The Domain

Does anyone know who created The Domain and what exactly it is? I picture it as a vast library of knowledge, however in the Forerunner books it references the Domain slowing or being inaccessible as a result of the Halo’s traversing slipspace, so now I’m unsure.

> 2533274794722209;1:
> Does anyone know who created The Domain and what exactly it is? I picture it as a vast library of knowledge, however in the Forerunner books it references the Domain slowing or being inaccessible as a result of the Halo’s traversing slipspace, so now I’m unsure.

It was created by the precursors. The flood was actually slowly cutting off the forerunners ability to access it. It’s just a form of information repository.

Yep, the Domain is a massive storage area for knowledge and information that the Forerunners could connect with before the end of the Forerunner - Flood war

In the Forerunner Saga we’re told that the Domain is the Organon.
In Halo Fractures: Promises to Keep, we’re told that the “Organon” is a corruption of the name, “Abbadon”, who is a Precursor Ancilla, whose memory seems to consist of a metaphysical core wrapped in Neural Physics, spanning the entire Milky Way Galaxy.
So in short, the Domain is the memory of a Precursor AI which was used as the Forerunner super-internet, and was then wiped when the Halos fired, and finally rebooted when Bornstellar’s team did so.

I think it’s safer to say Abaddon was a key that allowed the Forerunners to access the Domain and guided them on how to use it, not strictly the same thing and being the Domain or it’s memories being the Domain. If so, then the Domain should have met its end, I believe, when Mendicant Bias unleashed the power of the Halos on Maethrillian, but we know the Domain was still active in some capacity afterward and only shattered when the Halos wiped the galaxy. The Gravemind before it’s destruction by the Halos tells the Librarian that the Domain and Organon are one and the same, but even the Gravemind is said to not truly understand the whole truth. Abaddon’s name was morphed over time into the Organon, but considering his task of guiding the Forerunners in how to use the Domain, it isn’t a stretch that over time his legend could expand to that of being able to access all Precursor technology.

The only real constant is that the Precursors made the Domain.

> 2533274812652989;5:
> I think it’s safer to say Abaddon was a key that allowed the Forerunners to access the Domain and guided them on how to use it, not strictly the same thing and being the Domain or it’s memories being the Domain. If so, then the Domain should have met its end, I believe, when Mendicant Bias unleashed the power of the Halos on Maethrillian, but we know the Domain was still active in some capacity afterward and only shattered when the Halos wiped the galaxy. The Gravemind before it’s destruction by the Halos tells the Librarian that the Domain and Organon are one and the same, but even the Gravemind is said to not truly understand the whole truth. Abaddon’s name was morphed over time into the Organon, but considering his task of guiding the Forerunners in how to use the Domain, it isn’t a stretch that over time his legend could expand to that of being able to access all Precursor technology.
>
> The only real constant is that the Precursors made the Domain.

So its possible that Cortana, in Halo 5, wasn’t actually Cortana. That could have been the original AI (Abaddon) taking her form and some of her rampant personalities when she touched the Domain in the Didact’s ship?

Nah, I don’t think that’s very likely. Folks from 343 Industries and other sources of canon say it is Cortana. Now, they could be lying and reveal her to be Abaddon…but that’s going to cause a lot of people to go, “Who?” so I don’t see it as that great of a narrative choice.