the attacker is more or less always presented with two choices that are negative to his/her position. Sometimes it works in the escaper’s favour, others it doesn’t.

If you’re taking shots, you can’t sprint, or am I wrong ?

I think sprint is fine in H5G and is as well implemented as its going to be, but with that said I still don’t thinks it’s necessary in Arena and would like to see it removed and only added for Warzone.

Failing that, a classic playlist to cater to all fans and keep everyone happy.

> 2533274801176260;12:
> > 2533274873580796;11:
> > “Running away indefinitely” will get you killed every single time, especially against a well-coordinated team… and they will take you out FAST. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a player just turn and run. It’s a death-sentence.
>
>
> Wrong.
> Such wrong.

This never happens! Lmao… and I still don’t see your stats.

> 2533274814405955;3:
> I agree to a point. 343 has done well with sprint in this game, but also just having it in the game drastically alters the maps from a core design standpoint. You have to make the maps larger to compensate for sprint. We’re NEVER gonna have maps like the classics again, because if you kept the maps smaller everyone can run away even easier than before. Imagine having sprint on Lockout. Would not work.

Empire, Fathom, Truth, and Regret are all small maps. You can still make small maps with sprint in the game.

> 2600292642016732;18:
> > 2533274814405955;3:
> > I agree to a point. 343 has done well with sprint in this game, but also just having it in the game drastically alters the maps from a core design standpoint. You have to make the maps larger to compensate for sprint. We’re NEVER gonna have maps like the classics again, because if you kept the maps smaller everyone can run away even easier than before. Imagine having sprint on Lockout. Would not work.
>
>
> Empire, Fathom, Truth, and Regret are all small maps. You can still make small maps with sprint in the game.

Sure, but they’re stretched out. Sprint gives us the illusion of moving faster, but when the maps are stretched out to compensate for it then we’re not really getting from point A to B faster than in previous games. I used Lockout as an example. That wouldn’t work too well in Halo 5 because you HAVE to stretch it out, and in doing so you lose some of what made it great, and you can’t keep it the same because it would be a terrible clash with Halo 5’s movement system.

I see both sides that are for sprint and are against it. I personally like the older maps and the slower pace (even though it kind of does feel sluggish compared to now), but I also enjoy Halo 5’s style and haven’t had this much consistent fun with Halo since 3.

> 2533274801176260;12:
> > 2533274873580796;11:
> > “Running away indefinitely” will get you killed every single time, especially against a well-coordinated team… and they will take you out FAST. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a player just turn and run. It’s a death-sentence.
>
>
> Wrong.
> Such wrong.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274873580796;11:
> > Sprinting is way more balanced here than any previous Halo game. It discourages you to sprint away from gun-fights, if you do you can’t regain health… You’re a sitting duck! You have to know the appropriate times to use it to your advantage, it’s a skill in the game, just like anything else… They’re very brief moments…
>
>
> Au contraire, mon ami, it is highly encouraged to run away from losing gunfights every single time since the pursuing player has no chance of ever taking you down because your sprint doesn’t run out like in previous titles. The only difference is, in Reach and 4, you were forced to find cover quick, like a hiding spot, whereas now you just keep going until you find your teammates to wreck your attacker (who is also on low shields while running), until he gets bored of the cat-and-mouse game or until he loses track thanks to the useless motion tracker range. This is most definitely intended, otherwise radar would be eighty meters instead of eighteen. And none of this has anything to do with “skill”. It’s not a skill to push one button when close to death.

Both from the beta, it has been changed since